Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Zoom Tool Update Bug Report Thread

Chrono said: Trevor S. said: Chrono said: Missingno said: Trevor S. said: Chuck, those of us that are paying money for this are absolutely entitled to get to use the old, better system that we have been paying for. Paying money for a service actually does entitle you to it's services. I wouldn't give Chuck the dignity of a responce.&nbsp; The account was made today and he has 0 hours.&nbsp; If this isn't a troll this is roll20 staff trying, and failing, at damage control. I'd bet more on a jerk trying to stir the pot, since I doubt anyone on the dev team is this transparently stupid and willing to get people angry at the team. The Roll20 staff is unbelievably stupid, theyve proven that many times over where have you been? Stupid in ways that involve the running of the website, not how human beings work. <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/9iwarj/after_5_years_on_roll20_i_just_cancelled_and/" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/9iwarj/after_5_years_on_roll20_i_just_cancelled_and/</a>
I mean, that SHOULD fix my biggest issue (assuming it works), and good on you for at least trying to get it out quickly. Thanks for that at least.
Trevor S. said: Chrono said: Trevor S. said: Chrono said: Missingno said: Trevor S. said: Chuck, those of us that are paying money for this are absolutely entitled to get to use the old, better system that we have been paying for. Paying money for a service actually does entitle you to it's services. I wouldn't give Chuck the dignity of a responce.&nbsp; The account was made today and he has 0 hours.&nbsp; If this isn't a troll this is roll20 staff trying, and failing, at damage control. I'd bet more on a jerk trying to stir the pot, since I doubt anyone on the dev team is this transparently stupid and willing to get people angry at the team. The Roll20 staff is unbelievably stupid, theyve proven that many times over where have you been? Stupid in ways that involve the running of the website, not how human beings work. <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/9iwarj/after_5_years_on_roll20_i_just_cancelled_and/" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/9iwarj/after_5_years_on_roll20_i_just_cancelled_and/</a> I was generally meaning after that idiocy, but you are correct that I did not specify such. They've been fairly good since then, notably giving up subreddit control among other things.
Drespar said: Hi everyone! We have pushed out a hotfix that resolves the bug with the +/- keyboard shortcuts interfering with Radial Menu edits. If you still running into this issue, please refresh the VTT and try again. If you are still experiencing this issue after a refresh, let us know!&nbsp; Thank you!!!
Drespar said: Hi everyone! We have pushed out a hotfix that resolves the bug with the +/- keyboard shortcuts interfering with Radial Menu edits. If you still running into this issue, please refresh the VTT and try again. If you are still experiencing this issue after a refresh, let us know!&nbsp; Oh hey!&nbsp; Thanks for fixing this one so quickly.
Chrono said: I was generally meaning after that idiocy, but you are correct that I did not specify such. They've been fairly good since then, notably giving up subreddit control among other things. Absolutely agreed, but its gonna take a whole lot for them to earn our respect back and they should be mature enough to accept that and try. Ignoring our complaints is not a good look. I know this is off topic, but you folks need to hear this. Do. Better.
Drespar said: Hi everyone! We have pushed out a hotfix that resolves the bug with the +/- keyboard shortcuts interfering with Radial Menu edits. If you still running into this issue, please refresh the VTT and try again. If you are still experiencing this issue after a refresh, let us know!&nbsp; Thank you very much! Now just please turn back the scrollbars and all will be well :)
Hi!&nbsp; I am disabled and work in web accessibility. To go off Lex’s point: people who need the keyboard (and who cannot use the trackpad or a mouse) are being hit by this pretty hard too. It’s not even “special” like some special consideration: we want to play with our friends. &nbsp;it literally makes the difference whether we can use the service. Or DM. Or play in games with friends.&nbsp; I do agree that I wish testing procedures should be looked at but that isn’t the issue with dev teams, that is a matter of management giving adequate time for use cases more than one case, and time for making sure things adhere to existing web tech standards like the WCAG. (-speaking of access, even using these forums is difficult due to focus changes on mobile/using VoiceOver...)&nbsp;
Now the top right slide bar and the bottom one to scroll over and make the Legacy check box change it all back to the way it was for most of us I am betting please. Thanks for at least fixing the +/- in 4 hours, but that's only half the battle for my games and players. Tom&nbsp;
Drespar said: Hi everyone! We have pushed out a hotfix that resolves the bug with the +/- keyboard shortcuts interfering with Radial Menu edits. If you still running into this issue, please refresh the VTT and try again. If you are still experiencing this issue after a refresh, let us know!&nbsp; That makes the VTT usable again at least. I can be grateful for this, but this update is half-baked at best and should never have been pushed live in this state. Obvious trolls aside, I haven't seen such negativity on these forums since Nolan censured Reddit.&nbsp;
Chuck F. said: What are are you guys on about? Me and my mate tested out the zoom and it works fine and is far smoother than that clunky mess we had before. Honestly, you all sound pretty entitled about a new update your unfamiliar with and dont like at first. No one here even gave it a proper chance. People are cancelling games over this? Seriously? This is a joke and you should be embarrassed for acting like children. I love roll20 and I think you all should not be so harsh. wen you and your mates were testing this "zoom that works fine " did you ever think to try the most used 2 keys in the game ? because i can adapt to terrible zooms and what knot but i don't think having a round last 10 times longer because my players need to pull out an calculator every time they take damage or have to wait for me to calculate damage on every enemy they hit when i chuck a horde at them . making the -/+ not do what they have always done ,its such a neglect of testing im starting to think that the testers never tested it at all but just scrolled the mouse up and down and called it a day&nbsp;
It's usable now with the +/- fixed, but it's still significantly less usable than it was before the update.
To be fair, I didnt even know about -/+ functionality and ive never used those keys ever before on Roll20. My first reaction was still how overwhelmingly terrible it is, so while we appreciate you fixing that for those that use it, the entire system is still completely horridly borked.
Zoom tool is absolutely terrible. Readd the zoom bar ASAP.&nbsp;
I've played around with the interface for about an hour or so. And while I can appreciate the effort, its making me add extra steps in order to pan, scroll, and zoom, instead of streamlining. No, I do not use a mouse and do not plan to. Maybe with a mouse it works better, but as someone who solely uses keyboard and trackpad...this just makes it harder, and if I accidentally forget to click the right thing, the page will go Back instead of around.&nbsp; If there was a option to choose between the old system OR the new one, then it would be a lot less of a hassle. Not a box that disables the scroll function. A choice to go between either version.&nbsp;
Falk said: Please bring back the +/- for tokens and their HP.&nbsp; I don't care how inconvenient zooming may become, just need to get back the +/- for the tokens. This should be fixed by now. Try to reload your campaign.
Hi everyone, We are noticing that things are getting off topic. Please note that our Code of Conduct is still in full effect in this thread. This thread is intended to locate bugs and collect feedback, keep the conversation focused and civil. We understand that updates such as this can get heated. However, further infractions of our Code of Conduct will be removed.
You're going to lose paying members if you don't give us the option to use scroll bars again. At least think about this from a business perspective roll20.
Seven said: As the first comment, my horizontal scroll is broken. I cannot scroll left-right with two fingers, or with horizontal scroll buttons. This occurs regardless of legacy setting or alt key state.&nbsp; I am using a windows surface (windows 10) and the built in trackpad. However, as far as I can tell, this not due to an inherent issue with trackpads, but rather that the page does not have a side-to-side scroll bar/state. I believe this due to the multiple people having this issue, and the side-to-side scroll buttons on my mouse not working either.&nbsp; Bingo. Nailed the biggest issue on the head.
So I've now tried this in three difference browsers on four different OSs, and I'm curious if the Roll20 staff can share the Operating System, Browser version, and hardware (trackpad? mouse?) that was used when they looked at this and decided it was an improvement. Maybe it's the just combinations I've tried and there's some browser/OS/mouse combination that makes this look good? Some people are saying that it looks good on their systems, but I haven't yet seen it look good anywhere...

Edited 1572993761
Drespar said: Hi everyone, We are noticing that things are getting off topic. Please note that our Code of Conduct is still in full effect in this thread. This thread is intended to locate bugs and collect feedback, keep the conversation focused and civil. We understand that updates such as this can get heated. However, further infractions of our Code of Conduct will be removed. Seriously? Look nevermind, the new system is really really bad and its not what ive been paying for. Please give us the option to use the old system. ACTUALLY give us the option, dont call something legacy even though it isnt please. We dont appreciate that kind of behavior.
Count me in as another who can't get horizontal scrolling to work on a track pad regardless of the legacy setting. I'm on Chrome&nbsp;78.0.3904.70 on OS X 10.14.6, using a Magic Track pad (the old version which uses AA batteries) which I use in addition to a Logitech USB mouse. (I use it mostly for exactly this purpose, as a dedicated 2D scroller.) I was very relieved when I found the "use legacy alt scroll wheel zoom" option because zooming is something I do rarely and don't mind being just a little fiddly whereas scrolling is something I do all the time . I tend to like to find the right level of zoom and then want it to stick that way. (For this reason, I DO appreciate the numerical read out. That way I can easily go back to 80% or w/e and have it be exactly right, though I would like some way to get it more fine grained like some others have mentioned.) The interaction between those two things is pretty painful. If I go to scroll by habit and it just messes up my entire display, that's a really unpleasant moment, even if I can remember what it is and get it back. That said, and I know it's a bug and you're working on replicating it, being unable to scroll horizontally without right click dragging (which will be really hard for my players who use track pads full time to do) is a nightmare. The ideal, of course, would be for native gestures to work, but I know this may be complicated or impractical. If I could two finger scroll in both directions on my track pad and pinch to zoom, I'd love it. (Though I'd still prefer to have my scroll wheel scroll.) So what I'm saying is, bottom line, please always keep an option for scroll wheels to scroll instead of zoom, even if it's an option I have to select and please find a way to track pad scrolling. I'm sure you're working on it!
Hi! This update has made the game editor completely unusable for me. I wasn't able to play in a game tonight, and the game I run might have to be put on hold until this is fixed.
Please restore scrollbar functionality, at least within the legacy zoom option! Thank you for listening and fixing the + / - hotkey issue, but having to hold down the right click button severely impairs my ability to use this system due to joint issues.
Who needed this function is the question, there is so much we need on roll20 other than this...
Chiming in to say that the new changes, especially when on by default, feel awkward to use, and zooming in is very choppy and disorienting. Removing functionality such as the scroll bars from even the legacy version also feels like a very questionable decision. I have no qualms with a functional version of this system being implemented as an option, but as a direct replacement with a worse version of what we used to have being offered as a way to placate people who dislike the new system seems like a misstep.&nbsp;

Edited 1572994946
No, we hate it. I went to the gear to return to legacy, and didn't notice any difference - it didn't revert back after a refresh. Also, it's HUGELY ANNOYING to have to swap between the pointer and the pan view hand tool to drag my map view around on a larger play area.
Drespar said: Hi everyone! We have pushed out a hotfix that resolves the bug with the +/- keyboard shortcuts interfering with Radial Menu edits. If you still running into this issue, please refresh the VTT and try again. If you are still experiencing this issue after a refresh, let us know!&nbsp; It worked for me. Thank you for repairing.&nbsp; The zoom is still choppy. Are you able to advise if this is part of the ongoing review/resolution?
Paragon said: Who needed this function is the question, there is so much we need on roll20 other than this... Honestly, I would like zooming being centred on the cursor (like on Google Maps).&nbsp; A huge chunk of software supports that, and having to re-center after zooming before was a bit irritating.&nbsp; Using alt did take some getting used to, and not having to use it would potentially also be nice.&nbsp; Knowing the actual zoom level is also nice, and keyboard shortcuts are always great. Seriously, if this update had full Google Maps style navigation across the board, I would be delighted by the massive improvement. Sure, I would rather they concentrate on feature requests that have more than ten votes but just showing that they're moving to a more modern UI would be good positive movement.

Edited 1572996310
Absolutely unusable for me. I used my mouse touch to move around the maps. This function was entirely removed, and is not reenabled by the "legacy" option. Using the new function causes an insane amount of wiggling and shaking, giving me sea sickness. I don't actually suffer sea sickness. I am now forced to use "legacy" scroll in order to use the system without risking throwing up, and it does not actually let me zoom - it moves the map up and down. It's been less than an hour and I am already considering to put my games on hiatus while this gets fixed.
When you have a token selected and go to type a negative into a bar slot, ie. HP Bar. The '-' will still zoom you out, same goes with a positive value addition such as '+' whatever. Kind of annoying. Please can you make the zoom in/out with the +/- keys context sensitive to not do so.

Edited 1572996348
Dio G. said: When you have a token selected and go to type a negative into a bar slot, ie. HP Bar. The '-' will still zoom you out, same goes with a positive value addition such as '+' whatever. Kind of annoying. Please can you make the zoom in/out with the +/- keys context sensitive to not do so. This has already been fixed... try hitting refresh in the game, then if that doesn't work, try closing all roll20 tabs and rejoining the game.&nbsp; If those fail, follow Step 3 from the solving technical issue page.
I don't like this at all, please put it back to normal.

Edited 1572997481
The + [Zoomlevel] - in the bottom right corner conflicts with the macro bar. It crops the space available to macro buttons. The old slider on the top right corner did not interfere with anything. Edit: Oh wait, its - [Zoomlevel] +. How intuitiv. O.O Edit 2: My players response to this: "WTF?"
You can't use the scroll wheel to navigate status markers on a selected token anymore.

Edited 1572997812
Drespar said: Hi everyone, We are noticing that things are getting off topic. Please note that our Code of Conduct is still in full effect in this thread. This thread is intended to locate bugs and collect feedback, keep the conversation focused and civil. We understand that updates such as this can get heated. However, further infractions of our Code of Conduct will be removed. Bug: map movement is utterly and completely broken for a number of players. Effect: numerous paying customers are understandably mad as hell. Should we expect a fix?
The zoom is rather choopy and i miss the scroll bars on the bottom and side of the screen, itd be good to have both options.
Loren the GM said: Trying to adjust token HP bubbles using math now zooms the map due to the +/- shortcuts. This is very inconvenient. +1
Not having scrollbars is, in short, terrible. It greatly hinders the usability of roll20 for multiple users. Please restore those.
Horizontal movement no longer exists, please give a way to return to the slide bars. &nbsp;
Drespar said: Hi everyone! We have pushed out a hotfix that resolves the bug with the +/- keyboard shortcuts interfering with Radial Menu edits. If you still running into this issue, please refresh the VTT and try again. If you are still experiencing this issue after a refresh, let us know!&nbsp; thank you for this hotfix, you guys are awesome!
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Thanks for all the feedback. As mentioned earlier, we've repaired the bug that prevented math in the Radial Menus with the +/- keys. We've been working on smoothing the new scroll experience, and to that end we've release an update a few minutes ago. We've reduced the number of scroll events per second, which slows down the zoom, but should reduce the jumpy behaviour. With all that said, a note about some additional Pan controls. With the new Zoom (by Default): Holding Alt (or Option) while Scrolling will Pan Vertically Holding Alt (or Option) and Shift while Scrolling will Pan Horizontally With the Legacy Mode active: Holding Shift while Scrolling will Pan Horizontally Holding Alt (or Option) while Scrolling will Zoom
Please Please !! Make it so this is an option I do not like this new option at all it will make my gaming a lot harder I had those other zoom settings and Shift and Alt keys down, no its a whole new system. Please make this an option and not set in stone.
Panning to the right with the scroll wheel is extremely slow, but scrolling to the left is really fast.&nbsp; At least on Legacy Mode.&nbsp; Map size does not appear to be a factor.
My player group includes players with disabilities - and as others have mentioned, this update renders the platform unusable for them. I will be canceling my subscription promptly and moving the game to a competing platform.
Chuck F. said: I'm not a dev you people are so out of your minds. I made this account today because I forgot the password to my old one and had to make a new one so I could speak some sense into you people. Something you all seem to desperately need if this is how your treating people who are working hard for YOUR benefit. Well, before someone tries to work for "my" benefit, I would appreciate to be consulted about what my needs actually are.
Drespar said: Hi everyone! We have pushed out a hotfix that resolves the bug with the +/- keyboard shortcuts interfering with Radial Menu edits. If you still running into this issue, please refresh the VTT and try again. If you are still experiencing this issue after a refresh, let us know!&nbsp; Did you read the posts? We don't want the change AT ALL. REVERT ALL OF IT before we get into a Dynamic Lighting with 11 months of fixing to get something worse than what was there before!

Edited 1573000770
Robin
Plus
So to add to the chorus of Macbook trackpad users:&nbsp; I used to be able to pan the map smoothly using just two fingers on my trackpad ( without &nbsp;clicking, just gliding accross the trackpad with two fingers ). It was fantastic, worked amazingly. If I try the same thing now it looks like this:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/imd0wz4wu811a7e/Screen%20Recording%202019-11-05%20at%2019.31.47.mov?dl=0" rel="nofollow">https://www.dropbox.com/s/imd0wz4wu811a7e/Screen%20Recording%202019-11-05%20at%2019.31.47.mov?dl=0</a> &nbsp;. This used to be perfect, now it is practically unusable. If I turn on&nbsp; Use Legacy Alt-Scrollwheel Zoom I can only scroll up and down, the 2-finger trackpad panning, which I repeat worked beautifully before, does not work anymore. I understand this update might be useful for some mouse users, but this made everything about navigating Roll20 on a Macbook trackpad worse, in every way. Using option and shift while scrolling is a step back from what it was before: I used to be able to scroll along both axes simultaneously, with that solution I can only manipulate one axis at a time. That's like going from a mouse to an etch-a-sketch to control a mouse pointer. Yeah, sure, it works, but it is undeniably less practical and a worse user experience.&nbsp; The system and operating system I've experienced these issues on: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) Internal trackpad. MacOs Cataline Version 10.15 (19A603) Browsers (same experience in both) Chrome Version 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit) Safari&nbsp;Version 13.0.2 (15608.2.30.1.1)

Edited 1573000077
MacBook Pro 2019, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Safari 13.0.2 Worked completely fine yesterday. In new mode, can't do anything by using my trackpad except zoom in/out in super-shaky mode. No moving up/down, no panning right/left. Nothing. In legacy mode, can only go up and down