Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Frostmaiden issues with lighting

I'm relatively new to roll20, to the point that normally I don't bother with dynamic lighting/etc. in my homebrew games. However, seeing as I dropped $50 for this module ("Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden") I'd really like to take advantage with this campaign, which I have yet to start. When I do start I want to make sure everything is working, as best as possible anyway, to avoid wasting time during an actual session. Toward this end I created fake PCs and have been trying to figure out how dynamic lighting works. It seems like even the NPCs have no sight options enabled when I double click on them, and CTRL+L on them reveals all black. Same with my fake PCs. And objects that should be emmitting light (like the campfire in the Verbeeg map) don't seem to be, either. In addition to using CTRL+L I've also tried logging in as a player; again, everything is black as though there's no light sources. Before I go messing around with the settings anymore than I already have I thought I'd check this forum for help. After all, the module notes claims to have all this enabled already (pasted below from the "Game Settings" note), as far as I can tell anyway. What am I missing? GAME SETTINGS Map Settings Dynamic Lighting:  Enabled Enforce Line of Sight:  On Only Update on Drop:  Off Restrict Movement:  Off Token Settings Bar 1:  hp (set to None to aid placement of multiple monsters using the same stat block) Bar 2:  npc_ac Bar 3:  Intentionally left blank for GM use Show Nameplate Toggle:  On Light Radius:  Used for Darkvision or if a NPC exudes light Note:  On large, performance heavy maps, groups of NPCs with darkvision may be adjusted so only one will have this radius turned on. This assists with game performance.  All Players See Light:  On if NPC exudes light Has Sight Toggle:  Off, for performance. Aura:  Enabled for creatures with aura or innate area-of-effect ability, not visible to players
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In general these settings are best for performance. NPCs usually have sight turned off. I play, I will usually use control-L on the target PC, rather than the shooter NPC, reasoning that if one can see the other, the other can see the one. For your PCs, they should have Sight turned on , and will need a light source of some kind, either personal ( All players can see for a torch, all players deselected for darkvision), or independent (such as a torch token on the board with All players can see selected. If the module specified lighting in an area, there should be light sources already in place, or there should be global illumination turned on, depending on the scenario. Otherwise it will be dark. Two tips: The best way to test is with the use of a  Dummy Account . Do not depend on Ctrl-L; it is meant for Line of Sight resolution, not Dynamic Lighting testing. Stick with Legacy for the time being (it sounds like that's what you are doing), and if you turn on Advanced Fog of War, then turn off Global Illumination. That combo will cause extreme lag. Last Tip: RotFM seems to have maps set up for UDL, but tokens set up for LDL. I would suggest before going to a map, toggling UDL off and LDL on. Easier than changing the tokens, and probably better for game play at this point in time.
Thanks so much for the info! And that's a really nifty GMail trick (the + thing) for a dummy account. I've been messing around with it all evening since reading this message, actually, and think I've figured a bit out. There's a lot more I need to read about/watch videos about but I'm getting the hang of it. Thanks again.