Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Update 6/25: Character Vault, Plus Better Zoom and Image Uploads

There's a new update out for everyone today that introduces some improvements to existing Roll20 features plus adds a new one we've very excited about. The Character Vault You'll now see a new link called "My Vault" (next to My Campaigns along the header). This new advanced feature allows you to store game pieces (currently, Characters) in a central place, so that you can then re-use them in other games. The neat twist on this is that you can use this feature as a player as well. For example, you can create a new Character in a Campaign, and then once that game is over, you can Import that Character into your Vault. Once it's there, you'll have the option to bring it over into another game down the road. This is great for society-style play where you want to keep the same Character between games throughout the whole season. It's also a great feature for GMs who might want to create a set of pre-generated PCs that they can quickly bring into future encounters, or a stable of interesting NPCs that they can pull from in any game. Note that in order to "export" the Character out of your Vault and into a new game, you must either be a GM for that game, or the game's owner must enable the new "Allow Players to Import Characters" toggle on the Campaign Settings page. More info on this new feature and how to use it is available on the Wiki Page for the My Vault feature . Note that the Vault is only available to Supporter and Mentor level subscribers, and it is an account-level feature (rather than a campaign-level feature), meaning players who want to have their own Vault of Characters need to have a subscription. Better Zoom We've long had a bit of a broken zoom feature, in that after you zoomed in you would end up in a different place on the map than where you started. Today we're pleased to announce that we've finally been able to conquer this bug. We've also switched to a handy zoom slider in the top-right portion of the game screen, as opposed to the zoom drop-down menu with its fixed zoom levels that we had before. You should now be able to smoothly slide in and out to your heart's content, confident that whatever is in the center of your screen will stay there whenever possible. In addition, keep in mind that you can hold down the Alt key while using the scrollwheel on your mouse if you have one to do the same thing as the zoom slider. Better Uploads We've re-worked the way that image uploads work for our drag-and-drop and avatar upload boxes. It puts much less strain on our servers and will open up the ability to support more image formats in the future. Let us know if it works better for you! LFG Changes We're instituting a change to the way that the LFG system works. Starting from today, only the first two game types that you have set for your campaign as "Playing" (e.g. D&D 4E) will be considered when providing search results. Some games were adding every single game type to their game and that wasn't the intent of the feature. We're also working behind-the-scenes to add additional smarter features, such as showing the timezone next to the time provided in the search result, and showing the time that the game was last updated so you can ignore stale results. Expect these changes to roll out over the next couple of days. Although this was a "minor" update, we think there are a lot of great improvements to Roll20 contained in it. Happy gaming!
Strong work Gentleman!
Nice features, especially the zoom w/ alt functionality!
Regarding zoom, is there a way to reset zoom to 100% and/or see current percentages?
Steven C said: Regarding zoom, is there a way to reset zoom to 100% and/or see current percentages? No way currently to see the specific percentage. If you double-click on the zoom slider handle, it should reset back to 100%.
Ok, thanks Riley. The main thing was being able to reset it (and if not; by having a display you could fudge the reset yourself).

Edited 1403713025
Spyke
KS Backer
Good updates, thanks. However, the zoom seems to be having trouble in Chrome on ChromeOS. If I zoom in and then back out I don't end up with the map at the same position, which surely ought to be the case? When I zoom in and out the map jumps around. Even a simple single click on the bottom of the slider followed by a click on the top leaves the map offset (and also at a different zoom level). Before: After single zoom click down and then single click back up: Is anyone seeing this on other operating systems? Graham
It's hard to tell from your example screenshots, but how large is the map area you're doing that in? Try doing it on a large-ish map (like 40x40) and let me know what you find. Basically there's still the limit of if you zoom out too far (to where the map itself is smaller than the window) the center you are looking at will get moved. So my guess is that's what's happening.
I see the same thing. It appears to happen as soon as you zoom out far enough so that the map begins to adjust to the left and up. It looks like the map wants to have a constant left and top margin - this doesnt affect the zoom if the map is big enough for there to be no left or top margin, but when zoomed out really far the map begins to adjust left and up which affects zoom once you zoom back in.
Steven C said: I see the same thing. It appears to happen as soon as you zoom out far enough so that the map begins to adjust to the left and up. It looks like the map wants to have a constant left and top margin - this doesnt affect the zoom if the map is big enough for there to be no left or top margin, but when zoomed out really far the map begins to adjust left and up which affects zoom once you zoom back in. Yeah okay. So that's still a known limitation. Currently everything is set up as you said to have the map expand from the top-left rather than being centered. It's on my list of things to re-work eventually but a lot of code will need to change. So that's why in my original post I said it would keep your center "whenever possible", this is the one time it's not possible -- when the map itself gets smaller than the window. And even then technically the center is being maintained, it's just as you said the center is moving.
Thanks for responding, Riley. Yes, this is what's happening. With a map where I'm zoomed into the detail it does seem to work going in and out, but as soon as the edge of the map appears on the screen the alignment gets lost.
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
@Riely: Are you aware of the timeout you get on the vault if you have access to a large number of tokens?
Alex L. said: @Riely: Are you aware of the timeout you get on the vault if you have access to a large number of tokens? As in it's taking more than 30 seconds to fetch the campaign information? If you PM me a join link to the Campaign causing that for you I'll take a look.
Gold
Forum Champion
Thanks for the updates, announcement & instructions for using these features. Another exciting development day on Roll20 is here!
Awesome, thank you team! Does this mean Roll20 may eventually be able to support animated gifs? (!!!)

Edited 1403719515
I never had any problem using the ALT + Mouse Wheel to zoom. Sure it was a little off but with holding down the right mouse button, I could center myself in less than a second. This new update CRIPPLED that method. Now, instead of a fluid zoom. I get it in tiny increments. which takes painfully longer than it used to. Which means I am now forced to use the "Zoom-Slider" which I find as a terrible! alternative to using the ALT key.
Game Master said: I never had any problem using the ALT + Mouse Wheel to zoom. Sure it was a little off but with holding down the right mouse button, I could center myself in less than a second. This new update CRIPPLED that method. Now, instead of a fluid zoom. I get it in tiny increments. which takes painfully longer than it used to. Which means I am now forced to use the "Zoom-Slider" which I find as a terrible! alternative to using the ALT key. This was just a regression. Should be fixed.
Riley D. said: Game Master said: I never had any problem using the ALT + Mouse Wheel to zoom. Sure it was a little off but with holding down the right mouse button, I could center myself in less than a second. This new update CRIPPLED that method. Now, instead of a fluid zoom. I get it in tiny increments. which takes painfully longer than it used to. Which means I am now forced to use the "Zoom-Slider" which I find as a terrible! alternative to using the ALT key. This was just a regression. Should be fixed. <Tears up> <Sniffle> ... I love you guys. I forgot to praise the new uploading system! SO MUCH BETTER! Thank you so much. "RPG's are srs busnss."
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Combined with the ability for us content providers to see purchases, via dollar amount and number of purchases, for the past few months, the Development Team is rocking.
Fantastic start to improving the LFG system. Really appertiative of the effort and frequency of the site getting updated.
thanks for the LFG system, though my favorite system is one of the first two the jackasses always use, my second system on the other hand is not one of them :)
I was just starting a new campaign and was having so much trouble re entering characters from my last one. Thank you for this great update!
Ok, this will be great for my 450x340 sized town!! Thanks for the hard work.
While I absolutely adore the new character vault, I despise the new zoom feature with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns. the campaign I've been working on looked best at a certain zoom setting, that I've been finding next to impossible to get on the current slider. if you could include percentage options for those who would want them, or be able to use as a reference to people who were accustomed to the old zoom function, that would be great.
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Awesome and fast fix! I love the roll20 service. Next feedback suggestion: is there a way that you could install a feature that allows us--while on a battle map/dungeon crawl map--that we can pop up a reference image? Ex. My group is following the dungeon crawl map on roll 20. They come upon a statue which I have a picture of. Instead of leaving the map, it would be great if I could--perhaps in the side bar--be able to have the image of the statue pop up.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Put the image of the statue in a handout. When the PCs see it, add them to the permissions to view it. Then they can view the image anytime they need to reference it.

Edited 1403761166
Your timing couldn't be better! I was just raging to my poor wife this morning about the issues with uploading tokens over the past week (I just activated my Mentor membership), but glad I stuck it out! The zoom-slider is a vast improvement!
awesome :) I'm loving it! thanks guys :)
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
What actually changed about uploading because it never seemed broken to me before abs
Justin
Marketplace Creator
VERY AWESOME AND TIMELY!
Some people were confused by the lack of the zoom drop-down, so we've added it back in for now. In addition, the zoom drop-down now syncs with the alt+mousewheel and zoom slider features, so it won't just say "100%' when that's not your current zoom level (although it will round off to the nearest 10%).
Adam N.
Sheet Author
Very nice! Now if there was a way to "send" my zoom/position settings to my players who are constantly asking where we are on the map, that would be pretty sweet.
Looking forward to using the changes and improvements. Keep up the great work!
Sadly, I do not have the opportunity to use the Roll20 system as much as I would like, but the constant work on improving Roll20, which is already a wonderful system, makes me pleased as punch to pay my monthly dues. Great system and innovation, guys. Thanks.
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Never mind, I figured it out! Love the roll20 service and the new zoom slider fix!
Those poor guys looking for 13th Age RPGs are now the only ones having to deal with the ALL THE SYSTEMS not a campaign spammers. Haven't been in any games yet to try out the rest of the features. Thanks for reducing my favorite system hits from dozens down to 3.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Adam N. said: Very nice! Now if there was a way to "send" my zoom/position settings to my players who are constantly asking where we are on the map, that would be pretty sweet. Use shift+ping to force everyone to center on your ping. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Tabletop_Overview" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Tabletop_Overview</a>
Just wanted to say thanks. You guys have done a wonderful job with the site. Only been using it for the past month but it is very user friendly and while I can't tell the different between these new features and the old, the fact that something like this exists online is pretty amazing. Once the CC bill is cleared I am definitely subbing.
You are a god. you just fixed my biggest problems, thank you!
Thanks Roll20, great updates!

Edited 1404076771
The image uploads are working atrociously on mine. Don't know what happened but uploading an image used to take maybe 30 seconds maximum. I've been waiting five minutes so far and the bar hasn't changed at all. What the heck! Just seems to hang and not do anything. : *edit* I figured it out. My own stupidity. Sorry.
Really enjoy the improved zoom and noticed the improved upload. You run a wonderful service. Garrett
I'm extremely unhappy with the new pathfinder sheet. I lost a lot of info with the switch and liked how the older style looked a lot like my mythweavers sheets. Is there anyway to get access to the older style sheet? I'd prefer not to use the new sheet.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I believe this can only be done if you're a mentor subscriber.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Squid , you can go into your campaign settings and select Pathfinder (Legacy Layout) to get back to the old sheet.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Yeah, I stand corrected.