Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

DnD 5e sheet initial release

Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
A big thank you to everyone that has been following and/or providing feedback on the D&D 5e sheet development and the 82 of you that tested it out in the public campaign. I've just finished off the last couple of items I have time to do and submitted the pull request for the Roll20 guys to include the sheet as an option on the campaign settings beside all the other sheets so you should hopefully see it sometime soon and be able to use it in your games. As I've mentioned, I intend to maintain and update the sheet throughout the 5e releases for the coming year but due to work commitments I will not have any time at all (beyond answering a forum post or two) for the next couple of weeks so if you find any bugs or notice any problems with the sheet please simply let me know (drop me a PM here or log an issue on the github repo) and I'll be sure to update them when I return from my work commitments. For general questions it's probably best to post on here first...quite a few people have tested the sheet for a while now so even if i'm not around/available maybe someone else will be able to assist/ For those of you that cant wait, the sheet can be found in my Github repo - <a href="https://github.com/Actoba/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/DnD_5e" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Actoba/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/DnD_5e</a> Feel free to use copy or steal anything from it that you find useful and/or to develop your own versions of the sheet should you want to!
Thanks man... all I need now is my copy of the PHB. Mid August is too far away dang it.
Looks great! Only thing I noticed is Wielded is spelled wrong on the Weapons tab.

Edited 1405113061
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Worse than that it was wrong in the attribute names too! :) Fixed and included in the pull request for the go live sheet....i havent bothered to update the public campaign since it will undoubtedly be going away once the sheet is approved. Edit : I even managed to typo the commit message for the fix....apparently I fixed a spelling werror! I might have to add a spelling werror as a monster to a campaign.....i'm thinking some enchanted evil book with lycanthropic properties from it's paper cuts ;)
Very nice. I know this sheet is strictly for Basic Rules so far, but one thing you might start thinking about before too long is a way to track certain class points. Sorcery points and Ki points, (and eventually Psionic points). Aug. 8th will be here soon... just not soon enough. Thanks for your hard work.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
The class section did, in a previous iteration, have some support for "key" class features but alas time and the real world caught up with me so what you get now is two large text areas instead of 1 and some other stuff. I promise to look at it again when I have time in a couple of weeks and at worst provide the same repeating section for class resources that the old playtest sheet had.
Fantastic sheet! Thank you so much for working on this for us. It really is a thing of beauty! I noticed that the AC and the Spell per day don't seem to adjust properly. It's not a big deal because one can always adjust this manually. Just thought you'd want to know. Oh, and to clarify: The AC does record but it lists the base without the +10. In other words, if I'm playing a Wizard with DEX bonus of 3 and armor that provides a +2, the sheet lists AC as 5 and AC-armor as 10. I figure it should list AC as 15 and AC-armor as 10 (although, since everyone knows 10 is the base, it should list touch AC, in this case, as 13 and possibly flat-footed AC as 12 but I understand you have limited space).
Total newb post, how would I use this char sheet? I am working on setting up a campaign so I can start DM'ing and would love to use this!
Need to be a mentor until it is approved by Roll20
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@David - there is no such thing a touch or flat footed AC in 5e. There I is only AC when wearing armour, and AC when not wearing armour. The normal (wearing armour) AC is auto calculated from the armour you add to the relevant section on the inventory section. This has no base level, it is simply a total of all the AC provided by worn armour. The intention is that the player adds any equipment or buffs that provide armour in the inventory section and the AC is auto calculated. AC (no armour) is a manually set field on the sheet. It is normally 10 + dex mod but some classes and other items could modify this. The e intention is that the player maintains is value manually for now. So in your wizard example, you should manually set the AC no armour field. If you added it the bonus to the inventory section then it would correctly display the total as 5 since there is no base of level for worn armour
First of all, thanks so much for your work on this. The playtest sheet looked great already! I'm planning on starting a new campaign based on the starter set and some of the values (like proficiency) are now off, due to the changes. Is there any indication how long it would take for the roll20 team to approve the sheet? As is, it would be quite difficult to get new players started with the new rules and roll20 as they'd be easily overwhelmed. Your sheet would be the perfect solution for this.
I dont know why, but when I use your sheets, the formatting gets weird. Here is an example: And Another: I love your sheets, and have used them, but for some reason I have to constantly edit your sheets formatting to make them fit properly (the columns are too wide and force new rows). I run in chrome, its fully updated, etc. I dont know if it's because the fonts I have are different, but the formatting is not working for me.
@Actoba - I looked again at the armor charts and see what you're talking about. I get what they did but it took a second to adjust. I'm used to armor providing a +1 or +2, etc. bonus, not effectively changing the base AC. I wonder if flat-footed and touch will make their way into the PHB "advanced" rules. If so, I wonder how they'll explain that with the redesigned armor rating approach. Thanks for clarifying what you did and, again, thanks for the sheet. It's really awesome and my players are excited for them!
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@Josh - if you are using different fonts that would likely make a difference. The width of all the columns within the sheet are percentage based and designed to fit into a min width of 832px...iirc...which should be the default width the sheet opens up at. If you have resized the window smaller than that, or for some reason it's not as wide, then that could be causing the issues you are seeing. @Stefan - now that the character sheet feature has been live for a while now Riley did mention that the frequency of approval/updates from them would decrease (I think he might have even suggested it might be a once a week type thing....but I may not be remembering correctly).....so I'd imagine it won't be too much longer :) @David (and everyone else that has posted to say they like the sheet) - thanks for the feedback...glad to hear people are looking forward to using it properly for games...... :)
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Actually I see that Riley has merged in the new sheet to the main roll20 repo now....so it shouldn't be long before it's available....just whenever he or the other roll20 guys update their approved list and it should appear as an option in the campaign settings
I just noticed something and wondered if you can suggest a solution (or if you can tell me what I'm doing wrong). The character sheet populates a bunch of Attributes in the default Roll20 tab. I usually like to use these for macros using @STR (or whatever) but the sheet doesn't do that now. It populates with the score (i.e. 18) instead of the bonus (i.e. +4). So, if I design a macro like, say, /roll 1d20+@STR, it would result in a max roll of 38 instead of 24. I hope I'm explaining this right. Am I overlooking something? Of course, I can roll from the sheet but I anticipate my players asking the same question and I'd like to let them know if there's a solution or something I'm not seeing. Thanks!
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@david - use @{strength_mod} and other similar ones if you want to do your own macros.....be aware though! that as strength mod is an auto calculated value you should probably use it in brackets in your own macros.....for example - (@{strength_mod}) I will create a wiki page here on roll20, like the one I made for the old Next playtest sheet, that outlines all the attributes the sheet provides wi examples on how to use them...but it will be a couple of weeks as I'm away from home on a training course atm.
Oh my goodness, no rush! You're awesome and have done so much for us! I'm not tech stupid by any means but I know just enough HTML to say "Yep, that's a web page." :P I'll play with the macros and see if I can get them to work. Thanks, again, for all your work on this!
Ah, I see the issue now. The character sheet didn't create an Attribute for "strength_mod." It only created strength and strength_save_prof. So, there's no way to call up the mod bonus with a macro unless I create my own Attribute. Should the sheet have done this automatically?

Edited 1405367298
David said: Ah, I see the issue now. The character sheet didn't create an Attribute for "strength_mod." It only created strength and strength_save_prof. So, there's no way to call up the mod bonus with a macro unless I create my own Attribute. Should the sheet have done this automatically? Have you tried referencing it by typing out the name? Since it's an auto-calculated it won't try to auto-complete it. This is mentioned here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Character_Sheet_Basics" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Character_Sheet_Basics</a> in the section Interaction with Macros and Abilities. Just tested and was able to still reference /r 1d20+[[@{strength_mod}]] in a Strength check macro I made on the Character and it worked fine.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@david - the character sheets do not create entries in the attributes tab for every attribute is uses/defines. Particularly, attributes that are auto calculated or in repeating sections will not be listed. The good news though is that even though they are not listed in the attribute tab you can still use them in your own macros in the same way you would use any other attribute. The only thing to watch out for is to remember that if the attribute you want to use is an auto calculated one, be aware that the entire calculation is what will be replaced in your macro if you use it.....and that can cause math errors sometimes if you are using it as part of another complicated formula.....for example - if there is an attribute called @{test} that has its value set by the auto calc of 2+2 then wherever you use that the calculation will be what's used...not the result of the calc...so.... @{test} * 10 = 2+2 *10 = 22 but (@{test}) * 10 = (2+2) * 10 = 40 the second example is probably what is intended...so just be aware :). Here is a link to the wiki page for the older playtest sheet... SOME of the attributes are the same...like the core stat scores/mods, but some are different....I'll get a new version of this wiki page in a couple of weeks for the 5e sheet - <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/DnDNext_Character_Sheet" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/DnDNext_Character_Sheet</a>
@Actoba It appears the sheet is live now. Happy 5E gaming to you all!
Thanks to both!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Actoba said: The only thing to watch out for is to remember that if the attribute you want to use is an auto calculated one, be aware that the entire calculation is what will be replaced in your macro if you use it.....and that can cause math errors sometimes if you are using it as part of another complicated formula.....for example - For this reason it is a good idea to wrap your calculations in parentheses in the HTML. For example: &lt;!-- Good Idea --&gt; &lt;input type="number" disabled="true" name="attr_test" value="(2+2)" /&gt; &lt;!-- Bad Idea --&gt; &lt;input type="number" disabled="true" name="attr_test" value="2+2" /&gt;
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
It's only a bad idea if you don't know what your doing ;) Glad to hear the sheet is now available....hope there's no major issues now that more people have the opportunity to use it for actual play!
Got another question for you: Looking at the Skills section with a Rogue. I want to select Deception for one of my expertise skills. I have a +1 bonus to CHA which, when the skill is trained, sets Deception to +3. However, when I select "Expert" from the dropdown menu, I only receive a +4. I checked it against a few other skills and Expert is only granting a +1. However, Expertise is supposed to double the proficiency bonus per the description on pg. 27. Is it coded incorrectly or did you have a different idea behind the "Expert" option?
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
The sheet should follow the rules as written and expert for a skill should be double proficiency bonus....I can't verify anything right now but I'll double check things when I get home at the weekend. Nothing on the sheet should be "house ruled" or otherwise contravene the base rule set.

Edited 1405393453
I can confirm what David said. My rogue has +3 dex and +2 prof and the difference between Trained and Expert is only +1 on the sheet.
Thanks for looking at it when you get a chance, Actoba. And thanks for double-checking notBowen. I thought I was going crazy! For now, I'm just manually adding a misc. mod. for the expert skill which works fine for now. Obviously, it won't scale when the appropriate level is reached but, for now, it works!
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Just to confirm, you guys are seeing this behaviour with a brand new character? Not one that already had attributes (either manual or from another character sheet) as that could cause problems....particularly if you used the Next playtest sheet and then changed to the new 5e one with the same character due to some of the attributes sharing names but obviously not being calculated/used the same way
Yup, I made a fresh Character Entry to be sure. Caps:
Mike
Plus
Compendium Curator
What happens when I switch players from DND Next to DND 5 character sheets?

Edited 1405442265
Morbus Iff
KS Backer
Hrm... I'm unable to See Things I Expect™ with the sheet - namely, if I click a "Save Prof?" checkbox, I expect the calculated result to be (attribute modifier + proficiency modifier), but it appears to be "stuck" as just the attribute modifier... I'm seeing the same thing for "Trained" skills too - the proficiency modifier doesn't appear to be visually added to the calculated green value... Perhaps this is because I'm unable to get the green "Current Level" thingy to say anything besides 0? EDIT: Hrm. Perhaps something to do with in-line re-calculations - I just exited the sheet and came back, and the numbers are looking right.
Make that a third confirm on "Expert only adding +1, not +2" - I've a human rogue with DEX 16 (+3 ability) (+2 proficiency) (+2 expertise) and I'm only seeing +6 for the skill bonus.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
I managed to get 5 mins earlier today to confirm it myself....I'll fix it ASAP when I get home this weekend. In the meantime, using the misc bonus field as a correction is a good workaround
I just noticed that none of the buttons show up when I open this sheet in Firefox. Not sure if it is just Firefox or something else wrong on my end. It seems to work find in Chrome though. Just blank radio buttons and check boxes where they should be.
This character sheet is awesome. Thank you so much for all your hard work.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@denesta - will investigate at the weekend when I get home....not sure why that would happen and I can't test at the moment. Any other Firefox users that can confirm? I also notice from the screenshot you have a horizontal scroll bar...did you resize the character window before taking the screenshot or is that the default size you get when opening it up? @ Naz -glad you like it
No resizing. That is just how it opened.

Edited 1405463022
Morbus Iff
KS Backer
@actoba: I can confirm the Firefox radio buttons problem (though, it looks slightly different in Firefox 30/OS X - the radio buttons are bigger and follow the system UI, etc.). My Firefox/OS X opens the character sheet without scrollbars though, but my window was pretty wide to start. I could only replicate the scrollbars in @demesta's screenshot when my parent window (not the modal) was sized really small - like 640 width. The only browser the character sheet really looks perfect in is Chrome. I've attached a Safari screen showing the first tab having some wrapping issues.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks, I'll see if I can get all this stuff fixed at the weekend
I didn't even realize the radio buttons weren't the way it was supposed to be before Denesta's post (Using firefox). Sorry if this is obvious, but where would I put the +2 bonus to attack rolls with ranged weapons for Fighting Style (Archery)?
Rich H. said: I didn't even realize the radio buttons weren't the way it was supposed to be before Denesta's post (Using firefox). Sorry if this is obvious, but where would I put the +2 bonus to attack rolls with ranged weapons for Fighting Style (Archery)? I would say under the Active Bonuses sections for Ranged attack rolls:
It doesn't really look like there's much room, but any way to get a space for Range back on the ranged attacks?

Edited 1405648445
Maybe you've already fixed the Expert training value, but it turned out to be an order of operations issue. When selecting Expert training, attr_X_prof_exp is set to 2*@{PB} Since attr_PB has two added components and lacks parentheses, only the first term was getting multiplied by 2, resulting in a +1 instead of a +2. 2 * 1 + 1 vs 2 * (1+1) Putting parentheses around the PB value fixes the issue. name="attr_PB" value=" ( ceil((@{level})/1e10)+ceil((@{level})/4) ) "
I found a similar issue with the melee attack damage calculation. If the weapon is a normal offhand weapon, the bonus damage correctly goes to zero, but an offhand finesse weapon still shows the full damage bonus. To fix this, each instance of attr_meleeattackstatX should be surrounded by parentheses, or just each of its values. &lt;select name="attr_meleeattackstat1"&gt; &lt;option value=" ( @{strength_mod} ) "&gt;No&lt;/option&gt; &lt;option value=" ( @{finesse_mod} ) "&gt;Yes&lt;/option&gt; &lt;/select&gt;
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
I figured that's what it would be.....I'll review the entire sheet over the weekend once I get home @Keith S - it's a bit tight which is why I concolidated the range into the name field to save a bit.....I'll have a look but I suspect it's probably better to leave it within the name instead of separate
Ah, I never noticed the (range) in the name field. That works.
What about a button in the spellbook that just shows all of the prepared/always prepared spells?
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@Keith S - Cant do that without API/javascript i'm afraid - I'll probably do some of that stuff at a later date but not till i'm happy that the base (non-API) sheet is stable and useful for all. The only other option is a second area where you could simply list your prepared spells in some way...but that means you'have to enter your spells twice (even if it is just the name) and that kinda defeats the purpose of a sheet thats supposed to take away the pain points of managing your character instead of adding additional tasks.
An option to sort or reorder the spells so prepared items can move to the top would be almost as good as a separate list or hiding unprepared. But I don't know if that would be any easier.