Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

UDL 1.0 Updates, Bugs, & Feedback

Hi, I see some improvements, but there is still one thing that bugs me that I find essencial as the GM: the function Ctrl+L with the Explorer Mode.  If one player token has explored and I as GM select another token, that didnt move, I still see the explorered part of the map shaded. I know the player does not. But it really helps to know what each player is able to seen during a game. (the dummy account can help while preparing the maps, but not during gameplay) Plus, if I cant see through player tokens eyes... whats the point of Ctrl+L ? I hope this get correct soon.
João Luiz said: Hi, I see some improvements, but there is still one thing that bugs me that I find essencial as the GM: the function Ctrl+L with the Explorer Mode.  If one player token has explored and I as GM select another token, that didnt move, I still see the explorered part of the map shaded. I know the player does not. But it really helps to know what each player is able to seen during a game. (the dummy account can help while preparing the maps, but not during gameplay) Plus, if I cant see through player tokens eyes... whats the point of Ctrl+L ? I hope this get correct soon. I was writting about the same, cause i'm not sure about players not seing it. I entered with my token with the GM option "enter as player" and this is what i see from "player vision" (very same as CTRL+L on any token)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
João Luiz said: Plus, if I cant see through player tokens eyes... whats the point of Ctrl+L ? The point of Ctrl-L is to check L ine of Sight. It was never intended to give an accurate view of a player's sight settings (despite many, many posts saying it does, based on the erroneous assumption). That being said, it has lost even much of that utility lately. The view that it gives is confusing and often erroneous. The only way to accurately check all aspects of a DL setup for individual tokens is through a  Dummy Account .
Yes yes, Keith, I know all that as you have explained here many times before - I learned about the Dummy Account from you, thanks! Nevertheless, as you said, the Ctrl+L isnt working very well, and also, even if it wasnt the intention, in Legacy Light, you could use it to see what each player was seing during the game (not only for setup), and that is - at least for me - important and helpful. It does not have to be Ctrl+L(ine of sight), could be Ctrl+P(oint of view) or whatever other command... but it has to work.
João Luiz said: Yes yes, Keith, I know all that as you have explained here many times before - I learned about the Dummy Account from you, thanks! Nevertheless, as you said, the Ctrl+L isnt working very well, and also, even if it wasnt the intention, in Legacy Light, you could use it to see what each player was seing during the game (not only for setup), and that is - at least for me - important and helpful. It does not have to be Ctrl+L(ine of sight), could be Ctrl+P(oint of view) or whatever other command... but it has to work. So you understand the Ctrl+L isn't intended to provide the functionality you're after, but want Roll20 to support it anyway because of how some people interpret its purpose? Sounds like you should be making a suggestion post asking them to implement the functionality you're after. I'll agree Ctrl+L isn't working as intended at the moment and that is a valid point and hopefully, the dev team is working on it alongside all the other UDL improvements they're doing currently.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
João Luiz said: Yes yes, Keith, I know all that as you have explained here many times before - I learned about the Dummy Account from you, thanks! Nevertheless, as you said, the Ctrl+L isnt working very well, and also, even if it wasnt the intention, in Legacy Light, you could use it to see what each player was seing during the game (not only for setup), and that is - at least for me - important and helpful. It does not have to be Ctrl+L(ine of sight), could be Ctrl+P(oint of view) or whatever other command... but it has to work. Sorry, I answer the question a lot and forget whom I have spoken to about it. I agree that the current state of the feature needs work.
No worries! Important thing is that there has been many improvements... just felt the "ctrl+L" case still need some attention. Anyway, I do believe in UDL potential. Soon it will be working great.
I'm having a weird issue with moving objects in a map. For some objects the select/move tool does not change to 'move' when I move over the object. Even if I select the object I can find no way to move it. As a workaround I've discovered that adding a squiggle (or something) so I can select two objects works. These were all just basic shapes made with draw shape.

Edited 1625764824
Got a bug I've never seen before. This one appears to be a DM-only problem related to overlapping fields of tinted night vision. It's not a show-stopper, but it's pretty blasted annoying. For DMs, this bug manifests whenever two or more tokens are present, with vision and nightvision enabled, and nightvision set to use a tint. No special effects are enabled. In the example images I post below, both tokens are set up in this fashion. One has a slightly different shade of blue in its tint compared to the other; where they overlap, there is a vivid shade of RED. Changing the tint to some other color doesn't alleviate the problem (but it does change the expressed color of the anomaly). Changing it to be transparent does fix this, which I suggest as a workaround for affected users. This does not manifest for a dummy account that is not a DM. See the second image for that. DM image above. Player view. No problem here.
Edward R. said: Got a bug I've never seen before. This one appears to be a DM-only problem related to overlapping fields of tinted night vision. It's not a show-stopper, but it's pretty blasted annoying. [...] Hey Edward, this looks a lot like a related rendering issue we're trying to track down related to tints; in particular, I can reproduce this effect on my Linux machines.  To help us track this down, I'd love if you could provide your Operating System and GPU information (Graphics Device and driver version).   Also, can you confirm if this issue occurs in Chromium-based browsers (Google Chrome, Chromium, Edge, etc.) or only in Firefox? Thank you for the detailed report and screenshots!

Edited 1625785527
Katie Mae🔮
Roll20 Team
Hi everyone, We want to thank everyone here for participating and letting us know which areas need work! The journey we’ve been on for the last few months has been wild and delightful, and I’m happy to crawl up once again from the vents underneath Roll20 to talk about the current state of Dynamic Lighting!  We have been hard at work implementing fixes, changes, and improvements to make updated Dynamic Lighting the best it can be. Another aspect we have been working on behind the scenes is a way to present what we are developing in a more accessible way, and improving the learning resources available for Dynamic Lighting. With that, here are two major improvements to the way we talk about Dynamic Lighting:  Product Board:  Without further ado, we are rolling out the Dynamic Lighting Portal ! The Dynamic Lighting portal lists planned improvements, our known bug queue, and what has been released thus far. Each entry is something folks can comment on and check back to see where it is sitting. With this new tool at our disposal, we are going to be closing this thread and opening a new one tomorrow. Going forward we will be logging planned improvements and known bugs in this tool as a single source of information that is a bit easier to navigate. As we go through this thread swap, we encourage you to continue reporting bugs in the new thread to ensure the Dynamic Lighting Portal is up-to-date and correct. Help Center: Making Dynamic Lighting as approachable and easy-to-learn as possible has been a core focus for us over the last quarter. With that, we’re also debuting a renovated Help Center category for Dynamic Lighting. Here are some of my favorite new pages:  What Is Dynamic Lighting? What’s New With Dynamic Lighting? Dynamic Lighting Checklist These are the two significant updates from us regarding Dynamic Lighting today, but even more content from us is on the horizon. You’ll see a lot of the Roll20 team around over the next two weeks, and that brings me to my next point: Dynamic Lighting Unlocked: If you haven’t heard the news, July 9th Marks the start of Dynamic Lighting Unlocked: Summer Camp , a 10-day celebration of all things shiny on your VTT. We're opening up Dynamic Lighting to EVERYONE--yes, everyone!--for 10 days. No subscription required. This is the perfect time to try out Dynamic Lighting if you haven’t used it in a while. To celebrate, we’re also including a free DMDave 5E adventure with lighting setup! (And Plus/Pro Subs, we’re also hooking you up with light source tokens by Moonlight Maps!) I hope to see you all around during this event! We’ll even be doing a stream of the one shot, and a talkback session with one of the Developers. Say hi if you see me! (: I know I say it every time, but thank you for the continued support and communication over the course of my time with y’all! We’ve accomplished so much in so little time, and it makes me even more excited for the future. I hope you enjoy Dynamic Lighting Unlocked, Product Board, and the Help Center revamp! 
Jeff, The bug manifested in Chromium, but I cannot give you any real insight into whether that's significant; I usually run a dummy account in Firefox and my DM account in Chromium when I'm testing lines of sight, and I didn't trouble myself to check a GM account in Firefox prior to making this report. The images I provided earlier were for the GM account in Chromium (Chrome, specifically), and the dummy account I used for the player view was therefore  an image from Firefox. So I suppose that if this is the same bug that you reproduced, you're looking at something that is specific to neither a browser family nor an OS. System stuff: I am running Win 10 Home on this machine, fully updated for its version, but I have not yet switched to the V21H1 feature update released in May 2021. Graphics are NVIDIA Geforce 2060 Super. Driver version is 471.11, 6/22/2021, which is the most current for this make and model. As of this moment, I am unable to reproduce the bug. I have rebooted since then, however (but not for any reason having to do with display issues). Jeff L. said: Edward R. said: Got a bug I've never seen before. This one appears to be a DM-only problem related to overlapping fields of tinted night vision. It's not a show-stopper, but it's pretty blasted annoying. [...] Hey Edward, this looks a lot like a related rendering issue we're trying to track down related to tints; in particular, I can reproduce this effect on my Linux machines.  To help us track this down, I'd love if you could provide your Operating System and GPU information (Graphics Device and driver version).   Also, can you confirm if this issue occurs in Chromium-based browsers (Google Chrome, Chromium, Edge, etc.) or only in Firefox? Thank you for the detailed report and screenshots!
Heads up for all, the new thread is posted and ready over here :)