Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Lighting Effects

I am going to start running a Cthulhu game right around 1900. In this time period we still have gaslight, torches possibly in poorer sides of town, lanterns and the invention of the flashlight in 1899. Is there a way with the dynamic lighting that I can have a script/macro to do a couple things? 1 list its name gaslight, flashlight, torch, lantern 2 have different radius' for each listed item  3 have a timer that I can set in the game for this item.  The timer would be there to determine when the lantern runs out of fuel/battery power. If this is do-able then try 1 step farther and then have it so (lets say 15 mins of game time the timer starts- i click start the lantern timer) then there are some AFKs during this time (I can stop the timer until all are present without alerting the PCs) and finally- as time goes on the light of the device gradually drops in radius and brightness. 

Edited 1672376673
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not sure about the timer, since game time is not usually 1:1 with real time. As for the macro, absolutely. The forums are littered with lighting macros, most using token mod. Here is a  Chat Menu  adapted from my own game: /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Light and VIsion}} {{**Vision**=[On](!token-mod --set has_bright_light_vision|on has_night_vision|on light_angle|360 has_limit_field_of_vision|false) | [Off](!token-mod --set has_bright_light_vision|off has_night_vision|off light_angle|360) | [GM](!token-mod --set has_bright_light_vision|on has_night_vision|on night_vision_distance|10 light_angle|360) [Touch](!token-mod --set  has_bright_light_vision|on has_night_vision|on night_vision_distance|5 light_angle|360) | [Blindfighting](!token-mod --set has_bright_light_vision|on has_night_vision|on night_vision_distance|10 light_angle|360) [Darkvision](!token-mod --set has_bright_light_vision|on has_night_vision|on night_vision_distance|60 light_angle|360 night_vision_effect|nocturnal) | [DV90](!token-mod --set has_bright_light_vision|on has_night_vision|on night_vision_distance|90 light_angle|360 night_vision_effect|nocturnal) | [DV120](!token-mod --set has_bright_light_vision|on has_night_vision|on night_vision_distance|120 light_angle|360 night_vision_effect|nocturnal) | [DV off](!token-mod --set has_bright_light_vision|on has_night_vision|off night_vision_distance|0 light_angle|360)}}{{**Light**=[Off](!token-mod --set emits_bright_light|off emits_low_light|off light_angle|360) | [On](!token-mod --set emits_bright_light|on emits_low_light|on light_angle|360) | [Spot](!token-mod --set emits_bright_light|on bright_light_distance|5 low_light_distance|0 light_angle|360) | [Moon](!token-mod --set  set emits_bright_light|off emits_low_light|on low_light_distance|=200 light_angle|360) | [Stars](!token-mod --set  emits_bright_light|off emits_low_light|on low_light_distance|=100 light_angle|360) [Candle](!token-mod --set emits_bright_light|on emits_low_light|on bright_light_distance|2 low_light_distance|5 light_angle|360) | [Lamp](!token-mod --set emits_bright_light|on emits_low_light|on bright_light_distance|15 low_light_distance|15 light_angle|360) | [Torch](!token-mod --set emits_bright_light|on emits_low_light|on bright_light_distance|20 low_light_distance|20 light_angle|360) [Hooded Lantern](!token-mod --set emits_bright_light|on emits_low_light|on bright_light_distance|30 low_light_distance|30 light_angle|360) | [Bullseye Lantern](!token-mod --set emits_bright_light|on emits_low_light|on bright_light_distance|60 low_light_distance|60 light_angle|90)}}&{noerror} Adapt light sources and definitions for CoC.
Building on Keith's post above, you could use Token Status markers for a rough approximation of "time left" for the candle, lamp, torch, etc... Green: Good Yellow: Battery life (or oil or candle) is getting short Red: Battery life (or oil or candle) is almost used up You can even combine numbers for yellow and red to approximate time left. /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Light and Vision}} {{**Duration**=[9 Minutes](!token-mod --set statusmarkers|=yellow:9 ) | [8 Minutes](!token-mod --set statusmarkers|=yellow:8 ) ...etc... [5 Minutes](!token-mod --set statusmarkers|=red:5 ) | [4 Minutes](!token-mod --set statusmarkers|=red:4 ) ...etc... [Clear Markers](!token-mod --set statusmarkers|=red|-red) }}&{noerror} Example: