Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Very small text font size in chat

The size of text both in this forum and in the VTT  - the journal, chat and even handouts -  has recently gotten so small that even with my reading glasses I can barely read it. I thought it was just me and my aging eyes, but I just talked with my players and they all agree that it's getting much harder to read anything during game play. I can adjust by magnifying the screen wile reading this forum but that causes problems QOL issues during game play. Is there any way to increase the font size in the VTT?  I'm also posting a bug report/complaint through the help center.

Edited 1673367642
Gauss
Forum Champion
For the characters there is a zoom function in the top right hand corner.  For Chat outputs you could spend time (a lot of time) writing macros that output larger font sizes.  However, the simplest method would probably be an extension called Stylus. Stylus should be able to increase font sizes, but one of the stylus writers would have to chime in on that.  Also, make sure you are not using browser zoom, that can mess with things. 

Edited 1673368936
The zoom function works for the map, but that's not the problem; I have control of any text that's on there. I thought about looking into Stylus for my own use and maybe some of the other players. A couple of the others, however will flat out NOT even try to learn how to use it. I have enough trouble explaining to them how to use macro  and token bars.  I'm sure that I'm not the only subscriber to Roll20 with less than perfect vision. The text was quite readable until just recently, so something has changed. Something I just tried: I logged in with Firefox instead of Chrome. The font is still smaller than it used to be, but it's not as bad using Firefox. Now I'm thinking that it's a browser issue. Edit: I just tried changing the default font size in Chrome, but it had no effect on the fonts displayed on this site.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Rick A. said: The zoom function works for the map, but that's not the problem; I have control of any text that's on there. I thought about looking into Stylus for my own use and maybe some of the other players. A couple of the others, however will flat out NOT even try to learn how to use it. I have enough trouble explaining to them how to use macro  and token bars.  I'm sure that I'm not the only subscriber to Roll20 with less than perfect vision. The text was quite readable until just recently, so something has changed. Something I just tried: I logged in with Firefox instead of Chrome. The font is still smaller than it used to be, but it's not as bad using Firefox. Now I'm thinking that it's a browser issue. Edit: I just tried changing the default font size in Chrome, but it had no effect on the fonts displayed on this site. I probably did not explain correctly. Not the map zoom function, the character zoom function.  Open character, top right hand corner of the character (not map) is a zoom function.  I also have vision issues, I use it regularly.  Browser zoom: make sure your browser zoom (not map zoom) level is set to 100%. If it is set to less than 100% it can make the text smaller. 
I don't know why I never noticed the character zoom! That is going to help a LOT! Thanks! As for the browser zoom, yes I tried that. It's set to 100%. I can using browser to zoom to help read the chat and handouts, but I don't like it because it magnifies everything including borders, icons, etc. I suppose I could live with it but I'd rather have what I once did until recently. Gauss said: I probably did not explain correctly. Not the map zoom function, the character zoom function.  Open character, top right hand corner of the character (not map) is a zoom function.  I also have vision issues, I use it regularly.  Browser zoom: make sure your browser zoom (not map zoom) level is set to 100%. If it is set to less than 100% it can make the text smaller. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Rick! What sheet are you using?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, can you post a screen shot? I have not noticed any recent reduction in font size. The dark mode font can feel smaller for some, though.
Here's a screen shot of the chat window that I took while conversing with one of my players today. (We were using the chat because he was using his camera and mike in a conference call with someone else at the same time). Also, we're using the D&D 5E by Roll20 sheet, but that's not really the issue - I've learned to deal with the sheet's text plus the sheet zoom that Gauss pointed out will help even more. My issue is with the size of the text in the chat window and on handouts. Both of those seem to have gone down in size recently, from about 10 or 8 point to around 6 point.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If it were six point on a computer screen, you would not be able to easily read it at all, given the resolution of your screen cap. I'm still not seeing a reduction. As a test, I went onto the dev server, which has not had a code push in about a year. I posted the same text in both light and dark mode. (dark mode was still in development then, which is why the contrast is so horrible on Dev Dark. I did the same for the Production server. Still, it is enough to show that there has been no appreciable change in font size for over a year in Dark Mode. Light Mode however has changed, although the font is the same size. The old was 13.65 px helvetica neue, the new is 13.65px Proxima Nova. If anything, Proxima is slightly more spaced out and should be easier to read. The reason dark mode linebreaks match is that Dark Mode made the change to Proxima Nova first, about a year ago. However, that doesn't mean something hasn't changed on your display. There could be local interference from a browser setting, plugin or OS setting. Have you tried on a private browsing window, different browser or different machine?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There are a number of extensions for Chrome and Firefox that allow you to increase font size. I'm not sure how well they would interface with Roll20, but it would be worth a shot.
Hmm. Very strange. I've looked at it using Chrome and Firefox. In Firefox the text looks slightly clearer. One of my players has the exact same graphics (card and monitors) as I do and we are also running the same version of Windows 10 and he also says that the text looks smaller to him.  It may be that our eyes have just gotten a little bit worse recently. The text in my screen shot (and yours) is barely legible for me.  The text as I type in this reply window is not much better. Oh, and when I listed the point sizes, I had pulled up Libre Office Writer in a window over top of the VTT,  typed some text in various size and compared. Probably not the best way to verify the actual point size.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The best way to test is to right click on the text element and choose "Inspect". There is a column called "Computed" that will display the final resolved size of the text.  I'd suggest looking into a text enlarging extension. Scott C. just gave me some Stylus code that makes text chat a little larger, but it doesn't affect the rest of the interface (and to be honest, the character sheet display would likely break. Another option is to reduce the resolution of your monitor if you have that capability. That will have the effect of making the pixels physically larger and possibly more readable. You can also try fiddling with the brightness and contrast controls of your monitor, or see if your OS has any accessibility tools that might help. Apple has excellent tools, and I'm sure that Windows must have something comparable?

Edited 1673443823
Re: finding the actual font size: Thanks for that tip. My method was way off; I had figured 10 pt. text in one app would look the same as 10 pt. text on another. Weird that it doesn't. I'll look into Stylus because it looks like it's quite versatile. I've installed it but now I need to find a tutorial on how to use it :) Meanwhile I found this suggestion by&nbsp; The Aaron &nbsp; in this thread <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1276072/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1276072/</a> &nbsp; to create a browser bookmark with the following: javascript:$('#textchat').css('font-size','1.5em'); This does exactly what I want for the chat area!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Excellent!

Edited 1673451423
Well, in the process of trying different solutions, somehow I've managed to screw up the display of the character sheet. In the upper screen shot, you can see how a lot of the text has increased in size and is spilling outside of their fields. This is only happening in Chrome (latest version, as of today); it looks fine in Firefox.&nbsp; I've cleared the cache, cookies and even reset Chrome to default settings. If I highlight the text " Armor Class" and right-click -&gt; inspect -&gt; computed it shows what is seen in the lower screen shot. When I do the same in Firefox, the font-size is listed as 9px instead of 15px as shown in Chrome. What I did before I noticed this problem: Tried adjusting browser zoom, then reset it to 100%. Player around with adjusting the zoom level in character sheet, then reset it to 100%. Increased the default font size in Chrome settings, found that it didn't help, set it back to default. Installed Stylus, found that I had no idea how to use it, decided to play with that some other time so I uninstalled Stylus. Found the solution to my text chat issue using The Aaron's &nbsp;method and applied it. Pulled up a character sheet while working in my game and discovered this new issue. Checked zoom levels in both the character sheet and in the browser, verified that both are set to 100% Checked default text size in Chrome, verified that it's set to default. What the heck did I do and how do I fix it?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Try refreshing?

Edited 1673453645
That was actually the first thing that I tried - I forgot to list it. I refreshed, cleared cache, restarted Chrome, tried incognito mode, even reset Chrome to default settings. Shut down all apps and ran CCleaner.exe, ran a registry cleaner, performed a cold reboot of my desktop. I can still work with it as it is for now, but it just looks crappy. Update: &nbsp; I uninstalled Chrome, rebooted my PC, ran CCleaner.exe, ran a registry cleaner then reinstalled Chrome. Problem fixed.