Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Handout Editor Warning

One thing that can be rough with group notes is if two people are editing the note, the second person to save their note will overwrite the first. A prompt saying something similar to "Changes have been made since you opened this handout, continue to overwrite this handout?" in these cases would save many unfortunate incidents on many tables, I suspect.
Rather than this a version system would be nice. But I do not think we will ever get this... And although your suggestion would be a huge QoL Update I don't think they will implement it. Just for the reason that the VTT would have to track every opening of a handout AND match the corresponding ID to give you that warning. Besides: If I open a Handout just to view it and another player opens this very Handout and edits it... would I get a warning just because I opened the handout? GM said: One thing that can be rough with group notes is if two people are editing the note, the second person to save their note will overwrite the first. A prompt saying something similar to "Changes have been made since you opened this handout, continue to overwrite this handout?" in these cases would save many unfortunate incidents on many tables, I suspect.
The handout could be made "read only" while it's being edited by someone. There could be a pop-up saying "This handout is currently open for editing by another person" when the edit button is selected. We had something like this a my place of business. You could also restrict editing privileges of general party notes to someone who volunteers to be the party clerk. Or people could just say "I'm editing the party loot list"  when they open that handout so everyone knows what's up.
Would it be too much to ask that it worked as a Google Doc where many can edit simultaneously?
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .