Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Odd behavior during game on 18 June 2023, 7:00pm-Midnight, EST

Edited 1687148623
Our group experienced some odd behavior on the VTT during our game this evening. We had three players and myself as GM, and we are using the  D&D 5E for Roll20 character sheet. I and two of the players are using Chrome , the third player was using Firefox . Player tokens would disappear and reappear in a different location on the map. This happened to all three players on two different maps. One token "teleported" while another player was moving theirs, the other two while I as GM was moving an NPC token. On one player's character sheet, none of their skills were using their proficiency or attribute bonuses. Attacks, spells, etc. all worked correctly but not skill checks. This is a fairly new character sheet that this player has only used in three sessions, including this one. On another player's character sheet, none of the attacks, skill checks, spells or even initiative would work (no output to the chat). The problem went away after he closed then reopened the sheet. I as GM was the only one using the new UI with the redesigned toolbar (I decided to give it another chance after the DL drawing tools were improved).
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Rick, Regarding "teleporting", just confirming, what Mods (API scripts) are you using? Curious if any might be causing that in any way.  Otherwise, I might think they are disconnects where the server thinks the token is on one place, the client side thinks it is in another, then when it is updated it "jumps".  Second issue regarding skill checks: is that still happening?  Third issue regarding no output to the chat: this also sounds like a disconnect where the commands are either not reaching the server (probably).  Are your players in the same region or widely varying regions? 

Edited 1687191738
I and two of the players that participated last night are within 30 miles of each other.  The third is about 400 miles away. All have cable internet service at 1gb or better. These are the mods that I'm using: Edit: Speaking of API scripts, I had to re-start the API sandbox a LOT last night. Six times in a 5 hour gaming session that included about 2 hours of exploration and less than one hour (total) of combat. Most (4) of the restarts had to be made during the two combat encounters. (The rest of the session was RP between the players and NPCs) I just went into the game and tried the skill checks for that player's character sheet. Skill checks in which the character is marked as being proficient work correctly. Other skill checks do not, although the character has the "Jack of All Trades" ability: Starting at 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus. This ability is supposed to apply to all skill checks in which the character is not proficient. What I discovered today is that it's only being applied to skills that use the Dexterity or Charisma attribute. The option to apply the JOAT ability is enabled in the character sheet settings:

Edited 1687209182
Gauss
Forum Champion
Rick A. said: I and two of the players that participated last night are within 30 miles of each other.  The third is about 400 miles away. All have cable internet service at 1gb or better. These are the mods that I'm using: Edit: Speaking of API scripts, I had to re-start the API sandbox a LOT last night. Six times in a 5 hour gaming session that included about 2 hours of exploration and less than one hour (total) of combat. Most (4) of the restarts had to be made during the two combat encounters. (The rest of the session was RP between the players and NPCs) I just went into the game and tried the skill checks for that player's character sheet. Skill checks in which the character is marked as being proficient work correctly. Other skill checks do not, although the character has the "Jack of All Trades" ability: Starting at 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus. This ability is supposed to apply to all skill checks in which the character is not proficient. What I discovered today is that it's only being applied to skills that use the Dexterity or Charisma attribute. The option to apply the JOAT ability is enabled in the character sheet settings: One of the oddities of internet service is that folks think they should have excellent internet because they have "cable internet 1gb or better".  The fact is, that is only from you to your ISP. And I don't know a single ISP that guarantees such service.  There can be a problem anywhere from your ISP to the destination. I remember one game I used to play was TERRIBLE with one ISP and fine with another. Why? Well after doing a traceroute I discovered they hit different nodes and one of the nodes was having major issues.  Contact the ISP, they said it isn't their system. Tried contacting the node, no dice there, they don't care about the users, they only deal with the companies.  Anyhow, point of this story is...you may have an excellent modem, excellent connection to your ISP, and then bad connection between your ISP and the destination at any point along the way. Which is why I was looking to see if you were all in the same region as it could be the same node causing issues.  If the problem happens again I would do a traceroute using a program such as PingPlotter.  Regarding the API scripts, I would take that list to the API forum and ask if any might cause the "teleport" behavior. I am not an expert on API scripts.  Regarding the issue with Jack of All Trades, please screenshot the Core tab of the character (entire core tab please), and then please make a skills roll and hover over the skill after to show me the bonuses. 
I'll get those screen shots up the next time that I'm at my desktop. I'm currently on my mobile.

Edited 1687278161
Character sheet Core tab: Skill check, DEX based, not proficient   (JOAT ability has been correctly included) : Skill check, CHA based, not proficient   (JOAT ability has been correctly included) : Skill check, INT based, not proficient  (JOAT ability has NOT been included - also, this character should have a -1 modifier to this roll due to their intelligence score) : Skill check, CHA based, proficient (Proficiency bonus has been correctly included):
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I can't reproduce the behavior above on an old bard character. Was the character created and maintained by Charactermancer?

Edited 1687292162
Yes. The player joined our existing game, so I allowed them to create an 8th level character to join the existing party. They built a School of Creation bard using charactermancer. I noticed that the skills that aren't being calculated correctly are all ones that use attributes in which the character has a negative (-1) modifier. I also  just found that the same is happening to this character's saving throws: Their STR, INT and WIS saving throws all show a "0" modifier instead of the (-1) modifier that should be applied. I wonder if that negative modifier is somehow throwing off the formula within the character sheet? Edit: I just tried some skill checks and the saving throws on another character that also has negative ability score mods, and their's are being rolled correctly (they show the "-1" in the roll when hovering my cursor above the results) keithcurtis said: I can't reproduce the behavior above on an old bard character. Was the character created and maintained by Charactermancer? Edit 2: On further investigation, it looks like the character's +1 mod from the JOAT skill is cancelling out the (-1) ability score modifier but the two mods aren't being shows separately when the cursor is hovered over the result in chat: Instead of showing "1d20+1[Proficiency]-1[strength]" it just shows  "1d20+0[Mods]". Also, it looks the the JOAT skill is also being applied to saving throw rolls, though it shouldn't be.
Gauss
Forum Champion
By the looks of it, JOAT isn't being applied to the saving throws, the Ring of Protection is. :) Strength save is showing a +0. With a -1 Strength modifier it should be -1, except the Ring of Protection adds a +1 to saves making it +0. By the looks of it, everything is working correctly, just the +1/-1 is being improperly represented on mouseover.  
I missed that! Well, mystery solved. Thanks Gauss and kiethcurtis for looking into this.