Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dragonbane sheet improvement suggestions

Edited 1700212251
The Dragonbane character sheet is pretty, looks like the paper version and is great, but after trying it out I have some suggestions for improvement for the digital implementation. Increase the cap of WP and HP : Currently capped at 20. With the Focused and Robust heroic abilities it is quite easy to get above 20 as a PC, but also the NPCs they face, it will often make sense to have above 20 in these values. Ideally dynamically add rows of circles if the current or max value of WP or HP is higher than 20. Separation of attack and damage roll : According to the rules, the attack roll is performed first, then the target decides whether to parry or dodge, and only then is damage rolled. If you use the weapons on the sheet the attack and damage rolls are done in 1 click - so either you have to decide on parry/dodge after you see the damage, which is not according to the rules, or you have to click the same button at least 2 times (in case 1 the rolls crit you need to get matching damage rolls). Spells : When making an ability as a spell it has some faded out suggestions of each value like Requirements have Gesture. However, the Casting Time has the default suggestion being "Instant" (same as default Duration), but it should have been "Action".  Clearer edit mode : Editing the correct is generally confusing. I have two suggestions to improve the edit UI: Cog wheel down a notch. It is usually placed in the upper right corner of the ability/gear/weapon you want to edit. I think moving the cog wheel down a notch so that it is in the middle of either the section you are editing or in the middle of the header-line you want to edit would save my group for many missclicks. Keep the header on cog wheel clicks. If I got e.g. 3 abilities and click the cog wheel for the 2nd the list of abilities now at a quick glance looks to have 2 abilities with the 1st ability in edit mode. I very much would have preferred the first line with the name to keep the same font size as the other abilities in the list. Monsters : When you click the cog wheel @{monster_view} the window is right aligned rather than an aligned to the left. The advantage of this is that the cog wheel is stationary and in the same side as every other cogwheel. But it looks silly the stat block is all to the right if you haven't added any abilities with long descriptions to the window. I think the monster window should just be stretched to follow both the left and right side.  Monster Base Skills 15 : This is a weird implementation. You can't really roll any skill with a base of 15 - instead you can roll a new skill called Base Skills that ALWAYS have 15 - no way to edit that number for the monster. I think it makes sense to just have a text field with a base skill value for all skills of the monster (e.g. default to 15), show all skills as clickable and when you roll it assumes a value of 15 unless that skill has a different value than the default (higher or lower). New NPCs: I wish all stats defaulted to 10 or 11 when you create a new NPC character. That would give all NPCs a base chance of 5 in all skills, and you just changed what you needed to change for that NPC.  I understand the development time of the sheet being less having the NPC and PC sheet being identical, but compared to the books NPC sheets and book stat blocks looks very different. E.g. to create a Goblin Scout you need to put in e.g. 10 in Kin Movement, AGL of 15 to get the correct AGL damage bonus of D4 and moment of 12. Nowhere on the stat block in the book itself is the goblin AGL nor Goblin kin default movement speed stated. Consider making a separate NPC sheet (especially without having the stat default suggestion above implemented). Mounts + Saddle bags, & Stash : I know this isn't on the default character sheet, but I thing it would be awesome to somehow be able to flag items as being stored in the saddleback of your mount or in a stash e.g. in a safe city. Dragonbane is by designed intended to have you on your toes with not bringing too much gear, with a very small inventory compared to other games, which I think is great. But the rules also states that you can place things on your mount and even mentions that a mount can have 2 saddle bags. Would be super helpful for PCs to manage their encumbrance that they could flag items as being on self, on their mount, or in a stash, and then the encumbrance formula for self only including the relevant one (ideally a separate one for the mount). Auto reduction of WP : I like that the WPs are deducted automatically when you use an ability. However, I think sometimes is a bit too smart. Especially when you just want to read your abilities and e.g. click the name of the ability rather than the speech bubble or the cog wheel. Also same abilities have varying cost like the "Master Tanner" ability. Also, some of my players just like to have the manual control of their own sheet. My suggestion would be to under Sheet Behavior be able to toggle the auto deduction of WP on/off. Wider encumbrance column:  If someone caries e.g. 4 Field rations at the weight of 1, I would prefer to write that as: "x4 Field Rations 0.25". But the 5 will get almost cut off and it doesn't look pretty.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Gediablo, I'm one of the sheet authors that worked on the Dragonbane sheet.  Thanks for the great feedback! I can't promise we'll implement these, but I'll add them to our feedback tickets.

Edited 1700212057
Here are some more feedback Red Squared Boxes around abilities : Happened on different character sheets for me now. Clearly they indicate something is wrong, but no idea why - the ability seem to work with the red box anyway. Not sure how to reproduce the error, but once they are there they seem impossible to get rid of. I tried clearing all the fields, deleting the ability, moving the ability up or down the list, retyping everything - the red box reappear even as an ampty ability if you deleted it. One one character I even had 2 of them at some point. The only workaround I found so far is to create a new character sheet from scratch and copy-paste everything over, but this is not a great solution. Initiative in the Party Sheet: This feature was so well hidden that I had runs several Dragonbane sessions before even realising it was there. It has a very good visual respresentatio, but the main thing I dislike is that you can't just recall all cards and deal/draw new cards - instead when you clear the board every entry is cleared. This means that every player and every monster and NPC (or group of) need to be added manually to the initiative list from their token every Round. So clumsy and slow, that I prefer making a Card Deck and use the "Deal cards to turn order items" instead. To be honest I still don't know what the setting "User Roll20 initiative: Always/No" in the Part Sheet actually mean. This feature does not appear complete. Compendium support: It seems to be there, yet it is not. Apparently backers got it, everyone who bought the game don't have the access. My impression is that this is different from the way it is handled at Foundry. Also very unclear how the Bestiary book will be handled together with the Compendium. As far as I know all the monsters in the compendium can be dragged and dropped (if you were a backer) to the NPC or Monster character sheets. Seems like a waste of everyone else's time right now that this isn't available for everyone when it is developed and in production for some - at least give us the option to pay for it. The whole VTT support level seems very vague, and based around hope and lack of information rather than a plan - unfortunately not something that inspire confidence in the system for me as a GM.
Guys, I just got Dragonbane and I absolutely love it! I would like to add some additional spells from other BRP sources (like Magic World) but I have no idea how to create a macro that will do that. Could someone just share a generic script with me, then a populated one so I can copy it? I am not really...let's say coding is an emerging skill set. Thanks in advance. The character sheet is amazeballzs.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You shouldn't need to write a macro to add spells. Simply create a new ability on your character sheet and enter the information there.