Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e Temporary HP Changes

Hi all, DMing a 5e campaign. Anyone have any suggestions for how to handle temporary hit point maximum changes? For example, in my campaign there are specters, which reduce the PCs' HP maximum. So far, all I can think to do is ask them to manually reduce their maximum. But of course, after they long rest, the only way back to their original HP is to remember how many HP they had before and re-enter it. Many of my players are newbies and may not even remember their previous maximum HP. Same question goes for spells like Aid. Any best practices? Thanks!

Edited 1697315602
Gauss
Forum Champion
In the bottom right corner of the character sheet I record the maximum HP for a character, update that every level.  Thus, when Aid or other effects change the HP maximum there is no problem setting it back to normal.
In our group, we don't actually change the max hit points on the character sheets but keep a record of the temporary maximum on the side, sometimes in a handout, sometimes on paper, whichever is more convenient for me as GM. The reduced size of their token's health bars helps remind the players that their PCs are hurting. Also, I make a backup of all the player's character sheets at the end of each session. (I don't tell them that I do this.) 
Rick A. said: In our group, we don't actually change the max hit points on the character sheets but keep a record of the temporary maximum on the side, sometimes in a handout, sometimes on paper, whichever is more convenient for me as GM. The reduced size of their token's health bars helps remind the players that their PCs are hurting. Also, I make a backup of all the player's character sheets at the end of each session. (I don't tell them that I do this.)  Thanks for the tips, Rick!
Another thing I've used previously is to do the addition/subtraction right on the character sheet. So if they have a normal max 43 HP I can add a "+5" or "-10" after the 43. This will adjust the bar on the token as expected and makes it easy to just remove the extra bits when they are done. It does mess a bit with the restoration mechanisms of long rest scripts though but that's not been a huge issue.
Gauss said: In the bottom right corner of the character sheet I record the maximum HP for a character, update that every level.  Thus, when Aid or other effects change the HP maximum there is no problem setting it back to normal. Gauss, what do you mean by "in the bottom right corner"?
Are you rolling for HP each level, or using the 'Fixed' HP progression? If you're using the Fixed progression, then it's easy enough to recalculate when needed. If you are using the Fixed progression then it's easy to autocalculate:  Class + (Level-1)*(Class/2+1) + (Level*ConMod) This formula should get you their base Fixed HP (but it's missing some modifiers, such as Feats or other racial abilities that increase HP) : [[ [[@{selected|hitdietype}]] + [[ [[ [[@{selected|level}}]] - 1]] * (@{selected|hitdietype}/2+1)]] + [[ [[@{selected|level}]] * @{selected|constitution_mod}]] ]] Or if you want a query to ask what their level and class is: !?{Level?}?{Class?|Barbarian,12|Bard,8|Cleric,8|Druid,8|Fighter,10|Monk,8|Ranger,10|Rogue,8|Paladin,10|Sorcerer,6|Wizard,6|Warlock,8} [[ [[?{Class?}]] + [[ [[?{Level?} - 1]] * (?{Class?}/2+1)]] + [[?{Level?}*@{selected|constitution_mod}]] ]] Then you  can create a custom attribute on their character sheets, and use that formula (or a similar formula that accounts for any additional factors that increase their hit points) in the custom attribute. If you call the attribute "MaxHitPoints" you would call it with @{selected|MaxHitPoints} and get their current maximum Fixed hit points. If you are rolling each level for an increase in hit points, then you would just create the custom attribute 'MaxHitPoints' and make sure that you update it each time the character levels up. But it would be nice if there was a Max Hit Points Modifier field on the sheet - you might suggest that in the main D&D 5E by Roll20 forum thread, or in the Suggestions forum.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Steven B. said: Gauss said: In the bottom right corner of the character sheet I record the maximum HP for a character, update that every level.  Thus, when Aid or other effects change the HP maximum there is no problem setting it back to normal. Gauss, what do you mean by "in the bottom right corner"? The Features & Traits section. It is good for making notes too. :)