Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Add Hide from Players to Hide/Unhide Message option

The hide message option in the chat should have an option to hide the message from the players. I recently was playing a Roll20 marketplace module. Although I changed the tab from Show to Hide in the name section, when I clicked on an attack, not only did the attack appear in the chat but the description which also contained the name of the creature was in it. I quickly hide the message, but I could not refer to the hit and damage that was done because it was also hidden from the GM. I think the GM should have the option to hide messages from the players only. Please vote yes on this!
The GM can "hide" all messages he likes and I don't see a reason that should be changed! If I as a GM roll or write something I don't want the Players to see, I simply hide the message (just because I cannot delete it)... So why should I - as a GM - not be able to delete my own messages and instead only those of players?
You obvious misread the post. The idea is to hide a GM Roll from his players AND NOT THE GM. The GM should still be able to see it, but NOT the players. This has nothing to do with setting up the roll to be secret, which can already be done. It is to hide a MISTAKE that appears in the chat section quickly from the player, yet still allow the GM to see it.
michael k. said: You obvious misread the post. The idea is to hide a GM Roll from his players AND NOT THE GM. The GM should still be able to see it, but NOT the players. This has nothing to do with setting up the roll to be secret, which can already be done. It is to hide a MISTAKE that appears in the chat section quickly from the player, yet still allow the GM to see it. AH... ok. Well, there is already another Thread open on this and it has collected many votes since it was opened (a long time ago)... ^^ You can find the thread here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4922089/gmrolls-that-are-hidden-even-from-the-player-that-makes-the-roll" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4922089/gmrolls-that-are-hidden-even-from-the-player-that-makes-the-roll</a> Maybe you want to spend a vote on this one :)
I went to the other thread you posted. It is completely different than what I am requesting. I am specifically asking them to add a third option to the hide and Unhide option.

Edited 1699943458
michael k. said: I went to the other thread you posted. It is completely different than what I am requesting. I am specifically asking them to add a third option to the hide and Unhide option. The last line of your original Post: I think the GM should have the option to hide messages from the players only. Please vote yes on this! States that - and this is exactly the topic of the thread I linked to you - that Players make a roll, that is only visible to you as a GM. So what is the third option you want to add to it? In your second post you stated this: The idea is to hide a GM Roll from his players AND NOT THE GM And this is already possible: GM Rolls. And when using e.g. the official DnD 5E Sheet by Roll20 this is already implemented! Just select it and you are good to go! You make a roll that is hidden to your players -&gt; Use GM Rolls Your Players make a roll and you want to be the only one seeing the result -&gt; See linked thread. You make a roll that is partially hidden from your Players -&gt; Either roll the critical parts manually as GM OR prep a second character sheet with only necessary infos or just rename the crutial parts before making the roll...

Edited 1699983960
I believe what the OP is asking for is the ability to hide a message or roll from the players After The Fact , but still have the message or roll visible to the GM. IOW, if the GM makes a roll, then, once the roll appears in the chat, the GM then decides that he wants to hide that roll from the players but not from themselves.
That is how I read it, as an enhancement suggestion to the existing "hide a chat message" functionality, to allow a message (which could be a dice roll, or a whisper you sent someone that went public instead) in chat to be hidden from the players after the fact.&nbsp; That other thread is about being able to create rolls that will be hidden when they are sent (useful, but as the OP said, a completely different request). Sometimes you screw up and need to make something go away, which is why we have "hide message", and sometimes you need to see it but the player's don't. So I'm throwing my vote in on this also.
Thank you, Ken and Rick. Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Markus just doesn't understand the request. This is a simple request. In the Chat box, there is an option to hide or unhide a message that appears there. The current use of the Hide option allows the chat box to be decluttered. However, if something appears in the chat box that the GM doesn't want the players to see, but keep it seen for himself, there should be an option for that...Hide from Players.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .