Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

View & Manage a Game's Characters OUTSIDE the VTT

You don't need to load a whole game anymore just to assign or edit one character sheet! Open your Roll20 game details page and you'll now see every character in that game. From there you can open, assign, fetch, or duplicate any of them. Make all your changes between sessions without entering the VTT! You can read the whole post on our blog . Please let us know what would make this work even better for you!
As a player the ability to see character sheets vs npc sheets (I have a druid and I have 3 pages of 'characters' for my beast forms and summons.) The ability to access shops/treasure chests as a seperate category, currently they're just 'unassigned characters'. It doesn't seem to work properly with Demiplane linked characters, at least in the two Cyberpunk: Red games I've got (One I play, one I am creator/GM).
1791232766

Edited 1791232977
StéphaneD
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Works only for character sheets « by Roll20 » right ? Not for games using legacy community sheets ? (No Beacon, no demiplane) On the first game I tried, it does not show anything when selecting « players characters », but I’m pretty sure some sheets where assigned to the 4 players in the last 20+ sessions I GM’ed Maybe that’s because the players created the characters themselves ? I think it triggered some issues when migrating to Jumpgate last year
When I select  <player characters> it shows nothing, even though I have 6 players with assigned character sheets, and three of those also have NPC character sheets under their control (their familiars). We're using the D&D 5E by Roll20 (2014 / Legacy Sheet). None of the PC character sheets were created using Roll20 Characters - they were all created by the GM within the game then assigned to the players. StéphaneD said: On the first game I tried, it does not show anything when selecting « players characters », but I’m pretty sure some sheets where assigned to the 4 players in the last 20+ sessions I GM’ed
1791235692

Edited 1791235718
StéphaneD
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The sheets in my game were created in the VTT using the +Character button by the players, which I believe puts the characters in the Roll20 Characters thingy
The Player Character section shows any Character Sheets (NPC sheets included) that have both "Can Edit" and "In Journals" set in the game and  the player has Fetched into Roll20 Characters. If the GM or the Player clicks "Add Character" from the Game Details page, all of that is handled automatically for you. Characters that are not yet Fetched are still shown to Players who are set in both "Can Edit" and "In Journals" set.
1791260683
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Dean, curious, what is the criteria to actually have a sheet included in Roll20 Characters?  I know there is a "vote" button, but what does that actually do?  Does a sheet need 10 votes to be added? 100 votes?  I might suggest including that info and actually show the current tally of any given sheet. 
1791284016

Edited 1791284680
BTW interestingly enough, while I don't get Cyberpunk Red's sheet from Demiplane, it will usually (sometimes it gives me an error) list the characters from the SWADE Deadlands game I'm in, along with the Star Wars WEG D6 game I'm in. I can't open the characters because they're not supported for that but they are there. EDIT: Useful feature that could be added: List icon, character, player, and maybe even a 'view bio' link for any PC sheet listed as appearing in 'all journals'. Or maybe use the 'Party Member' checkmark to determine that, to enable listing them for a kind of 'Dramatis Personea' for any game that includes them.
Hi, Managed to bring up the characters. Had to scroll through several pages to find a specific character and found opening that character took longer than opening the game. Also, once the character was open I couldn't access the advanced tools tabs which I need to adding macros
1791295221
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
FFR said: Hi, Managed to bring up the characters. Had to scroll through several pages to find a specific character and found opening that character took longer than opening the game. Also, once the character was open I couldn't access the advanced tools tabs which I need to adding macros Hey FFR! Can't answer many of those, but there is a search field which should cut down on scrolling.
1791302187

Edited 1791302263
I went to a game in which I am a player but don't have GM privileges and was able to open my character sheet as well as some NPC characters sheets for which I've been given control. The GM of this game has allowed the players to create and import character sheets. When I go to a game that I've created, selecting "Players characters" shows nothing . If I select "All characters" or "Unassigned characters" I can scroll, search and open any character sheet, including my player's sheets. I have set my  Game Settings  to NOT allow players to import or create characters; I created their character sheets for them and assigned edit and viewing rights for each player individually. When I log into that same game with my dummy account - which has been invited to that game but not given GM privileges - I can see all the character sheets to which my dummy account has been given edit and viewing rights.
1791311376

Edited 1791312389
Some good, but mostly bad: Why limit it to pre-fetched sheets?  Why not prompt to fetch the sheet to Characters when you attempt to access it?   My bad, this does work for supported sheets, apparently, even if not pre-fetched. My initial test must have done something wrong but I tried this with a brand new D&D 2014 sheet assigned to a test account, and that account loaded it straight into the editor without pre-fetching. On the good side, I pulled up a legacy game I played in a couple of years ago, and saw (and could open) my D&D 2014 sheet from it. It did give me the standard 2014 creation prompt for "open as NPC/Manual/Edit", but selecting manual brought up the old sheet as-is.  I do think I'd archived that sheet to Characters when the campaign went dormant though.  But I'm surprised it worked with a legacy game, particularly an old one. On the flip side, the lack (and it's a Characters lack, not limited to this feature) for manually editing sheets that aren't "supported" despite being supported in-game, is a general problem with Characters.  It really ought to support the same manual editing a game does (e.g, for sheets like the standard Mongoose Traveller sheet, or anything else I can edit in game, including custom sheets).  I can see Traveller characters in game details, but clicking on one, even one I previously fetched to Characters, gets me the "not supported" error. It also suffers from the inability to manually change some aspects of a 2024 sheet that was built originally by the builder.  I have a 2024 character I'd like to manually level-up now (because the Builder still has issues), but can't because it was originally created with builder, and when I pull it up this way it's even worse, as I don't have the 2024 content the DM has, so I can't even level up meaningfully in the builder. That's a Characters limitation, obviously, but this feature is intimately tied to Characters. Oh, and having the not supported error direct players to the game creator for "help" is a real slap in the face for us: the only help I can give them is to tell them the game isn't supported, which the error already did. Gee, thanks for making that my problem.