Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

WITCH HUNTER 2e: Organized Play: Looking for Players and GM - Post interest here

Edited 1421509039
I would like to organize Witch Hunter 2e organized play events for the Revelations Campaign . Even a one-shot would be great. Please indicate any interest to this post whether you are a player or if you are willing to GM as well as availability. I'm also cross-posting this announcement to Paradigm. <a href="http://forums.paradigmconcepts.com/viewforum.php?f=15" rel="nofollow">http://forums.paradigmconcepts.com/viewforum.php?f=15</a> The typical slot for a Organized play session is 3-4 hours, but online play allows for more flexibility. Pre-generated characters are available. Character sheet function is enabled for ROLL20. [EDIT: UPDATED 1/16/2015 ] Here is the information GMs will need: 1. Indicate your experience with the Witch Hunter 2e or 1e game 2. Are you willing to GM a Revelations session? 3. Give Revelations Campaign Characte r details (pregen or make your own) Adventure Code Adventure Title Story Arc Release Date Adventure Blurb WHR-HP-1-01 Bedlam Genesis 2013-12-26 The Witch Hunters investigate what caused one of their own to lose his mind on his last mission. In the process they discover that Bedlam itself has a darker secret and that the two may be connected. WHR-HP-1-02 The Lost Child Genesis 2013-12-26 Following clues as to a mother/child that went missing from Bedlam over 10 years ago, the Witch Hunters cross paths with a cult of diabolists who have been kidnapping children. WHR-HP-1-03 The Genesis Stone Genesis 2014-06-06 Sent after the very item that broke the mind of their fellow, can the Witch Hunters retrieve the Genesis Stone from the hands of one of their oldest rivals. WHR-HP-1-04 My Cross to Bear Genesis 2014-06-06 One of the Twelve Penitents needs help to save his young protégé from within the Invisible World itself. What sort of creature has taken the boy and to what ends? WHR-SP-1-01 The Crossing Genesis 2013-12-26 A fallen Hunter’s unfinished job leads you over the water to London. You’ll soon be back to your old life, once you finish the crossing…

Edited 1421511079
Experience with Witch Hunter 2e : Novice to the game system, own the 2e book, I'm running "The Crossing" at an upcoming convention. Willing to GM? Yes, after the first session Character: pre-generated character [edit:Revelations Character Pre-Gen chosen: Peter John (one of the Pre-generated characters) Order: Fellowship of the Ashen Cross Background: Peter is the name this young monk took when he accepted his final vows. Many saw it s a sign of ego, and he was assigned to minor post in order to attempt to teach him humility. He claims he chose the name Peter in recognition of the choice to give himself completely over to the will of God. He has devoted himself completely to the service of God, but he always manages to work some recognition, some positive reinforcement of his own contributions, while claiming that he is trying to recognize the power which God allows him to wield. Jay H

Edited 1421526060
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Very interested, as player or GM (but would really like to play for a change). Available from 8pm Central and afterward everyday but Mondays and Fridays. Can probably bring along at least one more experienced player as well. Experience with Witch Hunter 1e and 2e game: Played a few events of WH Dark Providence years ago; been running a WH 2e home game here on Roll20 for over a year Are you willing to GM a Revelations session? Sure! Though I'd really like to get a chance to play. I don't have a WH Revelations character, but I've been meaning to cook up a swashbuckling sorcerer for a while now.
I would also be very interested in playing, but not GMing, as my time is somewhat more limited at this point in terms of running things. I am available typically after 7:30-8 PM CST most nights (excepting Tuesdays) and depending on work travel schedule. I have a character already (Antonio Esposito) from the Kickstarter and heir to Roland, carrying the sword Durendal, and he has played "Bedlam" so far :)
I'd be interested in playing. I'm available Monday or Friday from 7 PM to Midnight MST. I don't have a character at the moment, but I can make one
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Got one of my regular players on board to play so long as the night is right.
if you are still looking for players i am looking to play .... i am free most weekends... i have skype & XP in 3.5 & 4.0
I looking to be a player if the ofer is still there
Tom and I are discussing going about this. We'll have an announcement in the upcoming week/s Jay H
Player and I have the 2e Book! Read it two times but never played or ran a WH 2e game yet. I did run 5+ WH 1e games and they were a blast! Let me know if going to start a game....
Update (also updated to first post): Here is the information organized play GMs will need: 1. Indicate your experience with the Witch Hunter 2e game 2. Are you willing to GM a Revelations session? 3. Give Revelations Campaign Characte r details (if you use a pregen, indicate which one) jh
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Jay H. said: Tom and I are discussing going about this. We'll have an announcement in the upcoming week/s Next week, potentially. In the meantime, let us know if you are interested.
Count me in and my oldest son (23) also! We can play on T/W/F/S evenings...EST Count me in and my oldest son (23) also! We can play on T/W/F/S evenings...EST
1. I've played it at Gencon, and I've had the book for quite some time. 2. If need be, though I may not be the optimal choice 3. I plan on being an English Hermetic Magi of the Apostles of the New Dawn. Pleasant, adventerous and the like.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok, folks. Here is the OFFICIAL sign-up thread . If you are interested and can attend at the specified time, please post to that thread. If you are interested in playing (or GMing!) in future WHR events here on Roll20, please continue to post on this interest thread. Thanks!
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
We have just over a week to go before our first event, so I'm bumping this thread to keep it on the radar.
I'm excited. Let's go hunt some witches!
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Actually, witch's are about the least of your worries. In my regular game, the players are searching for an abandoned lodge in a flooded, ghoul-haunted section of Worms (this is right after the sacking by the French in 1689 that kicked off the War of Grand Alliances) hoping to find something that will aid them in killing dragons. But that is another story entirely. I just don't want folks thinking this is Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, the RPG. It's a bit more like the Winchester Brothers and Harry Dresden found themselves in a Solomon Kane story.

Edited 1422673052
I am interested in playing. Actually I am really interested in potentially writing for this campaign like I did for the last one, but until I get a feeling for how it plays, it is not good to even think about putting fingers to pixels. Some weeknight are possible but never before 7pm eastern, and 1st and 4th Saturdays are usually free. The TV show Sleepy Hollow has a lot of Witch Hunter type feel as well. experience in Witch Hunter 2e: I've read the book Willing to GM: after I have some playing experience Character: Dr. William West Stalkers of the Unseen Hunt Dr West is an English born Physician whose bad experience with a surgery too close to gunpowder storage has led him to use a simple crossbow to keep the feral dogs, cadaver gatherers and rats from his patients. His slightly scarred face (makes him roguish not ugly), tattered ear, and his lasting impaired hearing give testimony to his proximity when some Russian idiot brought their burning match to the gunpowder storage. "That never would have happened at an English encampment," he has been known to say.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
P Dennis. I got you all set up from the other thread. Happy to hear you are interested in GMing. Have I got a toolkit for you! :)
Tom said: P Dennis. I got you all set up from the other thread. Happy to hear you are interested in GMing. Have I got a toolkit for you! :) I am interested - but first I have to get a sense of how the play works. All I've ever run on roll20 is pathfinder games and I don't use most of the features because I don't really have time to learn it all (nor inclination, that sort of stuff I do for work, not for play). Still in the Dark Providence campaign I don't think I ever had a map used, so I am curious. I was asked to write for this campaign early on, but I said not until I get a chance to play. So a bunch of play will get my horror writing back in swing - I hope.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Well Jay and I have three events divvied up at this point, so we're good through April. I don't rely on grids and maps for tactical play. Instead, I try to go for evocative imagery. When I do use a map, it's more a set piece than a, "move six squares. Oops! You set off a trap!" sort of affair. I do make use of tokens for macros, token actions and to clarify opponents. But one thing I've been trying to get back to with WH is back to theater of the mind style of play that I enjoyed before d20 and Savage Worlds made tactical play more the rule than exception. One challenge I've been tackling with the Revelations game is redoing my standard macro toolkit. I've thrown out everything I use in my home game and started from a fresh palate. This time, all the macros have been designed with an eye towards the player who doesn't want to mess with all the digital cruft, just wants to use his or her paper character sheet and (grudgingly) throw digital dice. So it has all the standard functionality, but is a lot less reliant on other tools. We'll see how it works.
I look forward to using the digital character sheet, and once the basics are attached for me, I will fill in my stuff
Tom, could you add a fake NPC token or two on the base screen, so we all could test out our macros ahead of the game. Most of the macros seem to need a target, and I'd like to get a hang on how they work. Having a couple targets - call them Peter Paul and Mary or A B C - but it might be helpful
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Done. I put up a minion band and a lieutenant. Have fun!
Actually just like the PC icons, I cannot select those tokens - so the macros don't work. So I will need to be able to select them (which think actually might require me being able to move them in Roll20)
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
You should still be able to target them. I'll tweak them though for this practice.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok, I've made the test monsters controllable. So you can have them attack your guys if you want some back and forth action. But you should be able to "target" any token on the field, friend or foe. "Selecting" a token is a different matter. You should only be able to "select" your own character token.
How do I know I have targeted them?
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
The big black pop up that tells you to target another token goes away. :)
What I get is pick a target message - perhaps we'll see in the game itself, the targeting macros I could never get to work unless I targeted myself

Edited 1423064442
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
That's very odd. Does anyone else have this problem? Usually I might have an issue with a hanging target pop-up, which means something is wrong with the macro. But you should be able to target any macro on the field. Here is where you may be getting hung up. All of the specific skill macros (including the fighting macros) require a "selected" token and a "targeted" token. You'll need to select your token first, then run the macro. You'll then be asked for a target. Once the target is chosen, the macro completes and should give you a result. Does that solve the problem?
That does it - the black box is annoying and in the way - but yes, selecting my token, then selecting their token, putting in the complexity, and the modifier and then it works. Thansk
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Awesome! Sorry I wasn't more clear up front. A lot of this stuff is second nature to me now and I forget how non-intuitive some of it is. I have a "basic-attack" macro I'm planning to include that really is basic . I think the current draft requires a target (but no select), but I think I'll change that to a simple prompt. That will cut that learning curve out entirely.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok, tomorrow is the big night. If you didn't get a chance to participate and are still interested, now is a good time say something. I expect we will get started planning our next event soon after this weekend. I will start a new recruitment thread for that event once we have a date established.
I'd love to play in the next event. Brand new to the system and don't have the book (yet), but it sounds like a lot of fun and right up my alley. After looking over the pre-gens on the Paradigm site, I'd like to play Tom from the Stalwarts of St. Christopher Order, if possible. I believe the last session ran/is running on Saturday night, and that time frame would be a good fit for me too. I'm not available this Saturday (if it's even an option), but am free pretty much every Saturday night after that for the foreseeable future.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
You're on the list, Doug. Right now, we are working on scheduling the next event. Once we get that down, we'll post it and start signing up players. I figure it's only right to give the crew from the last adventure first crack at it, but it's nice to have extras in case they can't make it. And, on top of that, if there is enough interest we might be able to swing running a second event. So stay tuned.
Very interested to play.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Hey everyone! I've posted the announcement/sign-up thread for the next WHR session. Find it here !
i certainly wish to play again as Artur Sampson

Edited 1424357807
Experience with Witch Hunter 2e : Own the 2e book, have played "Bedlam". Willing to GM? No, due to time commitments I can only be a player. Name: Antonio Montana Esposito Nationality: Italian Catalyst: The Witness Background: Inquisitor Social Status: Commoner Order: Apostles of the New Dawn Religion: Catholic Sin: Perfectionist Virtue: Courageous Flaws: Code of Honor, Poor Senses (Hearing), Marked Man (Coven of the Dark Canticle) Background: Antonio Esposito grew up as an expatriate devout Italian Catholic in England; his father was a minor diplomat and his mother a seamstress. He left for the military when he came of age, taking his father's sword, an assumed family heirloom (that this was the holy sword, Durendal , was unknown to Antonio at the time). After distinguishing himself with valor while serving for many years in the Franco-Dutch War and achieving the rank of Colonel, he witnessed something during a major skirmish that left him shaken and his faith in God strengthened. During the battle, he witnessed a group of women in a small village enacting a profane rite. They summoned a demon and unleashed it on the Antonio's troops, slaughtering most of them. The creature, looming over Antonio, prepared to strike and let out a massive roar, partially deafening Antonio in his left ear. Antonio managed to grab his sword and, with a powerful thrust, ended the demon as the magic in the holy sword revealed itself to Antonio upon piercing the demon's flesh. He then tracked down the women and managed to capture one of them alive. He found he had a knack for obtaining the truth as he questioned her and she revealed that she was a witch, a member of the Coven of the Dark Canticle. After the battle and the interrogation, he returned to England to recuperate from his injuries. Soon thereafter, the Indulgence issued by King Charles on 15 March 1672 allowing Catholics in England to be allowed to worship freely and openly. was withdrawn in 1673 as a condition imposed on the King by Parliament for any further funds being voted for the war. Feelings were running very high against any attempt to return England to Catholicism and Parliament also demanded a Test Act be instituted in England which would prevent any Catholic from holding public office in England. Feeling disenfranchised, Antonio left the oppressive country, joining the Catholic Church in a more official capacity as an Inquisitor. He was then later inducted as a Witch Hunter and now, at 35 years of age, continues to use his Talents to hunt minions of the Adversary with his faith, relics, and holy sword, and seeks to find those of the Coven of the Dark Canticle in particular for which he has a burning hatred, a feeling mutually felt by the Coven.
of my curiosity - did you contact the campaign to find out a enemy for your Marked Man, or is it your invention (that you are unlikely to meet in game because if you write it into a game, you can't play that game), perhaps you were given it with your holy sword (which makes sense to me), and perhaps you would prefer not to answer - I understand. I was thinking of picking a marked man flaw, but I didn't know how it would work in a campaign setting like this Thanks in Advance
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
An excellent question! To the forums! though to be fair, the dark canticle is a ubiquitous enough villain that it's a sure bet that flaw will bite you hard at some point.
P. Dennis - Hello! I wrote up his background independently and decided that I liked the Dark Canticle as a foil for my hero, so thus I wrote it into his background and that was his flaw :) Nothing to do with the holy sword cert or anything which I received from the Kickstarter. Hope this answers the question! Jeff
Any update on when the next game might be?
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Saturday, March 21 @ 8 pm
Is there a sign location - or have I signed up already?
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes. And I have you down already. But I'm also making a list of other interested players. If we get enough deck it's, I'm going to run a second "table" that night.

Edited 1425671018
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Spent some time COMPLETELY redoing a lot of the basic macros based on play experience last time. They've been stripped down to be mean and lean – a lot less fiddly and a lot less prone to breakage, even if you will have to do some of your own math (that's a bad thing?). The only complex thing about them is they incorporate the rule of 10 now. But even then, they are a helluva lot less likely to break. Rather than prompts for half a dozen things, they just ask "how many dice are you rolling?" and the rest is pretty elementary. This only applies to the macro bar stuff. The character sheet stuff hasn't been altered at all – though there are a few bugs that need to be investigated before the next game night.
Thanks for putting in the work. jh
Yep.. this is great game. Nice playing a RPG without orcs, elves and dwarfs))) My son and I are ready....again!