Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

DnD 5e Update of Holding release

Edited 1426031577
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
An updated version of the DnD 5e sheet should be released with the Update of Holding (UoH) that's soon to be pushed live here on Roll20. Specifically, the sheet has been fully updated to use the new Roll Template system for all of it's output as well as provide some increased features/functionality as a result. A list of the new features, as well as some minor adjustments existing users will have to make (all highlighted like this) once the UoH is live, are listed below. Some mentor level users have been testing/playing around with the new features already so if you get stuck or have some feedback or comments feel free to post them here and i'll do what I can to answer them (and i'm sure others will chip in too!). As always, the sheet provides many options for many different styles of play but pretty much follows the rules as written as much as possible. It cannot possibly hope to cover every possible situation or variant of the rules but the existing setup alongside the additions the UoH brings, means it's reasonably flexible and should cover a large range of playstyles/rulesets. If it doesnt cover something you'd like to see then you can of course provide feedback for consideration and the code is freely available for anyone to customise/use/abuse as they see fit...and many have their own customisations already - <a href="https://github.com/Actoba/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Actoba/roll20-character-sheets/</a>... I will be updating the sheet's wiki page - <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Character_Sheet" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Character_Sheet</a> - and adding more documentation on the roll template setup it uses when I have time but for now you'll all have to manage without the documentation updates for a couple of weeks! Note that from my own testing I am aware of some issues with fields being much larger than they should be in the new class section as well as wrapping issues on the sheet both when using the new pop out character sheet option. The wrapping issues are resolved by simply making the popout window a little bit wider....the extra large fields I will need to look into a bit more. Happy gaming! --- 5e sheet Update of Holding Release Notes The update to the sheet should go live when the Update of Holding (UoH) is pushed live on Roll20. Existing campaigns using the current sheet will be updated automatically. Anyone using a customised version of the sheet will have to update their version manually. Sheet Wide updates All output from all macros on the sheet have been updated to use the new roll template feature. Because of this update all fields that are used for output cannot have line breaks in them . If you try to use a roll button and it uses an attribute that has a line break in the data this will break the output from the macro. At the time of writing, this is a known limitation of the new system and requires that users update the data they have in fields on the sheet to ensure they do not have line breaks in them in order to continue using the macros. This applies to the entire sheet. (both player and NPC!) At the moment, it is not possible to change the ribbon (header/banner colour on the output of each roll button) though the hope is that there will be options to customise this in future. But for now the default output colours are - Default/Generic rolls - Gray Green - Weapon attacks Purple - Spells Blue - Ability/skill checks Red - Saving throws Black - Death saves Core Stats section No significant changes other than output from rolls Skills secion No significant changes other than output from rolls Background section Added a large "Any other notes" free text section on the sheet - Requested by Ger D on Roll20 forums Class section Large rework here to provide significantly more power and flexibility in the class section! Existing sheet users will need to make some updates here! The following 2 repeating sections have been deprecated and will be removed from the sheet in a future release - Class Resources repeating section, and OLD Class Actions/Macros repeating section. Users should move the data from these sections into the new Class Actions section New Class actions section : This section can be used for any class/racial/other ability you may want to track usage of and/or create macros for. The output field works the same way as the old section and can include inline rolls and any other content you want provided it all is on a single line with no line breaks! You can then use this as a standalone macro by clicking the corresponding use button The new section is no longer a repeating section meaning you can drag and drop the macro button to your macro bar. Right now this section is limited to a total of 20 entries but the number of these will be reviewed and adjusted as demand becomes clear (allowing for performance as always) The real power in the new section comes from the ability to automatically include the output from a given entry whenever you make another type of roll on the sheet. This is accomplished by checking the "Show output options" box and then checking the types of rolls you want the output from this row to be included with. You can then uncheck the "Show output options" box to hide the option area and continue to use the sheet as normal. You can continue to use the Roll macro on the entry independent of any other output options you may select. Examples of use include (but are by no means limited too) : Rogue Sneak attack - Set the output to be something like "[[2d6]] damage plus [[2d6]] if a crit" and then check the melee and ranged weapon attack options and the sneak attack line is auto added to every weapon attack you make..can still use the macro button in the class section to roll it separately if you want to. Drow sunlight sensitivity - Set the output to be "Disadvantage on Perception checks that involve sight when in direct sunlight" and check the Perception output option to have that text auto included as a reminder when using the perception skill check..can still use the macro button in the class section to roll it separately if you want to. Cleric/Paladin Channel divinity option : Add the details for the relevant option to the output field, track the charges/usage in the fields given, Use the macro in the row for the output (likely not appropriate to auto include this elsewhere) Have a magic item that, for example, may grant advantage on Wisdom save throws, then text to that effect in the output field and check the Dex save throw output option to be reminded every time you make a Dex save throw Weapons section There is now a single button for each weapon row that combines the attack and damage rolls. Anyone using the older macros should update to using the new unified attack button Crit damage is no a field that users have to enter the damage into themselves. According to the rules as written, crit damage is simply the re-rolling of all damage dice again and adding that to the original total. There are however racial/class/weapons that modify this so the field for the crit damage is now one that needs to be added to by the user. By default this will be blank Be aware, crit damage will only show on weapon output if an attack roll is considered a crit. Otherwise it will not display You can now change your crit range on a weapon y weapon basis. By default all weapons are set to crit only on a natural 20. If you have a feature that allows you to crit on a natural 19 higher then change this attribute to 19. The display of crit damage will be triggered correctly based on the setting you have here and the attack roll result! Spell Section The spellbook section has undergone a significant overhaul. Each spell row now only has 2 macro buttons - One to display a spell info card based on the data you have entered in the spellbook row, and another to actually cast the spell. All other macros previously used have been removed from the sheet. You control the output the spell cast macro will send based on the checkboxes on each spellbook row. By default they are all NOT checked so you will need to decide for each row what the spell needs, and what you want, from the spell casting output. The buttons to show/hide the settings for each spell row have not changed and work as they did before. There is no macro button on each option line now though so it is much more likely that you will toggle on the display of a section, fill it in, and then toggle the display off again. The macro buttons to cast the spell will always remain visible and use the data you have entered regardless of whether the options are displayed. The damage option "Can Crit" had to be changed from a drop down selection to a checkbox. By default this will be NOT checked so users should review each spell entry and decide whether it needs checked or not. Be aware : Unlike the updated weapons section, there has been no addition of a separate crit damage field (or a crit range field) and as such crit damage is auto calculated for spells based on the damage dice specified. This may be revisited in future depending on demand Spells that have the can crit checkbox checked as well as the damage output option checked will only display critical damage when an attack roll for the spell actually crits (natural 20) Armour section No changes Inventory section Added autocalcs for the encumbrance variant rule in the DMG since it was requested several times. This is simply 2 fields which show the weight before a character is considered encumbered or heavily encumbered. and are displayed next to the standard ruleset autocalculated values for carrying and push/drag/lift maximums. NPC sheet All macro output updated to use new roll template system in same way as the PC sheet does. Doubled the number of NPC action lines available. This will be revied as demand dictates but will be impacted by the likelyhood of the section changing as per the long term goals below. GM's should be very aware that multiline content will break the output on the new macros. So large amounts of data in things like the NPC traits field or the NPC actions fields that contain line breaks will break any macros that use them. The long term intent here is to convert the NPC section into a more robust section likely by splitting out the simple weapon type attacks into their own NPC section similar (though not identical) to the player one as well as updating the NPC actions section to use a setup similar to the new PC class actions to provide for a more flexible output I cant stress this enough, multiline content will break output from macros at this time........be very wary of the NPC traits macro if you have a lot of content split over many lines in the NPC traits field! I'm not sure where this will end up but I can see a possible conversion to a list of fields with 1 for each trait being added to the sheet to replace the current single large textarea.....again this is likely to be longer term. The PC sheet remains the priority for the moment. --- Update : A quick update (dated 10th March 2015 on the sheet...so you'll know when you get it if the sheet has that date at the top) is queued and ready to go live which does 2 things - Fixes a spelling mistake on the core stats page, and provides a toggle to allow output from the NPC section of the sheet to be either whispered to the GM (default) or viewable publicly....
Thank you very much Actoba for you efforts, they are very much appreciated! The sheet looks and works really great! I am definitely one that hopes for customization in the ribbon color, as well as an option to have a line break inside larger text fields, but man the amount of improvement and work done here is really amazing. Thank you!
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
The updated sheet is live now! Players in existing campaigns using the sheet will need to make some minor updates to their sheet as detailed above. Enjoy :)
Thank you for your work on this sheet. It is truly appreciated. And so that no good deed goes unpunished can I ask about the possibility of removing the /w gm rolls from the npc sheet section. It would seem to me that with the new /talk to myself command there is no need to have it built in anymore. Those of us that prefer to have all the die rolls public won't have to use custom sheets and have mentor level accounts. Regardless, again thanks for all your work.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
I plan to add a toggle on the sheet to turn on/off the private NPC sheet rolls on a per character basis :)
First, also, thanks for your work. This is amazing. Okay, so I am a fighter and I have 4 superiority dice. I used to have macros for all the maneuvers that I could perform and I would manually reduce the number of die that I have. Now how do I keep track of the superiority die? I feel I need a separate macro for each maneuver but there is no way to tie it to the same maximum amount of die. Anyone have ideas?
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
That scenario is why the old class resources, and old class actions sections were separate...because you may have several uses for a resource, but need a single place to track usage. I would do the following. Use 1 row (row #1 in this example) to track the uses of the die. Here you can see I have it set yo 5 out of 5 used. Use other rows for each option and use the output from the first row to actually do the roll - ignore the name of the character in this case...I used a very old copy of the starter set pregen fighter i created a while ago and it's a bit long :) The !! is just to keep it at the top of my character list thats all
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
I've made a quick ninja edit to highlight the point regarding not being able to use data that has line breaks in them since it seems to be the first thing i'm hearing about :)
Ok, I will try that Actoba. Thanks. What do you think about action surges or second winds. When I run the macro, how do I automatically reduce the number or is it again manual. I don't mind manual. H
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
You can't change an attribute from a macro...you need API scripting for that
Right, understood. Thanks again, this will work.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Actoba - your roll templates are awesome - especially for spells. Well done.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
I would advise instead of making a unique NPC section - create a MONSTER section. Have a similiar stat blocks for monsters (found in the Monster's Manual) and have them autopopulate the fields that are character base. Attacks - should be attacks whether it is a monster or PC or NPC. I did this with Star Frontiers and it works perfect. PM me if you want to talk more about this but I think it would save you from a lot of work and make it better for GMs.
Do we need to activate these to take effect? I'm at work but told my players to go update their sheets and one of them told me he can see the code but I need to activate it?
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
If your campaign was using the default 5e sheet before the update...it's using the new version of it right now. You dont need to do anything. If you had customised the sheet and were using a custom version of it before the update then you will need to login and update your custom sheet. The default sheet that's live right now will have a last update date of 9th March 2015. This can be found at the top of every sheet regardless of which section of the sheet is being viewed
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Black Falcon said: I would advise instead of making a unique NPC section - create a MONSTER section. Have a similiar stat blocks for monsters (found in the Monster's Manual) and have them autopopulate the fields that are character base. Attacks - should be attacks whether it is a monster or PC or NPC. I did this with Star Frontiers and it works perfect. PM me if you want to talk more about this but I think it would save you from a lot of work and make it better for GMs. The sheet already has an NPC section thats designed to be used for both NPC's and monsters. It has, and continues to be, a very quickly built and unpolished experience when compared to the player sections of the sheet mostly due to the fact that with limited time available the player sheet is always likely to take priority as my expectation is that the GM's/DM's should have enough knowledge of the system and platform to get by with less help. Thats not to say it isnt useful even in its current form...but it's far from perfect. I have plans in place for how i'm going to update it to make it much better and it is moving up nearer the top of the todo list for the sheet but it isnt quite at the top yet. The player sheet could do with a few more options in some sections to leverage the roll template system a bit more....then if I have time we'll see :) For now the NPC sections of the sheet are provided "as is"...it's by no means a finished product despite it still being useful for some.
Hi there! First off, this is awesome and looks amazing. I seem to run into a problem however so hopefully someone can help! I entered [[2d6]] damage plus [[2d6]] if a crit for my rouge to test the system as the suggested example above. This works beautifully when I click that use button on the class action page. When I have this linked to a weapon attack however, it spits out the following: "SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but "]" found." Suggestions?
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
What have you got filled in on the weapon row? Does it work without the addition of the class action line? Have you filled in the new crit damage field (it could be that you crit on your test roll and that field wasnt filled in yet which might have caused the weapon row to break)
Crit fields are currently blank, but no matter what I row I get this error - but weapon attacks on their own work amazing. Also, if I leave my class action as just text,it works fine on the weapon roll.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Post a screenshot of your weapon and class action sections please
Actoba, thanks a lot for all the work you did on this! It looks awesome!
Weapons Class Action

Edited 1426022973
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@MegnaGaming - The problem is the blank crit damage field on the weapon. You need to fill this in. By default, assuming a mundane weapon with no other racial or other boosts to your crit damage, you should set this to match the damage dice field. Then the macro will work fine. I might look at auto filling these with a 0 by default to prevent this problem.....regardless, players will need to update this for each weapon row they are using. Remember that crit damage is now only shown when an attack roll actually crits
Great, thanks for explaining!
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
First update to the new release will be one to add an option to the NPC sheet that will allow NPC sheet rolls to be made publicly should you want to - <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1420775/#post-1697245" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1420775/#post-1697245</a>
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Query: I am attempting to make a macro that is simply an emote followed by invoking the roll button for a weapon. The old 'MeleeAttack1' doesn't work, and I took a guess that maybe 'melee1' would work, and that didn't either. So how do I do this?
GenKitty said: Query: I am attempting to make a macro that is simply an emote followed by invoking the roll button for a weapon. The old 'MeleeAttack1' doesn't work, and I took a guess that maybe 'melee1' would work, and that didn't either. So how do I do this? MeleeAttack1 still works for me, is the macro %{CharacterName|MeleeAttack1} ?
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Something like the following in a macro window should work fine fine....you shouldnt need the character name if this is a token action. /em is testing this macro %{CharacterName|MeleeAttack1}

Edited 1426029254
This is a great update. I miss the old Class Resource section since I was using it to keep track of my Monk's Ki points, but overall the changes are great. I'll get used to tracking them in the new section soon enough. I did notice that when viewing the sheet in the popout window, the new Class Actions output sections are quite large. They seem to be around 1000px in height or more. I wasn't sure if this was a sheet issue, or just something with the new pop-outs. -- Edit I'm using Chrome Version 40.0.2214.111 (64-bit) on linux. When I "inspect element" on the "output" box, it's showing the height to be 1016px. and appears to be controlled by this style: .charsheet .sheet-fluid-textarea { height: 100% }

Edited 1426158892
Actoba what you did is just fantastic. Thank you so much for character sheet update!

Edited 1426029376
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@John A - Yeah i noticed that late on in testing too but havent had a chance to look at what's causing it though (mentioned in original post, last paragraph before the changelog listing). Will take a look when i get a chance....the row shouldnt be that large

Edited 1426032004
Actoba - any chance you could add separate weapon lines (like Weapon 1, Weapon 2 etc. - so 6 melee and 6 ranged weapons) for output options? Right now we only have options for all ranged weapons and all melee weapons.
Is there a way to cast a spell from the spellbook as a token action? The cast spell button is great, but I don't want to have to open my spell book for every spell.
Thank you for your great work Actoba.
Love the new output. Since my players put in full spell descriptions in the description field the output get rather long since we can't break it into paragraphs. Also the Effects output seems a offset a little odd. My only want would be for weapons. I'd like a spot to input the ranges and also all the weapon attributes (i.e. light, heavy, versatile etc.) Right now I just tack this on to the damage type so it outputs.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Yeah, MeleeAttack1 works just fine now. I wonder why my macro wasn't working earlier :P Anyway, thanks. The new rolls look very nice, certainly more attractive than raw macros. I'll be sticking to powercards where I can, but in games where the GMs don't want to deal with scripts, this is a great alternative.
In the weapon section, it would be nice to be able to select an attribute other than Str as the attack/damage. For a Monk character, I'm using finesse for this purpose, but it's not really accurate and if a class uses something other than dex or str, it's not possible to do.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Some replies to the feedback are below...keep it coming.... @spellsword - Possibly, but if you want to add something to just 1 weapon i'm more likely to add options for that to the weapon section itself instead of providing multiple options for it on the class page. @Ed S - No, this is a limitation of the repeating sections used for the spellbook. You may wish to add your vote/comments to this suggestion thread - <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240016/#post-12" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240016/#post-12</a>... @Eddie G - This has been requested by others and I'll definately be look at adding in other options for weapons in a future update. I'm not sure what you meant when you said that using the finesse option wasnt really accurate.....right now that will use the higher of your strength or dexterity mod as appropriate. Are you having problems using it? -- And a few general points that should be highlighted because they keep coming up - No multi-line output. This is a limitation of the new roll template system and there is no workaround for this at present....you simply cannot have multiline data in a field that is then used for output by a macro. NPC sheet output currently all goes to the GM in a whisper. The workaround people used with the previous sheet version to allow the output to be sent to public chat will not work. An update to the NPC sheet has been submitted that will provide an option at the top of the NPC sheet to allow for it's macro output to be sent privately to the G (default option) or be sent publicly. This should go live very soon. Staying with the NPC sheet - Overall, it was a very hastily put together addition to the sheet and is lagging behind in terms of updates and features. There are longer term plans for a significant overhaul of the NPC section of the sheet.
Hi and thanks for your hard work Actoba, it is really appreciated! One question regarding the new update: Is it possible to use the roll templates you have created for your sheet using a custom-made macro, rather than using the roll buttons in place, or is it a mentor feature (or neither)? So far I can only seem to make the "default" template (&{template:default}) work. PS: Thumbs up for the crit damage enhancements!
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
You can use the 5e default template in your own macros but i havent had time to document it yet...and i've no doubt there will be tweaks/updates to the template as people come up with ways they'd like to use them. As an example, below is what is sent when you click the first melee attack button on the sheet. If you want to start tinkering that might be a good place to start though remamber that if you want to add new fields they will only be output if the template supports it. &{template:5eDefault} {{weapon=1}} {{title=@{CharacterName|meleeweaponname1}}} {{subheader=@{CharacterName|character_name}}} {{subheaderright=Melee attack}} {{attack=[[1d20cs&gt;@{CharacterName|meleeweaponcritrange1} + @{CharacterName|meleetohit1} + (@{CharacterName|global_melee_attack_bonus}) ]]}} {{attackadv=[[1d20cs&gt;@{CharacterName|meleeweaponcritrange1} + @{CharacterName|meleetohit1} + (@{CharacterName|global_melee_attack_bonus}) ]]}} {{damage=[[@{CharacterName|meleedmg1} + @{CharacterName|meleedmgbonus1} + (@{CharacterName|global_melee_damage_bonus}) + 0d0]] @{CharacterName|meleedmgtype1}}} {{critdamage=Additional [[@{CharacterName|meleecritdmg1}]] damage}} @{CharacterName|classactionmeleeweapon}} If you add the following anywhere after the &{template:5eDefault} it will spit out all the key value pairs that were sent as well as what the normal output would have been - {{debug=1}}

Edited 1426097036
@Actoba, thanks that roll template macro works awesome, I can subtlety adjust it for what ever I want. Where can I find the code for the spell template? I think that would fix my repeating spellbook section woes.
I would love to see the ability to use a target in the built in macros. right now, I am just editing the built in ones as Abilities. I like using targets because it prevents players from saying who they want to attack after they see if they might hit.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
You can get the code sent for any macro by simply clicking it (so it displays it's output, and then clcik into the normal chat box and press the up arrow on your keyboard. For things that have custom elements that can be toggled on or off expect to see a lot of 0's in the output. These are in place when you have NOT selected an option and are ignored by the roll template so if you are making custom ones from the sheet examples you can feel free to remove anything that isnt within a bracketed block {{like this}} or an attribute @{like_this} I have no plans to add target or any other roll queries to the default macros in the sheet. I personally dont use them and feel like they slow down the game significantly and much prefer no prompting at all when clicking a macro button,,,,as that is the point of creating macros to speed things up. If there were options that let macros adjust attributes like say reduce HP or something like that (without API scripting) then i would be prepared to revisit this, but for now there is zero chance of me adding roll queries/target features to the default sheet output. Of course others people have differing opinions and some have created customised versions of the sheets with extra features like this baked in to their own tastes. One of my players has actually gone and totally re-written his spell book so each spell prompts him for a spell level and rolls the correct damage/healing.....and the sheet supports that right now if you want it.
FYI, I want it ;) Thanks again Actoba, this is all very cool, and makes my players experience so much better.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
By way of an example...here's what my Bard player has set up for healing Word (I have expanded the options so you can see how he has chosen to set it up - And the output it generates (after prompting for a spell level to be input with a default of 1) is

Edited 1426119285
Spren
Sheet Author
Any chance we can get the spellsavesuccess to be spellsaveeffect or something of that nature? I'm finding that sometimes the success is nothing or no effect. I can just put the failure result in that spot, but then it seems odd because it'll say something like "Save Success : Paralyzed for 1 minute on Failure". I know there are workarounds and stuff, but it seems like a simple enough change that I thought I'd ask.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@Saitama - The intended use is that the effect field is used for any spells that either just have an effect (like Hold person for example) or for those that have an effect in addition to the damage it does (like shocking grasp). The save success field will indeed most commonly just be a simple "No effect" or possibly "Half damage (no additional effect)" or something similar
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
I've received feedback from a number of people indicating that they found it useful to track resource usage in the class resources section, particularly for those resources which may have several options for using it up (like fighter superiority dice or Monks Ki, or channel divinity for example). Obviously the resource tracking on the individual rows in the new class action section are less useful for tracking things like this. As such, after some consideration, it is likely that the class resources section will be kept in the sheet after all to allow players to use either the resource tracking on the new class action row itself (where appropriate) or to continue to use the class resource repeating section (to the right of the class levels) should that be more useful. In the next update (not yet planned) I will remove the note that indicates that section is deprecated and it will remain in the sheet for the foreseeable future. This has no impact on the older class action section which will still be removed at a later date as it has been completely replaced. This removal is likely to happen with an update at some point in early May so players essentially have 6 weeks to make sure data is transferred from that old section into the new class action section before it is removed.
Spren
Sheet Author
That's one of the workarounds I mentioned that I had considered. It's just a personal gripe that I would prefer it another way. I would ask then is it possible to have the Effect appear above the Save Success? Right now the order from top to bottom is Attack-Save-Healing-Damage-Save Success-Effect. I'd love a swap there, that'd also fix it for me. Again, if it's a complicated fix than never mind. I only ask because it seems small.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes thats absolutely possible...and indeed that was the intended display order. Will fix in next update.
Spren
Sheet Author
That's awesome to hear, thank you Sir!