Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Update 9/22: Jukebox Playlists, Tabletop Audio, PayPal, Macro Renaming, Tutorial, and more!

I've added an additional button, at the very bottom of the Jukebox (next to the SoundCloud logo), that says "Sort Tracks A-Z". Clicking on this will sort all tracks and playlists at the root-level (those not inside of a playlist) in alphabetical order. Those of you (e.g. Gold, Von Castor, etc.) who had everything all set up already alphabetically can use this to restore that order.
Wow, didn't expect a change so fast. Great job and many thanks, you've just made me save a huge amount of time. :)
Gold
Forum Champion
Riley D. said: I've added an additional button, at the very bottom of the Jukebox (next to the SoundCloud logo), that says "Sort Tracks A-Z". Clicking on this will sort all tracks and playlists at the root-level (those not inside of a playlist) in alphabetical order. Those of you (e.g. Gold, Von Castor, etc.) who had everything all set up already alphabetically can use this to restore that order. Eureka, it worked! Now I will sort my Jukebox into the new Playlists. Really cool. Thank you for the fast response.
So I really love the Jukebox changes and set up the page to automatically launch a soundtrack but when it is already playing a soundtrack, it doesn't stop that track and ends up playing both. Is there something I'm missing?
PayPal More ways to pay is always a good thing – provided old ways don’t vanish. Thanks for providing more options! Tutorial Hmmm okay.. I was just looking and don’t see this – how do we access? Jukebox Playlists This is actually what prompted me to come onto the forums Today, and of course immediately get side tracked lol… but now that I found this thread yeah… sooo Jukebox Playlists and how it works… I am LOVING it already. I saw the changes in the system while I was working on adjusting a few npc’s…. and it totally got me excited about sounds again! Most important bit to me is the ability to organize them! But also having a shuffle feature, I will be looking into more and more how to use the new jukebox tools but some of them are like organizing were just so easy and felt so right! THANKS! Now Playing Widget Does this also give the players ability to pause/stop some of what’s playing while letting other bits continue? For example, some players might like to listen to the ambient sounds but not the music. Pages Can Trigger Jukebox Tracks/Playlists Oooh, more toys to play with! Tabletop Audio Integration YES! Can I hug you! LOL API Jukebox Support I don’t use the API stuff yet, or at least I don’t think I do… from my understanding that’s for the Pro customers, still, sounds gool at least. Macro Buttons More options, again this is a good thing.. so thanks! Token Action Ordering I see a lot of negative responses on this on – though I’m sure people appreciate what you tried to do here. I am just now getting involved in this system so it’s not something that personally affects me.. Though I wish you luck in getting it to the point most everyone is happy again… sounds like you have something going with the drag and drop option in planning. I do see that you set up a setting to select Alphabetically sort or to disable so amen for trying to fix the problem! Thanks for fixing something I never knew was broke till I saw forums :D Player Tokens Will this be something GMs can turn off if they choose to do so? I don’t for see it becoming a *huge* problem in my campaign but I can see players using it for pranks. Is there a way a GM can limit how many tokens a player can generate as well? The increased file size of the game; will that be on the Creator or will the players have a data size limit for this? Aside from those questions… I reiterate.. More choices, options, and happy rainbows now! API Token Bugfix Again I don’t really use AP but think the idea is cool. Misc Fixes Hopefully people won’t have to kick players and malcontents out too often but it is good that is thought of… and awesome that problems are being resolved.
Scaby79
Sheet Author
API Scripter
First of all, thanks a lot for this update ! I'm very excited about the new possibilites of the new update, especially regarding the jukebox and "most especially" about the possibility to assign a track to a page. But I have observed that tracks played that way are remaining in the now playing section even if they have already ended and when the next track is triggered that way ALL tracks that are still in the now playing section are playing all at once. So if you move from page to page during a game without constantly deleting tracks from the now playing section each time you are moving the players to a new page you are listening to all tracks of all pages you've been to before all at once. Is that intended or is it a bug. And if it is intended, is there a way to make sure the now playing section is emptied before the track assigned to the page is triggered?
Scaby79
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Doug E. said: So I really love the Jukebox changes and set up the page to automatically launch a soundtrack but when it is already playing a soundtrack, it doesn't stop that track and ends up playing both. Is there something I'm missing? Yes, that's what I meant!  Hope there is a fix or workaround!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Dinean said: Tutorial Hmmm okay.. I was just looking and don’t see this – how do we access? Riley D. said: To start it, just select the "Tutorial" icon from the Games menu along the top of the page. Dinean said: Player Tokens I don’t for see it becoming a *huge* problem in my campaign but I can see players using it for pranks. Would you mind elaborating on your concerns?

Edited 1443189986
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Scaby79 said: Doug E. said: So I really love the Jukebox changes and set up the page to automatically launch a soundtrack but when it is already playing a soundtrack, it doesn't stop that track and ends up playing both. Is there something I'm missing? Yes, that's what I meant!  Hope there is a fix or workaround! We have a fix for this deployed to Dev currently. It needs some testing so it may be a bit before it's on Main but it will come eventually. EDIT: This fix is now live on Main as well as Dev.
Awesome, thanks. I have yet to play around with the new features.
Thank you for the option on Token Macros!
This update is so awesome!  Thank you!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Dinean said: Tutorial Hmmm okay.. I was just looking and don’t see this – how do we access? It's under the Games menu at the top:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/tutorial/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/tutorial/</a>

Edited 1443160682
Riley D. said: We've just pushed out an update which adds a new Setting to the My Settings tab called "Alphabetically sort Token Actions."&nbsp; Riley D. said: In addition, I've fixed the bug that Greysion mentioned regarding default tokens always going to their original layer rather than the layer onto which they are dragged. I love you guys so much. Just in time for last minute prep for Saturday and Sunday! Thanks! Edit: &nbsp;Here's what my Token Macros look with Alphabetical And without You have my thanks once more for fixing this so quickly!
Maybe I'm missing something here. Perhaps someone can help. Is it possible to drop track on to a Non-expanded playlist? If this is a feature, for the love of the old gods, someone please help me! If not, please Devs, make this a reality. &nbsp;
Scaby79
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Scaby79 said: Doug E. said: So I really love the Jukebox changes and set up the page to automatically launch a soundtrack but when it is already playing a soundtrack, it doesn't stop that track and ends up playing both. Is there something I'm missing? Yes, that's what I meant!&nbsp; Hope there is a fix or workaround! We have a fix for this deployed to Dev currently. It needs some testing so it may be a bit before it's on Main but it will come eventually. thx a lot! ;)
Silvyre said: Dinean said: Player Tokens I don’t for see it becoming a *huge* problem in my campaign but I can see players using it for pranks. Would you mind elaborating on your concerns? Sure - In the past I have seen players take powers that are given to them in such games similar to this, when given the ability to drop things into a module... and absolutely run with it... &nbsp;And I can foresee that causing problems if a GM has no ability to prevent them from doing so... Here are Example... Player, trying to be helpful, creates a token(s) and is asked to remove the token.. Player uses mouse to drag over tokens and accidentally deletes necessary tokens in the process. Gm: now has to find the loss tokens? Example 2: Player: Generates a thousand tokens "cause I can" bogging down the system.. and making the map cluttered to the point the other players and the gm can not find the tokens that are actually part of the game. GM: Tries to delete the mess.. in doing so - the preparations for the event which were on the token layer get destroyed too.. now has to rebuild everything. Obviously if this were to happen the recourse would likely end up with the player being kicked from that GM's game.. but damage already done... This is the concern.

Edited 1443186127
Awesome sauce!! Thanks a ton!!! Now get them to add in music uploading ability so we don't have to depend on streaming what other sights have and add what ever we want! ^-^ just a thought.
We've just pushed out another quick update that does the following: Fixes the bug where if you played a non-looped track, and that track ended, if you then played another track the first track would start playing again. Non-looped tracks will now "auto-stop" themselves when they reach the end of the track. Note: In order to do the above, we had to add an additional property called "softstop" to the jukeboxtrack object, which is now also available via the API. So in order to play a track, you should set "playing" to "true" and "softstop" to "false" . If either playing is false or softstop is true, then the track will not play. We've also adjusted the behavior of how the "Play on Load" works in the Page Settings dialog. Now when a page is loaded that has a Play on Load set (to a track or a playlist), all other Jukebox tracks currently playing will be stopped before playing the new track. If you leave it at the default of "None", then the Jukebox will be left alone when switching to the page (any playing tracks will continue to play). There's also a new option called "None, But Stop All Tracks" which will not start any new music, but will stop all existing tracks when the page is loaded. Thanks!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Very awesome! &nbsp;I'm super impressed by how rapidly this feature is being enhanced!

Edited 1443190988
I love the enhancements, I even liked the alphabetical token actions, but I wanted to make a request on the jukebox. In a playlist could we have a way to keep one track playing continuously while it cycles through the other tracks in the playlist? I have a playlist of combat music, but I want to play the battle sounds in conjunction with that and it's not currently possible. Either way thanks for the new features, you guys rock!

Edited 1443192864
Ed S. said: In a playlist could we have a way to keep one track playing continuously while it cycles through the other tracks in the playlist? I have a playlist of combat music, but I want to play the battle sounds in conjunction with that and it's not currently possible. I don't know if this is the way you want it to work but I'll let you know what I've already done... &nbsp;I've made a play list for combat 'music' which I can run in loop ect.. but I also made a separate list I called "Ambient Sounds" in which I put the fighting sounds, cries of panicked townsfolk, and sounds of horse hoofs ect.. which I expand that list and select the ones I want to play individually rather than playing the entire list, then I go and play the music by the music's play list rather than individually. I also set up seperate play lists for different types of music - before combat, after combat, traveling, general rp, and "Special events".. and of course the comic releif one "Break music". &nbsp;That one I have Mario and Zelda music playing in and use this for when we go on 'intermission'
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Dinean said: Example... Player, trying to be helpful, creates a token(s) and is asked to remove the token.. Player uses mouse to drag over tokens and accidentally deletes necessary tokens in the process. Gm: now has to find the loss tokens? Fortunately, players are able to restore any tokens that they have the power to remove. Dinean said: Example 2: Player: Generates a thousand tokens "cause I can" bogging down the system.. and making the map cluttered to the point the other players and the gm can not find the tokens that are actually part of the game. GM: Tries to delete the mess.. in doing so - the preparations for the event which were on the token layer get destroyed too.. now has to rebuild everything. As above, the player responsible is able to quickly rectify this situation by pressing Ctrl+A to select all objects in their control and then pressing the backspace/delete key to remove them. Otherwise, a gm could fairly quickly add themselves to a few Can Be Edited & Controlled By lists, join the game as a player, and then delete the bulk of the spam with the above technique.

Edited 1443196640
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
To put the arguing about the possibility of "breaking things" as a player to rest: 1) We design for the 99% of the time that your players aren't going to be completely mal-intentioned and intent on destroying your game. We will protect you (via our security rules) from for example a bad player joining from an LFG post and deleting your entire campaign or something like that, but if a player wants to find ways to annoy the GM they can, and the GM can easily remove that player from the game by kicking them (which, I will point out, now results in the immediate removal of the player from the game). It's inherent in the nature of a shared space like a tabletop that it's impossible to prevent a player from finding some way to "break things", and it's not really worth us trying to micro-manage every interaction to prevent it. 2) There were already many ways a player could do everything you are describing. Putting tons of chat messages in the chat. Drawing all over the board. And perhaps most relevant, they could already drag and drop the Bio picture of any Character they controlled onto the tabletop to spawn a token, so this isn't even a "new" avenue for potential abuse, it already existed. The bottom line is that it's a balance, for sure, but this in no way tips the balance in a way it wasn't tipped before, and honestly it's not worth debating the "absolute worst case scenario" here as GMs have complete control over the ability to invite, kick, and restrict what a player can or cannot do. If you give someone a permission and they abuse it, revoke it. Please consider discussion of that topic closed.
We just pushed out a small update to the API which adds the "loop" and "volume" properties to the Jukebox tracks. The API documentation has been updated accordingly.
Scaby79
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Very awesome! &nbsp;I'm super impressed by how rapidly this feature is being enhanced! Yeah, me too!&nbsp; Thank you very much, Riley!

Edited 1443199089
Dinean said: Ed S. said: In a playlist could we have a way to keep one track playing continuously while it cycles through the other tracks in the playlist? I have a playlist of combat music, but I want to play the battle sounds in conjunction with that and it's not currently possible. I don't know if this is the way you want it to work but I'll let you know what I've already done... &nbsp;I've made a play list for combat 'music' which I can run in loop ect.. but I also made a separate list I called "Ambient Sounds" in which I put the fighting sounds, cries of panicked townsfolk, and sounds of horse hoofs ect.. which I expand that list and select the ones I want to play individually rather than playing the entire list, then I go and play the music by the music's play list rather than individually. I also set up seperate play lists for different types of music - before combat, after combat, traveling, general rp, and "Special events".. and of course the comic releif one "Break music". &nbsp;That one I have Mario and Zelda music playing in and use this for when we go on 'intermission' That will probably work, I didn't think of nesting the playlists. Thanks! EDIT:&nbsp; You can't nest playlists, which reading it again now, you didn't suggest. Anyway, I could always do it the old, way, but I wanted to cycle though the music and keep the sounds going without having to do it manually.
Gold
Forum Champion
Dinean said: Ed S. said: I have a playlist of combat music, but I want to play the battle sounds in conjunction with that and it's not currently possible. I don't know if this is the way you want it to work but I'll let you know what I've already done... &nbsp;I've made a play list for combat 'music' which I can run in loop ect.. but I also made a separate list I called "Ambient Sounds" in which I put the fighting sounds, cries of panicked townsfolk, and sounds of horse hoofs ect.. which I expand that list and select the ones I want to play individually rather than playing the entire list, then I go and play the music by the music's play list rather than individually. I also set up seperate play lists for different types of music - before combat, after combat, traveling, general rp, and "Special events".. and of course the comic releif one "Break music". &nbsp;That one I have Mario and Zelda music playing in and use this for when we go on 'intermission' This approach is great for Playlists! Really like your "Ambient sounds" (playlist of individual tracks that can be looped in background while a different playlist of music/songs is playing consecutively), as well as Break music, Before combat, After combat, Traveling, playlist ideas. I will rethink my Playlist plans now, based on Dinean's advice. Just wanted to reply here and highlight that advice for others.

Edited 1443269926
Actually it stopped working the way I was doing it - so not sure what all to do now.. not sure if it stopped because of a bug or if it stopped because it glitched to let me do it in the first place... but what I do know is now if I hit my ambient sounds then hit a play list.. the play list turns off my ambient sounds... &nbsp;Trying to find another work around. Edit: Tried pulling the ambient sounds out of their play list so they are separate.. that did not work. Also attempted having the ambient sounds within the music play list, playing the ambient sound then starting the play list.. kicks off the ambient sound there too... tried starting the ambient sound after the play list, turns off the rest of the play list... Tried playing individual tracks at the same time - only time I am able to get this to work is if they are in the same play list.
Paypal!? For subscriptions!? OH GOD - FINALLY! *starts crying* Here is my money, roll20..... its a bit salty, but the sweet kind of tear salt.....
Alex C.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
This is likely a silly question, but I currently have a Pro account that I pay via credit card. How do I switch the payment method to Paypal? I don't see any way to switch payment types on my Account page.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Alex C., for financial/account questions, please email <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>

Edited 1443405358
Is there no way we can play two playlists at once? Or am I just missing something? This makes it very difficult (impossible) if I want to play a single ambient weather track with a playlist of music, for example. PS: The Jukebox changes are awesome! Thanks so much for being your brilliant 'selves R20 Devs and Mods (:
Would it be possible to make it so players can set up their tokens, in addition to just dragging them out? That way if their character has something finiky going on (like using a bar for a unique resource) or if they want to change what their token looks like (maybe they got a new upgrade and they want that reflected in their appearance) they can do it themselves, rather than having to bug the GM?
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
I love all the new features, the rapid responses, bug fixes, and your general existence as a damn fine human being. Well done on all of these things.
I am a great fan of the new jukebox functions! Now there isn't much left to make every GM happy. Let me make some suggestions: I made a playlist with a soundscape full of single sounds typical for a wood (maybe five different sounds). Now I want to have this soundscape within other campaigns. It would be very cool to import the complete playlist via transmogrifier instead of the five single soundfiles. Some soundfiles could be useful in different playlists. It would be helpful if I could duplicate a soundfile within my campaign to add them to another playlist. (I know that it's possible to import it twice and rename it to the same name, but a little +button would it make easier)
I really like the new functions! Especially the new jukebox features. But there is one thing I'd really love to be added (if possible). Currently I'm building ambient backgrounds by creating playlists for different situations (dungeon, cave, etc) and putting fitting sounds into those lists. I set the sounds to loop and the list to play all sounds together. This works like a charm. Additionally to that I would like to play some effect-sounds (monster-roaring, sword-drawing, battlecry, etc.). Since I don't want to play those effects the whole time, but only when I manually trigger them, I have to put them somewhere outside of the ambient playlists. But now, whenever I play one of those effect-sounds, the already playing playlist stops and my ambient is gone and has to be restarted (not so nice). Therefore I'd like to make the following suggestion: Please build in an option to flag a sound as "effect" or something like that. Sounds marked that way should only be played once (so the effect marker could replace the loop option if activated) and would never stop other sounds already playing. With that it would be possible to just collect effects in separate playlists, have an ambient playlist (or just some music or whatever) play as background and play sounds marked as "effects" without interfering with the ambient sound.
For some reason I can not figure out how to add a track to a playlist, I even looked at the tutorial which did not help me with the issue at all. Note I did try to drag the track and drop it, it just fell either above or below the playlist.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Arlondale Sotari said: For some reason I can not figure out how to add a track to a playlist, I even looked at the tutorial which did not help me with the issue at all. Note I did try to drag the track and drop it, it just fell either above or below the playlist. Does this help? Make sure you +Add a Playlist(folder). Use the "grab bar/handle" to move tracks and playlists around. Grabbing an item and moving it directly under and to the right of a Playlist seems to be the key technique. Cheers
Vince said: Arlondale Sotari said: For some reason I can not figure out how to add a track to a playlist, I even looked at the tutorial which did not help me with the issue at all. Note I did try to drag the track and drop it, it just fell either above or below the playlist. Does this help? Make sure you +Add a Playlist(folder). Use the "grab bar/handle" to move tracks and playlists around. Grabbing an item and moving it directly under and to the right of a Playlist seems to be the key technique. Cheers Ah! Perfect! Thank you so much sir.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Glad to help. &nbsp;Have fun.

Edited 1446181263
Daniel Weiers said: I really like the new functions! Especially the new jukebox features. But there is one thing I'd really love to be added (if possible). Currently I'm building ambient backgrounds by creating playlists for different situations (dungeon, cave, etc) and putting fitting sounds into those lists. I set the sounds to loop and the list to play all sounds together. This works like a charm. Additionally to that I would like to play some effect-sounds (monster-roaring, sword-drawing, battlecry, etc.). Since I don't want to play those effects the whole time, but only when I manually trigger them, I have to put them somewhere outside of the ambient playlists. But now, whenever I play one of those effect-sounds, the already playing playlist stops and my ambient is gone and has to be restarted (not so nice). Therefore I'd like to make the following suggestion: Please build in an option to flag a sound as "effect" or something like that. Sounds marked that way should only be played once (so the effect marker could replace the loop option if activated) and would never stop other sounds already playing. With that it would be possible to just collect effects in separate playlists, have an ambient playlist (or just some music or whatever) play as background and play sounds marked as "effects" without interfering with the ambient sound. You took the words right out of my mouth. I love the new improvements of the Jukebox, but I have the same issue as you. I have lots of background music and ambient sounds that play on loops that I build into playlists that auto-play when I put players on certain pages. And there are roars, explosions etc that I would want to play once without interrupting the background sounds and music. This would be a very welcome addition. Even if it was a check box in the settings to allow for tracks to not stop the 'play on load' audio. Another suggestion along the same lines would be for a way to duplicate or copy tracks to have in more than one play list at a time without having to track down the audio file again to add a duplicate, I find myself moving files between playlists to build what Im looking for and there always seems to be a shared track that I want between many playlists. And the final thought would be&nbsp;to also allow for multiple selections to be made on the&nbsp;'play on load' setting page (maybe check boxes), This would really make it easy to not have to build new play lists for every page you want the players on, and instead just select the tracks you want, and go.&nbsp; The update is leaps and bounds past what was already great. Thanks for all of your work
I really like the Jukebox additions! Thank you. Very handy. I was wishing for these modifications.
Nice update!