Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LF 3-5 Players [D&D 5E] Homeberw PbP

Edited 1455830315
Hello! I'm looking to start up a new 5E D&D game and I'm testing the waters to see who would be interested in a Play by Post campaign. -A Play by Post or (PbP) if you are not familiar, is a text based ongoing game where the players and gm log on once to several times a day to read what is going on and post what there character does and says. by the nature of this, it is a slow going process moving a story along. however logging on once to a few times a day, every day, adds up quickly. It would be heavily RP and Character driven, and require players to be very active and responsive about what there character does and says. (my character attacks the thing with a sword and yells "die!") OR (my character doesn't have anything to say, he stands in the back and smokes his pipe) is NOT acceptable RP. Besides the ongoing PbP, id also like to get together once or twice a month for a 3-5 hour session. After all what is D&D without some good ol fashion dungeon crawling? My Schedule is hectic and ever changing, making a set 3-5 hour session weekly, impossible for me. However with advanced notice i can easily plan a day a week or 2 weeks out for live sessions, and easily log on several times a day for the PbP. Actual days and amount of times will depend on everyone's schedules and what we can agree on.  As a GM- I've been playing/GMing TTRPGs for about 8 years. My game themes tend to be on the Darker and more Gritty side, so if gore, death, and generally morbid things bother you, this isn't for you. My campaigns are usually open-world/sandbox style, and are usually pretty difficult. My players will have to really think and strategize and understand that not all obstacles can be dealt with brute force, and sometimes running away is the best option, or you wont last very long. I am very loose with the rules and will more often than not ignore or change a rule if it makes the game more fun.  For the Players- At least Some experience with TTRPGS is required (some exceptions) NO rule lawyers, i really don't want to hear how well you are able to recite the rules from the book. I change rules, ignore some, and create new ones all the time(i will tell you if i do) but interrupting game play to point some arbitrary rule will not be tolerated. If i do not know a rule, ill ask if anyone does.  Power Gaming* Its okay to want your character to be really good at something, just don't let that make your character so one sided they are useless in all other facets, its boring.I often change/alter or add Monster statistics to keep things fresh. so knowing what everything is weak against and its abilities wont help you much.  No Grammar Nazis. Seriously bro, its not cool. This game will be Heavily character driven, so well flushed out character personalities/goals/backgrounds is a must. its all about character and story development. Be able to have a great time, make jokes, laugh, but be serious when its needed. So are you ready to create\meet dynamic and in-depth Characters, Delve into exciting and dangerous places in a Open-World style Homebrew settling? if you have any questions that i have not already answered in the above post, please ask away! I am sure this game wont be for everyone but i'm hoping to find a few like minded individuals looking for something like this. * The Winds howl through the sails, creating a loud eerie moan. That combined with the sound of the waves crashing against the haul of the boat make it impossible to get any real rest. You wonder to the upper deck as you have most nights to get some fresh air. It appears you are not the only one who couldn't sleep. many other passengers and crewmen are wondering about as well, most you recognize by now. You think back to how long its been since you last made port. "5 no at least 6 months." you say to yourself, not truly believing it until you said it aloud.  As you let your mind drift off, thinking about why you left in the first place and how you spent every last copper you had to get on this ship, you are greeted with a splash of icy sea water to your face as you open the door to the upper deck. If you were not awake before, you defiantly are now. It's the middle of the night, but the deck is illuminated by the bright flashes of lightning above. Streaks of blue, yellow and a green dart through the blackened clouds, creating an almost mosaic pattern on the ship below. You look out across the Black Sea, swearing you can see shapes and shadows of monstrosities beneath the black waters with each flash of lighting. you shake your head, purging those thoughts from your mind "what nonsense am i thinking now? there is no such thing. I am starting to sound like the mad captain" you shoot a glance to the helm, seeing the outlined figure of a tall man with a large Black scraggly beard. he has said all sorts of crazy things since we set sail. He talks of Monsters, Magic, and even Dragons! The last of the Dragons died hundreds of years ago, and took all the magic with them, everyone knows this. But he talks of this land as if there are still living Dragons there. He even went as far as to say a Dragon is a ruler of a whole city in Aasmara. Many of the sailors talk about this place, and the wondrous sights to behold. A feeling of excitement fills your chest as you think about the impossible things. Who knows what to believe, perhaps it is only wild tales. Perhaps the tales are real, and this land is magical. They promised you there would be plenty of work once we reached Aasmara, as if you needed any other reason to get as far away as possible. "LAND HO!" your stomach tightens as you hear the captain call out, and in the distance you can faintly make out the twinkling light of a light house. This is it, you have finally made it, and a new chapter and adventure awaits in Aasmara . 
Hello there. I find myself interested in the campaign in potential you have here. I started table top gaming using Play by Post forums. I also find it difficult to get into games nowadays since I work all weekend long every weekend; Play by Post may be the right way for me to go right now. I have a few questions first before I officially say I'd like to join. What is the starting level of the characters? Will stats go by rolls or Point Buy? Your flavor text seems to indicate we will be playing people coming from a land without magic, to a land that does have it. Does that mean characters cannot play magic classes? Will you be enforcing any kind of alignment system? Even though the campaign is Play by Post, will you be using the map system available on Roll20? That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll check back soon to see what you have to say.

Edited 1455832533
James D. Great Questions! Starting level will be 1, and as a group we can decide if we go point buy or array 15, 14, 13, 12 ,10 ,8 And you are correct in your assumption! But magic classes are available to play! -A Wizard could be a scholar who has studied ancient tomes and scrolls of magic for years and now suddenly finds that his incantations work! the spells he has recited over and over are now commanding the elements to do his bidding.  -A Cleric could be just a devout follower or a man of faith who now is able to call on the power of this deity or faith to perform miracles. Its up to you to come up with a reason you develop your abilities. I do NOT play with an Alignment system, an important thing i forgot to mention =] And yes, i will be using maps, visual aids, and portraying combat using Roll20 as well as the character sheet and handouts features.  I have never done a play by post quite this way so it'll be a learning experience for sure. 
Okay! I've never done a point-buy before or starting array, but I'm willing. Those explanations make sense enough to me, so I'm happy to roll with them. I am elated to hear no alignment system. I hate it when players get too concerned with alignment questions. I think I would enjoy your campaign sir, so consider this my formal application to join. Play by Post on Roll20 is a learning experience I'd be happy to have with you.
I'm interested.
Hey Deavon This sounds like a pretty good set up you have here. The only thing I'm concerned about is the gathering together part for general roleplaying/killing baddies etc. I'm from the UK, so GMT time is good for me, and I was just wondering if that would fit in with the group? I wouldn't want to be the annoying party member who can't take part because of the time difference. If you think we'll be okay, I'd be happy to join! I guess I could just test out the waters too to see if it works, but whatever you decide!
I'm sticking with Pint to support my friend in hsi first game he goes then I'm afriad I'll have to leave to.
PMs have been sent
I would be interested in getting involved with your game.  I've enjoyed many years of TTRPG (Yet, I had to google the acronym, hah.), and currently DM two games here on roll20. A PbP seems to be a good fit for me to get some time in as a player.
A PbP could be just what I need to get a bit more player time in. I am currently building a twitch channel which requires me to focus a bit more on the DM side as well as DMing games that are not under the banner of the channel. I've been playing TTRPGs for a bit over a year and fell in love instantly. I enjoy playing tragic or broken characters who have alot of hardship and emotional strain to overcome. I'd love to be part of this!
i have 4 so we sill get started but if there is anyone else i will allow 1 more to join 
I never got a pm.
Bump
I'd like to join in if you've still got room for 1 more. 
Got room? I'm quite interested in this.