Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tokens and multiple maps

Is there some easy way to have all tokens transfer to a new map when I send my players to it, or do I need to make the tokens all over again?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There a few ways to do this. Make a map page that contains your player's minis. This will allow you to select all of them and copy them to the next map. Setup the minis to have the proper numbers or links and then link them to the character sheet. This will allow the players or you to drag the sheet to the map and have the mini appear on the map. There is another way but I can't remember it ( i think there is)
What metro just said. Option #2
Yep, #2: Make a character sheet, fill out attributes (hit points at a bare minimum) Create a token and link it to that character sheet [Represents character:] Set the status bars on it as appropriate (ie: bar 1 is hit points) Keep that token highlighted by clicking on it From the character sheet, link back to the token [default token - use selected token] Now that token's info is saved in the character sheet Every time you go to a new map, drag it from the journal onto the map and it'll be automatically updated just as it was on the previous map (Assuming you've got all the stats available in the character sheet). Roll20 Rocks!
I prefer to use Bar3 as hitpoints since Bar3 is actually in the square the token occupies and helps reduce clutter. I don't use anything in Bar1 or Bar2 that would require tracking different numbers. In D&D 4e, I put the tokens defense in Bar1 and Bar1. For D&D Next, it's token AC and Speed.
Phnord Prephect said: Yep, #2: Make a character sheet, fill out attributes (hit points at a bare minimum) Create a token and link it to that character sheet [Represents character:] Set the status bars on it as appropriate (ie: bar 1 is hit points) Keep that token highlighted by clicking on it From the character sheet, link back to the token [default token - use selected token] Now that token's info is saved in the character sheet Every time you go to a new map, drag it from the journal onto the map and it'll be automatically updated just as it was on the previous map (Assuming you've got all the stats available in the character sheet). Roll20 Rocks! That's what I've been doing. I have the characters saved, but every time I go to a new map I need to place the tokens all over again, and set those tokens to represent the right characters so that my players can control them.. I'm playing Pokemon Tabletop Adventures with 4 players, so I need to drag 4 trainers and 8 pokemon out every time I switch maps, and eventually there will be 6+ pokemon per player.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Masaioh , in that case copy and paste all of the tokens at once. 1a) Select the tokens by moving them near each other and then drag your mouse over the tokens you want to grab. OR 1b) Hold down Shift while clicking each token to select them all. 2) Hit Ctrl+C to copy them while they are selected 3) Go to the next map 4) Click on the map where you want the tokens to appear. 5) Hit Ctrl+V to paste them. - Gauss

Edited 1380832706
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Masaioh said: That's what I've been doing. I have the characters saved, but every time I go to a new map I need to place the tokens all over again, and set those tokens to represent the right characters so that my players can control them.. I'm playing Pokemon Tabletop Adventures with 4 players, so I need to drag 4 trainers and 8 pokemon out every time I switch maps, and eventually there will be 6+ pokemon per player. Sounds like you set the tokens to default prior to setting them up if you have to set each token to represent the correct character. try removing them from the sheet and setting them up by linking the various abilities/attributes to what you need and then making them default. This will let you follow gauss's instructions or mine without having to do anything other than placing them where they need to be at. You can also place the tokens on the maps prior to using the map. This will let you have them already on the map and you just shift them about to where they need to go. I do that if I have a few maps. I get the tokens ready and place them on a spot in the map (usually the top left corner unless I have something there that needs to be hidden) and leave them.
Metroknight said: Masaioh said: That's what I've been doing. I have the characters saved, but every time I go to a new map I need to place the tokens all over again, and set those tokens to represent the right characters so that my players can control them.. I'm playing Pokemon Tabletop Adventures with 4 players, so I need to drag 4 trainers and 8 pokemon out every time I switch maps, and eventually there will be 6+ pokemon per player. Sounds like you set the tokens to default prior to setting them up if you have to set each token to represent the correct character. try removing them from the sheet and setting them up by linking the various abilities/attributes to what you need and then making them default. This will let you follow gauss's instructions or mine without having to do anything other than placing them where they need to be at. You can also place the tokens on the maps prior to using the map. This will let you have them already on the map and you just shift them about to where they need to go. I do that if I have a few maps. I get the tokens ready and place them on a spot in the map (usually the top left corner unless I have something there that needs to be hidden) and leave them. I don't understand this post. How do I make something default?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Masaioh , here is how you use default tokens in the character sheets: 1) Create a character sheet and set it up normally. Assign the sheet to the player(s). 2) Create attributes in the character sheet (important for step 6) and save. 3) Create a token. 4) Set the token permissions (who can edit it, if they can see the name, etc) 5) Set the "Represents" field to the character sheet created in step 1. (Might need to rename the token) 6) Set the bars dropdown menus to the attributes you want the token to have (Hitpoints, Spell points, whatever). 7) Save token 8) Edit character sheet 9) select the token you just edited. 10) Click the 'default token' button on the character sheet. 11) Save sheet. The character sheet has stored the token as the default token for that sheet. You can drag the sheet to the table and it will create a token. Note: If you ever make changes to the token (other than changes to the attribute-linked bars) and want those changes to be represented in the default token you will have to remove the default token and reset it. - Gauss
Gauss said: Masaioh , here is how you use default tokens in the character sheets: 1) Create a character sheet and set it up normally. Assign the sheet to the player(s). 2) Create attributes in the character sheet (important for step 6) and save. 3) Create a token. 4) Set the token permissions (who can edit it, if they can see the name, etc) 5) Set the "Represents" field to the character sheet created in step 1. (Might need to rename the token) 6) Set the bars dropdown menus to the attributes you want the token to have (Hitpoints, Spell points, whatever). 7) Save token 8) Edit character sheet 9) select the token you just edited. 10) Click the 'default token' button on the character sheet. 11) Save sheet. The character sheet has stored the token as the default token for that sheet. You can drag the sheet to the table and it will create a token. Note: If you ever make changes to the token (other than changes to the attribute-linked bars) and want those changes to be represented in the default token you will have to remove the default token and reset it. - Gauss Ah, now I understand. I didn't know that 'default token' recorded more than the token's appearance.
Gauss
Forum Champion
It creates an identical version of the token (including all settings) at the time it was set as the default token. However, the bars will use whatever the current value of the attribute they are set to. - Gauss