Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Updated/Advanced Basic Fantasy Character Sheets

So when push comes to shove the simple fact is that the Basic Fantasy sheets currently available for use in Roll20 are simply outdated. Along with just general sprucing up what is most needed for an update are a way to add/remove rollabe skill boxes, ones that can be renamed to reflect the skills available from the various supplemental material available for play, such as the Assassin's Assassinate skill or the Jester's Catch Object skill. Next up on the "it be cool if" list it be nice if the spell box could be a clickable and allow the adding of spells that could be copy and pasted into chat with a single click, like I see with some of the other "old school" system sheets, perhaps moving them to a separate tab up top to make room. I would honestly put forward my own sheet in hopes it would get published, but sadly I'm not a Pro member, nor will I be for the foreseeable feature, I simple don't have the fiances right now, so if someone with the interest and time to make Basic Fantasy the improved and updated Character Sheet for Roll20 it deserves, I and a lot of Basic Fantasy players would be eternally grateful.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I have rebuilt that sheet for my games and have been attempting to test them out. I sent my WIP code to chris over at the site but have not heard back yet. I'm building it to support the supplements but trying to keep it simple also.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you want to see it, drop me a pm and I will send you an invite to my test board. I could use some feedback as I'm slowly working on it. Trying to make it more rounded and modern than what it is now.
Gold
Forum Champion
I would like to check out your version, Pat. (Same to Jake as well, if there is a way.) I sponsored Chris, the author of Basic Fantasy, to create the first BFRPG sheet that is in Roll20 currently. Afterwards he talked like he was disinterested in virtual tabletops. He kindly completed the bare-bones version of the sheet for us. Sounded like he wouldn't be back to play with it often or for further development so I got the impression that it is in the hands of the community to advance the sheet code.
Well atleast he left the door open for us to step in and pick up the mantle for ourselves.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I have no problem with inviting you gold. I just sent the invite to you. I have no problems with a sheet author or two wanting to poke and suggest code changes as right now it is still very simple sheet and I would like to enhance it a little bit more but not over complicate it.
I'll say. Great work thus far dude! :D
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
my next goal is to put buttons in the repeating sections of weapons and skills then after that, I'm got to figure out how to incorporate the checkmark hide for the turn undead section.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Got tired of beating my head against the wall so I'm swiping another sheet that is similar and reworking the mechanics to reflect the basic fantasy system. I'm giving all the kudos and cheers to the other author as he did all the hardwork while I'm just swapping out the mechanics and changing some of the stuff that is not needed or used.
Kudos to the Kudos god! But seriously big thanks to that guy.

Edited 1474234181
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ok. I'm working on updating (or rewriting) the character sheet but I hit a stumbling block that I'm trying to understand. What I'm trying to do is take the information of amount of skills points and apply them to the skill points available minus the points used in the repeating skill section (bolded areas are what I'm referring to). The problem is that I'm getting nothing (not even a 0) in the skill points available section. I solved part of the problem by just removing the "-@{skill_points_used}" part of the formula to let the skill points show up but still can not get the amount to reduce when a repeating skill is added. Any suggestions or ideas where to look? <div class="sheet-row"> <div class="sheet-col-1-2 sheet-padr"> <h4 class="sheet-center">Secondary or Background Skills </h4> <div class="sheet-row"> <div class="sheet-col-1-2 sheet-small-label sheet-center"><input class="sheet-underlined sheet-center" type="number" name=" attr_skill_points "><br/>Skill points</div>                             <div class="sheet-col-1-2 sheet-small-label sheet-center"><input class="sheet-underlined sheet-center" type="number" name=" attr_skill_points_available " value="@{skill_points}-@{skill_points_used}" disabled=true><br/>Skill Points  Available</div> </div> <div class="sheet-row sheet-sub-header sheet-small-label sheet-center"> <div class="sheet-col-1-2 sheet-padl sheet-padr">Name</div> <div class="sheet-col-1-6">Stat</div> <div class="sheet-col-1-6">Points</div> <div class="sheet-col-1-8">Roll</div> </div> <fieldset class="repeating_generalskills"> <div class="sheet-row"> <div class="sheet-col-1-2 sheet-padr sheet-left"><input type="text" name="attr_skillname" value="name"></div> <div class="sheet-col-1-6 sheet-center"> <select name="attr_skill_stat"> <option value="@{strength_mod}">Str</option> <option value="@{intelligence_mod}">Int</option> <option value="@{wisdom_mod}">Wis</option> <option value="@{dexterity_mod}">Dex</option> <option value="@{constitution_mod}">Con</option> <option value="@{charisma_mod}">Cha</option> </select> </div> <div class="sheet-col-1-6 sheet-padl sheet-center"><input type="number" name=" attr_skill_points_used " value=1 min=1 step=1></div> <div class="sheet-col-1-8 sheet-padl sheet-center"> <button type='roll' class="sheet-roll" name='roll_skill_roll' value="&{template:5eDefault} {{ability=1}} {{title=@{skillname}}} {{subheader=@{character_name}'s Skill Check}} {{rollname=Success: N(0)/Y(1)}} {{roll=[[{1d20+@{skill_stat}}>@{osr}]]}} "></button> </div> </div> </fieldset> </div>

Edited 1474298213
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Quick update. I've scrapped the background image for the sheet as I'm reworking (aka swiping and rewriting) the BECM sheet code as it is most similar to BFRPG. I can not praise Allenmaher's work enough because our sheet will be based off his coding but changed to represent our system. Here is a small sample of what the front tab looks right at the moment but that will change sooner or later.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is now in a working order. I still haven't gotten the inventory to auto-calculate the weight for the encumbrance but if you are willing to do it manually, it is pretty much ready to go. here is a  preview of the sheet image.
You've done amazing, stellar work dude, I also saw your post about this on the Basic Fantasy forums too. The weight think can be thrown on the "if you know how to make it work whip up the code for us and we'll thank you for it" list.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm researching it for now. I can always update the code later on. Right now I'm researching how to get it uploaded to the github and get a pull request going.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ok. The sheet went to the github for a pull request. Now it is a wait and see. It is not compatible with the original sheet due to additional fields and naming conventions.

Edited 1476833476
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ok. This is a heads up to users of the old sheet. The new sheet went live but due to the naming conventions being different between the two sheets, I will have to add some sheetworker script to the new sheet so that all the old information gets pulled into the new sheet properly. Don't worry, the information is not lost, just missplaced. I will try to get the sheetworkers installed and uploaded the updated sheet sometime this week (real life comes first).
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Pat S. said: Ok. This is a heads up to users of the old sheet. The new sheet went live but due to the naming conventions being different between the two sheets, I will have to add some sheetworker script to the new sheet so that all the old information gets pulled into the new sheet properly. Don't worry, the information is not lost, just missplaced. I will try to get the sheetworkers installed and uploaded the updated sheet sometime this week (real life comes first). I got the sheetworkers installed in my sheet test campaign but they are hit or miss due to not only is the naming conventions are different, the fields are different also so I'm not going to push the sheetworkers into the github sheet. Nothing is lost. All the information is still on the sheet, you can find the information in the abilities &attributes tab. You will just have to manually reenter the information. There are many new fields in the new sheet that do not have corresponding fields in the old sheet so you will be able to add more details if wanted.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Recieved some feedback and will be updating the sheet to fix the discovered errors. Melee weapon to hit (str and attack bonus) switched Missile weapon to hit (dex and attack bonus) switched Armor class total not totaling correctly. I will work on them and get the corrections pushed as soon as I can.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Here is a changelog for this month. I will add to it as needed. November 12 - Fixed attack bonus calculations and armor class calculations. Redesigned the Armor class section in the combat tab. November 13 - Added no to the turn undead / befriend animal drop down to represent no ability. November 16 - Fixed a misname on a fieldset. November 18 - Fixed field calulation in spell damage, Fixed field display in range attack, Changed Dexterity bonus in range attack to a drop down menu for ability modifier selection. This will allow strength based range attack, Int based magical attack, and standard Dexterity based attacks.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Was told that I mixed up a formula. Basic ability rolls are a 1d6<# instead of 1d6>#: Will work on it and get it fixed.
You've been doing stellar dude, this is looking amazing, a small step and giant leap past the old one.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Here is the current changelog. I just created an open pull request with all the updates so it is now in the devs hands. **Changelog** +October 15 - Felt it was finished enough to post in the github for it's initial pull +November 12 - Fixed attack bonus calculations and armor class calculations. Redesigned the Armor class section in the combat tab. +November 13 - Added no to the turn undead / befriend animal drop down to represent no ability. +November 16 - Fixed a misname on a fieldset. +November 18 - Fixed field calculation in spell damage, Fixed field display in range attack, Changed Dexterity bonus in range attack to a drop down menu for ability modifier selection. This will allow strength based range attack, Int based magical attack, and standard Dexterity based attacks. +November 19 - Fixed Basic ability formula, range modifiers. Was backwards. +November 21 - Fixed the coin weight formula. Future goals: When the Compendium is opened to other games, I will start looking into getting the sheet coded in a similar manner that the 5e ogl sheet handles drop and drag. This will happen after the Compendium is created (I will be looking for helpers when this happens).
Pat, as you continue on this, let me know if I can help with anything. More than happy to lend a hand.
I couldn't help but notice that your version of the Basic Fantasy sheet is now the standard for all newly created/switched games wanting to use Basic Fantasy sheets, grats dude!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thank you. I'm hoping you are liking it. Please post any errors or bugs you might find in the sheet and I will fix them as soon as possible.

Edited 1480690126
Lessy
Plus
One thing that I'm wondering, is why when doing a ability score check does the math for the roll look like a giant jumbled mess? It seems to be doing a bunch of calculations that aren't nessary or I don't understand. I notice this with other calculations as well, like when rolling for to-hit and damage with a weapon. One thing I would suggest is a way to plug in your own damage dice instead of using a drop down menu with per-determined selections. So for damage have a box that would allow you to do basic " rolling markup" like you do for compact dice rolls. So d6, 2d6, 2d4+3, ect. I'm noticing a lot of things I have suggestions for acutally. I might take a day or so and give you a full write up.

Edited 1480691225
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is how to works out the calculation of the bonuses for each of the stat tier.. Without it, that would not be automated. If you look in the rules there is a tier of stats Ability Score Bonus/Penalty 3 -3 4-5 -2 6-8 -1 9-12 0 13 +1 16-17 +2 18 +3 The formula  (round(@{strength}*@{strength}*@{strength}*0.002831-@{strength}*@{strength}*0.08918+1.164*@{strength}-5.667) takes each stat number and works out the tiers. I discovered it in the BECMI sheet and it works.
That makes sense in hindsight. Also have you made a thread on the Basic Fantasy Forums? Can't recall if you have already and I just forgot, but I'd think they'd much like to see your hard work for the system.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I posted about it over  there also.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
In case anyone wants a less-precarious formula (for use in macros only): [[ -3 + {4, 6, 9, 13, 16, 18}<@{strength} ]]
Can you help me understand the logic of the General Skill macro?  I thought it was roll under your skill number, not roll over? I really love this sheet, just trying to figure out the macros; the math you borrowed from teh BECMI sheet is too intense for me lol
Ok never mind that, I figured it out.  However, I'm unsure how to increase an individual Skill's level past 1 on the sheet; or should I just assume everyone's skills go up with their levels?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The macro for the general skill is &{template:5eDefault} {{ability=1}} {{title=@{character_name}'s}} {{subheader=@{skillname} Skill Check}} {{rollname=Success N(0)/Y(0)}}} {{roll=[[{1d20+@{skill_stat}}>@{osr}]]}}  and it relies on the Optional Skill roll stat being set. I did not use the background skill supplement but tried to keep it somewhat based on the optional ability roll in the back of the core rules. That uses the d20 roll over target number which is what I went with. I could look at the supplement and see how to incorporate it but I would prefer to keep it more inline with the core rules. I just noticed a slight typo and will have to fix that.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Scott M. said: Ok never mind that, I figured it out.  However, I'm unsure how to increase an individual Skill's level past 1 on the sheet; or should I just assume everyone's skills go up with their levels? As your character levels up, the Optional skill roll stat goes down. It starts at 17 then drops down so a first level character rolling a skill would do a 1d20+stat bonus vs 17, roll over. The next level would be 1d20+stat bonus vs 16 (it might be 15), roll over, etc....
OK, that is the confusion then for Ray Allen's supplement describes adding a +1 to skills as you increase level.  But just tying them all to class level is easier and I think it's detail enough.  Thanks for the hard work this sheet is great.!
I know you have worked over the combat stats, but for some reason I don't think the attack bonus is working right.  I am working on a 2nd level fighter and his attack bonus won't go up to +2.  I made sure his level is correct and the xp's are correct but the attack bonus remains at 1. 
Aargh, scratch that, I'm sorry to spam you with questions. 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is ok. I want feedback and error reports otherwise how will I get a list of problems to fix. I'm taking a breather for the holidays before working on any additions to the sheet. I still want to build the Basic Fantasy Compendium and add the drag and drop enhancement to the sheet. I've been trying to read and understand the sheetworkers so I can get the inventory to autocalculate any weight put into the various repeating fields.

Edited 1483807036
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This is to anyone that is following this thread. I will be updating the sheet in  a few weeks. I have added a new input for the optional skills and altered some of the text. I've also worked on the weapon specialization but a thought hit me. I'm think of splitting the whole bit up and moving the specialization into the combat > weapons so it can be incorporated into the roller properly. The optional tab then being expanded to include more supplement support.
Great. I like the idea of the weapon specialization being moved so it is more integrated into the roll. That's a good idea. I'll also be curious to see what the optional skill modification looks like. I'm excited that it's part of the sheet.

Edited 1483896987
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello everyone, I'm the creator and maintainer of the bfrpg sheet on roll20. The reason for this post is a general request to all users of the sheet. I've been tweaking the sheet in a private game that is dedicated for this purpose and I'm seeking people that are familiar with the system and the various supplements to give me suggestions and bug checks as I can do only so much myself. I need more eyes and minds on this plus I want this to be a community driven and supported sheet. If you are interested and willing to help out, then drop a post here and I will toss you a pm with the link.

Edited 1484153947
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
A pull request has been applied for the updated sheet. Many minor tweaks have been done to the sheet but the major work is still being worked on. Hopefully I will get the TAS script working on the encumbrance as soon as I can wrapped my brain around it. edit-- I'm aware of the half filled optional tab. I'm trying to decide on what to add to the right side but I did not want to mess up the formating of the secondary skill section, yet.
Hi Pat, Great work on the sheet, appreciate your efforts.  I believe I've spotted a bug in the Abilities/Class Abilities section when a Stat is used.  By way of example: I have created a character with Dexterity of 15 giving a +1 Mod.  I then added the Thief Abilities in the Class Abilities section with a Listen of 30%.  I tested the roll and without Stats being taken into consideration it works fine.  I then added the DEX stat.  I was expecting the success range to be 1-35 in this instance, and 36+ to be a fail, but successful rolls were in the range of 1-25, while 25+ was a fail.   I think the formula needs modifying from: {{roll=[[{1d100+@{ability_stat}}<@{ability_rank}]]}} to: {{roll=[[{1d100}<@{ability_rank}+@{ability_stat}]]}}
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Neil B. said: Hi Pat, Great work on the sheet, appreciate your efforts.  I believe I've spotted a bug in the Abilities/Class Abilities section when a Stat is used.  By way of example: I have created a character with Dexterity of 15 giving a +1 Mod.  I then added the Thief Abilities in the Class Abilities section with a Listen of 30%.  I tested the roll and without Stats being taken into consideration it works fine.  I then added the DEX stat.  I was expecting the success range to be 1-35 in this instance, and 36+ to be a fail, but successful rolls were in the range of 1-25, while 25+ was a fail.   I think the formula needs modifying from: {{roll=[[{1d100+@{ability_stat}}<@{ability_rank}]]}} to: {{roll=[[{1d100}<@{ability_rank}+@{ability_stat}]]}} Thank you for the report. I will double check the work in progress sheet and make sure i have it corrected.
Missile/Thrown Weapons allow you to select an ability bonus which affects the attack roll, but it isn't possible to add the Strength Mod for thrown weapon/slings damage.   Is there ever a situation where an ability other than Dexterity is used for missile/thrown weapon attacks?  If not, why not automatically add that, and use the Ability Bonus column to determine whether or not Strength Mod is added to damage?  Just a thought...
Just a few other observations: There are some limits on recording Elf abilities in the Basic Abilities section, perhaps these could be added to in the same way as Class Abilities:   In addition to 'Finding Secret Doors' which is successful on a 1-2 on 1d6, there could also be an option for 'Spot Secret Doors' which is successful on a 1 on a 1d6 (p5 of rules, finding a door with a cursory look, there may be a better term for it than 'spot'). It would be handy to record Immunity to Ghoul paralysis, and; Record that Elves are only surprised on a roll of 1 on 1d6. Is it possible to calculate encumbrance for items added - it does this already for GP. Some character sheets show base saving throws, then racial mods in a separate column.  I know it is easy to adjust the target saving throw numbers by subtracting the bonus, but I prefer them being shown in a separate column.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Neil B. said: Missile/Thrown Weapons allow you to select an ability bonus which affects the attack roll, but it isn't possible to add the Strength Mod for thrown weapon/slings damage.   Is there ever a situation where an ability other than Dexterity is used for missile/thrown weapon attacks?  If not, why not automatically add that, and use the Ability Bonus column to determine whether or not Strength Mod is added to damage?  Just a thought... I knew I was missing something for the damage with muscle powered range attack. I will add that to the "to do" list. The reason for the three attributes to be used in the to hit mechanics is that slings and other muscle powered range attack, dex is for bows and crossbows, and intelligence is for the occasional spell or spell like ability that a couple supplements have listed. Neil B. said: Just a few other observations: There are some limits on recording Elf abilities in the Basic Abilities section, perhaps these could be added to in the same way as Class Abilities:   In addition to 'Finding Secret Doors' which is successful on a 1-2 on 1d6, there could also be an option for 'Spot Secret Doors' which is successful on a 1 on a 1d6 (p5 of rules, finding a door with a cursory look, there may be a better term for it than 'spot'). It would be handy to record Immunity to Ghoul paralysis, and; Record that Elves are only surprised on a roll of 1 on 1d6. Is it possible to calculate encumbrance for items added - it does this already for GP. Some character sheets show base saving throws, then racial mods in a separate column.  I know it is easy to adjust the target saving throw numbers by subtracting the bonus, but I prefer them being shown in a separate column. I will have to think about how to add the racial abilities of the elves to the basic abilities section. The encumbrance calculating is something I'm working on at the moment but having difficulties with it as it requires javascript coding (I'm not a coder) so it is taking me time to learn and do (I have a family to take care of and work also). I will have to look into the racial modifiers for the saving throws also.
Neil B. said: Just a few other observations: There are some limits on recording Elf abilities in the Basic Abilities section, perhaps these could be added to in the same way as Class Abilities:   In addition to 'Finding Secret Doors' which is successful on a 1-2 on 1d6, there could also be an option for 'Spot Secret Doors' which is successful on a 1 on a 1d6 (p5 of rules, finding a door with a cursory look, there may be a better term for it than 'spot'). It would be handy to record Immunity to Ghoul paralysis, and; Record that Elves are only surprised on a roll of 1 on 1d6. Is it possible to calculate encumbrance for items added - it does this already for GP. Some character sheets show base saving throws, then racial mods in a separate column.  I know it is easy to adjust the target saving throw numbers by subtracting the bonus, but I prefer them being shown in a separate column. I will have to think about how to add the racial abilities of the elves to the basic abilities section. The encumbrance calculating is something I'm working on at the moment but having difficulties with it as it requires javascript coding (I'm not a coder) so it is taking me time to learn and do (I have a family to take care of and work also). I will have to look into the racial modifiers for the saving throws also. I do some front end development, including JavaScript (mainly jQuery and other frameworks, but I do use vanilla js).  I can't offer a lot of time, but if you want me to look at that bit of code I'd be happy to. Neil
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Neil B. said: I do some front end development, including JavaScript (mainly jQuery and other frameworks, but I do use vanilla js).  I can't offer a lot of time, but if you want me to look at that bit of code I'd be happy to. Neil Well  here is the thread I have for the sheet worker help request. I want to keep the specific discussion about the sheet workers in that thread. Do you want an invite to the Basic Fantasy sheet construction forum (game)? I can send you an invite to it.