Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

WHERE ARE ALL THE OLD SCHOOL GUYS?

Hardly any Crawls, 1st & 2nd Edition, Original D&D, etc. Why not? I get if you do not want to play Car Wars or Gamma World but no Original D&D players? Lets get some going. Yah think we already have enough D&D5E games? Ill even pay for a good DM.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There are still us ol' timers around but usually we are busy with full games. Wha'cha looking for?
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition)  '77-'84 or A Crawl.  Prefer a good ole long term campaign.
Gold
Forum Champion
I'm DM'ing AD&D 2nd, Tuesday afternoon (USA) evening (UK). Long term epic campaign, high fantasy, high magic, homebrew world (somewhat like Forgotten Realms in the tone and size). The party is around 5th-8th level currently, in a dungeon they just defeated a beholder and some frost giants in the last 2 sessions, plus a roper and some piercers, and their scouting has shown the bones of a dragon in the room we're playing next (?). We have room for one more player.
We're here bud. Some of us are just showing the whipper snappers how it's done. :D
I want to run a 2e Al-Qadim game in the future.
I am down for anything.  From Keep on the Borderlands to growing the campaign into giant series.  Anyone have fund memories of Beyond Barrier Peak and or Tomb of Horror.  What classics!
If there would be a fresh game starting in the original D&D, I'm down to play if timing would be right. Not exactly very experienced with it, but I learn fast.

Edited 1473114410
Ajax
Pro
I am planning on running a Pathfinder game with an old school feel, i.e. Only four classes and four races, Cleric, Fighter, Thief (rogue), and Wizard and the basic four races Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Human, probably using the Beginner Rules which are very close to the original game. Major difference is the modification of the THACO rule concerning Armor Class... I have been DMing for 40 plus years and have volumes of material including all the classic modules mentioned above... Remember how simple the Rounds went when there was an actual guideline as to the order of events. These simple rules could be used in any game system... From the Red Box Set of Dungeons and Dragons Basic Game (pre 1st edition) ORDER OF EVENTS IN A GAME TURN 1. Wandering Monsters: DM rolls 1d6 (normally checked every 2 turns) 2. Actions: Caller describes all party actions (movement, listening, searching, etc.) 3. Results: If: a. a new area is mapped, the DM describes it. b. an encounter occurs, skip to ORDER OF EVENTS IN AN ENCOUNTER. c. something is discovered (secret door, item, etc) the DM announces the results. d. no encounter occurs, the game turn ends; return to #I. ORDER OF EVENTS IN AN ENCOUNTER 1. Number Appearing: determined by the DM  2. surprise: DM rolls 1d6 for each side (monsters and party). 3. Reactions: DM rolls 2d6 for the monsters’ first reactions. 4. Results: If: a. both sides talk, continue reaction rolls, negotiation, etc. as needed. b. one side runs away, the DM handles Evasion and Pursuit (page 16). c. one side attacks, continue with ORDER OF EVENTS IN COMBAT. ORDER OF EVENTS IN COMBAT (remember how much simpler and organized the Combats were) 1. Intentions: The DM asks each player what the character intends to do in the coming round. 2. Initiative: Each side rolls 1d6. The side that wins the initiative acts first. 3. Actions, side that wins initiative: a. Morale checks, if needed. b. Movement. c. Missile fire. d. Magic spells and magic items used (such as wands). e. Hand-to-hand combat. 4. Side that lost Initiative goes through a. to e. Repeat until combat is resolved by one side running away, surrendering, or dying...
We are all still here. We never went anywhere. Where have YOU been, stranger?
I have a campaign im trying to find players for now..&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1587333/the-war-of-light-and-darkness-a-forgotten-realms-campaign-ad-and-d-2nd-edition" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1587333/the-war-of-light-and-darkness-a-forgotten-realms-campaign-ad-and-d-2nd-edition</a>
Victor said: Also my favorite edition, but soooo hard to find games and players for. The classic modules are great, but a challenge to run here due to lack of vtt/digital maps for them (unless your Map-Fu is strong). It's easier to go with a custom campaign due to the accessibility of purchasable maps and such. It would be awesome to be able to give new players a tour of White Plume Mountain, the Tomb of Horror and the Ghost Tower of Inverness though! Don't know about how hard it is to find players, but it's definitely hard to find games for the first edition D&D. I've been looking for a game in original D&D for months. And one that I could play being in Europe (one that doesn't start at 1 am my time)? Haven't seen one yet and I check very often.&nbsp;
Old School here, I started off in Roll20 running 1e, but switched to B/X. Currently running 1 group through the Temple of Elemental Evil (adapted to B/X), and another group will probably be arriving there soon.
So... um. Is there a chance for a new campaign in the original D&D to happen?
Here's hoping.
Thiaren said: So... um. Is there a chance for a new campaign in the original D&D to happen? B/X or little brown books?

Edited 1473470011
OldSchoolChris said: Thiaren said: So... um. Is there a chance for a new campaign in the original D&D to happen? B/X or little brown books? Not really sure what's the difference. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_(1974)" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_(1974)</a> This one?
Thiaren said: B/X or little brown books? Not really sure what's the difference. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_(1974)" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_(1974)</a> This one? Your link is to what is commonly referred to as the "Little Brown Books". B/X (the version I play) is listed in this article, under "1981 Revision":&nbsp; <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons" rel="nofollow">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons</a>... I'm kind of in the same situation as Stan... I already DM two campaigns, and now a couple of old gaming friends from my college days are asking me to start running something for them. It would be tough to begin yet another campaign at this point in time.
Come on you old fart! &nbsp;What happen to No Quest too Small No Treasure too big? &nbsp;The thrill of finding that first +1 dagger, saving the party from a gas trapped chest, chopping up your first bugbear as a group. &nbsp;Want more&nbsp;laughs than watching the annoying halfling hide in shadows backing into a Sphere of Annihilation. More fun than two Hill Giants trying to play pong with a Beholder. Come on down... So I'm going to pay a pro DM to run Keep on the Borderlands or something. &nbsp;Once a Week prob Tuesday or Wednesday night. &nbsp;I'm in Central time. &nbsp;If you still have your tinder boxs and do not mind lobbing a 1st level magic missile contact me directly soon. &nbsp;Going to kick off in the next 2 weeks or less. Want 4-6 determined to make it players. &nbsp;A Old School Lvl 1 Champaign. &nbsp;Era '79-'84. &nbsp;Everything from Player's Handbook up to when Ravenscroft came out.&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;
I'm an old school guy. I'm about to kick off a AD&D / OSRIC game using Michael Curtis's excellent Stonehell Dungeon as the centerpiece, with home brewed items surrounding it. At this point I've got three players and don't think I'm looking for more, but perhaps in the future...

Edited 1473638510
I played 2nd edition , with throwing level limitations out (very crude balance attempt on desingers part), and opened a few new multiclassing options (gnome druid/rogue anyone?) Always down for some 2nd ed. depending on day and time..
Some of us realized that it wasn't the AD&D version X that was driving us. &nbsp;Its role-playing doing things with our imagination. &nbsp;ALL versions of D&D are poor for that but we didn't have options back in the day so we made it work!
Ya but back in the day they thought we were all devil worshipers and heathens for playing the game. &nbsp;The truth was it was a solid mix of pre programmers and people being able to push their creative button. &nbsp;Some of which have done very well.&nbsp;
I'm currently running ToEE, adapted to B/X D&D. The players have just cleared the Moathouse, it was touch and go there for a while during the boss fight. But they won out in the end. The problem is that they're having a really hard time "bonding" with the villagers. That place is supposed to be a welcome refuge after a hard day of adventuring, but instead this group has managed to insult / offend just about everyone of importance who lives there. If the PCs were not obviously champions of Good, the locals would have probably brought out the tar and feathers several days ago.