Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Work with map making software developer to export maps directly to roll20

Exactly what it says on the tin. Work with map making software developer to export maps directly to roll20. I don't care what map making tool you partner up with, but work with them to develop a Roll20 export option. This would produce a map you can upload as a new map that would have the grid (square or hex) already aligned, ready to go. Yes, I know you can currently do this by hand, but an automated system would be nice.
Gold
Forum Champion
In the meantime, have you tried the offerings from Roll20 Marketplace? Many of the Maps and Tiles for-sale are gridless and tell the dimensions (Roll20 units x units) in the description. Once purchased they are in your Library tab in-game, and you can drop the gridless maps onto a Page in your game, set it to the specified size in units x units, then use the Roll20 Grid (with any color of your choice). This way you don't need to line up one grid with another grid, since the map doesn't have it's own grid and you apply the Roll20 grid. You can do the same with a set of Tiles and you'll have pieces to slide around and make your own map, with Roll20 grid always staying-put on top. Maps, <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keyw" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keyw</a>... Tiles, <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keyw" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keyw</a>... Your suggestion is still valid, I understand you are suggesting a complete map-making interface or partnership with external map-making program to export complete user-made maps. If using an external program, if you make it "gridless" or invisible grid, that will probably make it easier to use the Roll20 grid with a near-matching estimated size.
Hi. I'm a software developer, and I am currently creating cross-platform battlemap creation software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both print-resolution maps and lower-res maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. The program will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs. The program should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions, but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive. I would very much like to directly support the creation of maps specifically for use in Roll20. Can someone please tell me exactly what I can do to streamline the process and make things easier for Roll20 users? For example, in my "Export Map" window, I could have an output setting specifically configured for Roll20 (which automatically sets the proper dpi, grid, etc). I've heard that the ideal map resolution for Roll20 is 70 pixels per 5' grid square, or multiples of 70 (e.g., 140, 280). Is there anything else I need to know regarding how Roll20 handles maps? Can I do anything on my end to get exported maps uploaded directly into a Roll20 user's allocated asset space? If someone has purchased artwork on the Roll20 Marketplace, is there any chance they could be allowed to use said artwork in my mapping software? If I wanted to contact a Roll20 dev to discuss such a possibility, who would be the best person to contact? Thanks! PS: I'm also trying to gauge public interest in said mapping program, so please PM me to let me know if such software would be of interest to you.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Heruca, I would recommend contacting the dev team directly on <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> to discuss this :)
OK, thanks, Ziechael. I will do that.
Unfortunately, I never received a reply from the Roll20 team. On the bright side, it turns out that there was substantial interest in my new mapping software. The&nbsp;Kickstarter for my MapForge mapping software&nbsp;funded on the first day. I'm thrilled with how well it has been received, especially by the former Dundjinni community, and I hope it becomes an indispensable tool for Roll20 GMs. The more feedback I can get from Roll20 users, the better I'll be able to support this particular VTT.
Hey&nbsp; Heruca - I am not seeing an email in the inbox from the email attached to your account, can you try emailing us again? I'll be happy to try to get you some answers!
Weird. I KNOW I sent it, I specifically remember the act of pressing the Send button. But now I can't find the email in my Sent Mail folder (nor in Drafts). I will try to remember what all I originally wrote and will re-send. Thanks for the heads-up, Avacyn!
OK, message re-sent.
Totally backed this project. Come on Roll20 team! Answer the man.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .