Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any ideas on how to do this?

Edited 1481463645
I am writing a simple half serious Spy Game that uses three stats Athletics, Brains and Chase using Bars 1 to 3. The players would also set Defense pointing to one of the three stats. An attacker would indicate which attribute he is attacking with, and rolls would be resolved against what ever the victim is defending with. The numbers would indicate how many dice each side rolls against the other. So Spy1 attacks Spy2 using Athletics(4) The victim has Athletics(3) Brains(5) and Chase(3) His Defense is set to Brains(5), so to succeed he rolls 4D6>5D6. Can anyone think of a way to have the Defense pull the number off of the bar when set to A, B or C?

Edited 1481465226
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Would this work: [[?{Attack with what|Atheltics,@{selected|bar1}|Brains,@{selected|bar2}|Chase,@{selected|bar3}}d6>?{Defend with what|Atheltics,@{target|bar1}|Brains,@{target|bar2}|Chase,@{target|bar3}}d6]] If you didn't want the players to know what the target was defending with (or what they were being attacked with), you could do it pretty easily by making 2 macros: #Attack: [@{selected|character_name} attacks](![[
[[[[?{Attack with what|Atheltics,@{selected|bar1}|Brains,@{selected|bar2}|Chase,@{selected|bar3}}d6]]#Defend]&;#93;) #Defend: >[[?{Defend with what|Atheltics,@{target|bar1}|Brains,@{target|bar2}|Chase,@{target|bar3}}d6]] Won't ask for the defender until someone clicks on the API command button, but will remember the selection of the attackers stat, and what his roll was.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I would actually recommend doing it with character abilities instead as the global macros seem to expand funny, not to mention eat the html replacements whenever you resave them: Attack Ability: [@{selected|character_name} attacks](![[
[[[[?{Attack with what|Atheltics,@{selected|bar1}|Brains,@{selected|bar2}|Chase,@{selected|bar3}}d6]]%{Kindle|Defend} ]]) Defend Ability: >[[?{Defend with what|Atheltics,@{target|bar1}|Brains,@{target|bar2}|Chase,@{target|bar3}}d6]]
They would work, my intent was the players would never know what the other was using, just the results. An API solution may be the only way to go. I also wanted to avoid having an administrator of any kind, the game would be set up and run. I have already worked out movement and advancement using a deck dealt out by the players onto the board (the cards would have a roof as the back and when a player lands at the entrance they would flip the card and gain the benefit or bane from entering the building. Once flipped the buildings are just empty..
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ah, then you want the second option. Uses API command buttons, but doesn't require API. The escapes prevent the query form triggering until someone clicks the command button, but will save the results of the player's selection just fine.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Minor nitpick: the defender would be able to see the attacker's result by examining the sent ACB (e.g. by glancing at the status bar that appears when hovering over the ACB).
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ah, true. You could either go API route, or just make two abilities for characters, one that goes the way I did above, and one that reverses it so the player is providing the defense prior to the api command button.