Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Sight Tokens

keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Is there any script or combination of settings which can do this: I want to drop occasional sight tokens similar to those created by the Light Crumbs script. I don't need the automation on that, I don't do it that often, and I'd rather decide specifically where to place them to minimize clutter. I'd like a token that : A) Has Sight B) That Sight is shared by all players but C) The tricky part—can't be moved by players. Ideally, I'd like it if they couldn't even select them. It's not a trust issue, more of a convenience issue,I don't want the battlefleld to have tokens on it that they can select by accident when trying to select their character. I can create a token that satisfies A&B, just by making a shared character. I can place these in places they've been in the dungeon But I can't figure out how to achieve C. Placing the token on any layer other than the Objects layer breaks Sight. The Token Lock script locks tokens semi-globally using different criteria. It also doesn't inhibit selection, only movement. I could deal with this last by sending sight tokens to the back, but ideally, I'd like it as a set and stay kind of feature. This is probably an API solution, but I'm posting it in the Specific Use Questions and Macros forum just in case the solution could be achieved by a combination of settings I haven't thought of. Any ideas?

Edited 1493136306
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You can probably use my  ShareVision for this. You'd drop a token that the players don't control, then tag it with the aura statusmarker to trigger the script to create a slave vision token. Players can select and move the slave token, but it is always moved back to the master token when dropped. There isn't a way to have the sight token be fully unselectable/unmovable.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
What he said. =D
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Would that work for multiple slave tokens? I.e. does each created slave token associate with a specific instance (dropped token) of the master character? It sounds like it's about halfway there, but if my goal isn't achievable with the current state of Roll20's guts, I probably don't want to get too complicated. I'm more worried about them getting frustrated by accidentally selecting a vision token, than moving them to be sneaky. They're a good lot, but only slightly savvy with the Roll20 interface.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep each slave token would associate with only one token instance. The script currently doesn't handle a token being created (such as from dragging a character out). The slave token is made at the back of the token stack, so as long as they aren't trying to select a token they don't control, they shouldn't be able to select them.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Scott. I'll give it a spin.
So long as the tokens are set up correctly, you can drop your light source on the map layer. Players cant interact with the map layer. The All players see light and has sight options checked on the light source. And have all players able to control the light source. They will see the light but be unable to even click the token.
And you can right click the light source and click "To Back" to even put it under the map and still show the light.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Steve M. said: So long as the tokens are set up correctly, you can drop your light source on the map layer. Players cant interact with the map layer. The All players see light and has sight options checked on the light source. And have all players able to control the light source. They will see the light but be unable to even click the token. Yep, but then the sight doesn't work.
Works fine on mine. I just made a trial page with a human with no light and a torch token. He sees the light provided by the torch token on the map layer.
The light source token HAS to be editable by all players. Or the players you want to be able to see the light. not just in all players journals. The Enforce Line of Sight setting requires this.
Or did you mean a token left behind not being able to be seen by players always? Yes, the map layer does stop you from seeing the light if your other tokens arent in Line of Sight. I havent used the light crumbs script before. I understand now.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Steve M. said: The light source token HAS to be editable by all players. Or the players you want to be able to see the light. not just in all players journals. The Enforce Line of Sight setting requires this. Nope, The light just has to be marked as "all players see light" for anyone to see it. The sight I was referring to though was that players would not be able to see from the perspective of that token if it is on any layer other than the object layer.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Scott C. said: Steve M. said: The light source token HAS to be editable by all players. Or the players you want to be able to see the light. not just in all players journals. The Enforce Line of Sight setting requires this. Nope, The light just has to be marked as "all players see light" for anyone to see it. The sight I was referring to though was that players would not be able to see from the perspective of that token if it is on any layer other than the object layer. Bingo. Light is not the issue. Shared sight is. For that the token apparently needs to be on the object layer.
You can make your light source token as small as possible. Click it and shrink it down holding alt or click the "is Drawing" so it doesnt snap to a grid. Once it is shrunk all the way down it is almost impossible to accidentally click on it. You can select it if you make a box that includes it. Once it is that small you have to hit the Use Selected Token again to save it as that size on the journal sheet.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks, Steve. I hadn't considered resizing the token , as opposed to the graphic . That sounds like a good idea. If I include a slight aura, that will help me find it, too.