Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tales From the Yawning Portal Bug Thread 1.1

Edited 1496871143
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Here is the new thread to report any issues with Tales from the Yawning Portal as of Patch 1.1 If you have any questions about how to add the Add Ons to your game,  please check out our Announcement page which contains a helpful FAQ.
I updated Hidden Shrine and it overwrote my Start page , created duplicates of all the maps which were all empty and named "Untitled" . Fortunately, none of the maps I was using were changed (I had edited them already in a repo game and transmogrified them over).  I had to delete the untitled pages and transmogrify my start page, and so far no other harm done that I can tell. A screen dump showing the pages bar and the contents of one of those pages; PLEASE UNPATCH THE PATCH!! And a Start page is not needed for an add-on!
I know its not a bug but HUGE THANKS for all the work that went into 1.1, re-buying it now! 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Welcome, Mel!
Are there more changes/fixes planned? This update fix a few things but there are still a lot of issues in these modules. I just took a look at a fresh install of Tomb of Horrors and there are two random tokens by the false but true door (area 23). It looks like they are a light and a test token for vision. In general the dynamic lighting is sloppy and I face palmed when I saw the handout that was added to Tomb of Horrors for the green Devil Face. It's literally the compass rose image from the map with the north index and everything. That is only going to confuse people. Also that same area 6 in ToH is still missing the green devil face on the map itself where the same detail is included elsewhere on the map. The handout instructions for area 20 is still out of order. The handout shouldn't be shown to the players until after the trap is sprung, currently it is saying to show it after the descriptive text is read. The handout shows the trap. More fixes are still needed.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Nice to meet you folks, thanks for the warm welcome! Doug: Could you please tell me the name of the game this issue occurred in? That definitely sounds like a bug we need to look into. Ed S: First I wanted to say thank you for your continued feedback on these Add Ons, especially Tomb of Horrors.  You are correct, those tokens were not supposed to be left on the map and and will be removed in the first possible update. In reference to the Handout and Green Devil Trap: Our goal with our Add Ons is to give the same experience as one would have with the print book, optimized for our VTT. The trap in area 6 is there on the map, in perspective and attached to the wall, just as it is in adjoining rooms. The text from area 20 is pulled directly from the book. You are free as GM to deliver handouts in any order you see fit, of course! For the time being, we are focused on fixing major usability issues found in our Marketplace content, but we do have a record of your notes if we are able to adjust these in the future. We’ve had a big hiring push to get more eyes on our module production moving forward and hope to have many of these usability concerns addressed before release in the future. Thank you again to every one for taking the time to outline issues in our Bug Forums! -Mel
Mel said: -snip In reference to the Handout and Green Devil Trap: Our goal with our Add Ons is to give the same experience as one would have with the print book, optimized for our VTT. The trap in area 6 is there on the map, in perspective and attached to the wall, just as it is in adjoining rooms. -Mel I don't want to belabor a point, and I know you are all working hard on this content, but this is not the same experience as playing at the table from the book. We are on a VTT which inherently a visual medium so we need the visual clues for our experience to be smooth. When there are contradictory visuals to what is written it causes more problems on a VTT than it would at a table where you would more likely be playing theater of the mind. To be clear, these old modules were designed to be played TotM. WotC did a poor job with the conversion of these older modules by not rewriting confusing and conflicting bits and not including all the handout art from the original modules. That is not on you, but what is in your court is how you can improve these products to make them fully usable for your VTT.  As for the devil head it is not there and that is a problem from the creator of the map layering his map incorrectly, but it has become your problem because I bought the product from you. This image shows what I am seeing. Both of the circled objects should be the same. If you could get a fix from Wizards that would be great. I had to add other map elements and redraw the dynamic lighting to be able to run this module which I shouldn't have to do as a paying customer. I don't want others to be so disappointed that they give up and quit buying your products. I want you to succeed,otherwise I wouldn't be telling you all this. I do hope to see more product improvements as this goes on, added features are always welcome. Welcome to the team Mel and good luck with the updates. -Ed S.
Good morning! I'm running  The Sunless Citadel tomorrow and patched my game this morning to update the NPCs and lighting. When I did, it completely deleted and replaced my landing page, which unfortunately had a lot of vital information as well as all my pc and npc icons set up on it and now I can't remember what all I had there to recreate it. Can I get my Sunless Citadel game rolled back to a pre-1.1 update. I'd love to have the update, but not with it replacing and deleting my pages. I would recommend those 'Cover Page Add-On's being a separate extra page, rather than replacing the first. 
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Stormy said: Good morning! I'm running  The Sunless Citadel tomorrow and patched my game this morning to update the NPCs and lighting. When I did, it completely deleted and replaced my landing page, which unfortunately had a lot of vital information as well as all my pc and npc icons set up on it and now I can't remember what all I had there to recreate it. Can I get my Sunless Citadel game rolled back to a pre-1.1 update. I'd love to have the update, but not with it replacing and deleting my pages. I would recommend those 'Cover Page Add-On's being a separate extra page, rather than replacing the first.  We've rolled your game back to this morning. Let us know if that wasn't far enough and we'll look into this Sunless Citadel issue.
That solved the issue for me. Thanks! I was able to duplicate and manually copy over the information on my landing page. I do see that it has removed the option to update to 1.1 for me in the future. Maybe that's something to look into.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I had temporarily removed the patch so that we could fix it. The issue with the start page should no longer happen. If you experience the same or any other issue, please let us know.
The update seems to throw maps in the top of the page toolbar as they are updated. When I installed all the updates on my modules (as I am running them as a campaign) they changed the ordering that I had on the toolbar. Mildly annoying if you only have one module, however if you are running a campaign it's painfull to reorder them again in the crappy page toolbar.
Hi I patched and the game and it erased my start page too where I had all my character tokens organized by race, over 200 of them. Can you undo the change on mine too so I can rename that page and save it?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
What's the name of the game you wish rolled back? What addon caused the issue when you patched?

Edited 1497159783
The Tales of the Yawning Portal game, I added the forge of fury and updated the sunless citadel when the patch came out, and I now have two start pages which show the cover art and the start page I used to have with 100 plus tokens sorted by race and class is gone.  You could urge them to use unique names for the maps and handouts in the future to avoid whatever overwrites are occuring.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Sylverlokk said: The Tales of the Yawning Portal game, I added the forge of fury and updated the sunless citadel when the patch came out, and I now have two start pages which show the cover art and the start page I used to have with 100 plus tokens sorted by race and class is gone.  You could urge them to use unique names for the maps and handouts in the future to avoid whatever overwrites are occuring. I've rolled back your game to the morning of the 10th. As a Pro user you also have the ability to roll your games back to any date for the last 7 days. The issue with the Sunless Citadel patch should be resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any other issues.

Edited 1497292050
so I rolled my game back because not only did it change my starting world map page it also removed the Player flag making me unable to move players to different maps as well as it loaded players onto a map I had in my archives.  I also completely removed Hidden Shrine from the game and then re-added it and boom it happened again. So apparently you did not seem to fix this issue and my campaign is now all kinds of jacked up and it is going to be a nightmare fixing it and I am supposed to run hidden shrine tonight.  Going to try and roll it back to the 10th and NOT use Hidden Shrine at all and will have to figure something else out for my game.  I am not real happy about the purchase at this point. EDIT: I have rolled it back and fixed it with my own workaround.  Even after renaming my start page and its contents...The patch for Hidden Shrine still deleted said page and reorganized everything.  I have it corrected now but this was extremely frustrating and clearly not well tested before being rolled out as it seems to be happening to multiple people including other DMs I game with in roll20. MOST FRUSTRATING!!!!
Doug: Could you please tell me the name of the game this issue occurred in? That definitely sounds like a bug we need to look into. I've already manually fixed the issues. No other game that I've updated recently has shown the same behaviour.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'm investigating the start page issues further. The issue is affecting older games, those not made in the last couple months. There is a bad interaction in how the patched content was prepared and a backend issue that we fixed a few months ago. New games no longer have that issue and aren't experiencing the problem. I believe I have a more permanent systematic fix that should be available tomorrow. I'll update this thread again when that is live.
Thanks, Steve K. It would be great to see instructions on how Yawning Portal campaigns currently in progress can be updated without data loss. Also, this new bug report thread should probably be listed on the  Announcement Page .

Edited 1497357796
eullman said: Thanks, Steve K. It would be great to see instructions on how Yawning Portal campaigns currently in progress can be updated without data loss. Also, this new bug report thread should probably be listed on the  Announcement Page . It is at the top of the Announcements Forum:  Tales From the Yawning Portal has been Updated! - Patch 1.1
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The fix for older games and start pages should now be live. Please let me know if anyone is still having issues applying patches and interactions with their start page.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
eullman - I've updated the link on the Announcement page to lead to this bug forum instead of the old one. 
Thanks, Steve K. and Mel!
I just completed the patch by re-adding the Forge of Fury add-on, and it looks like things went well. Thanks, again!
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Great to hear it eullman! :)
I'm preparing to run the Sunless Citadel module. Here is some feedback: There are three Area 16 rooms and only one is setup as described. All the rooms should have Kobold in them. There are three Area 36 rooms and only two are setup as described. All the rooms should be have Goblins in them. The S tokens should have GM notes with the secret's description from the book for easy accessibility. I'll post here if I find anything after/during the run but thanks for putting this module together. :)  Thanks!
Thanks so much for the updates and fixes! Still having one issue with the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan . The text for area 24 reads: "The two thick lines on the map mark the boundaries of a trap..." and then "The 10-foot-square section of floor marked on the map is the location of a pressure plate." Neither the two thick lines nor the 10 foot square are marked on the map. There are two trap markers... but it is unclear if those are instead of the "thick lines", or if one or both are supposed to be pressure plates. I'd settle for just getting that information even without a patch. Thanks!
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Jonah - I've taken a look through the maps and yes, that trap is ambiguous! We had removed the lines from the map image to not give away the location to the players, but they had not been replaced for GM's.  I will be implementing the following fix in a future patch. We are currently working on a few projects internally so I don't have a date yet for the next patch push, but I hope this preview helps in the meantime -  I've added thick lines to show the edge of the doors and trap areas to show the size of the pressure plates.
The secret doors in the Mountain Door in Forge of Fury are now showing as regular corridors to the players.   It would be great if you could create removable wall art tokens to cover this.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Tyrone GM: That's a good note, thank you. Our goal in bringing these modules to Roll20 is to recreate the book experience, which also has no wall/doors in those corridors, but I can see why it would be troublesome in your game to have a door edge with an empty corridor! I'll need to figure out how to update that in a future patch down the line, but for now, I've created this section of wall for your use as a token. Let me know if it works okay as a temporary fix.
@ Mel Thanks!  That should get me through the next session at least.   May become a bit obvious because I need to resize it a bit to match so the wall lends up looking "rougher" then the surrounding walls, but much better than my attempt to do something with the snipping tool and no artistic ability!
Dear development/sheet authors/generally helpful people For the upcoming event for the roll20 con we are given access to the dynamic lighting function. However... currently I have access to the layer to add objects to but I do not have the option to turn on dynamic lighting in page settings. I was wondering if this was a small bug with my game or if we have not been given access to this function completely yet. Sincerely R .
This is a known issue the devs are working on. Monitor the following thread for details: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5179706/hi-dinamic-lightning-dont-works-dot-dot-dot-please-i-need-help" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5179706/hi-dinamic-lightning-dont-works-dot-dot-dot-please-i-need-help</a>
Hello! I just purchased and added The Sunless Citadel &nbsp;(addon, not the entire TfTYP) to my game. When i "copy" the game, and look at the "copied" version, the addon material is out of the folders, and all over the journal, out of place. Am i doing something wrong? The original game where all i did was add the "addon" still has all the content under the folders. Any way to keep this from happening? I'm spending time restructuring the content under the correct folders, very time consuming and frustrating. Thanks!
I haven't read through all the bug reports, so forgive me if I'm reposting a bug. I'm currently setting up a full Yawning Portal campaign and have found the following so far: Forge of Fury: Southeast Trog room (area 18) has 2 trogs, one with a Dire Wolf token, when it should have 3 regular trogs and no Dire Wolf. Forge of Fury: Secret Doors still show an opening on the player map where it would be best if it showed a blank wall. This is the only module with this problem. Hidden Shrine: There is no Giant Crayfish NPC in the Hidden Shrine journal. It's instead found in White Plume Mountain's folder. I will update when I find more as I set everything up.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Terrelle S. - I have not been able to replicate this bug. Can you give me the name of the game you are copying AND the copy?&nbsp; Chase J. - Forge of Fury's secret doors are a known issue, if you scroll up a little, I made a transparent PNG of some wall to use in the meantime while we figure out a solution. The map image has no door or wall asset, which I totally understand is frustrating as a GM!&nbsp; For the rest of your notes, thank you and I've added them to my to-fix for the next patch. We are working on several projects at the moment so I can't guarantee a date, but they have been noted :)
Hey Mel,&nbsp; The Original game is my "Lost Mine of Phandelver D&D 5e" game. The "copy" game is currently named "The Sunless Citadel-2" , I added the The Sunless Citadel "addon" content to the copy game. My attempt was to have access to my created "monster manual" in my journal. I created a NEW game and added "The Sunless Citadel" addon, which i then discovered that i don't have access to my created Monster Manual, unless i first copy a game that has it, then i proceeded to add the "addon" content, which i then noticed was all over the place. Hope this makes sense.. :( Terrelle &nbsp;
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Terrelle S. - Yep, that's exactly the information I need, thank you! We'll try to get this sorted out and get you playing soon :)
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Terrelle - After looking through the games linked, it appears as though the custom "Monster Manual" was made using the Sundless Citadel Add-On. Then when the Add-On is reapplied, the Add-On it loses it's file structure as it's already detecting the contents of the patch in the game. There are two options: You can delete all of The Sunless Citadel content from your game and then reapply the Add On and it should work correctly OR You can start a new Lost Mine game, add in The Sunless Citadel content, and transfer over your player characters using the Character Vault.&nbsp;
Hmm... i'm sure i started my monster manual before purchasing the addon.. but i'll try one of these solutions. Thanks!

Edited 1498163258
So I just finished reading through and setting up the Hidden Shrine and how I have a bunch of minor bugs listed here in my notes. Most of them aren't very noteworthy but still seem out of place all the same, and many could be considered GM preference and don't need to be fixed. It's really up to whoever to decide which of these are worth bothering with. Hidden Shrine: Martial Arts Adepts (area 22) and possibly Tecuziztecatl (area 11) should start on the GM overlay, as they are not active when players first enter the room. Tecuziztecatl might be okay, though, as its activation is not necessarily due to direct player intervention. If you were to place him on the GM layer, you would also need to create a dynamic lighting entity to represent the dim light he gives off. Hidden Shrine: There are many typos in the Will-o'-Wisp abilities block. Numerous words are separated by two spaces instead of one, and "light in a 5b to 20-foot" should be "light in a 5 to 20-foot" Hidden Shrine: It's unclear exactly where the trap in area 24 is and how it operates. This may just be because I'm dumb. Hidden Shrine: The Giant Fire Beetle NPC should not have the Illumination trait in its stat block. The Werejaguar Multiattack action refers to it as a weretiger when it should say werejaguar. Hidden Shrine: The Doppelganger in area 33 should start on the GM overlay, as it is hidden when the players first enter and attempts to attack with surprise. Sunless Citadel: There are three identical guard rooms per tribe (Areas 16 and 36), but only one per tribe is populated. All six should be populated with 3 guards each of their respective tribes. Sunless Citadel: Area 40 should have lights where the purple fungus is. Area 45 should have a light inside the yellow crack in the wall such that a sliver of it spills into the room (the yellow tint on the map). Hidden Shrine: Area 35 should be lit. Hidden Shrine: The Oni NPC (area 35) does not exist in the Hidden Shrine journal. It is instead found in the White Plume Mountain journal. Could this be related to the other commenter's journal issues and not actually be an issue with the module? Maybe me installing all of the modules to one game caused this? Hidden Shrine: The Thorn Slingers in area 38 should be on the GM layer, as they are hidden and inactive until the players begin crossing the chasm. Hidden Shrine: The Baboons in area 39 should be on the GM layer, as they are visible through the walls when using Dynamic Lighting. Hidden Shrine: The Centaur Mummy in area 49 should be on the GM layer, as it is not animated until the players attempt to leave the room through a different door. Hidden Shrine: The jade wall in area 50 should have a dynamic lighting obstruction painted on it (treat it as a door). Hidden Shrine: The Nahual (area 52) should be on the GM layer, as it resembles a statue until someone holds its scepter for 30 seconds. Furthermore, its traits and actions all refer to it as a doppelganger instead of a nahual. Hidden Shrine: The stairs in area 54 should be lined with Dynamic Lighting obstructions, as any players inside can see the entirety of the temple wall.
I purchased the Yawning Portal bundle, but I can't find the maps that can be used on the VTT on the map level. &nbsp;This is my first purchase so I'm probably missing something.
Peter Y. said: I purchased the Yawning Portal bundle, but I can't find the maps that can be used on the VTT on the map level. &nbsp;This is my first purchase so I'm probably missing something. Have you looked on the pages tab at the top right? It's the little blue button with a paper symbol on it.
No I had not. Thank you.&nbsp;
Some quick notes for White Plume Mountain: The Vampire NPC in area 8 should have Truesight as a sense in his stat block. Burket (area 12) is visible through the wall when using Dynamic Lighting. The far wall in area 26 should have a dynamic lighting obstruction covering the hall to the door. This door is actually underground and the access point is in the center of the room guarded by the manticores.
Regarding the Fortress(top) map in Sunless Citadel.&nbsp; There are 3 giant rat tokens but they are transparent and I am not able to figure out how to move them or interact with them in any way.&nbsp; What am I doing wrong?&nbsp; Thanks gang...
Most likely the giant rat tokens are on the GM Layer so they cannot be seen by the players until you move them to the Objects/Tokens Layer. See the wiki for more about the layers: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Layers" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Layers</a>
For anyone who's actually played adventures from TotYP you probably realize the secret doors are just blatantly obvious on the players map. Even with Fog of War wrapped tightly around the area and moving the "S" (for secret) marker you're still just left with an open gap. Solution, I've taken a close screen shot of the secret areas on my map and in an image editor copied a wall area as deep as necessary then saved it to upload to roll20 as a token. You can then use the alt key to adjust the token to cover the hidden door / passageway. It may take multiple wall tokens each specific to each hidden feature. Anyone have better ideas? In the future I'd hope to see the premium maps take this into consideration from the start.
<a href="mailto:frenziedjustice@hmail.com" rel="nofollow">frenziedjustice@hmail.com</a> said: For anyone who's actually played adventures from TotYP you probably realize the secret doors are just blatantly obvious on the players map. Even with Fog of War wrapped tightly around the area and moving the "S" (for secret) marker you're still just left with an open gap. Solution, I've taken a close screen shot of the secret areas on my map and in an image editor copied a wall area as deep as necessary then saved it to upload to roll20 as a token. You can then use the alt key to adjust the token to cover the hidden door / passageway. It may take multiple wall tokens each specific to each hidden feature. Anyone have better ideas? In the future I'd hope to see the premium maps take this into consideration from the start. Nope, they are going to continue to use the maps right out of the book. They have stated numerous times that that is their goal, to have it as close to the book as possible, even though this is a different medium with different needs. It's extremely frustrating!