Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

(D&D 5e) Experienced player looking for new, long term group

Hi folks. I'm in my 30s now and have been playing D&D in some form or another for more than a decade, though i've been hooked on 5th edition for the past 3 years and loving it all. I love groups that are in for the long haul and have campaigns that last for 6 months, a year, or longer. Most people seem to like playing D&D more like a 2 hour movie where you have a start, middle, and end and almost no time for character development or natural plot development that isn't kind of forced to keep things moving forward. I prefer to play it more like a multiple season series that gives ample time to figure out who your character is and learn who the other characters you play with are and form real connections with these people that go beyond "well we're in the same party, lets go". I've been in groups that played through modules one after another with the same group of characters to create a sort of long campaign-like experience, and that is fun, but I really enjoy homebrew worlds where none of the players know anything about it and we're all discovering it for the first time together. I'm really easy to get along with and like meeting new folks, however, there are a couple of things that do rub me the wrong way. I dislike when people are late or miss sessions because they "forgot", or are just being flakey. I don't like when players don't pay attention to what is going on and are doing things like playing with their phones or watching TV whenever it isn't their turn in combat or when they aren't talking to someone, so they never know what is going on and whenever it is their turn to act the first thing they say is "so what happened? whats going on?". While I love talking to my fellow players about all manner of things like video games to TV shows, I really dislike people wasting scheduled game time to talk about these things instead of playing the game. You have the entire rest of the week to chat about these subjects, don't waste everyone else's time talking about them when we're supposed to be playing D&D. I consider these sorts of things to be very rude and disrespectful and they are things I don't do and I don't want to be involved in games that have players who do them. My latest group had to disband for real life reasons with the DM getting a new job with hours incompatible with most of the group and others deciding that because the DM had to go, they wanted to take the opportunity to search for new groups because we all live in different parts of the world and our play times are very inconvenient for some in other parts of the world. We all had a great time together while it lasted, and it went on for a long time, but it was a good stopping point for us as it were. So now i'm on the prowl for another group that I hope will be an enjoyable experience for years to come. I have a small stable of "favorite" characters I love going back to and playing again that are very fleshed out because they have a lot of play time in them, but i'm also flexible and make new characters as needed. I try to build my characters to be useful, but i'm not overly min/maxy and I often make choices based on character or thematic reasons instead of strictly power increases. If any of this sounds like something you want in your long term game/group, let me know! :)
Hi Xalor! I run several paid games, and the main reason most of my players join is exactly what you've stated - they want a game that is stable, reliable and with party members who treat the game just as seriously as they do. On that note, if you're interested to join one of these groups, drop me a PM on Discord at UnityNooblet#3614 and we can have a quick discussion. I run my games in a semi-homebrew world, mixing in WotC content as necessary.
I have already paid wizards of the coast as well as paizo for all of the books and modules and things over the years. Paying someone to run a game when it has had such a long standing tradition of being a project of passion and meant to just be a group of friends getting together once a week has always felt contrary to the intent and spirit of it all. Once you change that dynamic to "paying for a service" it breeds entitlement and it suddenly isn't a project of passion but is instead your job... I'd rather not get involved in all that. The game wasn't really meant to be played that way and i've had many years playing with DMs who do it just because they love doing it and have great stories they want to share with others. I think it cheapens the whole experience when it becomes "well i'll do it, but only if i'm paid to". And then say someone misses a payment for whatever reason and get ejected from the game for monetary reasons... Yeah I just can't see any of that. I don't have any interest in it at all. It's about as crazy as paying players for their time every week and being good roleplayers and putting a lot of time in their backstory and character development and respectful and so on so you can enjoy your time as a DM more.

Edited 1504886673
No problem if it isn't for you :)  I'll just note that it is indeed attractive for some players, and I have over 30 happy weekly players. Many of them (especially seasoned players) join because in a paid game, they are assured that every other player takes the game just as seriously, and there are never no-shows or other such flakiness. I love doing it, and I do run a free game as a community service (which is perpetually full), but charging allows me to spend much more time on it, and run many more games than I possibly could. As a bonus, I get to play with mature players (even those who are new to D&D) who respect the game and my time. Win-win! At any rate, there are and always will be free games. If that's your preference, by all means, and I wish you best of luck finding a group :)
I lost half my group because of time conflicts and trying to find new players. &nbsp;Please check out the listing for the game and if interested make post there or send me a PM. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/55683/out-the-a" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/55683/out-the-a</a>...
first well said and i have experienced just that a time or two... i am building a world more for the long haul RP experience will take some time but i think the world is best created from RP. i have my main points laid out. it will take a lot of work but with the right players i think the story will grow greatly feel free to PM me if you every want to see what i have so far or even want to join the world.&nbsp;
Hi Shasz, What days and times are you looking to play?&nbsp;
I should be able to rearrange my schedule to fit nearly any time. Ideally, it would be 7pm central or later, but i've done everything from midday to starting at 2am before, so I can work out the schedule if I find a game I think looks like it'll be enjoyable. I work a lot, but I have a lot of leeway in when I work and they're also pretty lax about swapping shifts with others.
Well I definitely agree with much of what you posted originally and your thoughts about paid games as well. I'm trying to assemble enough like-minded players for a Sunday night and Tuesday night group. You can find the details for each respective game here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/88768/order-and" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/88768/order-and</a>... <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/88765/chaos-and" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/88765/chaos-and</a>...