Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Short survey for GMs please participate

Edited 1391790218
1. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and having a subsciption. a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? 2. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and not having a subsciption. a) Have you ever suggested to your players that they would pay portion of a subscription fee so you would get access to more features/assets which they would get to benefit as your players? b) If you have suggested what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer! Ps. I hate it that we can't edit the thread name/header :)
Sure I will take your Suvey . 2. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and not havinga subsciption. a) Have you ever suggested to your players that they would pay portion of a subscription fee so you would get access to more features/assets which they would get to benefit as your players? Sort of; I had one player ask what's good about it, and when I explained he made a "hhmmmmmm" so I may have help one day. b) If you have suggested what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? I think the main feeling from my players is that we have only been using roll20 for a couple weeks now, and nobody is certain that we will stick with it yet. I am feeling optimistic though, I will buy a sub if we are still playing in a month or so.

Edited 1391791250
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
1. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and having a subsciption. a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? Yes. Im a bit old fashioned like that. hosting at home I also supplied snacks/drinks and such. I figure the old "I'm the host they are my guest, I should supply guests with things they want" b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? No, I pay for it by my own, if the players wish to sub they can. but do not expect/ask them to contribute towards mine. c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? N/A
1. a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? No. Although it was only relatively recently that I felt comfortable passing the hat around the group for donations.
a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? I did pay alone for Supporter 2 months ago or so, then got gifted a 1 year mentor subscription by a friend wo is also one player in my group, so technically my group does not pay I suppose as the 1 year thing was a gift outside of the game. b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? Yes. I told them I have these ongoing costs and that I think the amount of money would be a lot better if shared by 6 people instead of 1. c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? Mostly 'I do this for fun, I don't want to pay for it, thats ridiculous'. Not like most hobbies have some costs associated with them or anything *coughs* They did love that one of them got me the 1 year mentor though due to all the perks, so I guess I'll ask them again in 1 year...? Doubt they will go for it then. It feels odd, as in my area/place of the world it is traditional for the players to pay for food at real life tables which would be about as much as a shared mentor subscription especially if you include travel costs. Just feels entitled almost. Why not share ongoing costs of a hobby as a group, not like I would be asking them to pay for everything without adding my own slice to the money pot. Sorry, minirant over. :)
2. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and not having a subsciption. a) Have you ever suggested to your players that they would pay portion of a subscription fee so you would get access to more features/assets which they would get to benefit as your players? No . I am going to get a subscription once I'm done with a few personal issues, but I'm going to pay for it alone. I don't have a regular group of players to provide for and even if I had I would never ask them to help me pay the subscription. It is also a cultural thing. Where I'm from it is considered bad form to ask your guests to pay for something you provide for them and if they are strangers it's just unfathomably rude. I could see it happening if I had a group with my closest friends attending it. Then everyone would give a portion of the subscription, because it's a group activity between close friends, but with strangers on the internet? Ain't happening.
a) Have you ever suggested to your players that they would pay portion of a subscription fee so you would get access to more features/assets which they would get to benefit as your players? Nope! Nor would I. I don't GM a lot on roll20 as of yet, so i'll use a real life analogy. This winter, one of my players gave me a boxed set of maps/object tiles/buildings for scenarios. It was partially a gift, and partly "This might make our campaign easier/more fun". I have no problem accepting/using the gift. But it's not something I would have asked for; the moment it's asked for, it becomes a formal exchange and gets complicated. Don't need that noise.
Thanks a lot everyone for your answers! To the rest out there who hasn't "taken" the survey, please waste a few minutes to get your voice heard.
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have a subscription and pay it myself. I wouldn't ask others to pay. Just me.
Maetco said: 1. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and having a subsciption. a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? Yup b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? Nope Honestly the subscription model on Roll20, while about as fair as it can possibly be, has the same drawbacks that RL GMing has. In tabletop, the GM has to spend more time/energy, the GM has to own all the books, and the GM has to have more of a commitment to the game than anyone else. If a player flakes, you can NPC-robot him or just leave him in town. If the GM flakes, no game. On Roll20, the GM is the only one who needs the subscription to access the features. If a player is a subscriber and the GM is not, it doesn't do either of them any good. If the player buys the GM some subscription time and then decides he can't play or doesn't like him, he's out of pocket with no benefit. For now I just suck it up. I like my group much more than I dislike paying a subscription.
1. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and having a subsciption. a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? I intended to, but some of my players chip in occasionally. I don't ask them to, don't reward them for it(Though we all thank them for it), but they do it anyway. b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? Not really. While I wasn't sure about the upgrade to mentor one of my players codes/creates all sorts of nice stuff for us so I certainly feel it's worth while and thus I kind of take it on as my responsibility. Though the guys and gals do chip in from time to time it's a nice gesture. c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? Not much more than "Because I want to help out." It for significantly less than what I spend on liquor in a month I can have a neat interface to play the game. Really that's enough for me XD
a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? Yes b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? No, I considered to ask them if they wanted to subscirbe themselfs though. c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not?