Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Charactermancer Level Up Feedback Thread

Edited 1552061583
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Greetings! Here's the feedback thread for the Charactermancer Level Up ! Please read the Known Issues before posting, in case the issue you're encountering has already been logged. Known Issues (Updated Jan 15 2019) Charactermancer Level Up supports the SRD and PHB (with some notes below) and the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica. As announced in the Roadmap , Xanathar's Guide to Everything will be supported very shortly. We are now actively working on adding Volo's and Mordenkainen's to the Charactermancer. When you make a selection and click "Next," the selection is saved. If you go back and change the selection, it won't apply the change to. You'll have to exit out of the Charactermancer Level Up, selecting "Discard and Exit," and relaunch it to start over and make your new choice. If you level up a character and multiclass, then re-run the Charactermancer Level 1, the multiclass won't be removed completely. Its features and hit points will be removed, but Charactermancer Level Up will think you have the additional class for purposes of leveling. In the sheet's settings (gear icon), uncheck the additional classes before running Level Up. Selecting class features will not disable previous/current choices. Nothing will prevent you from selecting the same Fighting Style twice, for example. Choosing the same feature twice should have no effect on the sheet. You cannot replace class features (example: Eldritch Invocations, monk elemental disciplines) when leveling up. Previously chosen expertise proficiencies aren’t grayed out. Spell slots will not update on level up. You can temporarily fix this through the sheet settings (gear icon) by adding Spell Slot Modifiers.  (Fixed Jan 10) When multiclassing with more than one spellcasting class, the spell selector does not know which class uses which spell. Double check the spellcasting ability and class in the character sheet for each spell by going to the Spells tab and clicking the gear icon next to the spell. This also sometimes results in duplicate spells, such as when selecting a spell that you already get (like a domain spell) as a spell from the other spellcasting class. Hit points per level are not accounted for when calculating hp for hill dwarves and similar features that add hit points per level. Pre-requisites do not validate (except for level requirements on Eldritch Invocations and monk Elemental Disciplines) The optional rule Feats is not supported. However, you can drag and drop feats from the compendium onto your character sheet after completing the Charactermancer. Note that, for now, doing so doesn't mechanically change your character sheet; it just adds the item to your Features list on the character sheet. Level caps on classes haven't been implemented; you can have 20 levels in each class. The Review slide is not complete and a more informative version is coming in a future update. Leveling up a custom class is not supported. In addition, adding a multiclass to a custom class is not supported. If you don't own the Player's Handbook and only have access to the SRD, some class and racial features won't be applied by Level Up. While we think we've found all of them, if you find something that isn't being applied and isn't in the Known Issues lists, please comment in this thread with it, including whether you own the PHB or not. If your character sheet still has the default values of "10" in the ability scores, ability score increases will break. Fix this by entering an ability score in the character sheet (even if that value is "10"). (Fixed Jan 10) After multiclassing, rolling your hit dice for the additional classes will always roll a "d0." While waiting for the fix, please roll manually.  (Fixed Jan 10) Class-Specific Known Issues (Updated Jan 8 2019) Barbarian : Brutal Critical will not modify your attack rolls. Druid:  Circle of the Land : When selecting your circle spells at later levels, it will not remember your previous choice for land type and you will have to reselect it. Fighter:  Champion : Improved Critical and Superior Critical will not modify your attack rolls. Warlock:  Eldritch Invocations : Agonizing Blast, Eldritch Spear, Repelling Blast will not modify the spell roll.  Divine Spellcasters : The number of spells you can select and therefore prepare may be inaccurate due to domain and oath spells. You can drag and drop spells onto your character sheet after finishing to add them to the spells you might prepare after a long rest. Rogue: Expertise is not being applied to Thieves' Tools in either the Charactermancer Creator or Level Up. You can fix this after finishing Charactermancer by adding it to your tool proficiencies, clicking the gear icon next to it, and selecting "Expertise" for the proficiency level. (Fixed Jan 10)

Edited 1547018036
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported Elsewhere : Brian  said: As subject line [ "Charactermancer D&D 5e - Feats tab greyed out at level up for L4." ]. Come Level 4 I am unable to pick a Feat. Is there a global setting I missed for this optional rule?  Cheers Brian PS - I have PHB and Pro membership. This is addressed above, but I have copied this post here so I could close the original thread: The optional rule Feats is not supported. However, you can drag and drop feats from the compendium onto your character sheet after completing the Charactermancer. Note that, for now, doing so doesn't mechanically change your character sheet; it just adds the item to your Features list on the character sheet.

Edited 1547036939
All bugs below were found with the following setup  toon started as level 1 tiefling bard and then adding 6 bard and 2 warlock, made a level 1 bard with the updated creator and then went back in to level it up to 6 bard Spells that you know from  a racial trait are added to the known spell (good for being able to use them) You cant learn the spell if you are a spell caster (bad since you dont actually know the spell from  racial  trait ) aka tefling warlock wanting  Hellish Rebuke. Also: Not sure if just part of multi class leveling up at the same time or a bug with warlocks in general but Eldritch Invocations are not correctly checking p rerequisites, I can take  Book of Ancient Secrets even though i don't have  Pact of the Tome as a level 2 warlock.  There is a lot more eldritch invocations i can take even though i cant have them. Also: Spell slot calculations are broken, on leveling up for 1 to 8 I should have 3 bard cantrips and 2 warlock cantrips total. the level up system  lets me keep the ones I took at level 1 and and 5 more! Not sure if this is the same as the multi class spell issue in the main post, but my bard warlock is letting me take 5 new bard spells on this level up (correct) and 5 warlock spells (incorrect, should be 3 at level 2) will post more bugs when i find them! Thanks! Tom
More bugs! Found when leveling above toon to 14 lore bard 6 GOO warlock The drop down for expertise show the skills that i previously took for expertise twice. When doing a big jump like this magical secrets shows spells of the max level you can cast, not the spell limit that you would have for magical secrets. So my secrets for 10 and 14 both let me select 10th level spells. Bard has requires the spell to be a spell you could cast at that level. so 6th (lore) should be limited to 3rd. 10th (all bards) should be limited to 5th. 14th (all bards) should be limited to 7th. 18th (all bards) should be limited to 9th.  The cantrip level up bug in my previous post did not happen on this level up so it must just be from level 1. will post more bugs when i find them! Thanks! Tom
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Tom! Thanks for the bug reports! The spell slots not being updated  and the prerequisites not validating are both in the Known Issues list, but it's good to know they're still issues even after yesterday's hotfix.  I'll be sure to note the issues with multiclass spellcasting. Reworking the spell selector to better support multiple spell sources (classes, races, backgrounds) is something scheduled for the next major work on the Charactermancer, but it probably won't be completed until after Xanathar's goes out.
i can only see stuff from PHB and nothing from my other books 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Please see notes in top post above: Charactermancer Level Up supports the SRD and PHB (with some notes below) and the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica. As announced in the  Roadmap , Xanathar's Guide to Everything will be supported very shortly. We are now actively working on adding Volo's and Mordenkainen's to the Charactermancer. The only thing you should see outside of the PHB (and SRD) is Ravnica. Is that a book you own? If so and options from it are not appearing, let us know.
Was playing with leveling up a paladin. I went straight from Level 1 to 8 and was told I could select 7 new spells, after selecting this number then the rest of the spells were grayed out. Paladins should have the full spell list available, and be able to prepare (1/2 level + Cha mod) spells plus domain spells.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Jethro! Thanks for your feedback. With prepared spellcasters (paladins, druids, clerics-- anything with access to the full spell list), we advise that you select the spells you have prepared for the first day you use that spellcaster, and then drag/drop any additional spells as you go through your adventures. If you drag every single spell available onto your character sheet, it will bog down your game. So for performance reasons, we made the decision when first coding the Charactermancer to set it up to prepare some of your spells, and of course you can always add more through drag-and-drop.

Edited 1547148808
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone! We just pushed a hotfix live that fixes some small, but important issues: Thieves' Tools and Sleight of Hand can now get expertise correctly. Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster now update spell slots properly multiclass spell slots now update properly multiclass hit dice no longer roll d0. starting Level Up with default 10 in attributes will no longer break ability score increases I've updated the Known Issues list as well.

Edited 1547217751
Found a bug trying to level up a Fighter Battle Master to level 20. It didn't pick up when extra manuvers came in to play. And also when picking backround of Pirate it didn't let me pick a proficency. It also didn't pick up the extra superiority dice or the change in the die type d8,d10,d12 when it came up. 

Edited 1547254522
A few NaN (not a number for non nerds) bugs when playing with building a skill monkey&nbsp; In some attack fields and in the after leveling box final level for bard was 10 in this build, hope it helps track down the bugs Dont know why the images did not show... need moderator approval maybe? have a imgur link if they never show up. <a href="https://imgur.com/a/ljjealZ" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/ljjealZ</a>
My group found this weird thing out when multiclassing. We leveled up a multi fighter/barbarian. only leveling up the fighter level. it appeared to my group member that it was unleveling his barbarian, to increase his fighter. When we applied changes, all was fine. however, it still appeared as if it is something weird going on.&nbsp;
Stephanie B. said: Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster now update spell slots properly It looks like Arcane Trickster spell slots/selection are still not leveling up correctly.
Hello, I don't see the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica features, like the new Race, is it normal ?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Kanard! You will only see Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica features if you own the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica expansion, or if your GM owns it and has turned on compendium sharing. Do either of those apply? If you do own GGTR and don't see the Ravnica races, please comment back here so we can try to troubleshoot the issue.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, all! We've updated the Charactermancer Creator and Level Up today to support Xanathar's Guide to Everything. The release notes are&nbsp; here .
so when i make a multi class character it doesnt separate the 2 classes for hit dice heals. It just has the number of levels total. It does ask you which you want to use but it doesnt tell you how many you have of each
So any idea on how long till volvos is in the Charactermancer?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Charactermancer Level Up supports the SRD and PHB (with some notes below) and the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica. As announced in the&nbsp; Roadmap , Xanathar's Guide to Everything will be supported very shortly. We are now actively working on adding Volo's and Mordenkainen's to the Charactermancer.
Hey everyone. We are experiencing a bug with the Charactermancer. Its specifically when we try to level a paladin to lvl 6. It gets stuck on 90%, and wont finish. Have tried it on three different computers, with different races, builds, etc. But it always happens. Can reproduce the error every time.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks, Ken. We'll take a look at it.&nbsp;
Stephanie B. said: Thanks, Ken. We'll take a look at it.&nbsp; I have both Xanathars guide to everything and the PHB in my compendium if that is something you need to know.

Edited 1547753389
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ken L. &nbsp;said: I have both Xanathars guide to everything and the PHB in my compendium if that is something you need to know. We pushed a hotfix this morning to the character sheet that should have fixed the issue. If not, please comment back here so we can continue to troubleshoot.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
I've encountered a bug where the Warlock has the option of picking 5 cantrips instead of the appropriate 2 for level 2. Additionally, one of those 5 cantrip slots where occupied by a cantrip gained from a racial trait like Drow Magic. Speaking of Drow Magic, leveling up your character doesn't add spells unlocked by your race at character level 3 and 5.Only spells gained at 1st level are added to the character sheet through the charactermancer. Worth noting: these bugs was discovered on a rogue 7/Warlock 2 mulitclass with access to both the PHB and XGE (Swashbuckler and Hexblade).
I purchased the Xanathar book recently but do not see the new options integrated with the Charactermancer when creating a new character, only the PHB options.&nbsp; Am I missing something?&nbsp; Thanks!
Sr. K
Pro
Sheet Author
Danny V. said: I purchased the Xanathar book recently but do not see the new options integrated with the Charactermancer when creating a new character, only the PHB options.&nbsp; Am I missing something?&nbsp; Thanks! Most of Xanathar options are for class specializations that you choose on 2nd and 3rd level, try to level up your characters. It works for me.

Edited 1547924452
I just created a 20th level Cleric with the PHB Charactermancer. Its final 2 features have inverted the rules text with the title text. I'm not able to snap a screenshot, but essentially the feature is called&nbsp; Holding an object as you meditate, you can see visions of the object’s previous owner. After meditating for 1 minute, you learn how the owner acquired and lost the object, as well as the most recent significant event involving the object and that owner. If the object was owned by another creature in the recent past (within a number of days equal to your Wisdom score), you can spend 1 additional minute for each owner to learn the same information about that creature and the effect is "Visions of the Past: Area Reading," rather than vice-versa.
For some reason the Charactermancer always adds .13 to initiative. If you fix it at creation, and then level up it adds it back.
Sr. K
Pro
Sheet Author
Reaver01 said: For some reason the Charactermancer always adds .13 to initiative. If you fix it at creation, and then level up it adds it back. Are you using the dex tiebreaker option?
I cant edit my character sheets level directly after using this character level up feature and then going back and deciding not to use it. Nothing happens when I click the class/level box. Its like the cursor is stuck in the exp section of the character sheet
I had a issue with charactermancer pop up twice. I don't know if this only affects sorcerers but when you "Launch Level 1 Charactermancer" and then recreate a made character, the auto spell counter seems to get bugged. So say you have a level 2 sorcerer. "Launch Level 1 Charactermancer" to rebuild it and then level it back up to 2. It will have level 1 spell slots. Normally when you cast it reduces the spell slots so cast a level 1 magic missile it should say "2 of 3 remaining". But the bug causes it to always say "All slots expended". I believe this was caused by resetting the character sheet though "Launch Level 1 Charactermancer", as both of the times this bug occured to me i had used it to reset my character. But I did another one without resetting and it did not have this problem. There seems to be another issue as well In which if you choose a race and "Launch Level 1 Charactermancer" the racial stat boosts stay. For example if you picked a half elf, and then later reset and picked Tiefling and then put 15 as your Charisma, it should go up to 17 Charisma but it also adds the Half Elf modifier making it 19 Charisma.
Regarding the above (I GM for Zerostorm), the issue seems to be keyed to the character name. It may sound crazy, but for some reason the name "Icarus" seems to mess up spell tracking for the sorcerer. We tried several solutions, including "Icarus test" and completely different names like "sample character," and "Icarus ..."&nbsp; All of the above worked except the name "Icarus." We have no idea why. For now we're just misspelling the name and it works fine.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Is there a second journal named "Icarus" somewhere? Hidden in a folder?
I would also check that there isn't a space in the character's name. "Icarus " is a different character than "Icaraus"
I just used the charactermancer a couple of minutes ago to level my Tiefling Bard from level 3 to level 4, I had the character sheet in a popped out window if that matters. I increased two ability scores from odd to even scores. When I finished the level up the ability scores updated correctly but the modifiers did not, so for example Spell DC didn't update correctly. I had to readjust my ability scores manually to update the modifiers.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I believe that keeping the window "popped in" is still an essential part of Characetrmancer in General. From the Base Charactermancer thread list : Charactermancer Creator does not work well (or often at all) when used in a popped-out sheet. Support for popped-out sheets will be coming.
Backgrounds do not appear to be generating starting gold. Whenever a character background is selected (eg. sage, which has a belt pouch containing 10 gold), the charactermancer lists the equipment as a belt pouch without including the gold. It appears that the gold in the equipment list is updated from blank to "0"&nbsp; but otherwise gold is omitted. Is this intended?

Edited 1548387665
Apparent bug with one of my player's rogue. She attempted to use the charactermancer to level it up from 1 to 2, but it appears as though its not recognizing her levels\class. When she or I open the "level" tab there is a drop down where there should be her class and then the blank class features and subclass features section. this then repeats four times. I created a new character sheet to compare it the settings I can fiddle with and I see no differences.
Hi,&nbsp; first of all thanks, this sheet and autoleveling is exactly what we where searching for... Still my group is evaluating various virtual tabletops. I root for roll20 for what I've seen of the sheet, my GM prefers some other. Price is gonna be the tie breaker in my opinion... So I got only one question: is it enough if the GM buys the various books for all the players in the party to use those features with the&nbsp;Charactermancer in his campaigns? Does it work also with the free accounts or does the GM need to be at least plus or pro?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Only the creator of the game (not necessarily the same as a gm) needs to purchase. It works at any level of membership, though with increasing subscription levels, you can share in more games and with a larger number of player in those games. Compendium Sharing
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Dropping in with a quick note: The lead developer on Charactermancer did an interview this week, which is now&nbsp; on the blog .&nbsp;
When you enter traits, ideals, bonds and flaws in the Charactermancer for a Custom Background it fails to apply them to the sheet.
Also when using the Charactermancer, bio details are not carried over to the character sheet.
And Charactermancer "Building Character Sheet" bar doesn't complete. Need to close and reopen to see sheet.

Edited 1548460783
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Mike! Those are not known issues with the Charactermancer Creator under regular use, but we have experienced similar issues, especially with it not finishing, when the character window is popped out. Are you using the charactermancer in a popped-out window? Does this happen with all characters, or just some? Does it happen when you make a character without using custom fields (just to eliminate that as a possible issue)?

Edited 1549599693
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Bard Level-up: Lore Bard 6th level feature (Additional spells) does not work - the button is inactive and doesn't allow spell selection from other spell lists. Additionally: as a custom race, unable to select a feat instead of stat increase at level 4 with Bard.&nbsp;
TheWhiteWolves
KS Backer
API Scripter
During Warlock Level-Up, The Book of Ancient Secrets and Pact of the Tome spell selection features are no longer working. These worked fine a couple days ago but now no longer open the spell section windows.

Edited 1549937042
JK
Plus
Charactermancer activated in 5E when I was just trying to level up a Druid from 2nd to 3rd. Charactermancer is now the default setting, and none of the buttons (Opt Out, Next, or Back to Top) have any effect. I am trying to upload a screen shot of the window here in the forum but that is getting hung up as well.
Jonathan K. said: Charactermancer activated in 5E when I was just trying to level up a Druid from 2nd to 3rd. Charactermancer is now the default setting, and none of the buttons (Opt Out, Next, or Back to Top) have any effect. I am trying to upload a screen shot of the window here in the forum but that is getting hung up as well. Are you in a browser or on a tablet?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Is it possible to duplicate the character and try leveling the duplicate? As for uploading a graphic, try uploading to a service like Imgur. You can either post the link here, or get the direct link from there and use the place URL command from the image insertion button here.