Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[WOTC] Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus Bug Thread

Edited 1570644084
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Thank you for purchasing Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus ! Quick Guide Accessing your content Module Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus is a module . To create a new game based off of the module, click on the Start New Game option from the site menu. The column on the right hand side of the page is titled Optional: Choose a Module. Underneath this are thumbnail tiles for all the various Roll20 modules that are available. For the ones you have purchased, mousing over the thumbnail will make a check mark icon appear over the thumbnail tile. Clicking on the tile will select this module to be used as the base for this new game. Compendium You can access all of the Descent into Avernus items and monsters in the in-app compendium , as well as on the Roll20 web compendium . Art Pack You can access the Character Art Pack under the Premium Assets section of the Art Library in-app. These assets are only available for in-app use. Which Character Sheet should I use? All Wizards of the Coast licensed content on Roll20 uses the D&D 5E by Roll20 sheet. Bug Reporting Guide To help us find the best solution to any issues that may occur with your purchased content, please fill out as many of the following as are applicable when making a report: A short, detailed description of the problem What is the issue, How is it affecting your game, What is happening, What should happen? Clear and concise information is the most helpful in seeking out solutions Copy-paste any error codes received Include screenshots of the issue  Resolved Issues Release was delayed on preordered modules due to a bundle issue, resolved 9/17/19 Game image now loads for new games, resolved 9/18/19 Secret door icons added to Under the Villa map (Patch 1.1) Updated map measurements for Baldur's Gate map (Patch 1.1) Added Will Doyle to Wizards of the Coast credits (Patch 1.1) Fixed minor formatting inconsistencies (Patch 1.1) Diagram images added (Patch 1.1) Adjusted spellcaster character sheets to better represent spell choice (Patch 1.2) Adjusted all character sheets to auto roll damage and crits (Patch 1.2) Added human stat block for Thavius Kreeg (Patch 1.2)
A short, detailed description of the problem -I had the pre-order, still cant access it.Cant neither see or access the bundle,nor create the game. What  is the issue,  How  is it affecting your game,  What  is happening, What  should  happen? -Issue i want to create a game and study the materials.Nothing is happening(simply no access).I should have access i guess?
Having exact same problem.
Also same
Same issue as EndofAllHope. Game owned, not appearing in module options to choose when creating a new game. Acts like I still need to buy it.
Likewise.
Same problem as EndOf
Ditto
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Hi all, sorry for the delay! Devs are looking into this as I type and we should have a fix for you soon.
Having the same problem. Thanks for looking into it!
same problem as everyone else
Same issue. Cannot start a new game with the module.
Same issue
Same issue
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Thank you all for reporting, this issue should now be fixed. Please let me know if you have any other troubles accessing Descent into Avernus and I hope you all enjoy playing!
Uh, this isn't bug report, but wasn't sure where to ask this: So uh, this module also has same map style as Mad Mage's Dungeon did? (aka just white boxes that look like old school D&D maps) Thats... Kind of bummer that Wizard of the Coast has decided to go for this style for foreseeable future. The other 5e adventure books had maps that look good in roll20
Created a new game, however there is no banner image for the game as normal with other hardcovers.  Is this intentional or a bug?  
Also JJL, some of the maps are in the Salt Marsh style (not fully colored/detailed maps like before), they are a bit nicer than the DMM maps, closer to the Salt Marsh style, although there are some fully illustrated maps, but are more "reference" pages, like city maps or areas, but for actual "dungeon" maps are the "hand drawn" style.  I share your disappointment in this change in direction :(
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Julian - the banner image should now appear for new games! Thank you for the report!
Julian said: Also JJL, some of the maps are in the Salt Marsh style (not fully colored/detailed maps like before), they are a bit nicer than the DMM maps, closer to the Salt Marsh style, although there are some fully illustrated maps, but are more "reference" pages, like city maps or areas, but for actual "dungeon" maps are the "hand drawn" style.  I share your disappointment in this change in direction :( Yeah...the new maps kinda blow. It's not very exciting for players to see when they enter Hell...and it's a B&W sketch I could have made on graph paper. Especially considering the $60 price tag. Did they even do any market research on this new direction? Anyways....just wanted to report the game banner in the game forum is a blank box.
Ashton said: Julian - the banner image should now appear for new games! Thank you for the report! Yep!  Looks all fixed, thanks!
No big deal as I'm still about 3 months of ToA before I start this but the maps don't seem to be scaled as it says they are... unless BG is MUCH smaller than I thought.
Can anyone find Diagram 1.1?   In Chapter 1 under "running this chapter" it says Diagram 1.1 is a flowchart that presents the key events of this chapter in sequence.
Dark Galaxies Gaming said: Julian said: Also JJL, some of the maps are in the Salt Marsh style (not fully colored/detailed maps like before), they are a bit nicer than the DMM maps, closer to the Salt Marsh style, although there are some fully illustrated maps, but are more "reference" pages, like city maps or areas, but for actual "dungeon" maps are the "hand drawn" style.  I share your disappointment in this change in direction :( Yeah...the new maps kinda blow. It's not very exciting for players to see when they enter Hell...and it's a B&W sketch I could have made on graph paper. Especially considering the $60 price tag. Did they even do any market research on this new direction? Roll20 have to work with whatever Wizards of the Coast give them. You have to assume WotC are well aware that the Dyson Logo's sketch maps are not as popular as the Blando/Schley colorful maps of the pre-Waterdeep modules for VTT use. I think they have actively chosen tabletop players (who are more inclined towards the hand-drawn style to marry up with their own sketches on graph paper) over those using VTT's. They have definitely had enough feedback by now to make a considered choice. The disappointing thing is that WotC either won't work with, or actively block, map makers like Heroic Maps, from offering up high-quality alternatives for these modules.
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Nick S. - It's a town for ants! Thank you for the report, I'll put that on our list for patch 1.1. I hope you're enjoying ToA! Everett - Diagram 1.1 is represented in the text of "Running this Chapter" in the Introduction: A Tale of Two Cities handout. The same is true for every following diagram. Sorry for the confusion! I'll remove those references in patch 1.1.
Ashton said: Everett - Diagram 1.1 is represented in the text of "Running this Chapter" in the Introduction: A Tale of Two Cities handout. The same is true for every following diagram. Sorry for the confusion! I'll remove those references in patch 1.1. So, just to check, we won't have access to the diagrams in the adventure?  I'm asking because I'm a pretty visual person and the diagrams help me understand the flow of potential deviating paths without me having to diagram it myself. 
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Everett - Great point! While most of these diagrams are linear I'll make sure they get added to the module with patch 1.1.
Jase said: Dark Galaxies Gaming said: Julian said: Also JJL, some of the maps are in the Salt Marsh style (not fully colored/detailed maps like before), they are a bit nicer than the DMM maps, closer to the Salt Marsh style, although there are some fully illustrated maps, but are more "reference" pages, like city maps or areas, but for actual "dungeon" maps are the "hand drawn" style.  I share your disappointment in this change in direction :( Yeah...the new maps kinda blow. It's not very exciting for players to see when they enter Hell...and it's a B&W sketch I could have made on graph paper. Especially considering the $60 price tag. Did they even do any market research on this new direction? Roll20 have to work with whatever Wizards of the Coast give them. You have to assume WotC are well aware that the Dyson Logo's sketch maps are not as popular as the Blando/Schley colorful maps of the pre-Waterdeep modules for VTT use. I think they have actively chosen tabletop players (who are more inclined towards the hand-drawn style to marry up with their own sketches on graph paper) over those using VTT's. They have definitely had enough feedback by now to make a considered choice. The disappointing thing is that WotC either won't work with, or actively block, map makers like Heroic Maps, from offering up high-quality alternatives for these modules. Oh, I don't blame Roll20. I just hate the direction WotC has chosen. A DM can just as easily make a outline sketch of the detailed/colored maps as they can the B&W maps. They have been doing it for 5 years. And having the details in the map help a lot with understanding the enviroment. There are times tools or devices I've never heard of are referenced and can look at the room and know what it is in the old maps. The new maps...are just big empty white spaces with nothing to reference. SPOILER ALERT BELOW FOR TOMB OF ANNIHILATION One of the most iconic moments in a campaign I've run is when the party opens the skeleton gate on the last floor of the Tomb of Annihilation and they see the Atropal for the first time. The simultaneous gasps of "OMG, what is that?" and hint of fear and curiosity is amazing. If ToA had been made this year...the Atropal would have been a circle with a star in it sitting in a blank room. That is such a sad thought. And it makes me wonder what kind of moments were robbed from the last three books. What cool hellish visual did we not experience....so that some DMs can trace with graph paper a little bit easier? :/ At the very least, I wish they would sell some deluxe digital and print maps for those who want the details.
Ashton said: Everett - Great point! While most of these diagrams are linear I'll make sure they get added to the module with patch 1.1. Thank you so much, that would be fantastic!
I came to also ask about the flowcharts but I see they are already being added in the next patch, that's great thank you.
I can't believe these are the actual battlemaps.  They look like pregenerated 10 minute maps from davesmapper.  I feel embarrassed to show this to my players...
Secret doors on the "Under the Villa" map are missing.    

Edited 1569263525
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Hi everyone! We understand that the maps included in Descent may not fit into everyone's preferences. It is important in these cases to make sure you contact Wizards of the Coast directly with your feedback. You can find that feedback form here: Link That said, criticism of the maps is certainly allowed, but when it devolves into insulting towards the artists and creators we will have to remove such posts. Please keep our Code of Conduct in mind and lets keep the conversation civil. Thanks!
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Patch 1.1 Secret door icons added to Under the Villa map Updated map measurements for Baldur's Gate map Added Will Doyle to Wizards of the Coast credits Fixed minor formatting inconsistencies Diagram images added
Should the commoner tokens be multi-sided like they were in Dragon Heist?
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Hi there Trey, we didn't feel there was enough background art of unnamed humanoids to share amongst the NPCs in the game to include a rollable token. You can find all of the unnamed humanoid art in the Character Art Pack, however!
Thanks for the reply.  This is only the 2nd campaign module I've purchased in Roll20 and my expectations were based on Dragon Heist.  It was just nice to be able to have a quick option to make a set of commoners not all look the same, and it jumped out at me when I was reviewing the "Elfsong Tavern" map.
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
I agree completely, Trey, and thank you for the feedback! I'll make sure the production team keeps this use in mind as we work on future projects.
Most notably was the token for Tarina.  While not a major NPC, the module describes her as a female human, using the bandit stats, and the token was just straight up the default one for bandit, with what appears to be a male dwarf.   Then again dwarven beards can be confusing... ;)
I'm having difficulties with the Baldur's Bones Macro. Works great for initial roll, but roll again seems to be broken. Worked for one roll, enter previous result and adds 1d6 for subsequent roll, but instead it just outputs the value you entered and says to see Baldur's bones for more info. For example mags rolls 10 on first roll. for roll again they enter 10 in the query box, output says mags rolled 10 see baldur's bones for more info. Though maybe the macro got changed somehow as it worked the first time, so i created a new game to copy and paste the original macro, but same problem occurred. Any help would be greatly appreciated 
A good few character sheets are still open for editing when opening for the first time. In addition, unlike previous modules, the sheets are not set to 'auto roll damage and crit' like they usually have been. In addition, some of the sheets do not have their innate spellcasting in roll20's modular spellcasting section. I am having trouble recalling the specific ones, but the most prominent is Bel, who has an entirely blank spellcasting area. Duke Thalamra Vanthampur's Hellish Rebuke is a reaction, but reactions are not rollable, meaning you have to type out her reaction every time as it isn't able to be automatically rolled.
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Matthew - Hi there, we think we've figured out the cause of the error. Could you please copy+paste the relevant code from the Rollable Tables & Macros handout into a newly created macro, save, and attempt to roll again by clicking the die in the sidebar (rather than using the test roll)? This seems to be an issue with the text editor replacing HTML character tags, so once you have copy+pasted the macro try not to re-open and/or re-save it. Please let me know if this works for you, and I'll get a ticket in for a long-term fix! Innkeeper - I'll make a note to do a pass on NPCs for patch 1.2. You're correct in noting that reactions are not rollable in the Roll20 5e character sheet, so I will look into whether we can make a rollable workaround for Duke Thalamra. Thank you for the report!

Edited 1569959849
Not sure if it's a bug... but it seems like the Baldur's Gate map is missing a lot of details. The Gazette says locations are marked on the map but only the main locations are labeled. None of the fluff locations are listed.
This is less of a bug and more of a notification for a patch. Some character sheets are incomplete and/or have hyperlinking issues. Krull, for example, is supposed to be a "Death-Domain Tortle Cleric" according to the creators, but the sheet lacks any spells. The Monument of Tiamat is also formatted as [Monument of Tiamat] in his bio. I'm sure he's not the only character who needs to be completed, but I don't have a physical copy to fill in the blanks myself, so hopefully my party won't be dealing with any incomplete characters before a patch : )
Ragnar Dragonfyre said: Not sure if it's a bug... but it seems like the Baldur's Gate map is missing a lot of details. The Gazette says locations are marked on the map but only the main locations are labeled. None of the fluff locations are listed. You're probably looking for a large version of the detailed map at the top of the Gazetteer "City Landmarks" section.  In the printed book, this is a two page spread.  Would be nice to have a larger version in Roll20.
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Hi there Ragnar and Trey, I believe you're referring to the map labelled "Baldur's Gate". Please note that there is also a map called "Baldur's Gate Environs" that is an expanded version of that map with more location detail. Jake, thank you for the report! I will ask for a full NPC sweep for Patch 1.2.
Might be missing something, but is the NPC Thavius Kreeg ( Under the Villa , V36) meant to have a separate statblock from his Amnizu fiend form found in Chapter 3?  The handout doesn't state as such, but presumes that the players can kill him to send him to Avernus. Would he have a commoner statblock when alive in the Under the Villa battlemap? 
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Wunder - you're correct, and I'll screenshot that here for your use. I will ensure we fix this issue with patch 1.2, and thank you for your report!  

Edited 1570142945
Just checking, but are NPCs suppose to have their "Auto Damage Roll" set to "Don't Auto Roll Damage"?   And is there a way to globally toggle this to "Always Roll Damage & Crit" ? Changing it on the "Game Settings" page outside the game doesn't seem to apply it to the NPCs.
Alex Winters
Marketplace Creator
Trey B. said: Just checking, but are NPCs suppose to have their "Auto Damage Roll" set to "Don't Auto Roll Damage"?   And is there a way to globally toggle this to "Always Roll Damage & Crit" ? Changing it on the "Game Settings" page outside the game doesn't seem to apply it to the NPCs. You can apply changes to the Game Settings page to pre-existing NPCs/tokens in a campaign by changing it in the settings, then launching the game, navigating to My Settings, scrolling to Experimental Settings at the bottom, and selecting Apply Default Settings. You will be presented with a list of checkboxes for each Game Setting you have switched from the default (which means sometimes you have to change it then change it back to get it to show here, if the original setting is what you wanted applied to NPCs)