Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Zoom Tool Update Bug Report Thread

Edited 1572993518
Juniper L.
Roll20 Team
This is the official bug report thread for the update to the zoom tool , with changes to how the tool behaves on the tabletop and user-interface. Posted here is the text from the announcement made earlier today: The Zoom Tool This update improves how zooming and panning work on the VTT! Removed the zoom slider in the top right corner of the VTT. Zoom buttons for + and - are now available in the bottom right corner of the VTT. These are also available through keyboard shortcuts (+ and - on your keyboard) Fixed a bug in Firefox where the zoom tool on the toolbar didn't allow you to select a zoom level. Redesigned how the zoom and pan tools work with the scrollwheel on a mouse (see below!) How it Works Zoom Default Focus The biggest change is that the zoom tool will center on wherever your pointer is on the tabletop when you zoom in or out. Scroll Wheel Zoom The scroll wheel now controls the zoom level by default. This is a more common interface for navigating maps today, and we wanted to emulate that behavior. Each mouse wheel "click" zooms by 5%, allowing finer control over your zoom. To pan the tabletop, you can still right-click and drag the view around, but now that can be done on all Toolbox tools. There's also a little notification that pops up to remind you of the new scroll wheel behavior. It shows up the first time you use the scroll wheel in a session for about 30 seconds. It can be dismissed manually, and saves a cookie to prevent it from coming back until your next session. As we continue developing this part of the UI, we intend to phase that notification out. It's also on the live server this week to let everyone know the Zoom tool is changing soon. Toolbar Zoom On the toolbar, you can now select a zoom percentage in increments of 10%, from 10% to 250%. Zoom Buttons and Shortcut Keys We took out the clunky zoom slider in the upper right corner of the tabletop, and moved to the more common plus and minus buttons, now located in the lower right corner of the tabletop. These button are also accessible using the + and - keys as keyboard shortcuts. Legacy Option If you really don't like the scroll wheel zoom option, and still want it to pan, you can change that in the game settings tab. Related Suggestions We looked at a lot of suggestions for this enhancement, and did a lot of research into current user interface design practices for zooming on a map. Here are a few of the suggestions we considered when making this update: Zoom Enhancements Better Zoom Control Hot Key for Zoom in/out Smoother Zoom Mouse Wheel Zoom Feedback Welcome We tested this internally and on the Development Server before bringing it to the rest of Roll20. If you have feedback on the new zoom and pan tools, please post them in this thread. Known Issues (Nov. 5th, 2019): +/- keys pressed anywhere alter zoom (prevents editing of token bubbles, etc.)   Fix pushed 1:55 PST Nov 5, 2019
This appears to have completely broken horizontal trackpad scrolling on a macbook. I can't scroll left or right with two fingers, regardless of whether I have the alt key pressed, in either the new mode (i.e. with the alt key down) or the legacy mode (i.e. with the alt key up). 

Edited 1572977473
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Trying to adjust token HP bubbles using math now zooms the map due to the +/- shortcuts. This is very inconvenient.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sorry for the bad report, but: 1) Zooming is  much  choppier than second-release dev version. It seems to want to redraw graphics as a separate step. 2) Focal point of zoom is still not cursor-centered and therefore non-intuitive. This actually got  less  polished on the final release. Can we be expecting feedback and further fine tuning?
It seems as if more is broken, as of a view minutes ago the PF2 Character sheets are broken, too.
Even when disabled using the legacy option those of us using trackpads are unable to pan around the screen without using the panning hand. Extremely uncomfortable to use.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Sorry to hear about the trouble with Trackpads. We've been testing on Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra. Can you share your Operating System, Browser, and hardware (external/internal trackpad? brand? model?) We're working on the resolution for +/- hotkeys triggering editing the items in the radial menu.
not being able to type negative values into the HP bubble is a real pain can you change the - key coding for the new zoom function to something else?

Edited 1572980366
As the first comment, my horizontal scroll is broken. I cannot scroll left-right with two fingers, or with horizontal scroll buttons. This occurs regardless of legacy setting or alt key state.  I am using a windows surface (windows 10) and the built in trackpad. However, as far as I can tell, this not due to an inherent issue with trackpads, but rather that the page does not have a side-to-side scroll bar/state. I believe this due to the multiple people having this issue, and the side-to-side scroll buttons on my mouse not working either. 
macr05s said: not being able to type negative values into the HP bubble is a real pain can you change the - key coding for the new zoom function to something else? I can confirm this, cannot subtract HP from the hp bubble.
Loren the GM said: Trying to adjust token HP bubbles using math now zooms the map due to the +/- shortcuts. This is very inconvenient. Same here.
keithcurtis said: Sorry for the bad report, but: 1) Zooming is  much  choppier than second-release dev version. It seems to want to redraw graphics as a separate step. 2) Focal point of zoom is still not cursor-centered and therefore non-intuitive. This actually got  less  polished on the final release. Can we be expecting feedback and further fine tuning? ^This^ The mouse focal point/choppiness is actually very displeasing to the eye. This is unsettling enough to the eye/brain to make me not want to use the site at all. Please fix with all possible haste. Glad the +/- hotkey issue will be fixed.  I do prefer the zoom on the wheel and RMB to pan. I am glad for the change, but as with so many updates here, execution is clunky. 
this is absolutely horrible are you trying to drive us to fantasy grounds  i want the slide bar back   this update TOTALLY SUCKS ASS     i will most likely stop DMing here if not quit all my games too   THIS IS THE DUMBEST THING you guys have added at least give the non handicapped  people the option to keep it the way it was  HOPE TO STAY ON ROLL20 but guess we will see
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It turns out that scroll breaks once your mouse cursor enters the Token Action bar. I must move my mouse to the side of the bar to resume scrolling. This is not necessarily broken, but unexpected behavior, since the scroll wheel has no function in that area otherwise. This behavior is also true in the Macro QuickBar area below. Further, a right-click pan stops operating while the cursor is in these areas, even if it began outside. This make it difficult to pan up and down by any sizable amount. 
I mean i like the scroll wheel but the +/- is so bad decision. i cant edit HP on tokens
Danii said: Loren the GM said: Trying to adjust token HP bubbles using math now zooms the map due to the +/- shortcuts. This is very inconvenient. Same here. Literally the same issue, just tie it to page up or page down, so yano you don't hog up one of the most frequently used buttons. Also for the love of god any trackpad or non desktop device can't move because it doesn't have a default right click mode.  Have you even remotely though about making the long press on the screen to be the 'right click' for the non PC devices?
Wow, i almost never write here, but this is a really bad update. Adjusting HP with Math is broken Zooming is increadibly choppy with recurring redraws of the whole map Navigating on large maps becomes less intuitive somehow
As many others have reported, the scrolling function and the token value adjustments are no longer functioning properly after this update. This is an incredibly huge deal. This makes creating maps a thousand times harder, and makes running battles in campaigns nearly impossible. Everything about the new zoom and pan is choppy and not intuitive. I was supposed to have a campaign tomorrow, and now I may not be able to. This needs to be taken seriously and rolled back.
I'm having the same extreme choppiness issue others are.  It's bad enough to give me mild nausea if I zoom too much too quickly.
As other have said, this is far more hurtful than it is helpful.
Even after turning on  the legacy mode my side scrolling is broken, I can no longer scroll from left to right and the zoom is absolutely awful. Also not every one uses a mouse, I have a chronic condition that gives me wrist pain, I use my track pad and a trackball mouse in order to manage my condition, next time please remember not everyone uses scroll wheels.
Others have highlighted the main problems. No scroll bars for panning; ugly, jerky zooming and an inabilty to change token values easily.  This is the only time I've ever felt the need to complain about any interface update for any product I've ever used. It's that bad. I have been a paying member of roll 20 for nearly two years and run my campaign here, but if these issues continue we will be moving elsewhere. Please, please undo this change. 
While others have illustrated the problems quite well, I would also like to state that this very much feels like one step forward two steps back,  hoping for a fix soon.
Yeah this is definitely worse. Its choppy and refuses to scroll where I want it to. At least allow the legacy opt out feature to actually use the old version while you work on this new one. 
As a track pad user this update has made scrolling around maps basically impossible. I'm hoping there will at least be an option to turn on the old system for scrolling around maps.
At least  re-add the scroll bar to the legacy options; it was way easier and more intuitive to use than the new change; honestly this new zoom absolutely sucks. I might cancel my subscription with all the not well thought out changes that are being made to the app. Especially because it feels like you don't consult the user-base first.
Even just on the basic use case of accessibility, I'm not sure how anyone thought removing the scroll bars was a good idea.
Need an update, +/- not working on tokens is incredibly frustrating.  Zoom is choppy and un-intuitive.
Glenn L. said: This appears to have completely broken horizontal trackpad scrolling on a macbook. I can't scroll left or right with two fingers, regardless of whether I have the alt key pressed, in either the new mode (i.e. with the alt key down) or the legacy mode (i.e. with the alt key up).  Can confirm. Broken on Chromebook as well. This makes scrolling an absolute nightmare.
The Gnome Overlord said: As a track pad user this update has made scrolling around maps basically impossible. I'm hoping there will at least be an option to turn on the old system for scrolling around maps. EXACTLY! Dynamic Lighting - Destroyed 10 months ago and not yet reached anything like the same functionality Other bugs and issues introduced - and now the pinnacle - use of maps of any useful size is now impossible!
Breaks mouse gestures on Vivaldi. Back to legacy settings for me.
hope this stuff is fixed by my game Thursday.  We were just starting to use Roll20 and starting to get use to it.  Would hate for my players to have a bad experience after a 2wk break. Desktop windows10/chrome Same issues others have reported; +/- not working, and scrolling is choppy That said, I do very much prefer the idea of scroll=zoom rather than just scrolling up and down.  Just need to refine a bit.
I don't consider this a bug, but as this is the catch-all for feedback, I thought I'd post here.  I find the new zoom feature unwieldy at best.  I tried to revert with the legacy option, but it didn't seem to do anything?
Scroll bar top right and the bottom one as well as fixing the huge bubble problem, legacy check box needs to undo All these new changes not just the mouse scroll. Tom
As a user who both runs games and plays in them on this website, I must say that I don't feel I can do either effectively with these changes.I have tried experimenting with the new control scheme and with legacy controls, but they really have just gutted the features I used. I would like to see scroll bars be reimplemented, and I would appreciate having the zoom slider back, particularly for working on maps with a fine level of detail. Panning on maps has always felt laggy and unresponsive, and I avoided it for those reasons, but now I also see issues with redrawing map elements while panning. Like many others who have posted here and on the main announcement, I suffer from a condition that does often take away much mobility in my hands and wrists. The older control scheme offered enough options that I could comfortably play and work on Roll20 regardless. I now lack those same options that were crucial for accessibility. I would look into creating macros through keyboard software that would help with basics such as navigation, but I have already heard from a player and GM in my group that they are experiencing unavoidable conflicts with functionality added in this update. Overall, I feel like my needs as a user are not only not being represented by the development of Roll20 that I do contribute to through subscribing, but that I am more limited than ever. I hope to see a more mindful approach going forward, and some variety of fixes very soon. I look forward to the games I play in coming back soon, as we are looking at a hiatus until such a time as we can all comfortably play again.
I concur with what everyone else has stated.  This "change" is hundreds of times worse considering that I have a touchpad instead of a mouse.
Gone back to legacy option for zoom tool but where are the scroll bars? Right-click drag still breaks Vivaldi mouse gestures so I have to do shift-scroll to scroll L & R? You should put it back *exactly* the way it was with the legacy option, not some halfway house that still breaks stuff
Mino
Marketplace Creator
When I saw the checkbox to re-enable legacy controls, I thought Roll20 had the foresight to not just flip the table on the longer running players. Unfortunately, all the checkbox does is add the Alt modifier back to the scrollwheel and it keeps all the other changes. Now I have to run a session in 2 hours with everybody using a broken control scheme we're all unfamiliar with, and without quality of life features like basic arithmetic in the token bubbles. How on earth did nobody programming this update think to make sure the new functionality to the plus and minus buttons didn't interfere with existing functions of those keys? Please actually make the legacy control checkbox enable legacy controls.
You can keep one thing I would say - and one only - the player names no longer overlap the cards if there are a few players.
Hey folks, Thank you for the responses and feedback. We’re going to keep monitoring this thread for any new issues that arise, but in the meanwhile some clarifications: -  If you used the scroll bar previously, right click should now give you better controls than before by right-clicking anywhere on the map and dragging. - We’re not able to replicate reports of the trackpad issues - if you’re having this issue, we’d like to ask you for the hardware and MacOS version that you’re using. Also, two-finger clicking (as well as two-finger dragging) should give access to the pan tool from anywhere in the play area. -  We’re definitely addressing the choppiness presently. Thank you again for your responses, please keep letting us know your thoughts on this. - Juniper
I thought my roll20 was broken today because of these changes. Thank goodness I could partially toggle it to the old behavior (i.e., using the scrollbar to move the map). However, I would also like my scrollbars back (??!!) and the option to remove the new zoom toolbar. This toolbar gets in the way of things I'm using on the map and in the UI, and I will literally never use it. Can the toggle restore the previous behavior completely, please?  I've used this system for thousands of hours and can do it in my sleep. I don't appreciate you changing the default behavior... why didn't you make the new option the toggle?  I do appreciate the option to have it both ways (once that fully happens, of course), though.
By trackpad I meant a (windows) laptop mouse pad - I can scroll with it but at the risk of pain due to the unnatural movements/bend of fingers required and the fact that the mode seems to stick (maybe just lack of skill with this terrible idea) makes it unuseable
Juniper L. said: -  If you used the scroll bar previously, right click should now give you better controls than before by right-clicking anywhere on the map and dragging. Better control then a scrollbar? A straight move sideways is impossible for me using your suggestion. Am I missing something?
Ravenknight said: Juniper L. said: -  If you used the scroll bar previously, right click should now give you better controls than before by right-clicking anywhere on the map and dragging. Better control then a scrollbar? A straight move sideways is impossible for me using your suggestion. Am I missing something? This!  I can only move up and down with this suggestion.  Please restore it back to the original so I can actually play my games.
STOP BREAKING THINGS THAT USED TO WORK!
Mino
Marketplace Creator
Juniper L. said: Hey folks, Thank you for the responses and feedback. We’re going to keep monitoring this thread for any new issues that arise, but in the meanwhile some clarifications: -  If you used the scroll bar previously, right click should now give you better controls than before by right-clicking anywhere on the map and dragging. Seriously? People are complaining about accessibility issues and your best response is just that 'Right clicking is better'? That doesn't address the issues at all. It's been addressed that the removal of these pre-existing features is obviously an issue. If they weren't having issues with right clicking, they wouldn't be here asking for it to be changed back. People don't like the update. Others are unable to use it due to disabilities.

Edited 1572987170
God! Don't you have enough things to fix in the pipeline without finding new things to break. Navigation was just fine as it was. And if you add a feature, make it invisible except for those who opt in, and keep the existing functionality intact. Now I'm worried I won't be able to do my game on Saturday. All for nothing!!! Just because a few people complain about something doesn't mean that the silent majority of people don't like it as it is. Unless you get dozens of people saying that navigation is crap, leave navigation as it is.
This is genuinely a terrible update. Could you re-add the zoom bar and the ability to scroll on maps? This is extraordinarily difficult for DMs who have large worldmaps to navigate as now we can't scroll to a different part of the map, we can only zoom out then in. Please consider removing this feature and restoring how it was eariler! Thanks!
Goodness, I couldn't dislike this more.  Any chance we can put this one back in the oven and let it bake for longer before it's released?  As things stand, I need to go cancel my game for today until this is more playable again.  Maybe we could at least make all--all--of this optional, so everything can stay the same?  It was so easy to zoom & navigate before, and now it's so frustrating. Can we also have an option to turn off that zoom box in the bottom-right?  Or, at the very least, can we unlock it so we can move that box around?  It's very in-the-way.

Edited 1572987604
Juniper L. said: Hey folks, Thank you for the responses and feedback. We’re going to keep monitoring this thread for any new issues that arise, but in the meanwhile some clarifications: -  If you used the scroll bar previously, right click should now give you better controls than before by right-clicking anywhere on the map and dragging. - We’re not able to replicate reports of the trackpad issues - if you’re having this issue, we’d like to ask you for the hardware and MacOS version that you’re using. Also, two-finger clicking (as well as two-finger dragging) should give access to the pan tool from anywhere in the play area. -  We’re definitely addressing the choppiness presently. Thank you again for your responses, please keep letting us know your thoughts on this. - Juniper The issue with trackpads is not exclusive to Macs whatsoever. One of our gamemasters is on a laptop sans mouse for space reasons and this update has greatly hindered their usage since scrolling is effectively disabled for them on the new controls. Additionally, people would appreciate the scroll bar back and the previous level of zoom since... it offered better fine tuning. What exactly is the point of a % based zoom if the only increments it can go are 10% and 5%? Surely one must understand that when creating maps on the previous levels of zoom not being able to go back hinders the map making process as well as the playing process.  As a new issue, it seems that middle mouse being able to move the page is very broken as it would normally work ala scrolling. Which may be partially responsible for the issues on trackapads. This was not an issue on prior versions for my own uses.