Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFPS?] Any Interest?: A retro DC Comics centric game using Marvel Heroic/Cortex+ style gameplay

Theme: Earth 53: It's 1970. It's been 25 years since the Justice Society of America vanished, and now a new group of young heroes step forth to take up the mantle of protectors. These are teenagers who are learning about their place in the world, but they don't have to take this journey alone. Individually they are heroes. Together, they will be legends.  The premise is simple: The silver age heroes are all teenagers, new to the world of crime-fighting, and sans any connections to each other as of yet. Clark Kent, Dianna of Themyscira, & Bruce Wayne (among others) are all newbies, huge devotees of the ideals of The JSA,  between the ages of 16-18, and full of potential. And yet, this world is full of unseen dangers, and maniacal madmen who thirst for power, even at the expense of the common man. What is worse is a new threat so daunting, the only hope of overcoming the coming crisis will be coming together as a team. Will they be able to look past their differences to see the strength of their similarities? Who will step forward to be the founders of their generation's greatest team of superheroes? These questions and more will be answered (if anyone shows any interest that is....) Tone: Silver Age style adventures and villains. Light in tone, but not slapstick.  Some modified recreations of actual silver age stories from DC Comics. Each player will be expected to also create a cast of personal side characters. Family & friends are important to character development. Secret identities will be important. Characters will be teen-aged versions of silver age DC characters to start, with the ability to unlock new character slots during play and at that point new player created characters (sidekicks) that stay within tone of the game will be allowed. No murder hobos. Gameplay:  Using a slightly modified version of the Marvel Heroic system (more skills, added attributes, more social dice) we will be simulating comic book style storytelling, with scenes out of costume, in costume, and eventually troupe play. I tend to include mechanics in my games that may seem like "video game tropes" including achievements, rewards, and unlockables. Marvel Heroic is a story telling heavy system with a dice mechanic that while slow during combat, is easy to understand but deep enough to be rewarding. Characters do not level, but they do improve. Traditional "XP" is awarded for roleplaying (players and GMs create "sub-plots" known as Milestones, and you get XP for pushing along those sub plot narratives), and is used to buy unlockables. Unlockables will include equipment/contacts/allies/locations/& new character slots, among other things. Games will be "One and DOne" style sessions, but at the same time we will be creating our own cannon that WILL carry over through the sessions. Don't expect 4 session long stories though. Most all adventures will be designed to be completed in one session. There WILL of course be some exceptions (thematically, like the early Earth 1 & Earth 2 crossovers).  Schedule: Games would be once a week at a set day and time. Games would run 3-6 hours, depending on the day's issue( sessions will be referred to as "issues" ). If you are a player, and you will not make a session I will expect notification. I will apply the same standard to myself. (Things happen to everyone, but communication is key) Privacy: I plan to record the sessions. This is mainly for my own amusement, and I find it useful as a tool to study how to improve sessions. If everyone is good, and interested, we could even start a stream (again, if it was what the group wanted). Well, that's the basic pitch. Any interest? Any questions?
This sounds very intriguing. I have the Marvel Heroic RPG rulebook and have always wanted a chance to give it a try; I'm also interested in the idea of creating a supporting cast and scenes out of costume. My favorite DC character is Bruce Wayne, but I'd be willing to play as pretty much any character (Green Lantern would be my second choice). Just a heads up that I have 0 experience with Roll20 so far. If you're able to get enough interest, I would possibly be available Friday or Saturday night, or Sunday mornings.
Thanks for the response. I have no issue helping someone new to the system, as it's really intuitive, and I am more interested in someone who is connected to the material, so you sound great. If we can get enough interest to get it going, let's just say you can claim Bruce.
This looks incredibly interestings! I have a friend of mine including myself that could both really have fun with this kind of game. My discord is ferelon#7031.  Please send me a message when possible
Tolly G. said: Thanks for the response. I have no issue helping someone new to the system, as it's really intuitive, and I am more interested in someone who is connected to the material, so you sound great. If we can get enough interest to get it going, let's just say you can claim Bruce. Excellent. I have no problem switching characters if anybody has strong feelings about playing as the Bat.
William, have you or your friend used the Marvel Heroic system at all? I am just curious. It's not a big deal if you haven't, as it's an easy system to learn in one session. I am also curious what characters you might be interested in playing as. Basically most of the silver age beginning heroes are allowed in the starting point(with many more available later through unlocks). Starter heroes that will be available are: Batman (Bruce is only 15, but is already taking on the more adult name, unlike everyone else), Wonder Girl (Diana), Superboy (Clark), Green Lantern (Hal), Kid Flash (Barry), Aqualad (Arthur), Green Arrow (Ollie), The Atom (Ray), Hawkboy ( either Carter Hall with the reincarnation angle, or Katar Hol of Thanagar), and to mix it up just a bit, Zatanna. Sorry, no, you cannot be Snapper Carr.... because I have plans for him.. BWAHAHA!
So I am bumping this, as William ended up being non responsive, but Max is still interested. Anyone else interested in being superheroes and building a DC history, while Corona sweeps over us all? :P I blame Maxwell Lord. This totally seems like his style!
I'm interested, if there's still any openings. The only superhero system I've used is Mutants and Masterminds, and I'm available most nights except for Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Hi Stephen. I also can't do Tuesdays, as I do radio on that night. Same with Saturday. Friday nights or Sunday mornings may be out best bet so far. I'd really like to get 3 -4 players before we call it official. I am very familiar with M&M, and can easily introduce you to the Cortex/MHR system, and it won't be a hard transition for you. There are correlations in some of the basic mechanics/concepts. The way I describe the difference is that for me, M&M is like an action figure simulation (lots of articulation) with player focus being on using their action figure in the game. In MHR, it's more about simulating an actual comic book story, with a team of writers. Combat is still fun, but more abstract and less limited by your figure. For instance, in M&M, if you were Green Lantern you have to build your ring with points, and buy each option of what the ring does. You can still do Power Stunts if you have spendables, which allow you to do things not listen in your build, but basically you can only use what you bought and put in the build. In MHR if you are Green Lantern, you have a Power Ring at a certain level, and it can do anything you say it does (within agreement from the GM). No need to buy a blast, a construct power, a shield, etc. It just does all that.  We can discuss it more in detail in the opening session or Issue zero as I call them.  I am curious, did you look at the available starter characters, and who would you be interested in being to start?
i sent u a pm
I think this sounds interesting I've never done something like this though so ill be completely new to this type of format but i'm more then keen to learn.
Spade, I have no issue teaching the system. It's very easy and intuitive to learn.