Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Crit-Crazy! Possible PC using script?

I've been playing or DM'n on roll20 for 6 or 7 years and I have never seen anyone roll as many natural 20's as one of my current players. Every session he rolls at least 2 or 3 and the other session he rolled 3 natural 20's in a row for 3 attacks on one turn (fighter - great weapon master), killing a boss monster that had everyone sitting on pins and needles. Please tell me there is some script he might be using for if not, dudes, it's going to be a long campaign for me. LOL

Edited 1587465157
Ravenknight
KS Backer
Hiya, If you can see the symbol below in chat it proves that the roll were made using the QuantumRoll engine and as far as I know there are no ways a person could tamper with that. Depending on what method you use in your games I guess that you could write a macro that could produce any result at will. But that would look fishy if you hover over the result in chat. Most likely your player is just very lucky.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I saw somewhere someone posted a way to intercept rolls from Roll20 and basically block rolls from going through until you got one you liked.  It wasn't (as demonstrated) very fast though.  If the rolls were made at what looked like a normal pace, it was probably just a nice string of dice roller luck.
Kraynic said: I saw somewhere someone posted a way to intercept rolls from Roll20 and basically block rolls from going through until you got one you liked.  It wasn't (as demonstrated) very fast though.  If the rolls were made at what looked like a normal pace, it was probably just a nice string of dice roller luck. Yikes, that sounds bad!
There is a possibility. Roll20 makes a server-side request to the QuantumRoll engine, and it returns a roll identifier to the rolling client. If that roll identifier is corrupted (e.g. they change it to something invalid), the client ignores it and doesn't send it. In this way, you can "delete" rolls in which you roll terribly, and only "accept" rolls in which you rolled well. However, I would argue that psudorandoms don't work in the way that you really think. For example, a psudorandom of 0 to 9 wouldn't roll like this: 712983450 It more along rolls by looking at certain random effects in a randomized table. Its possible that they just got really lucky with one roll. Now, one thing you *could* do is start writing down all of the rolls that they get. If absolutely none of the values of a d20 are <10, I would suspect foul play. However, if you record 200 rolls from this player and its a general spattering from across 1 to 20, then I would just say they have the "Luck of the Dice Gods...sometimes."
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Zachare S. said: Now, one thing you *could* do is start writing down all of the rolls that they get. If absolutely none of the values of a d20 are <10, I would suspect foul play. However, if you record 200 rolls from this player and its a general spattering from across 1 to 20, then I would just say they have the "Luck of the Dice Gods...sometimes." I second this. If you suspect foul play, you need to track a lot of rolls by that player before making a judgement. You are now primed to notice and be suspicious of any high rolls, so you will notice them and they'll seem like they are happening more than they should. You need to track all  of their rolls, and actually write them into a spreadsheet, so you can see if they are really all that special, or if their lucky streak winds down.
What is making it really hard to check is when you go into the log it doesn't show the quantum symbol on any of the roles... I'll track it and see what happens. It does take him more time between attacks than others sometimes but I have just chalked that up to maneuver choices. He seems to only role bad when it doesn't really matter, but when it comes to being a hero it's crit after crit.  I appreciate your guys input! 
If you're going to record the one player's rolls, I would suggest recording other players' rolls as well to make a comparison to, or a "control group".  You really can't tell what any results mean unless you statistically compare them to a standard. 

Edited 1587960434
7 critical rolls in 1 combat. Four without advantage, two of them being on the same turn. With advantage, three critical rolls on one turn. It shows that he is typing something before his makes a critical roll but no typing on his non-critical rolls. Dude has to be cheating, right?  He always rolls high, with an occasional dump roll. He failed one wisdom saving throw in the 4 months we have been playing and his wisdom is an 8. I can't call him a cheat without real proof... 
Two to Three nat 20's per session is statistically insignificant.  You can't make any kind of factual conclusion based on such a small sampling.  Anectodally, I've tripple-crit at least four or five times over the last year.  It certainly happens when you play regularly. If you want a concrete factual dataset to examine, you need to track every single d20 roll everyone makes (not just them, you need a comparison) over a much longer period of time.  I wouldn't expect any degree of accuracy until you have at least 200-300 + rolls recorded per set(200 from them, 200 from someone else, etc). More to the point...  This is less a statistical issue as much as it is a social one.  If you suspect someone is 'cheating' at D&D (which is silly imo, of course) then it begs the question of why you're playing with someone you don't trust, and whether it honestly really matters anyway if they do or not.
It has nothing to do about not trusting them, I hardly know them. I have been play and DM'n on roll20 for a very long time, at least 1 time a week if not 2, and I have never seen anyone roll five or more natural 20 in one session let along one encounter that lasted 3 rounds (7 in one encounter tonight). It wasn't like this at the start but for the last 10 session he has rolled more and more nat 20's... he rolls at least 3 natural 20 per encounter and now all my other players are asking him to send him the script/macro or are saying, "I'm going to go get a snack because it's 'this players' turn." Some of my players have spoken to me privately and are really starting to not have fun. They too suspect cheating but none of us are api experts. As for having 200 or 300 rolls... I don't need that. I have been playing with ever one of the guys, except him, for 4 or 5 years and none of them have ever been "so lucky". I guess I'll have to more digging, I am sure no one from roll20 will admit there are ways to cheat or say they have ways of knowing if someone was. Thanks.

Edited 1587967842
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Since you dont know him, and you suspect he's cheating, and it sounds like most of the group suspect he's cheating and its beginning to affect their enjoyment, the best thing to do would be to kick him from the group.  If he's not cheating, it's the best for him too - since he's never going to be trusted now, it's better for him to find a new group and start over with a clean slate. And if he is cheating, maybe he'll learn his lesson. (Probably not though.) Bear in mind: you aren't obligated to let people into your game. You can eject them for any reason at all. Ideally, you'd only do this when there are problems, but - to use a less serious example - a player not fitting in with a group is good enough reason to politely tell them so, and continue without them. Having strong suspicions a player is cheating, to the extent that it's spoiling the game for several players, is a very good reason to let someone go. You don't need to gather proof. Suspicion, and the effect on other players, is enough.
It's a little bit more complicated than that. He's my favorite cousin's, I mean she is truly one of the best people on this planet, fiancee. I've met him 2 times in person as we live 6 hours apart, both at funerals. He seems like a really good dude, but this has me and my other players wondering. I kick him without real evidence, I'm the asshole. I have evidence, he's the asshole. Either way it's going to put a strain on my relationship with my "little cuz".  So what I did is send out an email saying that there is no way "the player" is cheating so stop with the joking about macros and script because it is probably making him feel bad when he has the luck of the dice gods. I am hoping this will in someway get him to rethink, if he is cheating. Thanks for everyone's input. I was just hoping someone from roll20 would jump in this thread and "help". 
Take over the dice-rolling yourself then, for the entire party of course.
If it becomes an issue again you could check out this forum post.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6047732/is-it-possible-a-player-who-worked-as-a-developer-slash-programmer-in-real-life-could-somehow-be-manipulating-the-dice-roll-in-roll20" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6047732/is-it-possible-a-player-who-worked-as-a-developer-slash-programmer-in-real-life-could-somehow-be-manipulating-the-dice-roll-in-roll20</a>