Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Marketplace reviews/ratings

Score + 150
Saw this suggested a few times before, but each of those threads are now closed (2 years ago and 6 months ago, respectively), and thus can't be voted on, so suggesting it again! It'd be swell if we can have a rating/review system for the marketplace. Buyers could leave a star rating as well as a comment about what they think of any particular set, which could be very useful both for other prospective buyers to see what other people thought of a set (quality, etc.) and for the content creators to have a means of viewing feedback on their particular sets, to see if they should be creating more of X style because it's well-liked and popular, or perhaps if they need to clean up something about a set because of a minor alignment issue or whatnot. Ideally, ratings and reviews should be editable, as they can change as a resource updates.
Copying my comments to this one, as it existed prior to my request... WWQuicksilver said: I would like the ability to vote on (or star?) sets I've purchased on the Marketplace, and provide comments/review/issues about the set. I think it should be limited to those who have actually purchased the set. As a customer, I'd like to provide kudos/feedback on many of the sets that I purchase, and there are a couple I've purchased that are missing one or more image files. As a customer, I'd also like to get an idea of how popular a set is, and any positive/negative feedback about it, before I purchase it.
Got my vote.

Edited 1479891843
At the moment customer is forced to make the decision whether to buy or not with very limited infromation. Any kind of comment / review system would be an improvement. Limiting the ability leave comments / verbal reviews or ratings to users who have purchased the content would probably be the best way to go (the best compromise) but not necessarily. That would leave out all the players who have participated in games where the content was used. This would be especially problematic with modules. One GM who purchased a module could run it for multiple groups and only the GM could provide feedback of any kind.

Edited 1479910905
Jen
Pro
I'd be hesitant to get player feedback on modules, since it's so incredibly dependent on how well and closely the GM runs it. The GM is the biggest variable there.  For example, if someone asked my players to review Hoard of the Dragon Queen or Rise of Tiamat, they would be eagerly talking about all sorts of cool things that definitely never happened in those modules! Correspondingly, if I sucked as a DM, it might unfairly result in poor reviews on the product. Edited to add: Anyway, I agree with restricting ratings to those who have purchased the content. 
+1 for this suggestion, having a ratings and review system on marketplace content would be great.
+1 Yes plz!
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
If you pay for something you should be able to review it

Edited 1532232580
I feel like this sort of feature would be long overdue. Even without implementation of comment or star systems, I feel like it would be quite easy to show how many times a particular asset set has been viewed or sold in the Marketplace. There is a certain lack of information available to consumers in the Marketplace. In any case, I feel like the consumers on the Marketplace should be able to deliver criticism and praise. This can only serve as a catalyst to encourage higher quality content on the Marketplace, and potentially curb over saturation of poorer quality content as well. Additionally, I do subscribe to the notion that only those who have purchased the content should be able to rate it. +1
+1,000,000,000 some tiles look good, but when trying to put them together, they are often "off" just a little no matter how you scale it, and you end up having to spend way too much time trying to nudge them into place! It's irritating, and I don't have the kind of time to screw around with it!
We should be able to give reviews for items on Market Place. All of our lives are based on reviews. From restaurants, to car purchases, to free apps we download.....all of us always check reviews. Always. If we had reviews, we could even sort by highest rating. This is really a no brainer as all I am suggesting here is to make the Roll20 MarketPlace like every other location we shop at. It would help both the consumers and the awesome artists that create content
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Well, I guess we will see what the March 26 marketplace update includes, but it strikes me that an off-the-shelf marketplace would have all the features we are asking for while freeing up the dev team to focus on their actual product: the VTT.
Adding my vote!

Edited 1553289164
Jen
Pro
I do hope that the review ability is restricted to those who actually bought/own the item. (Edit: Oh, I see I said that 2 years ago too, heh)
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Jen said: I do hope that the review ability is restricted to those who actually bought/own the item. (Edit: Oh, I see I said that 2 years ago too, heh) As applicable now as it was 2 years ago. :)
+1
still would be a good idea...
+1 to this. I was interested in something but unsure if the product would fit my needs. Some reviews from other places helped my decision.
+1 - It drives me nuts that there is no way to rate or leave a review for products in the Marketplace. I've (more than once) purchased something that I thought looked good but once in use it didn't meet my needs. There's no way to share that feedback with the seller, let alone help other buyers make decisions. In the end, not having a feedback loop is reducing the viability of items in the marketplace. Sellers and buyers are both blind.
It might also give the Roll20 crew indications of what sort of products we like.
How is it possible in the modern age we have, that reviews are not allowed on this site? There should be player scoring cards, DM scoring cards and product reviews.  Table top gaming is no longer a thing only "nerds" do. Further more, how can content creators know what has better traction in the marketplace without feed back from customers that is easy to see and easy for the paying customer to leave? Something is wrong here, these ideas need serious consideration. 
+1 Vote
Glad this post is still up. I can absolutely put my vote behind this, and like Jen and Brian C. have said, if an off the shelf solution works, then why reinvent the wheel? Focus on the VTT and easing the learning curve for that. Of course with any rating system, there will be people that abuse it or don't provide an accurate rating. However, I think giving creators usable, constructive feedback on how to improve something makes it better for everyone involved, and in the end we all have a better experience. Maybe have some message or disclaimer saying "These reviews are for the exact product being sold here, not how the GM ran the game. These can include quality, shop responsiveness, amount of content, etc."? If someone put a lot of time and effort into a module and it was amazing, how can they stand out from someone who's product wasn't as good? I would want to support someone that made great products. I also would be much more willing to spend money in the shop if there was a rating system. It would help me have an idea of "people have generally liked this module, so it's worth picking up".
To put it in capitalist terms: I will spend more dollars on content if I have a better idea of what was in the content before I buy it. Having very little information about what is inside and/or what other people think of it makes me hesitant to spend my money.
I would love to see this with a star rating system and a mandatory review form/layout. So it can provide the details and reasons why you rated it this way, which should give a more constructive review of the product. Something letting you know the reviewer was a player, Dm, or has been both and if they had purchased the item to run themself or for others. I think that would help consumers have more information to decide than just the details provided by the creators for roll20.
+1! So glad this is getting some traction this time around.
+1.  Please allow reviews.  I have made multiple purchases from the marketplace, I have a few I regret since the description was misleading/not what I expected, and other's were great and I want to leave kudos to the author.
nicky g.
Marketplace Creator
+1 it would definitely benefit creators to easily get feedback on what’s working and what’s not as to improve the quality of future content creation
Jason L.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
+1 There are so many items that I was tempted to purchase but without feedback and reviews from fellow users, I'm reluctant to purchase. I've regretted purchases before as it was not what was advertised.
+1
I totally support. Right now the market place is nearly impossible to use if you wish to buy anything other than a known product or a product you can find a review on another site.
I also totally support this.  I've bought some really nice content (it'd be nice to reward the creators) and some real slacker content where it'd be nice to share feedback with the creators.  
Still surprised that this isn't a thing already.
+1

Edited 1626187847
+1.  Suggest that when posting the review the following info is collected in addition to the review comments. Review Score 1 to 5 stars Review Comment Reviewer Role:  GM, Player or Other Reviewer Purchased: Verified purchaser flag Build this functionality into the "My Marketplace Items" page!
+1 2021 I still feel the need of reviews. I would like to hear opinions on products by people that have it. I have reviews that I would give out, both good and bad. If I didn't have to search the web and ask around my quality of life in this app would be so much easier. I would like to warn/clarify things to other purchasers and praise products that I really liked.

Edited 1626183199
Paul
Pro
wow - no response from Roll20 team after 5+ years?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Paul said: wow - no response from Roll20 team after 5+ years? Unless it ties into current development, they don't comment on a suggestion until 200+ votes.  This suggestion hasn't even reached 100 yet.
Got my vote.  I wanted to comment on one of their maps that they left a "T" where a trap is marked right on the player map AND added a "visible to DM only marker on the GM View..  Rookie mistake!  My players opened a door and asked "What is that T?".
6 years and still under 200 votes. This is a huge feature and will help both creators and DMs. I am extremely hesitant to make purchases off such little information provided on many of the modules. A review/rating system of some kind that only those who have purchased the product can utilize would greatly help with making the choice to purchase. It would help determine if the module really does fit your needs and if its worth the $5, $10, or even $25+ that some cost.
The problem is DM's represent less than 20% of the population of roll20 players (my guess), so the stuff we want doesn't get the same number of votes the players want.  
Necroing this. I have purchased many items from Roll20. Some from larger groups like Kobold Press, some smaller ones from Session Zero. Not all of these purchases are worth the investment. There are a few with many text and image errors, some incredibly unbalanced or just boring additions.
How is this still not a thing?
The MapHatter
Pro
Marketplace Creator
+1. I think reviews should be added to the marketplace.
+1. I have been gifted some modules (so I own them but didn't purchase them - not sure if that is important distinction in Roll20). I absolutely want to review them - not to throw stones at content (I can contact the publisher directly for that), or Roll20 for the implementation (I can create a help desk ticket for issues), but to give others an overview of what to expect should they purchase it. So, the star system would not be important for me, except to answer how well did it reduce my workload in prepping/running the game out of the box. Comments would be far more useful. As for token packs, map packs, and other stuff - you generally get to see the individual assets which helps a lot, but here a star system might be more useful in rating art quality , diversity and how well they work together . My two cents.
Saw another package on the Marketplace this afternoon I'd love to purchase, "Dipped in Poison", a set of rules for using poison in 5e.  But NOPE - not going to purchase another marketplace item until Roll20 includes a market place ratings and review system (LIKE EVERY OTHER ONLINE MARKETER OFFERS)!!!  What is really disappointing is that users have been asking for this service for  almost 10 years.    Instead - I now research content creators online, and subscribe to their Patreon page, manually uploading content from authors I trust. Please vote for this enhancement if you agree.
There really need to be reviews or at least a staring system. 
+1
+1 It's absurd that we don't have this feature.
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
+1  Other more important and harder to implement features seem to be taking years, like map pins linked to handouts, custom compendiums, etc. I'd think this would be relatively simple in comparison? I know personally, I've looked at a lot of third party adventures, and want to know how well the information and handouts are organized, etc. before purchasing. Even more in depth previewing would help, like a chance to look at the full thing for less than an hour first (though I imagine that might have more technical concerns). At a game store, you can flip through a book before deciding to buy it. You get way more information than 4-6 tiny thumbnails and some brief self-promo text. Reviews imo would give anyone that isn't WotC a fighting chance (assuming good reviews). Personally, there are modules I would probably have bought to try out, but haven't because I have no way of knowing their quality and content without reviews. I also bought one module with some cool accessibility features (like included macros), and they didn't even work after purchase. Reviews would really help avoid that sort of thing.

Edited 1685501960
I went to the below link to get more votes.&nbsp; There are a few different threads, most of which have been closed.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10893069/marketplace-rating-system-the-time-has-come/?pageforid=11483269#post-11483269" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10893069/marketplace-rating-system-the-time-has-come/?pageforid=11483269#post-11483269</a> Also - I asked my peeps with accounts to come and give a +1 to the thread in the hopes of getting it over the threshold.&nbsp; If we all did that, it'd get some attention (I hope).&nbsp;&nbsp;