Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

UDL 1.0 Updates, Bugs, & Feedback

Happy Friday Folx!  I’m here to give a rundown of the current status and where everything is in our efforts to keep you in the know on UDL. We’ll update the “What Needs Worked On” section in the first post with this list too. COMPLETED   First off in the things we have completed, Dim Light falloff was fixed and in the same update added the ability to customize the intensity of the dim light effect and the break line that was seen at the edge of the borders between Dim and Bright light. DIMMING: COMPLETED LIGHTING BREAK LINE: FIXED IN QA  Moving onto things that are actively in QA, people have mentioned that the UDL settings had some inconsistencies with saving value states (for example if I turn on Night Vision but then turn on Vision, I wanted the Night Vision value to be remembered for when Vision was turned on again). While we were in there we scooped up the bug where the total light value calculation in relation to Dim Light was incorrect. SETTINGS: IN QA TOTAL LIGHT VALUE ERROR: IN QA NIGHT VISION/DIM LIGHT: IN QA   IN PROGRESS  The next couple targets we have our sights set on are the multifaceted approach to addressing lag as it relates to UDL. We’re also working on the root cause that leads up to causing a Ring/Bullseye effect on a token. Once we get movement on some of these we will be pulling in things up from the Queue. LAG: IN PROGRESS -- currently analyzing various problems and solutions RING/BULLSEYE EFFECT: IN PROGRESS   CONFIRMED AND QUEUED  On deck the list below many of the statuses have moved and shifted as it became unblocked with groundwork from previous updates. Here is the list of things we have the information on and have what we need to get the solution moving forward.  GRID: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED   VISIBILITY: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED PAGE FREEZING: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED NIGHT VISION: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED JAGGED LINES: QUEUED -- went from in progress to queued: groundwork was made on an antialiasing approach that needs more adjustments  to give us the quality we’re looking for TOKEN SNAP LIGHTING: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED CTRL+L TOKEN SWAPPING: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED TURNING OFF UDL AFFECTS OTHER PAGES: CONFIRMED SAME AS PAGE FREEZING -- CONFIRMED AND QUEUED NIGHT VISION TINT: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED CTRL+L REVERSING ON PAGE SWAP: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED DYNAMIC LIGHTING LAYER HIGHLIGHT: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED LIGHT MULTIPLIER: CONFIRMED AND QUEUED   INVESTIGATING   Here are the handful of items we are still investigating the root cause of and are working to find solutions to.  CTRL+L CRASH ON PAGE SWITCH: INVESTIGATING LDL TROUBLES: Some people have reported an increase of problems using LDL. If you’re experiencing this issue, please contact the help center or make a new post in the bug forum! This thread is going to stay focused on UDL. DARKNESS OPTIONS MISSING IN DAYLIGHT MODE: INVESTIGATING REVEAL TOOL LEAVES PATCH OF DARKNESS: INVESTIGATING API INTEGRATIONS FOR UDL:  INVESTIGATING PAGE REVEAL: INVESTIGATING -- We put out a series of fixes that we believe cleared up the scenarios and the root cause of this but we want to be certain so if you’re still having issues we want to hear from you!     New stuff! And finally here are some extra items that are available to try out now and which will be hitting live soon CIRCLES are right around the corner. Currently on Dev so we can poke at it a bit more to test it and still give you Pro users a chance to play with them if you’d like. A reminder for folks who are using them as barriers that restrict movement but not light this feature update will alter that interaction and we want to provide a better long term solution to this that you will adore.  Freehand drawing support is on its way and likely to hit Dev servers next week for those times when you need a wall to just be a series of doodles. 
Wow!  I appreciate the level of detail and categorization.  This will save me a lot of time researching problems that have already been identified and knowing where it is in the development que.  If I see a pattern or can re-create an issue you are investigating, I'll throw you a note.   Thank you.

Edited 1616782626
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Corey J. said:   New stuff! And finally here are some extra items that are available to try out now and which will be hitting live soon Freehand drawing support is on its way and likely to hit Dev servers next week for those times when you need a wall to just be a series of doodles.  What will happen with freehand drawing UDL currently creating Dynamic Lighting "Windows" ? Currently you can use freehand-drawn DL for blocking movement without hampering sight, so implementing this would remove an emergent property folks like. Maybe creating freehand drawings for UDL could take a backseat to after   all the more pressing issues are solved.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I suspect this is something that is a side effect of the other issues being worked on. "Now that we have solved X, Y can exist"?
Gold
Forum Champion
keithcurtis said: I suspect this is something that is a side effect of the other issues being worked on. "Now that we have solved X, Y can exist"? Alternative reading:  Lag is 1st on the list of "working to find the root cause".... Circles & Freehand lines were said to be forbidden from LDL because they caused a lot more calculations required to be made. If true then don't add features that add lag.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
LDL ≠ UDL. If circles don't cause lag using UDL technology, then there's no issue in adding them.
Corey J. said: IN QA&nbsp; Moving onto things that are actively in QA, people have mentioned that the UDL settings had some inconsistencies with saving value states (for example if I turn on Night Vision but then turn on Vision, I wanted the Night Vision value to be remembered for when Vision was turned on again). While we were in there we scooped up the bug where the total light value calculation in relation to Dim Light was incorrect. SETTINGS: IN QA TOTAL LIGHT VALUE ERROR: IN QA NIGHT VISION/DIM LIGHT: IN QA Happy Friday. Does this include the bug Doug E. described at&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9900485/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9900485/</a> &nbsp;and I reproduced at&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9910666/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9910666/</a>?
That list is basically two things fixed and then many, many things still yet to be fixed, all wrapped up in the usual corporate jargon/doublespeak/empty phrases ("On deck the list below many of the statuses have moved and shifted as it became unblocked with groundwork from previous updates. Here is the list of things we have the information on and have what we need to get the solution moving forward."). Given Roll20's track record of fixing bugs -- whether random or bugs that emerged as a direct result of previous Roll20 patch jobs -- it seems inconceivable that all of these serious issues will be resolved by the time LDL is sunsetted.
It says something profoundly sad about the state of Roll20 when users are overjoyed that Roll20 has deigned to notice and register the many urgent issues with a product they are already paying for and helping to QA for free.&nbsp;

Edited 1616857511
Corey J. said: Happy Friday Folx!&nbsp; I’m here to give a rundown of the current status and where everything is in our efforts to keep you in the know on UDL. I have been very vocal about how unhappy I am with roll20 development and communication (and in the eyes of roll20 too vocal...).&nbsp; I also feel that little progress should, however, be acknowledged. Such an overview was sorely missed and gives some accountability to what is going on. So - as little this is - I am happy about it. (Brian should still check it for missing items and mistakes :-D ) Yet, I still encourage roll20 to become realistic. Given their past track record, it is impossible that all of this will be fixed by the current LDL sunset date.&nbsp; Do the right thing and sunset LDL only once all these UDL issues have been fixed.&nbsp; Both the devs and us will sleep better after that announcement... (and if you surprise us by it being done on time, nothing is lost...)
Gold
Forum Champion
I will believe that when the Lag goes away. keithcurtis said: LDL ≠ UDL. If circles don't cause lag using UDL technology, then there's no issue in adding them.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gold said: I will believe that when the Lag goes away. keithcurtis said: LDL ≠ UDL. If circles don't cause lag using UDL technology, then there's no issue in adding them. Let me rephrase then. :) If circles don't increase lag while using UDL technology, then there's no issue in adding them.

Edited 1616908838
Jay R. said: It says something profoundly sad about the state of Roll20 when users are overjoyed that Roll20 has deigned to notice and register the many urgent issues with a product they are already paying for and helping to QA for free.&nbsp; BINGO! This is why I'm leaving the platform.&nbsp; Glad I made up my mind to transition my players off of this platform early enough.&nbsp; Roll20 has lost my trust.&nbsp; Honestly, I would have stuck around before you announced the sunset date- but now there's no going back.
Erica said: Jay R. said: It says something profoundly sad about the state of Roll20 when users are overjoyed that Roll20 has deigned to notice and register the many urgent issues with a product they are already paying for and helping to QA for free.&nbsp; BINGO! This is why I'm leaving the platform.&nbsp; Glad I made up my mind to transition my players off of this platform early enough.&nbsp; Roll20 has lost my trust.&nbsp; Honestly, I would have stuck around before you announced the sunset date- but now there's no going back. We are discussing, checking out alternatives, testing them and are very, very closely observing what roll20 will be doing in the next few weeks.&nbsp;
Katie Mae said: Hi everyone!&nbsp; If you have not already seen the news, we have announced the Sunset Date for Legacy Dynamic Lighting: May 18th, 2021 . I highly recommend reading the blog post about this announcement, which can be found here .&nbsp; [snip] As always, I’m here to take feedback and answer questions you may have. I haven't been able to follow everything going on and I'm getting conflicting messages.&nbsp; Is LDL still going to be killed-off on May 18?&nbsp;&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That is the plan.
Hey Edward, We're bundling that into the Bullseye/Target fix that we're working on now, as there is a common thread there. If ultimately they aren't connected we'll get it prioritized to be addressed.&nbsp; Warm Regards, Corey J Edward R. said: Corey J. said: IN QA&nbsp; Moving onto things that are actively in QA, people have mentioned that the UDL settings had some inconsistencies with saving value states (for example if I turn on Night Vision but then turn on Vision, I wanted the Night Vision value to be remembered for when Vision was turned on again). While we were in there we scooped up the bug where the total light value calculation in relation to Dim Light was incorrect. SETTINGS: IN QA TOTAL LIGHT VALUE ERROR: IN QA NIGHT VISION/DIM LIGHT: IN QA Happy Friday. Does this include the bug Doug E. described at&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9900485/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9900485/</a> &nbsp;and I reproduced at&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9910666/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9910666/</a> ?
This thread is just very sad to read all around. If anyone is wondering, I've moved my business to Fantasy Grounds. If you are a professional DM and all this business with Dynamic Lighting has soured you on Roll20, I can recommend it. To the roll20 staff that may read this, I am not the first to jump ship. I will not be the last.

Edited 1617109334
After much discussion my groups are also in the process of moving. I dropped down to a plus subscription starting on the next payment date. I plan to finish all of my current games, but start new games on another VTT. I post this here to explain that UDL was a big part of this choice, but not in the way you might think. Honestly, dynamic lighting is not a huge deal for me. I am fine with standard fog of war. Sure, if it worked well and didn't cause lag, I would use it, but I am not leaving over not having it. However, the way that UDL has been handled points to much bigger development and customer service issues. The pace of development on Roll 20 is like a snail, and Roll 20 is now behind other VTTs when it comes to features and development. I think some of the issue is just the natural cycle of online software. The code behind Roll 20 was cutting edge at one time, but now is out dated and makes it harder to implement new features (just a guess - I am not a programmer ). Still, reasons for it aside, other products better meet my needs now. The other issue, and in some ways the bigger issue, is a lack of dependable performance. It is very regular for us to have issues during games that significantly impact play. These include being disconnected, dice roll lag, trouble getting into games, and lag opening character sheets. These are things the players get aggravated with and makes getting them to switch to another VTT easier. We may find out that other VTTs have the same issues, but we are ready to take that chance. Could I change my mind? I doubt I will in the short term. I just don't see any possibility of Roll 20 rolling out the features I care about anytime soon. However, if they become the superior product down the road I would certainly come back. Roll 20 is a very accessible software and has a large base of players to draw on. Those are both strengths of Roll 20. The Market place is also a strength. Roll 20 has much better support from official content producers than the VTT I am moving to.&nbsp; &nbsp;This is something&nbsp; I will miss. Unfortunately the cons currently outweigh the pros for me and my group. I do wish Roll 20 success. They have done a lot to support the RPG community and strong competition is very good for the customers. I will continue to troll the forums and monitor the situation with hope.&nbsp;
Since you asked politely... I tried using UDL once.&nbsp; I built the map from scratch using UDL, toggled everything...&nbsp; this would've been around September I think. It was an unmitigated disaster.&nbsp; Some people could see, others couldn't.&nbsp; Someone could see their light circle in a different part of the map, no where close to where their pog was.&nbsp; I frantically burned through options and setting trying to fix it, and even bit the bullet and hard converted that map back to LDL, but to no avail.&nbsp; I had to cancel the session.&nbsp; I tried tweaking the map for an additional six hours and used a friend to troubleshoot with, but we just had bizarre non-functionality, so I declared the experiment a bust. A look through here tells me UDL is still struggling.&nbsp; The way it's going, I feel like I'm going to have to abandon lighting functionality and go back to using cover boxes like I did when I was free. I think like most people here, we all have a wishlist of things we'd like, but ultimately, the core components of lighting just need to work.&nbsp; I would LIKE better falloff and rendering.&nbsp; I would *really* like players to have directional light control independent of their pog facing.&nbsp; But I need on/off and the coordinates of light sources and obstructions to work. To make me feel comfortable with UDL, it needs to do the basics reliably. &nbsp; Any other feature beyond that can and should be pushed off.

Edited 1617127957
I'm also announcing that I will be transitioning my business to another VTT. Numerous bugs, failures, and performance issues has forced this decision. For example, I had to delete a large amount of my content (characters/handouts, as recommended at <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360041544654-Optimizing-Roll20-Performance#graphics-rendering-performance-0-2" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360041544654-Optimizing-Roll20-Performance#graphics-rendering-performance-0-2</a>) from my campaign that helped 2 of my players with lag during the last couple of sessions. I had less than 1 GB stored with 2 campaigns. Now have less than 600 MB after the purge. I'm surprised that the best solution to player lag was reduce the content saved on your maps and campaign. I really liked Roll20 because it was simple to use and easy to learn, but when it's programming starts affecting my online game.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Krothos said: For example, I had to delete a large amount of my content (characters/ handouts , as recommended at <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360041544654-Optimizing-Roll20-Performance#graphics-rendering-performance-0-2" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360041544654-Optimizing-Roll20-Performance#graphics-rendering-performance-0-2</a> ) from my campaign that helped 2 of my players with lag during the last couple of sessions. I feel I should point out that handouts are not generally an issue and are not mentioned in that article.&nbsp; If you have a huge amount of handouts with large images, then I could see that being a problem, but text handouts aren't.&nbsp; I can be fairly confident in this since I am having no issues with over 1200 archived handouts in my games (to reduce journal clutter) plus however many are visible.
Hey all, As a reminder this forum thread is specifically for UDL 1.0 Updates, Bugs, and Feedback. I appreciate the honesty (yes, even the negativity), but we need to keep the conversation here specifically to reporting bugs, giving new feedback, and UDL updates. Posts that are off-topic are going to be deleted once their sentiment has been recorded internally. Off-topic posts or nonconstructive negativity is more likely to discourage folx that WANT to post a concern, fear, or issue they've encountered from doing so. I want to ensure that every person that wishes to engage in this thread is able to. If you have posted in this forum, if you read this forum, I assume you care about Dynamic Lighting. Same. So let's make sure that we give everyone that cares about it the space to air out their thoughts and feedback to make UDL the best it possibly can be.
Wait, did you literally just say you want everyone to have the space to air out their thoughts in the same breath you said you're going to start deleting posts? People expressing that they're leaving the platform because of UDL is valuable feedback and something Roll20 should strongly take into consideration.
Yeah... People are airing their thoughts and grievances that are caused directly &nbsp;by the UDL bugs/decisions.&nbsp; That IS feedback and on-topic, it may not be constructive, but its not off-topic.

Edited 1617159035
"To make me feel comfortable with UDL,&nbsp; it needs to do the basics reliably. &nbsp; Any other feature beyond that can and should be pushed off."&nbsp; I agree with this completely. This is the main issue for me. I don't need tinted night vision if I can't move tokens or the map without severe lag. I've never felt the need to post anything on a Roll20 forum until today. I've been a member since 2014 and started being a paying member shortly after. I never cared about anything other than being able to come into a game and play it. from /roll commands to automated character sheets, as I learned things I was happy. For some problems, my group adapted, such as using another voice system because of problems, but my system worked for YEARS. When UDL was first introduced, so much functionality was behind what LDL could do. So I kept using LDL until recently when it was announced it would be retired. UDL is a disaster for me. I'm not doom-saying. Just giving the honest truth how it affects me. Every game is a snail's pace. My computer is not at issue. I have very modern computer and can play games like Cyberpunk 2077 on max graphics with no problem. Even on small 20x20 maps moving around is painfully slow. Sunday was the first time in 7 years I was at the point of moving the game to a video chat, trusting players to roll dice honestly and tell everyone the results. I was not aware of anything except an announcement saying games were going slow for some people. I am calm and very slow to anger. Sunday was close to the last straw. Today, when trying to figure out a new game, the same slowness was frustrating me. And I decided to try something. I switched from UDL to LDL and all my problems went away. It is extremely disappointing to know that LDL will go away. I cannot use UDL. And without a working DL system, frankly there is no need to be a subscriber. I don't want to learn a new VTT. I've spent time making and altering character sheets for my group. But if LDL goes away and UDL still is causing all these problems, I will revert back to a basic account or move elsewhere. I'm sorry and don't take this lightly and I probably don't understand something, but I don't see why there is a need to take away LDL when it is the only DL that actually works. Why can't both systems remain?

Edited 1617161909
"To make me feel comfortable with UDL,&nbsp; it needs to do the basics reliably. &nbsp; Any other feature beyond that can and should be pushed off."&nbsp; This is *especially* the case with lighting.&nbsp; Because most of the time during the game I have no idea what my players can actually see and it's different for each of them.&nbsp; There are a bunch of players with overlapping lines of sight and some of them have darkvision.&nbsp; They all have explored different areas and there's just no way to display all that overlapping information on the GM screen at once. So, I set up the map beforehand, and after that pretty much just need to trust that it works as they walk around.&nbsp; Because the players don't necessarily know to tell me when it's not because they don't necessarily know what they should be seeing. And right now it's real hard to trust that it's going to work.&nbsp; I've built up a pile of things that I know will break it like switching maps and adjusting token control, basically touching any map settings, etc - and I avoid those.&nbsp; But I still had a player who entirely lost vision for some unknown reason and another who's explorable darkness was reset in my game on Monday; problems which were invisible to me until they complained, and tended to be frustrating for everyone involved.
Bunny said: Hey all, As a reminder this forum thread is specifically for UDL 1.0 Updates, Bugs, and Feedback. I appreciate the honesty (yes, even the negativity), but we need to keep the conversation here specifically to reporting bugs, giving new feedback, and UDL updates. Posts that are off-topic are going to be deleted once their sentiment has been recorded internally. Off-topic posts or nonconstructive negativity is more likely to discourage folx that WANT to post a concern, fear, or issue they've encountered from doing so. I want to ensure that every person that wishes to engage in this thread is able to. If you have posted in this forum, if you read this forum, I assume you care about Dynamic Lighting. Same. So let's make sure that we give everyone that cares about it the space to air out their thoughts and feedback to make UDL the best it possibly can be. So, let´s read this again together: 'As a reminder this forum thread is specifically for UDL 1.0 Updates, Bugs, and Feedback .' People leaving because of UDL not working, UDL making their marketplace creation hell or because of UDL development being highly suboptimal is direct feedback to UDL. I have counted a single 'negative' post that was not directly related to UDL. Thus, your post would only be correct if the topic was called 'UDL 1.0 Updates and Bugs". However, Roll20 specifically asked for feedback.&nbsp; I do understand that you do not like the feedback that you get.&nbsp; But to threaten that you will remove the feedback that you asked for in the topic title &nbsp;as off-topic is another step that does not really lead to a boost in confidence, frankly.&nbsp;

Edited 1617194785
I recently tried to make a map with the UDL, and the results were a disaster - this was a fresh map, with no excess tokens aside from the players ( I run a rather large game for 10 players, and I've been running this for about 4 years now and been using Legacy for most of that time, went pro very soon after, but maybe 10 tokens was a bit much to put down), no monster tokens, nothing on the GM layer or the Dynamic Lighting Layer, just 10 tokens on the Object Layer with Updated Lighting turned on; and the amount of lag present was insurmountable. Immediately upon switching to Legacy, the lag vanished - it's like night and day. My honest opinion is just to leave Legacy in, until you can fully iron out the issues (mostly the lag) for Updated (and even then, just leave it in, Updated simply is too much of a hassle to deal with). For those at my table, our pcs range from high end to literal potatoes, with Legacy I can provide an atmospheric game, with Updated I can provide them a blue screen.&nbsp;
So, interesting effect from this Saturday's game.&nbsp; I've been experimenting with UDL and experiencing the lag that is being complained about in my games as well.&nbsp; I had set up a map in UDL where the players were in a magical fog.&nbsp; There were light sources so the heroes could see, but the fog restricted all players vision distance (regular, night, etc.&nbsp; all of it to a fixed distance).&nbsp; The intent of the map was that adding light sources didn't extend anybody's vision (like being in a normal fog, that light down the street doesn't help you see the house at the end of the street).&nbsp; To set it up rather than use light sources I actually removed them all and gave every player night vision.&nbsp; The map was fast, no lag issues, no token issues. At one time I had over 50 tokens on the map (mob of monsters, players, etc), and 6 of the monsters had a light source (magical token that "burned away" the fog) that allowed the heroes to "see into that bubble" with their normal vision.&nbsp; The map was still fast.&nbsp; So what ever the lag is, it seems to be caused expressly by the rendering of the light sources and sight lines for each token.&nbsp; I haven't experimented with the number of light sources, but have to wonder if there is some threshold of # of light sources and # of players beyond which bad things start happening with lag.
I'm just curious, but how is it that we've had paint and shape tools forever, and now that those tools have been converted for use in dynamic lighting we STILL don't have an eraser tool? It would make setting things up so much easier if I could drag a box/ellipse around a room then pop on the eraser and wipe out any doors/windows in that room and boom done.
Corey J. said: Hey Edward, We're bundling that into the Bullseye/Target fix that we're working on now, as there is a common thread there. If ultimately they aren't connected we'll get it prioritized to be addressed.&nbsp; Warm Regards, Corey J Thank you, Corey. The clarification is appreciated.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Aru said: I'm just curious, but how is it that we've had paint and shape tools forever, and now that those tools have been converted for use in dynamic lighting we STILL don't have an eraser tool? It would make setting things up so much easier if I could drag a box/ellipse around a room then pop on the eraser and wipe out any doors/windows in that room and boom done. They are vector-based graphics, which would require different tools to edit. You would need a tool to add and delete points, grab individual points, and to split paths. I'd love to see those tools.
Guys, great news. Roll20 is no longer sunsetting LDL! Just kidding, April Fools! I fully except that my soul is now destined for Avernus. So worth it.

Edited 1617295968
TheWebCoder said: Guys, great news. Roll20 is no longer sunsetting LDL! Just kidding, April Fools! I fully except that my soul is now destined for Avernus. So worth it. I think you'll find that you are Hellbound for the 8th Circle dearheart, bon voyage };-&nbsp; ))&gt;
Hey, I wanted to drop this in here given my post the other day.&nbsp; My most recent experience with UDL was September, &nbsp;so I decided to take a map that I over built and buckles under the strain of all the assets and the like I used, rig it for UDL, and see what happened.&nbsp; I figured that worst case scenario, all the issues are present and then some, or maybe it flat out wouldn't load. I am pleasantly surprised to report that myself and my two testers can report everything is working as expected, whether using light or nightvision.&nbsp; Light sources appear where they belong, they stay appended to characters, people are not seeing parts of the map that shouldn't be revealed.&nbsp; All in all, very positive.&nbsp; There were some performance issues, but they might be related to that map in particular-for whatever reason, that map is very intense on R20's system.&nbsp; I think it was related to tinting map tiles, but even with the tints removed it's still...not great.&nbsp; Anyways. I just wanted the dev team to know that I appreciate the work they've put in.&nbsp; I'm a bit more confident this may all come together yet, but it working great during a controlled test and it working when it's go time are two different things.&nbsp; It was a short test, so I can't speak to overall stability, nor can I guarantee with any certainty everything is fixed; only that it behaved during my test.&nbsp; So we are still at the bottom line of what I said in the other post: "To make me feel comfortable with UDL,&nbsp; it needs to do the basics reliably. &nbsp; Any other feature beyond that can be and should be pushed off."&nbsp; But it appears to be getting there.
Corey J. said: [...] &nbsp; New stuff! And finally here are some extra items that are available to try out now and which will be hitting live soon CIRCLES are right around the corner. Currently on Dev so we can poke at it a bit more to test it and still give you Pro users a chance to play with them if you’d like. A reminder for folks who are using them as barriers that restrict movement but not light this feature update will alter that interaction and we want to provide a better long term solution to this that you will adore.&nbsp;[...] Can we roll back this change until the " better long term solution to this that you will adore" is implemented ? Having movement restriction without light restriction is extremely nice for windows, stairs, elevated positions, etc. and many of your paying customers were utilizing this feature (I acknowledge this function was unintentional but it is very useful).

Edited 1617677293
@Kyle, if this is important to you, as a pro member you can create "windows" that block movement but not light using Scott C's Door Knocker script, available from the one-click menu. edit -- the window function of this script is not working due to UDL.&nbsp; sigh.&nbsp; It works in the sense of admitting light/vision, but it no longer blocks movement.
Valerie M. said: @Kyle, if this is important to you, as a pro member you can create "windows" that block movement but not light using Matt's Door Knocker script, available from the one-click menu. Thank you!
Hey Aru (and keithcurtis) , an eraser tool would be great to add in the Suggestions and Ideas forums with specifically how you'd want it to function. I can say with certainty that there are a few other people would who also love to see one.;) Thank you for that workaround, Valerie M. ! And Kyle , thank you for the feedback, this functionality is definitely something we've been keeping in mind as we've been implementing the changes.&nbsp;

Edited 1617486137
As far as I can tell, these two suggestion threads are still live (both request an eraser tool; the second ["Give us an eraser tool"] has slightly more votes): <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1258025/reveal-tool-circular-eraser-tool#post-1258025" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1258025/reveal-tool-circular-eraser-tool#post-1258025</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7347047/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7347047/slug%7D</a>
Sarah Rebecca Cohen said: As far as I can tell, these two suggestion threads are still live (both request an eraser tool; the second ["Give us an eraser tool"] has slightly more votes): <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1258025/reveal-tool-circular-eraser-tool#post-1258025" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1258025/reveal-tool-circular-eraser-tool#post-1258025</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7347047/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7347047/slug%7D</a> Thank you so much! I knew there had to be posts in there that I just didn't see. Yes please, go add your voice to these (I mean, if you want to).&nbsp;
I'm not the GM, but here is a screenshot from me, and one from another player.&nbsp; We are using UDL.

Edited 1617615542
Hello, I have been playing on roll20 for 3 years now. My friends have all moved over in thier Games to foundry but I have loads of custom sheets and maps all uploaded on here so I re-did my subscription, and roll20 does everything I need. I had avoided using the new Dynamic lighting system as I had seen a lot about all the early bugs that there were. Then I saw this. "With these updates, we’re ready to declare __Updated Dynamic Lighting now has all the features of Legacy Dynamic Lighting—and more." Great! Made a copy of my game, converted it to UDL and loaded in. Darkvision no longer works properly. It only has on/off. Not the old functional system of seeing dim light while in darkness and bright while in dim light. So 60ft darkvision used 30'ft 0 and multiplayer 2. This worked perfectly and looked really cool. It also means when I converted everything, it all now has 30ft of darkvison and I will have to change EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER SHEET in my game. Which are many hundreds of tokens. As it says "all the features of Legacy Dynamic Lighting" I assume it is just the case that I haven't found the right button to do this? Can an Dev point me in the right direction? Needless to say I wont be using UDL untill&nbsp; can fix this. Last time I DM'd my friends who were using Foundry now kept bitching saying "roll20 is shit," Please help me prove them wrong.
Jacob G. said: Darkvision no longer works properly. It only has on/off. Not the old functional system of seeing dim light while in darkness and bright while in dim light. So 60ft darkvision used 30'ft 0 and multiplayer 2. This worked perfectly and looked really cool. It also&nbsp; Can an Dev point me in the right direction? Needless to say I wont be using UDL untill&nbsp; can fix this. Last time I DM'd my friends who were using Foundry now kept bitching saying "roll20 is shit," Please help me prove them wrong. This has been pointed out extensively.&nbsp; If I’m not mistaken the stance of Roll20 is that they are system agnostic and this is a specific 5e request and thus does not have priority. Be aware that LDL will be gone soon.

Edited 1617661302
I'm completely locked out of one of my own games, and it appears to have started after trying to update to UDL. Clicking Launch Game brings me back to the game page. I clicked "convert lighting", selected all of the maps and clicked convert, it stalled, brought me back to this page, and now nothing seems to work. Hitting the Update button for Rise of the Runelords just gives a "please wait" and hangs (left it for well over an hour). Players can't access the game either, and I've tried in Chrome and Firefox just in case. The game had several maps with DL already set up.&nbsp; Edit: to add, the Rollback feature also does nothing (have confirmed it works on other games), and when I try to copy the game, it tells me it's updating and to try again once it's finished.&nbsp;
Two suggestions for UDL- Minor UI issue: When in view-Lighting-as-token-mode (i.e. "ctrl-L" mode), switch the lighting seen by the GM to the new token if the GM selects a new token.&nbsp; As it is, it is possible to select a new token and have the lighting remain based on the previous one unless you remember to &lt;esc&gt; and reenter ctrl-L mode. Strongly suggested functionality: Allow changing the darkness opacity displayed for players on a page when Daylight Mode is set&nbsp; (ideally via a slider similar to the control used for the "GM opacity" setting)&nbsp;&nbsp; The reason that reducing the opacity of areas blocked by line of vision is that it allows an atmosphere during daylight adventures that doesn't make it look like twilight or worse with faux shadows moving as characters walk though town.&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes, we all know that the line of sight is blocked by the tavern wall, but we've been there and know there's some tables and chairs inside - ergo, it should be possible to show only slighting dimmed, much like the areas remembered from Explorer mode - just because they're not in vision, they shouldn't be ink-black - particularly on a page in Daylight Mode.
I'd also submit a ticket for that one. <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/requests/new" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/requests/new</a> Killian H. said: I'm completely locked out of one of my own games, and it appears to have started after trying to update to UDL. Clicking Launch Game brings me back to the game page. I clicked "convert lighting", selected all of the maps and clicked convert, it stalled, brought me back to this page, and now nothing seems to work. Hitting the Update button for Rise of the Runelords just gives a "please wait" and hangs (left it for well over an hour). Players can't access the game either, and I've tried in Chrome and Firefox just in case. The game had several maps with DL already set up.&nbsp; Edit: to add, the Rollback feature also does nothing (have confirmed it works on other games), and when I try to copy the game, it tells me it's updating and to try again once it's finished.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
JC said: Two suggestions for UDL- Minor UI issue: When in view-Lighting-as-token-mode (i.e. "ctrl-L" mode), switch the lighting seen by the GM to the new token if the GM selects a new token.&nbsp; As it is, it is possible to select a new token and have the lighting remain based on the previous one unless you remember to &lt;esc&gt; and reenter ctrl-L mode. Strongly suggested functionality: Allow changing the darkness opacity displayed for players on a page when Daylight Mode is set&nbsp; (ideally via a slider similar to the control used for the "GM opacity" setting)&nbsp;&nbsp; The reason that reducing the opacity of areas blocked by line of vision is that it allows an atmosphere during daylight adventures that doesn't make it look like twilight or worse with faux shadows moving as characters walk though town.&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes, we all know that the line of sight is blocked by the tavern wall, but we've been there and know there's some tables and chairs inside - ergo, it should be possible to show only slighting dimmed, much like the areas remembered from Explorer mode - just because they're not in vision, they shouldn't be ink-black - particularly on a page in Daylight Mode. 1. I like the current system, because it allows me to check LOS and move things around based on that perception. 2. That would be great.

Edited 1617741415
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: JC said: Two suggestions for UDL- Minor UI issue: When in view-Lighting-as-token-mode (i.e. "ctrl-L" mode), switch the lighting seen by the GM to the new token if the GM selects a new token.&nbsp; As it is, it is possible to select a new token and have the lighting remain based on the previous one unless you remember to &lt;esc&gt; and reenter ctrl-L mode. Strongly suggested functionality: Allow changing the darkness opacity displayed for players on a page when Daylight Mode is set&nbsp; (ideally via a slider similar to the control used for the "GM opacity" setting)&nbsp;&nbsp; The reason that reducing the opacity of areas blocked by line of vision is that it allows an atmosphere during daylight adventures that doesn't make it look like twilight or worse with faux shadows moving as characters walk though town.&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes, we all know that the line of sight is blocked by the tavern wall, but we've been there and know there's some tables and chairs inside - ergo, it should be possible to show only slighting dimmed, much like the areas remembered from Explorer mode - just because they're not in vision, they shouldn't be ink-black - particularly on a page in Daylight Mode. 1. I like the current system, because it allows me to check LOS and move things around based on that perception. 2. That would be great. I agree with Keith on #1. Being able to adjust things while keeping the perspective of the first token is too important.