Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Opt In to the New Measure Tool!

Edited 1691641678
Andrew Searles
Roll20 Team
The new Measure Tool is available for free for everyone. Opt in to the redesign to use it today! The team has been hard at work and we’re excited to bring it to your table.&nbsp; First and foremost, this is an opt-in feature, so you can turn it on and off. To navigate back to the Legacy Ruler Tool, use the Settings button and select "Opt Out of UI Redesign." The Measure Tool includes the ability to measure using shapes. First, we've added Circles, Squares, and Cones. Soon we'll be adding a path tool and a tool that will help you measure a beam. Squares can be measured from edge to edge, corner to corner, or center of the square to the edge. Circles can be measured using the radius or the diameter. Cones can be measured by specifying an angle. To use a standard cone used in most games, you can lock height and width and the angle will be 53.13 degrees. You can also have a flat or rounded end of the cone to make a pizza shape or a triangle.&nbsp;&nbsp; All these tools have the same functionality as the old ruler tool. You can still snap the origin of what you're measuring to corner, center, or not snap at all. Also, you can broadcast your measure to others in the game with a toggle at the bottom of each tool. &nbsp;&nbsp; This is the next step in the redesign of the VTT, and your feedback directly impacts future updates! Your feedback directly impacts future updates: <a href="https://roll20.io/redesign-feedback" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.io/redesign-feedback</a> &nbsp; Bookmark this page for all future updates, including planned releases: <a href="https://roll20.io/redesign" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.io/redesign</a>
Yeah! I like it!
This is really nice.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Super easy and intuitive. I like the constrain height/width option on cones.
Very easy to use! A bit simpler than SmartAoE. I suspect folks who've jazzed SmartAoE up with spell effects will keep using it, but nice that it's not a requirement now! Thank you!
This looks great.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Nifty!
I cant measure distance using tokens anymore. Is this bec of the new tool?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Bok2,&nbsp; I am still able to measure distance using tokens via either the "Q" command or via right clicking.&nbsp; Which browser are you using?&nbsp; Have you tried Incognito (Chrome) or Private (Firefox) tabs?&nbsp;
Bok2 said: I cant measure distance using tokens anymore. Is this bec of the new tool? Maybe the arrow is displayed outside of the map. See image below: I can see the movement when moving the skeleton, but the arrow originates like 6 grids below the start position of the token. So this&nbsp; looks like a bug. &nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I had that issue, but a refresh fixed it.
Love the update! I see the offset ruler marker too, but I've noticed that it lines up when you zoom to fit. Otherwise it sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't (maybe depending on the position of the tokens in the map?). Either way, looks like a bug.
I would personally like to see the area tools (squares, circles and cones) to highlight squares relevant if it covers more than 50% of the square's area as it pertains to Pathfinder measurements. To add to above, I am also not able to measure tokens with the drag + right click or q like it was in the old UI.

Edited 1691632783
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Ekk,&nbsp; You should still be able to measure tokens using drag + right click or Q.&nbsp; However, there is a bug that at some zoom levels the measurement line is offset far from the token. The Devs have been informed.&nbsp; Please refresh your browser, and without changing the zoom level verify if you can drag + right click or Q to measure token distance traveled.
How I can get it activated I don't have those option all my friends has them :(
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Half,&nbsp; In the My Settings tab is a switch called "UI Redesign" turn that on and you will have the new measuring tools.
Gauss said: Hi Half,&nbsp; In the My Settings tab is a switch called "UI Redesign" turn that on and you will have the new measuring tools. Great thank you! :)
I love this!
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I also get the bug with Q movement, the measure line shows up some distance below the token. Also, the tool still lacks the option to lay it down as a shape for lingering effects that last a multitude of rounds. I'm sure these little problems will be solved soon, so great work (and may I say - finally?).
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Domigorgon, You can drop a shape that is persistent by holding the shift key as you draw it. Release the shift key after you draw the measurement. This functionality has been there as part of the measurement tool for...a very long time. :)
GREAT start and very handy, now to just get the other spell effect shapes to PF II, Starfinder and I bet some of the 5th Ed ones not done yet. Thanks again for this Tom

Edited 1691655223
hi,&nbsp; Not bad at all.&nbsp; only one thing : the circle has a strange measuring rule : there's a double information between the anchoring and the start of the measure.&nbsp; the anchoring overrides the start of the measure. If you say anchoring from center and measure from edge, the circle is measured from the center of a grid square... and it has the same overriding issue with the rest of the parameters EDIT :&nbsp; And we still have the issue where CTRL+A switches to the ruler, making impossible to select all objects on a page except with a drag+click
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Lionel,&nbsp; I haven't seen any bug reports about Ctrl+A switching to the ruler and not selecting all objects on the page. I was not able to replicate this in either the old or new UI.&nbsp; Could you provide reproduction steps? Settings perhaps?&nbsp;

Edited 1691660517
replication is easy : PC here, firefox or chrome, gm or player, no particular extension, private or not, any game... CTRL+A switches to the ruler. i read here and there that clearing cache was solving the issue (it actually solved the issue that was switching to the ruler when dragging anything&nbsp; from the journal to the VTT) but it doesn't... EDIT : and in legacy or in the new tool bar... it started happening when the new tool bar went up EDIT 2 : the shorcut q doesn't switch for me. one thing though, i'm on an AZERTY keyboard. but it's still strange as the "a" shortcut does switch to the hand. EDIT 3: advanced shortcuts enabled, and when i disable the advanced shortcuts, it doesn't do it anymore....

Edited 1691668942
I think the window displaying token movement information should be placed above any Token meters, as these meters obscure the window's information.
I like this new measurement tool! Thank you.
Hey Folks, Sorry about the "Q" Bug. We're pushing a hotfix not for that. It should be live in about one hour from when I post this. Thanks for reporting this. I really appreciate the quick feedback!

Edited 1691687986
hope the CTRL+A bug is fixed too ;) EDIT : also noticed that when you press Y to get the turn to appear, the map is moving back to top left corner....
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lionel: How long have you had the Ctrl-A problem? Did it appear after a particular update? Or have you always had it on the AZERTY keyboard?
Would love to see enabling the measuring/shape tool behavior as an option in the drawing tool&nbsp; (i.e. allowing us to create overlays of semi-transparent&nbsp; shapes that can be moved around the same way any drawing can). Highly useful in scenarios where players/GMs want to play around with how an area effect will play out without having to recreate the measurement over and over. Also useful for creating persistent areas of effect that allow visibility of the things within the area.

Edited 1691691851
I love the new square, cone, circle additions, but I greatly dislike the huge new information box. It obscures the map and any tokens, especially if you want to use the lingering version. I'd rather wish it were the previous minimalist version. Its not like the box give any additional info. Its just big and useless and in the way.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
seodoth said: I like the new square, cone, circle additions, but I greatly dislike the huge new information box. It obscures the map and any tokens, especially if you want to use the lingering version. I'd rather wish it were the previous minimalist version. Its not like the box give any additional info. Its just big and useless and in the way. Heh, that new box is actually one of my favorite new features. The old one always obscured the endpoint, making precise pixel measurement almost impossible.

Edited 1691692568
I guess if you care about seeing pixels. I only care about being able to see the actual map.
I would prefer for the box to display in the middle of the measurement instead of at the endpoint. It does get in the way when measuring on a city map like seodoth shows above. For the line measurement, I'd prefer just the distance in the middle of the line, although the prompt showing visibility to others is handy.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Wherever you put it, it will obscure something. The city screen shot above will have to obscure something&nbsp; regardless of whether the measurement is at the beginning, end, or middle, and depending on which way the line is drawn. For instance, in that example, if the line had been drawn upwards, nothing would have been obscured. I suppose a case could be made that the measurement box could be drawn a given number of pixels away along the direction of the measurement (always appearing beyond the endpoint), but even that could obscure something in the case of a multi-step measure. I'm happy with this. I can always see the origin when I start the measure, and I can always see the endpoint when I finish it.
keithcurtis said: Lionel: How long have you had the Ctrl-A problem? Did it appear after a particular update? Or have you always had it on the AZERTY keyboard? as said, it started happening when the new toll bar went live. but even if i haven't opted in, it was doing so. I just tried today to opt in to check on the new measure tool but it didn't change anything.&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Lionel, what happens when you hit Ctrl+Q? Does it grab everything?&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I believe that the shortcuts were updated at that time, apart from the toolbar feature. I suspect that alternate keyboard layouts were not accounted for. This should be reported in a&nbsp; Help Center Request &nbsp;to make sure a ticket is made.
Already did.&nbsp; Gauss said: Lionel, what happens when you hit Ctrl+Q? Does it grab everything?&nbsp; @ Gauss : No it does not. @Keith : do you also get the Y issue with the turn order shortcut ?? (moving the view back to top/left corner of the map.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lionel V. said: @Keith : do you also get the Y issue with the turn order shortcut ?? (moving the view back to top/left corner of the map. No, it just toggles the turn order. When you get that error, does it resize the zoom as well? I'm not sure what mis-represented keystroke command would cause movement like that.
Ekk said: I would personally like to see the area tools (squares, circles and cones) to highlight squares relevant if it covers more than 50% of the square's area as it pertains to Pathfinder measurements. To add to above, I am also not able to measure tokens with the drag + right click or q like it was in the old UI. I would also love the highlight square feature. Saw this in another VTT (I forget which) and have been holding my breath for a Roll20 equivalent lol. Got my hopes up when I saw this thread.
Could it be something related to ping buddy ? probably not or you would have noticed it before i guess.. No the zoom stays as set keithcurtis said: Lionel V. said: @Keith : do you also get the Y issue with the turn order shortcut ?? (moving the view back to top/left corner of the map. No, it just toggles the turn order. When you get that error, does it resize the zoom as well? I'm not sure what mis-represented keystroke command would cause movement like that.
how do i measure a circle

Edited 1691708570
One MAJOR issue I haven't seen anyone bring up:&nbsp; The measuring tool seems to be rounding up now (and also not displaying the full custom tag). &nbsp; Note that the measurement here is supposed to say "0.75 day(s)"
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It looks like it is hard coded to one decimal place for measurement and 2 characters for unit name. I agree that at least one more decimal place is likely needed to serve most use cases. All "standard" units in the page settings drop down are two characters, indicating that is likely the intent.
This is absolutely amazing, and I love it. This is literally everything that I want shapes to be and do. I just wish that I could do the exact same thing for a shape that I'm drawing, because in our campaign we very frequently have area effects that last more than an instant. Even for a spell that's instantaneous, we need to circle to last long enough to see what tokens are effected.
Earlier today we had a measurement that stayed up after we switched to another map. We returned to the map and the measurement was still there on the first map. The original player couldn't get rid of it.
Great addition devs. I second the requests to have an option to highlight squares that fall within the pointers area as well as the ability to "save" the measured shape (i.e., convert it to an image on the map area.) -Adam
This is a great feature addition. The ability to be able to leave a measurement on the page for a while would be handy. I know there's the ctrl+s hack to switch tools but leaving it on for extended AoEs would be really useful.&nbsp;
Hmm still broken...the Q or right click measuring