Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Opt In to the New Measure Tool!

What is not working is using the pan feature with the middle mouse, while dragging the token and measuring. Every time I try this, and I let go of the middle mouse button the token is drop. Please look into this.
We noticed that as well while fixing the middle mouse pan measure bug, and we have a ticket to followup.
Thanks, for the quick response.
This is really going to help out a lot for my campaign, thank you!!
This: Rick A. said: That black rectangle has too much information (and I'm usually a proponent for more info being a good thing). I want to know the distance: I don't need to count squares (I can do that by eye) I don't need to know who is making the measurement (the color tells me that if I care) and even the unit of measurement is superfluous. Also, I'd like to be able to see the startpoint, the ways points and end points of the measurement. In 99% of the cases, I just need 1 value. 
yeah the windows take too much places and occult the area of the arrow. This is the little problem of the tool, after that this is really great !
I just did a test. When I do a 15-foot cone with the measuring tool, it hits 7 squares which is correct, mathematically, as a measurement. That's all Roll20 is doing - giving you a measurement. It's not displaying an area of effect for a spell, but giving you a tool to make it easier to see what the area of effect is. What you are citing as the "6 squares" rule is based on not using a measuring tool and not calculating the cone mathematically. It's simply suggesting that a 15-foot cone, covers 3 squares at its end point (assuming the squares are 5 feet), two squares before that, and one square before that. It's a rule of thumb to make it easier for people who aren't calculating the cone mathematically and to make figuring out the area of effect faster and easier. Roll20 is calculating the cone/triangle mathematically. It's not there to show a spell effect but to show a cone that's mathematically produced and a measurement. You're free to ignore one of the spaces or do your counting without the measuring tool and simply use the rule of thumb that the book suggests for the area of effect. Mira said: While I am grateful for the feature, can you make an option to measure cones by the side? In D&D, a 15 foot cone is measured by the side. The tool's 15 foot cone is much bigger than D&D's 15 foot cone. For D&D it will only hit 6 squares, but a 15 foot cone using this tool hits 15 squares, which is 2.5 more. (And that's if using the rounded cone. The straight cone is even bigger)
I would like to see an option to convert a measured line/circle/square into a drawing that could then be repositioned on the map.  So if I draw a 30-foot circle to show my AOE, I could click a "keep as drawing" button.  Then I could move that drawing to wherever I want it to be rather than redrawing in a new spot, and it wouldn't go away when I measure something else.
Hey folks -- we released another update to Measure Tool today that introduces the new Beam shape! Check it out and let us know what you think.
Warlord said: What is not working is using the pan feature with the middle mouse, while dragging the token and measuring. Every time I try this, and I let go of the middle mouse button the token is drop. Please look into this. I think this is also fixed now, let us know if you're still seeing this behavior.
Once again... The "box" showing the distance, on top of a whole lot of useless info, at the end of the measuring tool covers way too much of the map. It's pretty much un-useable! Either make it smaller and transparent, or just get rid of it entirely... Also, the "bubbles" at each waypoint could be smaller, AND they are missing a measurement symbol. Like it would be nice if it showed 15 feet as 15', instead of just showing 15... That being said, don't you go adding a whole "ft" in there just to make things worse -.- I know I'm wasting my time again, but you know.
This may have been an issue before, but I just noticed that if, when measuring a path (line, with waymarks), if you right-click on top of the end-of-line box it doesn't register as a waypoint, and since the box is large relative to a map square, it's fairly easy to do this when trying to click on a square (I did it three times before I figured out what was happening). Maybe this is intended, but clicking on the box doesn't seem to have any function, so I think it should just register as a click on the map. I will differ with one other poster though: counting squares as well as feet is useful for the final box; most of my players treat movement as a count of squares, which helps with subtracting squares for "difficult terrain" in 5E (those count as two squares instead of one due to the "double movement cost" of such terrain).
Riley D. said: Warlord said: What is not working is using the pan feature with the middle mouse, while dragging the token and measuring. Every time I try this, and I let go of the middle mouse button the token is drop. Please look into this. I think this is also fixed now, let us know if you're still seeing this behavior. I can confirm is fixed, Thanks so much. Also the addition of the Beam is a nice touch, I love it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Something that might help the folks who do not like the large box: Currently, the waypoints are expandable, which is super-slick. Maybe the same functionality could be given to the endpoint, but in reverse: defaulting to expanded, but collapsible?  This would allow people to more clearly see tokens at the endpoint, which is a major application of the tool. Currently, depending on zoom level, it can cover most or all of a square or even more. Although the plain fact of the matter is that there is never going to be a solution that pleases everyone, this might help reduce that issue. Also, maybe I just noticed it, but I love that the diagonal method and the cell width are included on the toolbar panel. Handy! And the help circle has a link to the page's settings? Chef's kiss! Finally, something that might help with screen real estate here is a more vertical layout, with controls stacked rather than side-by-side. A thin rectangle is easier to work around than a square. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Oh, and panning works as expected now on the Mac. Thanks!
Since we're in a "blue sky" mood :) .... How about having a choice (either GM selectable under Game Settings , or user-selectable in the game under My Settings ) where we can toggle the default display of the final measurement: The box like we have now that can be collapsed, or the compact bubble that can be expanded? keithcurtis said: Something that might help the folks who do not like the large box: Currently, the waypoints are expandable, which is super-slick. Maybe the same functionality could be given to the endpoint, but in reverse: defaulting to expanded, but collapsible?  This would allow people to more clearly see tokens at the endpoint, which is a major application of the tool.

Edited 1694499900
Suggestion: have the FINAL Box displayed at the START of the measurement. This way, you only have ONE BOX at the start that just counts up and thus displays the final measurement at the end. This way, there is no clutter in the way and you see everything you want to see! (And make the display of numbers on waypoints optional!) What I mean is: Start a measure, Box shows up immediately above or directly next to your starting point and stays there. No other Box or measurement point (waypoint) is ever needed again. Rick A. said: Since we're in a "blue sky" mood :) .... How about having a choice (either GM selectable under Game Settings , or user-selectable in the game under My Settings ) where we can toggle the default display of the final measurement: The box like we have now that can be collapsed, or the compact bubble that can be expanded? keithcurtis said: Something that might help the folks who do not like the large box: Currently, the waypoints are expandable, which is super-slick. Maybe the same functionality could be given to the endpoint, but in reverse: defaulting to expanded, but collapsible?  This would allow people to more clearly see tokens at the endpoint, which is a major application of the tool.

Edited 1694515574
Other than the Line is bigger when using Line compared to Beam, I see absolutely NO difference between those two. The only difference is, that with Line you can have multiple waypoints... Even changing the thickness of the Beam it makes no difference visually! It is still one small, thin line... 5ft Beam: It looks like this: Now for 10ft: This looks like this: NOW compare this above to the normal "LINE" Measurement Tool: Shouldn't there be a VISUAL difference? And regarding the Changelog: Am I missing something or was this not yet released? What does happen though is, that everytime I release the tool, the measurement box opens again until I choose another tool (e.g. Select)...
UPDATE: BEAM only works with GRID ENABLED... If the grid is turned off, Beam does NOT work correctly! The others like square, circle, even cone work perfectly even with grid turned off! You MIGHT want to fix that...
What I meant to ay earlier is DROP the BLOODY BOXES!!! The measuring tool was working perfectly well as it was, just floating numbers, WITHOUT BOXES, works perfectly fine. And a minimum amount of numbers at that. Like the same info should be shown on each waypoints AND the end of the arrow. Adding a box that hides everything on the map under it is defeating the usefulness f the tool. You want to write a book with useless info? Fine, put those in the UI pop-up window. Either bump UI box transparency to its maximum, or put a slider to adjust the UI's transparency in the option... P.S.1: Why chance something that's working perfectly fine, if it's not broken?!? P.S.2: I never actually opted in the measuring tool BS, I'd like a way to opt out of it, while I look for another VTT I can actually use properly...
TheMarkus1204 said: UPDATE: BEAM only works with GRID ENABLED... If the grid is turned off, Beam does NOT work correctly! The others like square, circle, even cone work perfectly even with grid turned off! You MIGHT want to fix that... Thanks for pointing that out, we noticed that yesterday and are already working on a fix, should be out shortly (most likely today).
The Beam tool should now be working properly when the grid is disabled!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Swift!
Thanks so much - I especially love the cone shape and the options.
keithcurtis said: "Also, maybe I just noticed it, but I love that the diagonal method and the cell width are included on the toolbar panel. Handy! And the help circle has a link to the page's settings? Chef's kiss!" Yes, very nice touch. Although the white on pink text is nearly unreadable, and the purple(?) on pink link color is nearly as bad Seriously folks, there's an entire field of interface design around color, contrast and legibility. Study it and fix this rediculous design decision. Form over function has no place in a UI. Branding belongs on objects that aren't actively in use. TheMarkus1204 said: "Suggestion: have the FINAL Box displayed at the START of the measurement."' THIS! That box is a real pain.  And while I like Neo's suggestion of just displaying numbers, my concern there is that they could be unreadable on some maps. You need some kind of surround to ensure legibility. But if you can't make it smaller, move it somewhere where it won't get underfoot.
nice

Edited 1695605511
I think I've opted in, but don't see a new measure tool. What settings button are we talking about? The gear when in game? Or the settings for the game you can only access when outside of it? In any case I've searched both, can't find a way to turn on the new measure tools.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi John! Nope, that's the old interface. You can find the opt-in button in your game's settings tab (The one on the right with the gear icon).
Thanks, Keith!
Hey folks! Two pieces of good news to share: - We released a small change to the new Measure Tool this morning, where now if the person who does a Lingering measure uses their Trash Can icon to get rid of it, it will get rid of it for everyone in the game. This is what most people expected to happen and it was a small oversight on our part. - I am pleased to announce that we are working on a revamp to the design of the new Measure Tool info box (the one that shows up near the cursor) to make it smaller and less intrusive based on your feedback! That will likely go out next week. Stay tuned!
Very useful!
Cool ! Thanks !
Christopher W.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
If you set the grid cell size and then choose to not show grid, it is reverting back to the default cell size of 1, thus making the measurement tool useless unless the grid is shown.
Riley D. said: - I am pleased to announce that we are working on a revamp to the design of the new Measure Tool info box (the one that shows up near the cursor) to make it smaller and less intrusive based on your feedback! That will likely go out next week. Stay tuned! That's great!
Will the dark mode setting for the new toolbar ever be fixed? I have dark mode turned OFF cause I literally can't use dark mode for more than a couple minutes without my eyes literally hurting, but the toolbar is stuck in dark mode for me... :(
Jumping back into the thread again. Please do something about the endpoint box, it is still a eyesore (in my opinion). The biggest problem is the size compared to the endpoint. Old New
Baker_reorients said: Jumping back into the thread again. Please do something about the endpoint box, it is still a eyesore (in my opinion). The biggest problem is the size compared to the endpoint. Old New Stay tuned for this upcoming week ;)
Not only for you! It is how the sidebar was implemented. There is actually NO setting to change color of either the buttons there nor the bar itself... Edem said: Will the dark mode setting for the new toolbar ever be fixed? I have dark mode turned OFF cause I literally can't use dark mode for more than a couple minutes without my eyes literally hurting, but the toolbar is stuck in dark mode for me... :(
I think part of what's happening with the Dark Mode toggle, the Light Mode stylings for the toolbar are still in progress. When you toggle Dark Mode does the rest of the UI go Dark/Light?