Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I tested the critical on the second roll. I kept the crit range at 20. It appears to work as expected - showing another of the main damage dice and one of the secondary damage dice. You should be able to modify the crit range to 1 to test as well. If I do that it works every time - through both the normal button and the quick buttons. Spell targeting AC: I don't see it working either. I will fix this when I'm back.

Edited 1434137340
This is really stumping me. Here's a screenshot where I got it to happen twice in a row with two different character sheets, testing as the DM, with the crit range at the default of 20, using the quick buttons. Apparently it happened on both the first and second die. I should note that both of these sheets have existed for 4-5 weeks and so have gone through a few sheet updates. I'll do some testing on a newly built sheet to see if I can duplicate it that way. --- OK I figured out what I was doing wrong --- If I don't have the (Crit) section of the new weapon page lit up, it doesn't roll for critical hits. I should have realized that's why it started working when I would mess with the crit modifier. I just have to make sure everyone's new weapon section has that part lit up and it should work fine.

Edited 1434138731
@Mark When will you be back from your vacation? Hope you're having a great time and aren't coding the whole time? just figured I would drop a reminder here about hiding the quick attacks on the weapons tab, as it was in the app page. also what are your thoughts on hiding the modifiers on the weapons page too? If you have the weapons tab open in show all they are literally right on top of each other.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Mid next week. I have only done a bit of Hodge podge coding here and there.. I'll browse through this to make sure everything gets in my to do. Mystery I will try to make crit default to on if I can.
Mark said: Mid next week. I have only done a bit of Hodge podge coding here and there.. I'll browse through this to make sure everything gets in my to do. Mystery I will try to make crit default to on if I can. Thanks so much for answering so many questions and working on this stuff on your vacation time, the work is really appreciated. The only weapon I can think of that doesn't really critical hit is a net, and I've just been setting base and crit damage to 0 for those.
For the output options on Class Actions, what are the chances for a on Fumble/Critical option?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Critical damage is already implemented, but I assume you're looking to use it for other purposes? I could implement it to work on weapons, ya. I should also expand class actions to work on specific weapons ("Melee weapon 1" for example).
Ohh, the specific would be nice. And yeah, I have made critical fumble tables for both weapons and spells, and it would just be awesome to be able to have it auto-print the results when they fumble :3

Edited 1434348863
Is there anyway to turn actions from the NPC character sheet into macros or token abilities? Never mind, it was simple enough to figure out. Thank you so much for the character sheets by the way, they have been phenomenal so far!
Mark said: Critical damage is already implemented, but I assume you're looking to use it for other purposes? I could implement it to work on weapons, ya. I should also expand class actions to work on specific weapons ("Melee weapon 1" for example). Yes that would be cool.

Edited 1434382775
Would it be possible to put the Save DC for Ki actions for the Monk somewhere in the character sheet, like for all the other classes with magic?

Edited 1434382914
I think it would be awesome to have a drop down to select this type of stuff from class actions as well, as maybe a damage section as well. Although it's not really necessary as you can put it in the "effect" text. I think it would be handy for those that don't know that.
Mark said: Critical damage is already implemented, but I assume you're looking to use it for other purposes? I could implement it to work on weapons, ya. I should also expand class actions to work on specific weapons ("Melee weapon 1" for example). Talking about critical damage, I just noticed something after finishing setting up some character sheets for my players, at the moment critical damage seems to be calculated as Damage Dice + Bonus Critical Damage As opposed to Damage Dice + Damage Modifier + Bonus Critical Damage. It also ignores the bonus and penalty modifiers. For instance I can set them to 99 and I will still get crits based on the original roll.

Edited 1434481482
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Critical does not include the modifier per the rules. That is why it doesn't include stat bonuses or bonuses from bonuses & penalties. For instance a +1 longsword would be an extra d8 on a crit, not d8+1.
So; I just notice the Pathfinder sheet -kinda- has macro support for a repeating section? Dunno how they're referencing it to do it, but it has a 26 cap per section for macro referencing. Not a clue if its viable for spell section on 5e, but I thought I'd point it out.

Edited 1434488001
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Uriah B. said: So; I just notice the Pathfinder sheet -kinda- has macro support for a repeating section? Dunno how they're referencing it to do it, but it has a 26 cap per section for macro referencing. Not a clue if its viable for spell section on 5e, but I thought I'd point it out. I tried to implement this a month or so ago. It cannot work with how hide/show sections works. I write a bit about it in the old thread. Vince had difficulties implementing any kind of hide/show toggles on the macro outputs - he had to do a very limited version.
A +1 longsword crit would be 2d8 + 1 + str bonus A critical hit damage roll is 2x damage dice + 1x of all modifiers. At the moment when a critical hit is triggered it does 2x damage dice The following is taken from the basic rules pdf verbatim page no. 75 "When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack’s damage against the target. Roll all of the attack’s damage dice twice and add them together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal. To speed up play, you can roll all the damage dice at once. For example, if you score a critical hit with a dagger, roll 2d4 for the damage, rather than 1d4, and then add your relevant ability modifier. If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue’s Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well."

Edited 1434488126
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Gleeful Grognard said: A +1 longsword crit would be 2d8 + 1 + str bonus Which is exactly what the current system does. It calculates the damage as normal and adds a d8 under the crit damage part. The normal weapon damage is 1d8 + 1 + str. Crit is d8, not d8+1.

Edited 1434489228
The Gleeful Grognard said: A +1 longsword crit would be 2d8 + 1 + str bonus A critical hit damage roll is 2x damage dice + 1x of all modifiers. At the moment when a critical hit is triggered it does 2x damage dice The following is taken from the basic rules pdf verbatim page no. 75 "When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack’s damage against the target. Roll all of the attack’s damage dice twice and add them together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal. To speed up play, you can roll all the damage dice at once. For example, if you score a critical hit with a dagger, roll 2d4 for the damage, rather than 1d4, and then add your relevant ability modifier. If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue’s Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well." Maybe I can help here as I think you two might be coming at it from a different perspective. So you are both right, but for different reasons I think this is the correct setup for use with Mark's sheet. you have 1d8 for the longsword and if its a crit, it gets an extra 1d8 damage. What The Gleeful Grognard is thinking is that the "Crit damage" should be 2d8 and it should add the ability/magic modifiers in there. @The Gleeful Grognard you want to use the base weapon damage in the Damage Dice (longsword 1d8) and you want to add whatever the crit damage would be, (longsword 1d8) it will then generate like this. So if this attack Crit, you would add the Red box (1d8+ability/magic mod result) + the blue box (1d8 result) Hope that clears it up.
Mark said: The Gleeful Grognard said: A +1 longsword crit would be 2d8 + 1 + str bonus Which is exactly what the current system does. It calculates the damage as normal and adds a d8 under the crit damage part. The normal weapon damage is 1d8 + 1 + str. Crit is d8, not d8+1. Ah I think there has been a miscommunication. With a longsword+1 and strength of 16(+3) I am currently getting damage math of 1d8+3+1+(0)+(0)+0d0 = (5)+3+1+(0)+(0)+() for the normal attack (which is correct) and for a critical hit on the same attack. 1d8+1d8+0d0=(3)+(1)+() I will link an image from my test for clarity

Edited 1434489410
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah, I see the problem. That system changed on the new weapons. Adding crit dmg is no longer required. Bonus crit dmg is exactly that: a bonus. It's there for things like half orc. You do not need to do it normally.
Mark said: Ah, I see the problem. That system changed on the new weapons. Adding crit dmg is no longer required. Bonus crit dmg is exactly that: a bonus. It's there for things like half orc. You do not need to do it normally. Ah, I getcha, I was using the crit damage roll as a "if you get a crit use this damage instead" as that is how I was using it with my monster attacks. But I see the way it is meant to be used now, in additional sense(as in normal damage + crit damage manually rather than the crit damage being a sum total) I was actually using the following string in the damage bonus section as a work around -laughs- damagedice+@{repeating_weapons_melee_0_dmg_stat}+@{repeating_weapons_melee_0_dmg_bonus}+@{global_melee_damage_bonus}+@{global_weapon_damage_bonus}

Edited 1434549979
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
We decided to ditch 2e and go with 5e on a new game my friend is starting up and picked this sheet. (well this sheet helped me tip the tables to 5e for him since it so well done) This is truly an amazing sheet, I cant imagine the work that went into it. Only thing we are curious on is: 1.) Is there a wiki page for it? There is the only for the non-shaped sheet, but its only slightly helpful as a few things have been moved/look different, and the old descriptions are more cryptic hints of what to look for to find what its talking about, vs what it say to look for. 2.) Is there anyway to do mount carry weight calculations and we are just missing it in the plethora of equipment options? Seems you can only do player and uncheck it as 'carried' and manually keep the mounts weight limit and how much is on it on a handout or in the notes.
William R. said: We decided to ditch 2e and go with 5e on a new game my friend is starting up and picked this sheet. (well this sheet helped me tip the tables to 5e for him since it so well done) This is truly an amazing sheet, I cant imagine the work that went into it. Only thing we are curious on is: 1.) Is there a wiki page for it? There is the only for the non-shaped sheet, but its only slightly helpful as a few things have been moved/look different, and the old descriptions are more cryptic hints of what to look for to find what its talking about, vs what it say to look for. 2.) Is there anyway to do mount carry weight calculations and we are just missing it in the plethora of equipment options? Seems you can only do player and uncheck it as 'carried' and manually keep the mounts weight limit and how much is on it on a handout or in the notes. I'm not aware of any official Wiki Page, and I think most of the reason for that is because Mark is still tweaking things, and its hard to write living documentation. as for the Carry Weight, sadly no, but you can unclick carried for anything that a mount may be carrying so that it doesn't count towards your encumbrance.
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah no worries, just curious about the wiki page. Its pretty straight forward to use after you play with it just a short while. And mount weight also isn't such a huge deal, I make them put it in notes on it..otherwise they would have donkeys with 4 metric tons on it...haha. I just need to poke Mark about which lines I need to edit to disable the always double d20 for advantage/disadvantage. I tried to dig into it, but my html is hobby level at best..and that sheets html is complex to say the least. My players keep looking at the second roll going "AHH why wasn't that the first one?" when they like get a 2 and an 18.
William R. said: Ah no worries, just curious about the wiki page. Its pretty straight forward to use after you play with it just a short while. And mount weight also isn't such a huge deal, I make them put it in notes on it..otherwise they would have donkeys with 4 metric tons on it...haha. I just need to poke Mark about which lines I need to edit to disable the always double d20 for advantage/disadvantage. I tried to dig into it, but my html is hobby level at best..and that sheets html is complex to say the least. My players keep looking at the second roll going "AHH why wasn't that the first one?" when they like get a 2 and an 18. Ah yeah my players sort of had that as well, but they got over it. :)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No wiki - this is the first anyone has mentioned it so I haven't put any effort into making it. If anyone else wants to I'd be very appreciative. :) Removing Advantage/Disadvantage: The whole system would fall apart w/o both. 5e heavily uses the (dis)advantage system. If you really want to I can show you where to remove it, but I highly recommend against it. I'm quite sick so I won't be able to work on the sheet for a bit.
Mark said: No wiki - this is the first anyone has mentioned it so I haven't put any effort into making it. If anyone else wants to I'd be very appreciative. :) Removing Advantage/Disadvantage: The whole system would fall apart w/o both. 5e heavily uses the (dis)advantage system. If you really want to I can show you where to remove it, but I highly recommend against it. I'm quite sick so I won't be able to work on the sheet for a bit. Feel better Mark.
Get better first mate. Health is the most important thing. If I could, I'd roll hands of healing for ya ;)
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Mark said: No wiki - this is the first anyone has mentioned it so I haven't put any effort into making it. If anyone else wants to I'd be very appreciative. :) Removing Advantage/Disadvantage: The whole system would fall apart w/o both. 5e heavily uses the (dis)advantage system. If you really want to I can show you where to remove it, but I highly recommend against it. I'm quite sick so I won't be able to work on the sheet for a bit. Oh no wasn't expecting you to do any changes :) Go get feeling better!

Edited 1434662541
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
18th June 2015 (Dev) Refactored the grid system and cleaned up a lot of CSS - using scss now (also smaller. 59 KB, was 95 KB) (Dev) HTML is compiled to be smaller now (1.24 MB, was 1.63 MB) Removed the old NPC sheet Moved bonuses for Abilities/Saves/Checks/Skills to the Settings tab.
Looks like someone quaffed a healing potion ;)
Is it intentional that the bonuses & penalties section doesn't have a setting for AC? On character sheets I can do AC buff spells and magic items on the armor page, but for monsters and ranger pet I put just add it in the AC shield. I've noticed that hovering over the word Armor on the NPC sheets lets me edit that, so I keep track of base AC there. Would it be possible to add an equipment section to the NPC sheet, or a field for treasure notes of some kind?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sergio "聖司" P. said: Looks like someone quaffed a healing potion ;) Somewhat. I'm not dying now at least. I got bored so I wanted to code. :P MysterX said: Is it intentional that the bonuses & penalties section doesn't have a setting for AC? On character sheets I can do AC buff spells and magic items on the armor page, but for monsters and ranger pet I put just add it in the AC shield. I've noticed that hovering over the word Armor on the NPC sheets lets me edit that, so I keep track of base AC there. Would it be possible to add an equipment section to the NPC sheet, or a field for treasure notes of some kind? AC is handled on the Armor page. Any bonuses can be added there. It's quite nice that way as you can check worn on and off for spells that are used commonly. A bonus thing should be added, but that works for now. Monsters: They only store the AC in the shield. The field below that is for notes ("Leather Armor" for example). There isn't much reason for them to have an armor page - they have a flat AC if built like a NPC. If built like a PC then they should use the PC page. Treasure notes could be useful, but in general 5e doesn't list treasure per creature. That's usually written in an adventure or in GM notes imo. I think few GMs would use it on the sheet - too much of a hassle.
MysterX said: Would it be possible to add an equipment section to the NPC sheet, or a field for treasure notes of some kind? Myself, I added an attribute called loot, and put any special treasure in there, like a roll-able-table call for the individual treasure. Then you can get it by using a simple macro @{target|loot}.
Ed S. said: MysterX said: Would it be possible to add an equipment section to the NPC sheet, or a field for treasure notes of some kind? Myself, I added an attribute called loot, and put any special treasure in there, like a roll-able-table call for the individual treasure. Then you can get it by using a simple macro @{target|loot}. Intresting idea, do you preroll the type of treasure? I.E. Roll percent dice, and then copper/silver/etc..?

Edited 1434727350
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Preview of the less cluttered and heavily cleaned core page:
Greg B. said: Ed S. said: MysterX said: Would it be possible to add an equipment section to the NPC sheet, or a field for treasure notes of some kind? Myself, I added an attribute called loot, and put any special treasure in there, like a roll-able-table call for the individual treasure. Then you can get it by using a simple macro @{target|loot}. Intresting idea, do you preroll the type of treasure? I.E. Roll percent dice, and then copper/silver/etc..? I use the preset qty from the DMG for each treasure type in each table for lvls 1-4, 5-10, 11-16, and 17+. Not to get off topic, but I wish the tables would do inline rolls, that's all I am going to say.

Edited 1434779016
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
19th-20th June 2015 (Dev) Lots more cleanup Monk DC added to spells Added targetAC to Spells & Cantrips Added a toggle for "Quick Weapons" on the weapons page Halfling Luck (works on everything but spell attacks) Improved heart on tablets (still not great, but doesn't cut off at least) To make Halfling Luck work on spell attacks every user would have to recheck the "show attack" button on spells as those spell checkboxes weren't designed so that they can be changed by the last dev whereas the newer features I've done are able to be changed without breaking it for everyone. It's an unfortunate situation. I guess we'll have to wait until the time where repeating elements are supported and I refactor the sheet. :( My current TODO: Try to make settings global Revamp Traits. Keep fluff traits on the first page and for action like traits write "see Actions". Also include fluff traits on "Actions". Actions: Allow for "Effects" to be whispered to the GM. Make spells automatically reduce the amount left Add "Conditions" that make sheet-wide changes when a condition is toggled. Use the new roll templates greater than to enhance ac targeting. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1977290/update-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1977290/update-</a>... Vitality Points Look into proficiency dice Add support for crit fails/successes to weapons/spells/actions I generally do them in order of interest (for instance crit fails are the worst and I'll only be excited to do them if they're easy to do). Please let me know if you'd like anything added to the list or think an item there deserves higher priority.

Edited 1434801410
6 Exhaustion levels? Oh man, you dead.

Edited 1434891184
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
21st June 2015 Death saves & failures now fill from left to right (with a "X" to reset) Updating to this version will make death saves reset for all users This should minimally effect users. Hopefully this change doesn't apply to anyone in mid combat.

Edited 1434898789
Mark said: 19th-20th June 2015 (Dev) Lots more cleanup Monk DC added to spells Added targetAC to Spells & Cantrips Added a toggle for "Quick Weapons" on the weapons page Halfling Luck (works on everything but spell attacks) Improved heart on tablets (still not great, but doesn't cut off at least) To make Halfling Luck work on spell attacks every user would have to recheck the "show attack" button on spells as those spell checkboxes weren't designed so that they can be changed by the last dev whereas the newer features I've done are able to be changed without breaking it for everyone. It's an unfortunate situation. I guess we'll have to wait until the time where repeating elements are supported and I refactor the sheet. :( My current TODO: Try to make settings global Revamp Traits. Keep fluff traits on the first page and for action like traits write "see Actions". Also include fluff traits on "Actions". Actions: Allow for "Effects" to be whispered to the GM. Make spells automatically reduce the amount left Add "Conditions" that make sheet-wide changes when a condition is toggled. Use the new roll templates greater than to enhance ac targeting. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1977290/update-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1977290/update-</a>... Vitality Points Look into proficiency dice Add support for crit fails/successes to weapons/spells/actions I generally do them in order of interest (for instance crit fails are the worst and I'll only be excited to do them if they're easy to do). Please let me know if you'd like anything added to the list or think an item there deserves higher priority. Character Importer? Nudge Nudge? Awesome work Mark, looking forward to taking the sheet for a spin. Just wish we could get the bug fixed on the Roll20 app so I could use it for my in-person game on the weekends.

Edited 1434913202
Are the ability mods calculating right on the current version of the sheet? The dex mod on the example you showed a couple days ago is way off. I figure its probubly something to do with testing but thought I'd point it out just in case. Also I like the less cluttered look. Very nice.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greg B. said: Character Importer? Nudge Nudge? If only I could become motivated to work on it. It's a lot of work. :( Thanks for the constant interest and complements. I too wish some of the bugs would be fixed. Mihdi said: Are the ability mods calculating right on the current version of the sheet? The dex mod on the example you showed a couple days ago is way off. I figure its probubly something to do with testing but thought I'd point it out just in case. The high numbers are there for me to test the input fields with bigger numbers in case people go into double digits. They come from the settings page where bonuses can now be applied to Attributes, Ability Checks, and Initiative. No bug. :)
Mark said: Monsters: They only store the AC in the shield. The field below that is for notes ("Leather Armor" for example). There isn't much reason for them to have an armor page - they have a flat AC if built like a NPC. If built like a PC then they should use the PC page. Treasure notes could be useful, but in general 5e doesn't list treasure per creature. That's usually written in an adventure or in GM notes imo. I think few GMs would use it on the sheet - too much of a hassle. It would definitely be useful to have a bonus section for armor mods, like when someone casts Shield of Faith or a similar spell. I have a campaign with a bunch of cultists and they don't use full character sheets, plus our paladin is often using that spell on someone. I also use a NPC sheet for the ranger's pet, and it gets to add the Ranger's Proficiency to AC, which I would prefer to use the separate field for (easier to keep track). As for loot, I have just been using the Traits section, but that can get pretty crowded. I like Ed's suggestion of making an attribute for it.

Edited 1434923020
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I will definitely add an AC bonus. Either in the Bonuses & Penalties section or on the setting page. I'd like it on the Bonuses & Penalties, but I'll have to add another row for it. It won't work for NPCs though as their AC field isn't auto-calculated.
A few things I found. June 8 sheet. I dragged the initiative macro to my macro bar and when clicking it, the macro did not run. It gives this error (Lander is obviously my character's name) No ability was found for %{Lander Calben|classactioninitiative} I tried the same macro call in the token macros and it gave the same error. When I used this button from the sheet, it works fine. Looking at the code snippit, there is a misspelling in initiative_to_tracker (extra i). It seems to be working from the sheet and I have no idea whether it is linked to the issue above but thought you would want to know. @{Lander Calben|output_option} &{template:5eDefault} {{character_name=@{Lander Calben|character_name}}} @{Lander Calben|show_character_name} {{title=Initiative}} {{subheader=Ability Check}} {{rollname=Initiative}} {{roll=[[ d20 + @{Lander Calben|intiaitive_to_tracker} + [[@{Lander Calben|initiative_tie_breaker}]] + (@{Lander Calben|global_check_bonus})]]}} @{Lander Calben|classactioninitiative}

Edited 1434986145
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
classactioninitiative doesn't exist. If you're trying to call initiative it is "initiative_overall" intiaitive_to_tracker is indeed mis-spelt. Can't change it now or it'll cause breaking changes.
Mark said: classactioninitiative doesn't exist. If you're trying to call initiative it is "initiative_overall" I understand that is the issue but this was automatically generated when I pulled the button from the sheet to the macro bar. Not sure if you have anything to do with the way the macro is called when doing that. Thanks for letting me know the correct call though. H
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I dragged initiative to the macro bar and then clicked and hit up. Mine showed as "%{Dakra|Initiative}". Not sure what you did differently.