Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dice Rolling Plans & Suggestions

The sort[] command could allow you to quickly create pools for games like Legends of the Wulin / Weapons of the Gods / ORE / IronClaw, right? Via something like sort[7d10] to get 7 numbers between 1 and 10 in order, or sort[1d4,4d6,1d12] to get 6 numbers from 1-4,1-6,1-12 respectively?
Is there any plan to allow the players to pick the color of their dice? For example, I want my wild die to be red and the others to be my normal default color. I'm rolling with /roll 1d6! + 3d6, and I'd like to the exploding die to stand out on the virtual roll.
Any word on when we'll have some of these options? I could really use the grouped dice option for my Adventure Game system. A typical combat roll would be [2d6, 1d8]DL1
They are being worked on. If you really want to help features get done faster subscribing is the way to go. The better funded the project is the more time the mods and devs can devote to making it better! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/account/supporter" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/account/supporter</a>
My friend and GM has been developing his own system and world for a while now and I've been helping and beta testing. The system is called MTGS and it has a few unusual features and rolls in it I have questions about. 1. It uses a percentile dice system, so everything is d100 and lower results are better. That is, you have to roll under your target number, so in our case, rolling a 1 is a critical success, while rolling a 96 or higher is a critical failure. Roll20 currently shows a 100 in green and a 1 in red when rolling d100. Is it possible to change this so that a 1 shows up green and a 96 or higher shows up red? 2. There are a couple of weird rolls. For instance, in gunplay, if you're using an automatic weapon you roll to see if you're under the target number, and if you are that's a hit, you've hit him with at least one bullet. To see how many additional bullets you hit him with, you subtract your roll from the target number, divide by the weapon's recoil number, and round down. So for instance, if my character Phil was shooting at a guy with an MP5, it would go like this: TN = 37+20 /roll 57-d100 [57-20] = 37 < > < > 37 / 18 = 2.055 < > /roll3 1d10+1! [4+1] = 5 [1+1] = 2 [10+1] = 11 [3+1] = 4 Damage: 22 < > So question is, how would I macro that using the current system, if it's even possible? The main sticking point is the division, I don't see where it lets you do that.
The /gmroll feature is good, but my group uses "player hidden" rolls for certain things. When we play in person, we have a box the player rolls into, where the result is hidden from his view, and the DM/GM can see the result. We use this for certain skills, like stealth, where the player should not know what the result was, or his actions may be dictated by the result. Everyone knows that rolling a 2, even with +12 skill is still fairly likely to fail, and rolling a 19 (+12) is fairly likely to result in success. So, I propose a /Sroll (secret roll) that the player would initiate, and the roll is sent to the GM only. Any of the usual die roll formulas could be used, including flavor text. (e.g.: /sroll d20+15 Stealth check to sneak up on the guard.) The player would see something like "Your roll of '1d20+15 Stealth check to sneak up on the guard.' has been sent to the GM." I'm sure there would be many uses for a feature like this, and it should not be too difficult to implement, considering that /gmroll already exists.
It would be nice as a GM to have the option to fix the outcome of a "roll" for the purposes of moving the story along in a desired direction or and/or guaranteeing a particular outcome, but to any other player have it look like a random dice roll.
Only if the other players are aware that you have the capacity to do that. That's the minimum. If you think that it is so important to move the the story in a certain direction, why does it have to look random? Just do it and be honest with it.
It would be nice as a GM to have the option to fix the outcome of a "roll" for the purposes of moving the story along in a desired direction or and/or guaranteeing a particular outcome, but to any other player have it look like a random dice roll. Just to nip this in the bud, there has already been a VERY long thread about the specific mechanic. As of right now we have no plans to implement "fake rolls". I'm sure we could figure out a way to technically make it happen but we want the virtual dice to be just like dice on your RL table. If you roll them you get the result. The thing we might look into is @brotherxaos' suggestion for rolls triggered by the player that only the GM sees.
The thing we might look into is @brotherxaos' suggestion for rolls triggered by the player that only the GM sees. Speaking of that, it sounds to me like a Dice Tower.
Gauss
Forum Champion
First, I just want to say thank you for making this VTT. I have only recently discovered it and I think it is great. My question is: Is there an option being planned where you can roll multiple groups of dice that are not added together (as a whole) but added together in groups? Example: /roll 4g2d6 where g = group and it spits out results of: 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, and 2d6 (each 2d6 added together). While I recognize this can be made into a macro it such a macro would create many lines of text. Thank you for your time, Gauss
Please Please Please create a repeat function for dice rolling
I'm not sure the best way to accomplish it, but it would be nice to incorporate some sort of option list for rolls. Let me explain: I'm playing a Pathfinder campaign as a Dwarf Barbarian. Because of various feats and abilities, there is rarely a time I have a simple "attack" roll -- there are modifiers if I'm using a one- or two-handed weapon, each of which has its own modifiers, whether I'm using a Power Attack, whether I'm in a rage, whether it's my first or second attack, whether it's the first hit in a round, plus natural attacks like bites and horns, and whether THOSE are a primary or secondary attack, along with Critical confirmations, damage rolls, damage from critical... As a result, I have dozens of macros, reduced to just a few characters each for the names, and they fill my macro bar. Just for attacks. Trying to remember which macro is which when they are not in the bar takes almost as long as trying to locate all the modifiers on a character sheet and type them in each time. There are a number of ideas I've had. Conditionals would help - especially on things like crit confirmation. Having a checklist where I could tick off "Attack: 1st; Weapon: +2 Greatsword; Rage: True; Power Attack: False; Vital Strike: True; Lunge: False" and so on, and let it caclulate all the associated values. Giving macros a separate Display Name and identifier (so one could type #rpa but see "Raging Power Attack" on the list). Or perhaps Drop-down lists -- so I could select "Attack" on the macro bar, and then select from a list of various macros involving different attacks. Character Variables would be wonderful too -- every time I level up, I have to go through and update EVERY macro again, and hope I didn't miss one... I've tried breaking it up so that, in a macro, I may have /roll 1d20+(3+3+2)+2-2+1 just to help remind myself which bonuses and penalties are coming from where. Being able to have -- while not a FULL character sheet in roll20 (though I suspect no one would complain if there was) -- at least some way of entering a few key values that the macros could refer to -- allowing us to update in one place (when leveling up or obtaining a new piece of stat-altering equipment) and have the corresponding macros all use the new value. I'm sure some of the suggestions here have value in many other systems, not just Pathfinder, and I'm not sure which ones would be the most effective, but hopefully it helps a bit. Thanks!
Timothy S.
Plus
Sheet Author
Confirm Critical Hit would be a nice feature. And successes by multiples, e.g., in a percentile system successes may be multiples of 10. so a /roll d100<43 with results as follows would be successes: 43 = zero 33 = 1 23 = 2 13 = 3 03 = 4
So, I did not see handling for White-wolf dice. They make a lot of games and are quite popular. I see you can do 9d10 > 7, and this does count successes (thanks!). But, it does not count 10's as double successes. I tried using a macro, but I could not get it to work. Any suggestions? Dave M
I think a lot of comments are geared toward printing / producing an expected outcome in text based on dice rolling, but perhaps would be better suited in refining the mechanics for creating rolls that you can't currently produce at all. Printing the results of a roll in a new format is not so pressing, imo, as having encompassed most common ways to roll.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but a second 'chat' window for dice rolls would keep down the block o' spam and allow messages to not be lost in the spam. Making it a table option would keep it friendly for people who want it to be in the same place as chat text. - Gauss
I have a question about grouped rolls. Will... [2d6, 1d8]k2 ... roll two six sided dice and one eight sided die and keep the two highest out of those three?
They are being worked on. If you really want to help features get done faster subscribing is the way to go. The better funded the project is the more time the mods and devs can devote to making it better! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/account/supporter" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/account/supporter</a> Ok... I subscribed... can I have grouped rolls now? :D
I would like to see dice notation parsing in regular text or /em content. That way I could type: /em swings his sword and rolls a [1d20+4] for [1d8+1] damage Just noticed this in the other thread. I too would greatly enjoy being able to put dice rolls into an emote just like that and have all the calculations/rolls displayed in a tooltip when you mouseover the rolls in the emote.
I would like to see dice notation parsing in regular text or /em content. That way I could type: /em swings his sword and rolls a [1d20+4] for [1d8+1] damage Just noticed this in the other thread. I too would greatly enjoy being able to put dice rolls into an emote just like that and have all the calculations/rolls displayed in a tooltip when you mouseover the rolls in the emote. What a terrible mood breaker! Dice rolls inside narrative text, ugh! :/ But an interesting feature otherwise. :)
It's not like you would have to use it if you didn't want to. It would be an option available to those who do.
Hi, I'm planning a campaign based on the Dungeons & Dragons board game. The rules are a bit easier and it can be used other dices. All dices are d6 with swords as values​​. These have values ​​from 0 to 3 or even special symbols. One way to integrate these custom dice and evaluate their values ​​and output would be great. Here is an example image of the dice.
This is more a question for everyone than an actual request, since I doubt it's common enough, but: My own system requires players to roll a pair of dice and take the middle result (relative to how many sides the die has). This is used to indicate degrees of power for damage -- middle is normal, higher is better, lower is worse -- while also curving it so that you don't have completely unpredictably wild results. Specifically, they roll 2d8 and take whichever result is closest to 4.5. So: 4,8 = 4; 1,7 = 7; etc. If both rolls are equidistant, they cancel and you get "normal": 2,7 = [normal]; 4,5 = [normal]; etc. Curious if anyone else uses a system like this. I doubt it's widespread enough to warrant adding to the wishlist, and it's easy enough right now for us to just look at the two results in a 2d8 (ignoring the total, which is irrelevant to us) and use the middle value just like we would if we were rolling real dice. (In fact, we often do roll real dice even when we could use the virtual ones.) Really, I'm just wondering if this mechanic is used by any other system. Sorry if this is too off-topic.
That's a really weird system... seems like too much effort for a game.
Would it be possible to have an Exalted style of 'die explosion' where rolling a 10 on a d10 counts as two successes rather than allows another roll? I'd love to move my campaign to this system and right now this is an obstacle. :-)
I love the inclusion of exploding dice (2d6!), and the (future) feature of penetrating dice ( 2d6!p) However, could you simplify it down to just "2d6p", and remove the exclamation point notation? It would make it much easier to type and flow easier with my new HackMaster players. Thanks.
dice skins?
Hi, I just found out about this website, and am interest to try out Roll20.net. I run a community of online RPGers for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition, and we use mostly Fantasy Grounds II and Maptool. Regarding dices, it would be great to be able to create custom skinned dices, so that new kind of dices such as those used in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd or Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, both RPGs made by Fantasy Flight Games, be available within Roll20.net. Is there any plan to make custom skins? Thanks Philippe aka Ceodryn
Hi, I'm playing in a Shadowrun 4e game and +/- are done to dice pools. Is there any way to modify the N in the standard /roll of NdX+/-Y? Because as it currently stands doing anything like the following in a macro doesn't jive: /roll 6-d6>5 I'd like to make a #initiative macro and use the macro modifying option of #initiative N to modify my macro quick or any other Shadowrun macros. Any advice or planned features? Thanks, Dave
We are using D&D 2E rules with the site. I would like to see a few 'simple' options. We have greater (>) than and less than ( =) and less than or equals (<=) would be nice. yes, I can subtract one from the roll first, but it's easy to forget after a few drinks :) I would also like to see simple math equations allowed after the (and =). To check for success when rolling a to-hit, we roll 1d20 > THACO - modifiers - AC. I am thinking about able to set up a macro for '/roll 1d20 >= 20 -' and then call it with '#mymacro 5' to roll a to-hit against a mob with 5AC.
Actually, I believe that the > < symbols function like greater than or equal to. Let me double check. edit - I was right. If you type /roll 1d1 > 1 it always comes up as a success even though it shouldn't be.
Gauss
Forum Champion
It is working as designed. In the help file on this there is a reference that indicates that > and and =< I will see about getting that reference expanded upon so it is more clear. - Gauss
Really hoping we get grouped rolls with the keep low options soon.
I'm not really too keen on the whole dice-stuff, but I feel some 1d20 rolls seem to succeed almost all the time. This is coming from me, as a player, rather then a GM. I could be wrong, but maybe some fine tuning might be in order. *shrugs* I really have no idea what I'm talking about. XD
More dice stuff is always awesome. Grouped rolls are vital to running The Adventure Game. As it stands, it requires too much effort for me to want to run it on a regular basis due to the lack of grouped rolls. Especially w/o keep low as an option. As for d20 always rolling high? Pfft.... players in my Saturday game (of which I am a player also) constantly have low rolls. It all averages out though. It wouldn't actually be random if there weren't any streaks of high or low rolls.
Gauss
Forum Champion
One of the players in my Monday group is getting a reputation for always rolling bad but despite that I don't see the 1d20 rolls having a skewed distribution in either direction. Of course, I haven't rolled 1000 times and plotted it either. :D - Gauss
Are there any plans for a slightly more complex macro system? I would love to be able to set rolls as variables, as well as use conditional statements (if/else) in a macro.
No, there's no plans for maptool macro scripting.
Hi, I'm playing in a Shadowrun 4e game and +/- are done to dice pools. Is there any way to modify the N in the standard /roll of NdX+/-Y? Because as it currently stands doing anything like the following in a macro doesn't jive: /roll 6-d6>5 I'd like to make a #initiative macro and use the macro modifying option of #initiative N to modify my macro quick or any other Shadowrun macros. Any advice or planned features? Thanks, Dave An option like the above would also help me greatly. Furthermore an option as outlined in this thread <a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/3612/character-abilities-for-sr4#Item_1" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/3612/character-abilities-for-sr4#Item_1</a> would be great addition to the characters attributes and abilities.
So I read through this thread, and I'm not sure if you plan on or have already added an, if success then roll.... option, it seems like it would be a really nice feature to be able to roll my to-hit macro and dmg macro in one, or allow me to emote only if successful.... or perhaps, allow for rolls per success.... I'm not going to bother writing the script out, just wondering if this was on your list :)
I have said this before in other threads but I would really really really like to be able to map pictures or symbols to dice to roll custom dice either 3d or just text. Especially for games like Edge of the Empire, which is coming out soon, or One Ring!
There is a large community of online Hero players. The only thing keeping Roll20 from being an ideal fit for Hero System is the lack of support for a unique method of counting the dice in Hero. The system is called "Counting Body" in reference to its origins as a method for rolling dice (d6) and generating two values: STUN and BODY. In the game, STUN will knock you out and BODY will kill you. This method of "Counting Body" is used by many powers/abilities in the game that don't generate BODY. For instance 6d6 Flash (which blinds a target) uses this method to determine the number of seconds a target is affected. The method is simple: 1s are worth 0 BODY, 2-5 is worth 1 BODY, and 6s are worth 2 BODY. For example, if my 6d6 Flash result were 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 6 then the total number of seconds the target is affected (based on the BODY of the roll) would be 7. If this had been a damage roll, such as from an ogre's club (which 6d6 is about right for), the damage would cause 7 BODY and 23 STUN. The STUN value (or effect value) is the raw total on the dice. The game does use 1/2d6 on occasion, and when this happens a d6 roll of 4+ is counted as 1 BODY, otherwise it is 0 BODY. In the above example if the roll were for 6 1/2d6 and the result was 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 6, 4/2 (where /2 denotes the result on the 1/2 die), the total would be 8 BODY and 25 STUN. This is pretty straightforward to code (I've done it for 2 other dice parsers), and support for it makes the difference between a VTT that works okay to one that is ideal for the game. Hero players are a devoted fanbase but distributed around the country. There is no single VTT that supports Hero 100%, although MapTool comes close. With this support I think you might find numerous supporters. All of the other features of Roll20 support Hero perfectly. /roll 6dH or /roll 6.5dH would be a simple enough notation for how the dice need to work. There are other times in the game where you just need to roll Xd6, "Counting BODY" is just one of those unique things about the system. Thank you for your consideration.
how does one multiply ? we have a spell that affect is 1.5 times the role of a d20 and i have yet to figure this out
Gauss
Forum Champion
/roll yDx*1.5 where y is the number of dice and x is the size of the dice. Example: /roll 1d20*1.5 - Gauss
Hey, I would be interested in a feature that makes a minimum result. Like when a feat says "When you roll 9 or less on a d20 roll, it is treated as a 10". Not necessary, I understand, but would make some things easier.
I know there's a bug with the exploding dice, (currently when rolling /roll xd10!!ky the max roll is a 20) But in L5R there is a disadvantage when you *want* to explode only once, instead of continuing, so it would be nice to have the option to explode once, as well as more than once.
This~ I feel that it's important to make sure that most games can work with roll20 before moving on the finer stuff. I've played D&D and DARPG on Roll20, but I'd like to be able to play WFRP3e as well. For that, we'd need support of custom dice. Hi, I just found out about this website, and am interest to try out Roll20.net. I run a community of online RPGers for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition, and we use mostly Fantasy Grounds II and Maptool. Regarding dices, it would be great to be able to create custom skinned dices, so that new kind of dices such as those used in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd or Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, both RPGs made by Fantasy Flight Games, be available within Roll20.net. Is there any plan to make custom skins? Thanks Philippe aka Ceodryn
Still waiting on grouped rolls. :(
Is there a way to do some basic math functions prior to the roll. An example being (3-1)d6, hen to further that function, allow for variables to be passed from the character sheet, so that (3-1)d6 would be (3-[damage modifier])d6... where [where damage modifier] is an attribute on the character sheet that the player/gm can modify during the game? Ultimately it would be used for shadowrun, so we could have an ability like Automatics (as an example of a macro) where we could have the following: /roll ([automatics]+[agility]-[wound mod]-[situational mod])d6&gt;5&nbsp; this would allow the players/gm to just feed/update their attribute numbers on the character sheet without having to rewrite macros or type in chat... [I'm lazy ;-)] Maybe I missed the basic math section... all i could find was + / - Thanks and keep up the great work!