Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Your plans for Roll20 and the Systems to use with it

Warhammer 40,000 RPGs are the big plan for me.
Pathfinder will be my mainstay, but I also have at least a couple of modern/near future campaigns I'd like to run via Spycraft 2.0. If Roll20 can handle that system, it can probably handle any system. We'll see!
Arcana Evolved and Savage Worlds--Day After Ragnorok
I'm thinking of using this exciting system for board gaming more than role playing. Yeah, I know, VASSAL, but not every board game has a VASSAL module, and anyway this site is a lot more slick and html5-ish ;)
Also once I get a library of gubinz together I'll try running a games of Eclipse Phase and some 40K RPGS (Dark Heresy and Deathwatch), definitely looking into starting the older 40K games GORKAMORKA and TITANICUS on Roll20 as well, seeing as tokens can quickly be found/made for the games. Let us know how you go with Eclipse Phase -- it's one of those games that's tough to find local players for, so it would be perfect for an online game (not to mention very transhumanist of us all). I'm curious as to how Roll20's assets will stack up for modern day and futuristic games; a lot of the assets I've seen so far are fantasy based, but I'm sure that will change as more people sign up. If anyone wants a player for a Chaosim CoC, Cyberpunk 2020, or Eclipse Phase game, definitely give me a yell!
Im just thinking about neuroshima hex , with good icons menagment i think is quite possible - everything as a test .
I'm getting an old group back together that some of us have not seen each other in at least 2 years, and we played our last game together 10+ years ago. Now we're scattered across the country, all leading different lives. But Roll20 is going to give us the chance to play one more time together (maybe more).
to learn how to play tabletop.
Probably some Savage Worlds and some Starmada: Nova first off, then maybe other things.
A couple of friends of mine who no longer live anywhere near each other are planning on testing our own system via Roll20, it looks like it will be a huge improvement over using skype and screenshare.
I am excited about running some D&D games, namely Greyhawk Ruins. I was able to upload the dungeon map and then scale it appropriately. I am also thinking about running my 2e version of Dark Sun with some cool stuff added in.
My main use will be for D&D 3.5, but I had some other ideas while walking my dog just now... FASA Battletech* WizKids' Mechwarrior* WotC RoboRally* *does Roll20 let you rotate tokens so you can set their facing, because these games need it I was also thinking that building up a set of recommendations and tips for each game on how to do it in Roll20 would be a good series of discussions and articles for the site. For instance, in D&D, what should use use the auras and 3 stats for? What should the color markers mean? Folks may have differing ideas, but I bet there's some recommendations by folks who've been running in Roll20 for awhile.
You can rotate tokens by selecting the token then dragging the little green/white circle around.
GURPS. Definitly GURPS. So I;m really grateful for hex grid, as well as square one ))
I REALLY want to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition but the proprietary dice are definitely a set back. If there was some way to put it on here, I would love you longer time. As it is I'm playing Shadowrun and HERO.
I was also thinking that building up a set of recommendations and tips for each game on how to do it in Roll20 would be a good series of discussions and articles for the site. For instance, in D&D, what should use use the auras and 3 stats for? What should the color markers mean? Folks may have differing ideas, but I bet there's some recommendations by folks who've been running in Roll20 for awhile. That is what the intention of the "Specific systems" category on the Help Site is for. It's just empty right now :-). But if anyone out there in the community wants to start writing up articles for different systems basically doing what Janx is talking about (here's what the status markers are for, here's how you roll the common dice mechanics, etc.) we would gladly add it to the Help Site!
I am hoping to use this system for Star Wars Saga, which is my primary system. Tricky though as tokens will be hard and also soundtrack as I imagine images and music is all licensed. Not having a Star Wars soundtrack is quite the blow, particularly in my games where I take a great effort in choosing my music.
I'm interested in using this for the re-release of Gamma World to take advantage of the deck system but it needs to be beefed up more to allow players to have individual hands of uploaded cards. And of course the DnD Next play test. I'd really like to be able to get a little more complicated macro coding to be able to use the character stats instead of hard numbers.
i found "star fleet battle manual" at a garage sale and always wanted to play but not at the risk of breaking any of the pieces or tearing the pages. if anyone who has played it wants to help me build the game on here it'd be most welcome. (image is from google but that's the one i have)
I REALLY want to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition but the proprietary dice are definitely a set back. If there was some way to put it on here, I would love you longer time. As it is I'm playing Shadowrun and HERO. Back when I got my first copy of D&D there were no dice in the box, just a sheet of cardboard "die-cut randomiser chits" and a note blaming the shortage of plastics on the Oil Crisis, with dark hints about the Carter administration. The idea was that we should put chits marked one to four in a cup labelled "d4", etc. And then, instead of rolling a die we were supposed to draw a chit at random from the appropriate cup, replacing it immediately. (Despite the alleged unavailability of plastics, you could buy dice and everyone I knew of did. Rumour was that the importers opened the boxes, took out the dice to sell separately, and replaced them with the chits and note.) This suggests to me a way that you might emulate WHFRPG dice if rolling your actual dice isn't good enough for you. Make a deck for each die type (there are three, aren't there?) each containing a card for each face, with appropriate graphics. For each die you roll, draw a card, note the result, and shuffle it back into the deck. I would suggest putting small counters onto labelled areas to tally the results of a roll as you go. Or you can roll real dice.
What would I /not/ use it for? Almost all of my game playing is via Skype these days. Games and systems played online last year: Kill Doctor Lucky, Three-Dragon Ante, The Trouble with Rose, Wushu Open, QAGS, Zorceror of Zo, Spirit of the Century, Don't Rest your Warhammer (DRYH+Warhammer Fantasy hack), Ocean, Panty Explosion Perfect, Wild Talents, Invaderz, Lady Blackbird, and I'm sure I forgot a few. :-) Things I'n looking forward to in the future: Magical Burst, Dungeon World, Three Card Coyote, Lacuna, Void Vultures, Bliss Stage, Cosmic Patrol, Buckaroo Banzai, Do - Pilgrims of the Flying Temple, Maschine Zeit, The Aegis Project, and more. I 'd also like to take my hand at a few things like creating a campaign for Tsuro, use it for helping to run a virtual gaming convention (MonkeyCon One), and use Roll20 to prototype the development of some war games that I'm designing. Did I mention I like online gaming? :-) -- TAZ
Wargaming. It'll be hell of a lot easier to play, say, brickwars, over this than over skype.
Just ran a session of my Old School Hack game today, and it was great.
So far, my game group has used roll20 for : A FATE style game and a Hunter:The Vigil game. Games up next: Lamentations Of The Flame Princess, Leverage, Marvel Heroes, and Adventurer-Conqueror-King
I'm going to use Roll20 for running GURPS Fantasy and maybe Dungeon Fantasy and Reign of Steel campaigns. My idea is to create customized tokens, maps and handouts. I'd like to add some background music/sound to it, but I'm not sure about having time for all of it! Fortunately, Roll20 campaign setup saves a lot of time, which is a great asset for me.
I tried Roll20 for the first time last night. I used it to run my nWoD game that's been going for a year now. We've used a variety of VTTs and nothing comes close to the ease of use without all the extraneous junk I don't want. I will also be using it for my D&DNext playtest and to play my in-development minis game <a href="http://www.skirmishtactics.com" rel="nofollow">www.skirmishtactics.com</a>
I plan to use Roll20 mainly to prototype board games with my playtesters. Eventually I hope it will allow others to play my games besides my local group.
I'm hoping to get a RuneQuest/Glorantha game going (using Mongoose RQ2 or Legend or whatever it's calling itself these days, plus some house rules). I'd also like to try (D&D 4e-like) Gamma World. Maybe it was my low expectations, but my Dark Sun group played it a couple of times when some of the players were no-shows and it was such a hoot.
I am going to use it to play my own selfmade System, that focuses a lot on ballanced combat. :)
I'm going to drag my friends on here & play some WoD & swear at them for moving so far away we can't do it F2F!
Missed the Kickstarter by 2 days. Currently playing a Pathfinder game. Just made my own GM account, and am setting up a Zombie Apocalypse Campaign. Not 100
Missed the Kickstarter by 2 days. Currently playing a Pathfinder game. Just made my own GM account, and am setting up a Zombie Apocalypse Campaign. Not 100% on rule systems yet, likely will use a slimmed down version of d20 modern, with some Pathfinder updates(I like how they fixed 1st levels skills with the trained bonus). Am looking forward to Content contributor accounts that would allow folks to make campaigns and or encounters for various genres with their own assets and then market them to other players. (Free if only using found art, pay if using created assets)
Missed the Kickstarter by 2 days. Currently playing a Pathfinder game. Just made my own GM account, and am setting up a Zombie Apocalypse Campaign. Not 100% on rule systems yet, likely will use a slimmed down version of d20 modern, with some Pathfinder updates(I like how they fixed 1st levels skills with the trained bonus). Am looking forward to Content contributor accounts that would allow folks to make campaigns and or encounters for various genres with their own assets and then market them to other players. (Free if only using found art, pay if using created assets)
Just a status update on my campaign. Right now I have three players (almost 50 years of gaming experience between us), playing in my Dragonstar Reboot that uses Pathfinder conversion rules. I am actually running a bunch of old Living Dragonstar modules for them starting with LDS01. My player Sean who is the most senior of us has nothing but good to say about the Roll20 Interface. All of my players have a lot of great comments. As for the map tools, with only a few simple images i am able to create very engaging maps, and for a color-blind person with no real artistic or visual sense, I have to say making maps is incredibly easy. We got our first game in today and it went very well.
I'm using R20 for my post world breakdown RPG. I'm also making a Turn based strategy for this. Just a simple 1v1 game. :)
If I get the opportunity I'll definitively kick Roll20 with Earthdawn 3rd Edition. ;)
I plan to use it for 3 purposes, 1 of which no one seems to be doing: 1) playtesting my campaigns + practicing DMing with all the one-shot hungry guinea pigs (I love you guys) 2) learning new games 3) playing chess variants and other board games which are either a) too expensive to play irl or b) too hard to find a local group Thanks so much for existing roll20. You may be in the beta stage, but your'e still one of my favorite sites online~
Doing a 4e one-shot for some friends I no longer get to game with since I moved...
Going to give it spin in my TMNT game.
I'm planning on running some D&D retroclone or the old Basic/Expert D&D - maybe some Savage Worlds later. Basically anything that has minimal book keeping and doesn't distract you from the game. Having run a couple of online games, I want to keep my mind and my players minds as uncluttered as possible and focused on what is happening. I don't get why people would want to play 3.x or 4e through Roll20. Seems like a huge hassle to get stuck in that molasses of mechanics and rules-speak. This from a DM who ran 3rd edition from it's start to last year.
I don't get why people would want to play 3.x or 4e through Roll20. Well, I wouldn't play it face-to-face either. But then, I gave up on D&D as not matching my needs back in '83, so I don't share your taste for retro D&D either. Seems like a huge hassle to get stuck in that molasses of mechanics and rules-speak. This from a DM who ran 3rd edition from it's start to last year. RPGs are pretty diverse, besides which each one appeals to a wide and subtle mixture of desires. Some role-players enjoy dealing with mechanics, husbanding their resources, making choices between well-defined alternatives, taking chances, dealing with contingencies, managing complexity. Just as others enjoy story-telling jam sessions, and others like to appreciate vicarious experience through their characters. It's no stranger than some people enjoying chess.
My gaming posse have spread themselves around the globe. Scheduling and committing to a 4-6 hour block of rpg goodness has been extraordinarily difficult for us. That is, until Roll20 came along. Because of Roll20's awesomeness, we're able to play mini sessions (1-2hrs) on the fly! At the moment I'm running the Red Hand of Doom campaign (D&D 3.5), but I'd love to give other systems a go on the future, like Trail of Cthulhu/gumshoe.
Currently playing some D&D 4E, and some Shotgun Diaries - which works surprisingly well on Roll20!
Castles & Crusades
Along with various RPG's, I've recently been experimenting with table top games- particularly Ogre/GEV/Shockwave. It's a great way to play strategy games- although dual GM'ing or multi-GMing would be very helpful to improve fog of war- right now it's hard to do setup so neither side can see what the other is doing...
I would love to play Warhammer 40,000. I think this system would be nearly perfect for tabletop war games as well. The roll20 system smashes other older board game simulators like VASSAL as the interface is so easy and clean. I wouldn't mind playing the old HeroQuest board game either but you would have to simulate the custom dice.
We are playing Palladium Fantasy, Rifts, and Dresden.
This thread and Wil Wheaton are making me want to play Fiasco so hard D: Anyway, I'm prepping an indie RPG group that's...uh...essentially Power Rangers, but with less stupid. Also with the real-time editing, I'm really hoping my NPC's will be able to express themselves old-schoo JRPG style.
I was also thinking that building up a set of recommendations and tips for each game on how to do it in Roll20 would be a good series of discussions and articles for the site. For instance, in D&D, what should use use the auras and 3 stats for? What should the color markers mean? Folks may have differing ideas, but I bet there's some recommendations by folks who've been running in Roll20 for awhile. That is what the intention of the "Specific systems" category on the Help Site is for. It's just empty right now :-). But if anyone out there in the community wants to start writing up articles for different systems basically doing what Janx is talking about (here's what the status markers are for, here's how you roll the common dice mechanics, etc.) we would gladly add it to the Help Site! How would one submit such an article?
I was also thinking that building up a set of recommendations and tips for each game on how to do it in Roll20 would be a good series of discussions and articles for the site. For instance, in D&D, what should use use the auras and 3 stats for? What should the color markers mean? Folks may have differing ideas, but I bet there's some recommendations by folks who've been running in Roll20 for awhile. That is what the intention of the "Specific systems" category on the Help Site is for. It's just empty right now :-). But if anyone out there in the community wants to start writing up articles for different systems basically doing what Janx is talking about (here's what the status markers are for, here's how you roll the common dice mechanics, etc.) we would gladly add it to the Help Site! How would one submit such an article? If you're super-tech-savvy and know how Git works, we have a Github repo of the help site here that you can submit a pull request for: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/help.roll20.net" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/help.roll20.net</a> Otherwise, if you know Markdown, just write it up in Markdown and send it to us at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>. If you don't know Markdown, just write it in plain text and send it to us and we'll take it from there :-) We'll be sure to credit you in the article when it appears on the help site! Thanks!