Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Your plans for Roll20 and the Systems to use with it

Eventually, I'll be running a game of Super Console (console.wikidot.com), with some additional FF Tactics/Tactics Advance-style grid setup. It'll be easier for my casual players to use this than maptool or RPtools, since i won't need any funky macros and such, just the capability to roll a d20 and move stuff around. This is, of course, counting on the stilted conversions I'm doing of regular Final Fantasy Jobs to the system and adding in some Tactics-specific stuff (movement stuff mostly).
So far I'm only planning on running RuneQuest 6th edition.
I've used Roll20 to playtest Villains & Vigilantes 3.0 (info at <a href="http://www.monkeyhousegames.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.monkeyhousegames.com</a>), which uses all the standard polyhedra dice and normal die rolling conventions, so it works fine. I plan on using it to playtest my upcoming Bethorm RPG (info at <a href="http://www.bethorm.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.bethorm.com</a>), which is a new game based on TSR's 1970's Empire of the Petal Throne by MAR Barker. Bethorm uses two kinds of rolls: a 2d10 roll where you need to see the numbers rolled on each die (which Roll20 handles just fine), and a 1d10 roll where a 1 or 2 is "low:, a 3 to 8 is "average", and a 9 or 10 is "high". Roll20 doesn't have a mechanism for that last one as far as I know, but it's simple enough to just roll a d10 and interpret it manually. Finally, I want to use Roll20 for my latest published game, Cavemaster (info at <a href="http://www.prismnet.com/unigames" rel="nofollow">http://www.prismnet.com/unigames</a>). The problem is that Cavemaster doesn't use dice or cards - it uses rocks. The player has a certain number of rocks representing their ability. Say it's 5. They secretly split those rocks between their two hands (perhaps 2 in one hand and 3 in the other), and their opponent does the same with their rocks. Then they each choose one of the other players' hands, and the rocks in those hands are revealed. Whoever reveals the most rocks wins the challenge. The only way I've found to make this work on Roll20 at all is by using the video, and having the players handle real rocks. It's not a very good solution. I posted a suggestion for face-down card play, which would enable number cards to stand in for handfuls of rocks. Hopefully they'll implement that suggestion!
We play a house rule, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3.5 hybrid D&D game we call 2.5. The DM uses 4E source material which he converts for our epic, high level, meta gaming 30th lvl+ characters. We do a lot of high impact, gory violence, based off an old critical hits table from White Dwarf magazine, created for the Top Secret game. So that you can do 70 points in the eye in a single round... it's mind blowing! Now that you guys have released the Space packs today, my group will probably do a little Traveller some time in the near future, no pun intended. Also, while this hasn't been addressed, we're a much older group of players, going on 30 years for some of us, and 20+ for the others. Our kids in 5-10 years will be able to join in. I fully plan to roll dice in some old aged home for retired D&D players.
Yay, it turns out that Roll20 already supports face-down cardplay, and I just missed it. So I made myself a custom set of cards, and now I can play Cavemaster too :)
Starting to run BFRPG <a href="http://www.basicfantasy.org" rel="nofollow">http://www.basicfantasy.org</a> with my group.
I'm not exactly sure yet... I might test out the GMing mechanic and play a game of Snakes on a Plane: The RPG with a select few people. I'm a little gunshy at it... and not sure how to pull it off.
Pretty much anything I can. Right now I am running Warhammer 40k rpg Dark Heresy. I am hoping to try doing miniature games on here also like Battletech, Warhammer 40k or any number of other ones.
Iam trying to run savage worlds and dndnext.
Currently running a dnd 3.5 game
Stewart W.
Marketplace Creator
I'm gearing up to run a Torg campaign. I've already uploaded images for a complete Torg Drama Deck and I'm just working with my players to get their characters created. Oh, and I'm spending some time working on uploading art to the marketplace. :-)
Playing in two D&D 4th Edition games and running The Adventure Game beta tests via Roll 20.
I am currently running a Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia game set in the Forgotten Realms. I am using the 1st Advanced Dungeons & Dragons edition of The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (the old grey box) and the 1st AD&D module N5: Under Illefarn as the foundation of the campaign. The party is currently on their way to Illefarn Mountain in order to discover the cause of poison spilling in the Shinning River and stop it. I am currently working on setting up my 4e Dungeons & Dragons (non-Essentials) game using Roll20. This game is also set in the Forgotten Realms, but it is using fourth edition of The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and is based upon the introductory adventure set in the frontier town of Loudwater in the Grey Vale region. Following the recommended path, the party is currently exploring the ruins of Spellgard using the 4e D&D module Scepter Tower of Spellgard , and has just entered the catacombs after nearly killing all the Darano clan wererats (a single halfling escaped into the ruins) in the northern ramparts section.
Star Wars D6 from WEG. We built a lot of the tools in google docs.
I'm thinking of running a campaign using Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition) and maybe eventually Legend of the Five Rings (4th edition).
Would love to try Earthdawn with using roll20. Haven't explored how the exploding dice and target number macros would be feasible. Really fun game with elements of Exalted, Shadowrun, and D&D.
I used to play Pathfinder a lot with some friends from abroad, but eventually we got fed up with MapTool and decided to let sleeping dogs lie. Recently, though, we all started getting the itch to play again, and so here we are. It's a perfect way to take my mind off the wisdom teeth I had removed recently.
A friend recommended Roll20 as a visual aid (60" flat screen) for our sessions. Makes it easier to explain terrain, line of sight and other mechanics when everyone can clearly see where they are in regards to everything else. This site has sucked me in and now I'm scouring the web for Star Wars D6 maps. Going to try to include friends who couldn't make it to the session now. Aside from maps, we're using this as a "dry erase board", "who gets what from the pizza guy", and the dice roller (no more questionable rolls). I foresee laptops and tablets being more common place during our sessions now, but that's ok. With this site available, we aren't confined to the table anymore! Is there a way to make the wild die rule work with the dice roller?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Please explain how the Wild Die rule works. - Gauss
Please explain how the Wild Die rule works. - Gauss In that system, you roll a pool of d6s to resolve actions. One die in any pool rolled is designated the 'Wild Die.' At the physical game table this is usually represented by a die of a different color than the rest of the dice in the pool being rolled. If a '6' is rolled on the Wild die, then you add 6 to the pool total and you roll the Wild Die again and add that result to the pool total. The Wild Die can be rolled as many times as a 6 results on that die.
Gauss
Forum Champion
So the wild die is an exploding die. Yes that is doable. The command for exploding dice is ! after the dice. Example: /r 1d6! So if you are trying to roll 5d6 and 1d6 for the Wild Die then you want to put in: /r 1d6!+5d6 It needs to be in that order because if you put: /r 5d6+1d6! the ! will apply to all of the rolls. - Gauss
THANK YOU! However, if a 1 is rolled on the wild die, both the wild die and the next highest die rolled are removed from the total.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I assume you mean that the Wild Die Rule performs that way? (Rather than Roll20's exploding dice roller.) - Gauss
I like the system independent aspect of this application. My plan is to use Roll20 in prototyping a star ship combat game, with the feel of Star Fleet Battles, but much more streamlined than even Federation Commander. I think there's a game series that attempts that ( titled, "Call to Arms" ) ... however, I'm going for a slightly different direction regarding the game-play mechanics involved and Roll20 seems to be a good choice for play-testing this concept. Just wish there was a way to export the campaign to my computer or even download the web app to use on my computer when making quick edits.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Bosco, I might be interested in such a prototype. I play SFB, whenever I can find players that is. - Gauss
Doing my first full campaign system using Dark Heresy, my group has shifted between different games such as Pathfinder, Ops And Tactics (That one is with another DM), and a homebrew Resident Evil one. Naturally we're enjoying Roll 20 so far and just getting to grips with the gameplay style (Even though I'm running it, I haven't mastered everything yet!)
Gauss: I might open a copy of this to the public for play testing. Thus far, designing this game has been for the benefit of my friends and it suffers from borrowing from various other IP's. Yet, for casual play to work out the kinks ... don't think I mind. :-) Where do I post to announce such a thing?
Gauss
Forum Champion
You could announce it in Looking for a Group. - Gauss
Are there any plans to support the Dice from "Star Wars - Edge of the Empire" ? It would be great to play this game via Rolld20.
Gauss
Forum Champion
M.M. What are the dice requirements for your game? - Gauss
Hopefully I'll soon be able to run a simple Unisystem based "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" game with one of the smaller campaigns provided in the Core Rule book and pre-generated characters. Just to work out the kinks and such. Of course if anyone else gets one started up first I'm joining it so fast the mouse will explode.
Are there any plans to support the Dice from "Star Wars - Edge of the Empire" ? It would be great to play this game via Rolld20. M.M. What are the dice requirements for your game? - Gauss Edge of the Empire uses standard polyhedral dice but the numbers are replaced by various symbols that determine success or failure. You can find a summary at FFG's site here <a href="http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3746" rel="nofollow">http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3746</a> . The rulebook provides a conversion for using regular dice as well. You can check this forum thread <a href="http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=317&efcid=46&efidt=708757" rel="nofollow">http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=317&efcid=46&efidt=708757</a> for a quick reference guide that includes the conversion table. My advice would be to keep this handy while using roll20. I would probably scan it in and keep it somewhere on the map. If roll20 decided to somehow substitute the symbols for normal polyhedral rolls, they might need written permission from FFG to avoid copyright and/or trademark issues.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Personally (not speaking for Roll20 here) I doubt Edge of the Empire dice will ever be included. First, you do have the conversion. Second, you are right that there are probably legal issues. With that said, IF 3d dice reskinning ever occurs (I am not saying it will, I am speaking personally here) then maybe players can reskin the 3d dice themselves to match EotE. Alternately, if any kind of redefining of dice numbers is ever made available that could work. Something like this: /roll 1d6; 1=Success; 2=Triumph; 3=Advantage.... Then whenever the dice roll comes up a 1 it spits out success, a 2 spits out triumph. Perhaps you should suggest it. :) Edit: A third alternative just presented itself, a variation on Fudge dice could be coded. Again, request it and maybe itll happen. - Gauss
Edit: A third alternative just presented itself, a variation on Fudge dice could be coded. Again, request it and maybe itll happen. I wasn't thinking about Fudge dice. That's a good point. Coding the dice to spit out "AA" for 2 advantage when rolling an "8" on an ability die could be a (relatively) simple but very useful solution. Abbreviations could be: Success = S Failure = F Advantage = A Threat = T Triumph = R Despair = D I suppose you could probably use ASCII to get some fancy elements too, but I think the simple abbreviations would be easier to follow. Anyway, some food for thought. Thanks for the replies, Gauss.
Currently, I'm in a rotating GM D&D Next campaign for which we're using roll20 and Skype (for voice chat). I've also run and played in roll20 games that use my homebrew system.
I am running a modified GURPS system (converted to roll high because I always hated the roll low system and a couple of other tweaks). We've been actively working on this system for almost 2 years now and have it down to a pretty smooth operation. We have been using, and continue to use TeamSpeak3 for voice chat. We've only been using Roll20 for about a month now and I'm not sure if we will switch to Roll20's voice system or not. We like the whisper option on TeamSpeak. I'm really, really enjoying the ability to just drag and drop stuff onto the game board with Roll20.
One one hand been keeping it quite traditional with D&D and on the other my group have been playing A Song of Ice and Fire. I'll most likely dabble with World of Darkness as well.
I am going to play Pathfinder and Shadowrun 4.
I am interested in using Roll20 in order to maybe try out a couple of different systems before settling for one & then trying to rope friends into it. I'm totally new to pen & paper RPGs (closed I ever got would be playing Warhammer a good 13/14 years ago, & obviously that's not all that close) but have always been kind of fascinated by the idea & the potential for creativity & just plain ol' fun. There's a couple of system I'd like to at least give a try to see if they are my bad, & I'd also like to actually have a go at playing at getting a familiarity with any rules before I try out being the GM myself. This seems perfect for that opportunity.
I came across Roll20 when looking for solutions to run a Star Wars Saga Edition campaign for my old college buddies who've moved away. I'm really happy with the feature sets and once income comes my way, I plan to support the development of this great project. This is good stuff right here! In the long term, I'm thinking about running a d20 Modern zombie survival campaign.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm going to be starting a BFRPG game.
I may be testing FATE Core with Roll20.