Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Area of Effect Templates for Spells

+1 this seems to have been talked about a lot, but nothing actually has happened even from the post's conception
Just throwing another +1 on this to keep it alive
This is one of the remaining items that I'm used to from other tools that  Roll20 doesn't seem to do at all. +1
+1. This is a long over-due feature.
+1 on this.
Yes please. My workaround isn't perfect. +1
Oh heck yes. I liked this suggestion from the first post, and I also want to say that Jay R's visual suggestion is the best one of them (with the square/cube added ofc). I have a bunch of tokens for this already, but as others are saying, it IS clunky to do with tokens, and it's clunky to do it with "just art" from the library. Even more so since it's very easy to forget Alt+Dragging, so they always come out shrunken down to the 1x1 grid, and then I have to either resize it, or delete it and drag it out again while holding Alt. And if it's a cone, I also have to rotate it, and place it... so it's a lot of work, when we instead would like to be able to just use the ruler for this thing, as in Jay's example quoted here! :) Jay R. said: I think this would be best implemented as a toolbox tool. 1. Click at the origin point and drag in the desired direction. Distance would be displayed as it is with the ruler tool. 2. While holding the drag at the desired distance, tap a key to toggle between line, cone, circle. The targeted squares would highlight. Here's a mockup of what I imagine:

Edited 1595363526
Why is this not a feature yet? Please roll20 devs, this would be extremely useful. +1 to this suggestion.
Jay R. said: I think this would be best implemented as a toolbox tool. 1. Click at the origin point and drag in the desired direction. Distance would be displayed as it is with the ruler tool. 2. While holding the drag at the desired distance, tap a key to toggle between line, cone, circle. The targeted squares would highlight. Here's a mockup of what I imagine: +1 this would be amazing!
Much needed, +1
+1 on this.
+1 from me as well.
+1 
+1
I've noticed that no one from Roll20 has responded. Is there a better place we should be posting ideas and feature requests? Is there a way to get someone's attention and get some discussion going about if this can be added to the roadmap?
Usually, suggestions do not get attention until they hit 200 votes or when some other development overlaps or touches on the suggestion. I would still add comments and ideas here, as it provides one place for users and the devs to read everything and consider the use cases the community has.
Jay R. said: I think this would be best implemented as a toolbox tool. 1. Click at the origin point and drag in the desired direction. Distance would be displayed as it is with the ruler tool. 2. While holding the drag at the desired distance, tap a key to toggle between line, cone, circle. The targeted squares would highlight. Here's a mockup of what I imagine: +1 on this. Amazing idea !
+1
+1
this would be a great idea, +1 for this
+1, but note that Pathfinder and D&D 5E use different templates for the different types of spells: e.g. Pathfinder has arc as 90 degreess; 5E has an arc of 60 degrees. The origin of a spell might also be calculated differently for volumes.
+1
+1
+1 This should be a standard tool.
+1
+1
+1 for Jay's tool comment and also for Hex support. cone, radius, square radius, line
+1
+1
+1
Less than 50 away to get this to 200, keep bringing your parties here guys, they have to notice it eventually :v
Please do this! Hype train for spells!!!
+1 Definitely do this.
+1 Please!

Edited 1600157715
4 years old - I am coming to realise the Roll20 is a joke. I will definitely be migrating to Foundry.  Get a grip Roll20 dev team - once the current set of games finish up, unless we see a major update (excluding the damp-squib that is new dynamic lighting), you are going to lose players fast! 
Yes I want this as well
+1
+1 This would be incredibly useful
+1 agree, this should be a standard feature. 
+1 for Jay R's suggestion.
+1 on this ouo
+1 for me! This would be SO valuable!
+1 from my end too!
+1 for sure! Make it happen Roll20!
+1
+1
DM Todd Bloom
Pro
Marketplace Creator
+1   Excellent idea!
+1 That would be a WONDERFUL addition. 
+1 Great idea
I think the best to implement this would be to have a more sophisticated aura option. Square and circle is already there, it should maybe just cling to the grid (which I don't really need). The only thing missing to me here is the cone, which of cause would be a circle segment in 2D. I could imagine a token with that aura option (widening angle + range) and simply add the direction by rotating the token.