Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Area of Effect Templates for Spells

It shocks me that this isn't a function already. Maptool has it and with a game that has a shifting variable for spell casting size, it's basically allowing the ruler to function as a spell marker.  I don't know if it's hard or not, and really I guess I don't care?  This has been suggested for over 5 years, consistently pushed by people that pay to use the site, and still there's nothing that shows any interest from the devs.  Feedback, if nothing else, would be very much appreciated. 
+1
+1
Needless to say... +1!
+1
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Wulfgaar said: Actually going to a marketplace artist might be a good solution for static "wireframe" style because depending on how its done it can be rather specific to one game. ... ... If a marketplace artist does do it, I personally would prefer a different color than black or grey because my grids are those colors. So, I was looking around for ideas on my next token pack and came across this thread. I'm absolutely up for creating some of these. My question to you (and anyone else who wants to answer) given that this isn't a built in option yet, but could potentially become one, is it worth paying 5 bucks for to get a selection of tokens to use? My thought would be to create each of the major AoE shapes in multiple colors with a semi-transparent fill or theme based on the type of attack. My specialty is animation, but that might be overkill here. As a creator, the bare minimum I can charge is 4.99 (other than free) for a pack, so what options or what kind of variety would make it worth the $$ to you?
As a creator, the bare minimum I can charge is 4.99 (other than free) for a pack, so what options or what kind of variety would make it worth the $$ to you? I'd pay for a list of square shaped AOE effect. Even if it was collorless, due to dire need. But if we could have some different collors to differentiate the elements of the spells, that would be awesome. For Example: a red for a Fireball grid, maybe a gray, not so transparent, to a darkness spell...
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Danilo C. said: I'd pay for a list of square shaped AOE effect. Even if it was collorless, due to dire need. But if we could have some different collors to differentiate the elements of the spells, that would be awesome. For Example: a red for a Fireball grid, maybe a gray, not so transparent, to a darkness spell.. Good to know. I'll put together a pack using the kind of established areas (15/30 ft cone, 20ft cube, etc..) in different themes. Thinking Radiant, Fire, Ice, Necrotic, Acid and Poison. Since they'd be used as more of a guide, than a lasting effect, should they just be still images or would it be a better value to you if they were animated?

Edited 1606349728
There are already plenty of packs available in the marketplace with different spell templates, but all of them require you to drag the artwork onto the map and then resize them accordingly (or manually create tokens for each of the different spell templates from the supplied artwork). There is no need for yet another set. Christopher K said: Danilo C. said: I'd pay for a list of square shaped AOE effect. Even if it was collorless, due to dire need. But if we could have some different collors to differentiate the elements of the spells, that would be awesome. For Example: a red for a Fireball grid, maybe a gray, not so transparent, to a darkness spell.. Good to know. I'll put together a pack using the kind of established areas (15/30 ft cone, 20ft cube, etc..) in different themes. Thinking Radiant, Fire, Ice, Necrotic, Acid and Poison. Since they'd be used as more of a guide, than a lasting effect, should they just be still images or would it be a better value to you if they were animated?
Farling said: There are already plenty of packs available in the marketplace with different spell templates, but all of them require you to drag the artwork onto the map and then resize them accordingly (or manually create tokens for each of the different spell templates from the supplied artwork). There is no need for yet another set. Huh? I use this pack and I don't have to do any resizing.  
Oscar A. said: Jay R. said: I think this would be best implemented as a toolbox tool. 1. Click at the origin point and drag in the desired direction. Distance would be displayed as it is with the ruler tool. 2. While holding the drag at the desired distance, tap a key to toggle between line, cone, circle. The targeted squares would highlight. Here's a mockup of what I imagine: That is exactly we all want, i prefer submenu on the magic wand to choose the type of form Love this idea like everyone else but would definitely prefer a submenu as it is hard for some people to press a key and use the mouse at the same time.
+1
+1
Any updates on this? I had a player cast a new spell with a 60 feet cone that nobody had done yet on that campaign, and it was a bit of a struggle to space it out accordingly on short notice. Additionally, I see a friend of mine who runs their own games on a different VTT that has this type of tool implemented, and it's hard to understand why Roll20 doesn't yet.
Riley 8^) said: Any updates on this? I had a player cast a new spell with a 60 feet cone that nobody had done yet on that campaign, and it was a bit of a struggle to space it out accordingly on short notice. Additionally, I see a friend of mine who runs their own games on a different VTT that has this type of tool implemented, and it's hard to understand why Roll20 doesn't yet. I've had my first VTT-Experiance with Roll20 and I realy like the plattforme and the devs. overall. I just watched their last stream on twitch, where they answered a lot of community question. But last week, i decided to switch to an other VTT. I've watched a couple of videos about how to do a work-around for Spell AoE and other tools that i would like to have, but then came across some general discussion about the difference between Roll20 and other VTT. For me, Roll20 offers a great service, but the development is more focuse on mentaining a stable enviroment, that developping and implementing new features. I appriciat the honesty of the devs in that regard, but i am done waiting for features to be implemented to Role20, when you can have the same features in other VTT, that are way younger.
+1
+1 to this Literally trying to figure out how to just make the spell shapes easy for everyone to see.
+1 from me, this would be so useful
I don't understand How this over priced, Antiquated system that will provably be long lost and gone in another year or two, has taken 5-6 years to even respond and than taking a month and still not done?  I a single person alone could make the art work and write a program from scratch to implement this in about a week. If it wasn't for Co-Vid, I am pretty sure this ship would have sunk.
Looking forward to seeing Parker K's work in the store.
+1 Especially for wall spells that are variable at runtime (that is, the caster decides on the shape of the wall on a case-by-case basis).
Simple just implement the texture in a paint form. done
I've created so many area of effect templates for my game, it's becoming bit of a headache navigating through the various shapes and dimensions. Implementing a drawing tool that snaps to grid and matches a cone in either orientation or radius would be so nice (cubes are easy enough with the existing tool). Especially for players to plan out their next move, but in that case, the final result isn't displayed until a right click or similar. 
+1
+1 Definitely need this, controllable by players with no DM intervention required.  Even better if it can be associated with macros, but I'll take adding it to the toolbar either way.
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Having this without having it count against our storage allotment in the form of tokens would be great. Apologies to those creators who are making income off said tokens.
+1 YES to J.R. option Jay R. said: I think this would be best implemented as a toolbox tool. 1. Click at the origin point and drag in the desired direction. Distance would be displayed as it is with the ruler tool. 2. While holding the drag at the desired distance, tap a key to toggle between line, cone, circle. The targeted squares would highlight. Here's a mockup of what I imagine:
Robbie said: thanks but this is not quite right should be like this
I ran into a Thunderwave argument about how to implement it's 15ft Cube aoe and i think a spell shape based on poly lines would be great, so I just choose AOE->cube->15ft and drop a lined cube that automatically adjust based on where I drop it. Doesn't sound like it's too hard to do but I don't know anything about coding so... 
If this gets implemented or even assigned a status marker, Roll20 should take care that it's not only D&D focused. One of the reasons why I remain Pro with Roll20 is that it tries to remain rules system neutral. These AoE templates should work in hex grid systems too. It's not just spells but detonations, fire hose sprays and other events that could be modeled with this aid. 
This feature was suggested 5 years ago and Roll20 still has not implemented it. It is really useful and doesn't seem that difficult to implement. This complete deafness to the desires of the community is why people are jumping ship to other platforms. 
+1 from me. Five years ago, it was a great idea. Nowadays, it simply needs to be done (given the appeal of roll20's competition)
+1 How has this not been implemented? Other vtts have it already.
Yea this seems like a no brainer
I think it's an incredible Idea.  I read someone commenting though that it's been requested for a long time and the developers just don't seem interested.  Maybe they make too much off sales for the DLC.
STILL waiting on this Roll20!!! SIGH Tom
I'm perfectly happy to pay a couple bucks for art from the marketplace - and that has been working just fine for me. But unfortunately, you still have to set up the art as the default token for a character in order to make it work well.  Which means I now have a ton of extra character sheets sitting around in my game making everything take longer to load and run more slowly. A more lightweight way to set up journal entries for spells would be nice. Obviously some sort of new framework where AoE effects were their own thing - and you assign a particular size and shape with a particular skin as part of a spell or ability on a character sheet - that the player could then spawn with a click would be better.

Edited 1629491181
Bast L.
API Scripter
While I know this isn't ideal, and a proper tool, like the one Foundry has, would be better, I did write some scripts a while back that may be useful to pro subscribers. D&amp;D:&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/Bastlifa/fd7b86b06eb48a4e871221af224bedc9" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/Bastlifa/fd7b86b06eb48a4e871221af224bedc9</a> Pathfinder 2:&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/Bastlifa/b6c8cc4396c0e8ed9815de83e4123b43" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/Bastlifa/b6c8cc4396c0e8ed9815de83e4123b43</a> (the comment on the PF2 gist has the 60ft burst image, the rest are in the imgur links in the code comments)
+1 Again. How has this not got a response yet?
Not sure about this one. I have my own personnal solution, and it's easy. I just create a token with an aura which size matches most character skills (3 meters, in this instence). Make sure to autorize all players to use it, make the token small and choose a transparent color for the aura.
Would love this to be developed +1
Good evening, all. Have any of you looked at the Area of Effect Template Pack, created by Owlbear Emporium. I'll post the link here: <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/460/area-of-effect-template-pack" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/460/area-of-effect-template-pack</a> I think this will come pretty close to doing what you want. and you can add it to any game. I use these for my campaigns.
My problem with the Owlbear one you note (currently showing up here <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/6173/area-of-effect-template-pack" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/6173/area-of-effect-template-pack</a> ) is that it does circles as circles, meaning I have to adjudicate "is that square on the map sufficiently covered to be inside the spell?" I use this one instead ( <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/9347/area-of-effect-spell-templates-bundle" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/9347/area-of-effect-spell-templates-bundle</a> &nbsp;), which aligns neatly to the grid, but which, unfortunately, doesn't actually do the radius areas quite correctly.&nbsp;

Edited 1637591391
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Hey, for you Pro subscribers, I just released a script called SmartAoE that tries to take a swing at emulating this functionality. Check out the forum post here . Click for example
+1 This would be very convenient, and would speed up spell casting so much. Jay's suggestion looks really good, and I think would be a nice easy way to use the ruler not only to figure out movement, but spells too.
+1&nbsp; The platform still desperately needs this
+1 because we still really need this

Edited 1641614970
+1 I really love roll20 and things that make to game easier for my players really helps me as a dm to focus on other important aspects of of running a game, it also helps my players to feel engaged in their actions. Anything that can put some more control into their hands keeps their fingers on their mouse and off their phones.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Roll20... 300+ votes and not even a reply, for a feature that comes standard on other platforms. It's getting reaaaal hard to justify the subscription anymore.