Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Area of Effect Templates for Spells

+1
+1 Devs please add this function as those of us playing D&D use a lot of spells.
+1 Would be appreciated if implemented.
Indeed, wonder when the next Twitch round table is and we can voice our thoughts there and in person!! Tom
+1
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Just linking my previous post on this suggestion thread for new voters with Pro subscriptions that might be interested in an api solution. If just using for basic targeting visualization, there is literally no setup required (it auto generates the necessary tokens and even a chat menu macro on install) and is very simple to use in this capacity. If you want more functionality (e.g. auto rolling saves and damage, etc) it has tons of options of varying complexity depending on how much setup time you want to devote - all optional. While an integrated VTT tool definitely has my support and would be really great (especially for Free subscribers), it would likely take quite a while to implement so this could fill the void in the meantime. 
Still no reply on this from dev? This is one of the main reasons I'm swapping to foundry so I'd love to see it on roll20
+1 I think this would be gert especially if you could tie it to you spells. Click spell, prompt caster for to select template and spell level, case and let the casting player drop the template. This would work well with that new map layer that is in dev.
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1 Gonna add this, but I have to add more specifically what I would want. As a player, the DM having this stuff isn't helping me much when I'm trying to figure things out between my turns, plus the DM has enough to do during combat. If I have to wait for them, I won't really be ready on my turn... and I'm usually ready on my turn. I'd prefer a glorified version of the ruler, or like drawing tool/ruler combined type thing, where it can snap to the corner, and can be made not visible off turn so I can play around with it (or I can't decide what I want to do). I can use the drawing tools, but they don't have measurements so I have to visually count squares as I go. (A simple solution might just be to allow changing a drawing once it's placed, so that I could pull it out further or whatever.) As it is, I just draw crude stuff so the DM gets the idea, and usually we can work out moving it a bit if their ruling is not hitting who I want. ;-) I wouldn't want effects cause it's just one more thing to freak out my browser, and just a light color just to see where it is is fine. For me, this isn't just about fireballs and seeing who it hits. It's about putting a lasting effect down so we know where it is, like a spike growth. I want that measured correctly and marked in a way that doesn't obscure things visually, although most DMs have been ok with my crude drawings as we get the idea. The token idea sounds very weird to me. The aura idea doesn't make sense to me because it's centered on the token and aoe spells generally are not.
@katala, I couldn't agree more, this is exactly my pain as a DM and as a Player. 
Will +1 this. It would just be nice to have. 
+1 PLEASE
huh six years ago we asked for simple templates to make it easier for GMs... it would be NICE if spells when the cast would also ask the PLAYER where they are casting and allowed them to play and mark that area of effect, and then the player and/or the GM could control the lasting effect to either remove or move it around the map(if applicable) but since I am not sure we even got basic templates to make measuring and marking easier yet I'm not sure what we can even ask for.
+1
DnDPlay20
Pro
Marketplace Creator
VTT extension for the web browser has this, but other players cannot see it without having the extension installed.

Edited 1664552441
Zym
Sheet Author
+1 (well all my votes)
Wild Magic Surge
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Yes this is so important I would like to see each spell have a template that matches its aoe size as well as being able to attach art to each spell that is also attached on cast.
Gold
Forum Champion
I'm still using Ruler tool, and AOE graphics from Roll20 Marketplace but this should absolutely be a Built-in feature for Ease of Use, +1 and would help attract D&D / Pathfinder and other tactical tabletop game players! Remember this AOE feature would be for Players to access (like the Ruler), it would have the same options as Ruler has now (Show to other players, or not show what you're measuring to other players)
+1
+1
Why in the hell is this MUST HAVE feature not added after SEVEN YEARS? Its not that hard. What the hell. +1.
Hey folks, Sorry for my delayed response here. We have started work on a new measure tool that will include area of effect shapes. We hope to have something out in the next week or so to try out. It won't be all the shapes you're going to need but it is the first step to redesigning the tool. We hope to have more releasing to follow as we get them done. I'll keep you all posted here.
Good News! We've just released the new Measure Tool. You can read and post about it on the Announcement Thread:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11575260/opt-in-to-the-new-measure-tool#post-11575297" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11575260/opt-in-to-the-new-measure-tool#post-11575297</a> . I'm closing this to refund all votes for you to spend in other places. Thank you to everyone who has given feedback about this. Your time and attention has helped us back the tool better for everyone. Thank you!