Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Official Announcement] Roll20 is Now an Officially Licensed Partner with Wizards of the Coast

Kevin said: I think one of the main clarifications that's needed is where do bugs associated with modules go? For example it has been mentioned a few times that the scale of two maps in relation to the the tokens is off (corrected by doubling the size of the map, redrawing dynamic lighting, resetting map scale, and re-positioning monsters). Should this be opened in the bug forum, or someplace else? It's actually easier to change the unit scale to 0.5 then rescaling the map and redoing the dynamic lighting and such.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Kyle B. said: With this new partnership with D&D will there be updates to the 5e (or other version) SRD on Roll 20? I'd love to see more spells and feats and other components on the SRD. I would certainly have more conficance to use it, if I knew that is was more complete. Love these new adventures too and plan on using some of them for some quick fun with friends! Nolan had this to say on the subject in another thread: Kevin said: Super excited about these... This brings up another question. Will it be possible to get access to a full compendium based on a purchase? i.e. Player Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, or Monster Manual? There will be elements of this going forward. We're still figuring out how these things will look. Our assumption is that thing will be broken down into more digestible chunks than the books outright. See:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3742599/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3742599/</a>
SkyCaptainXIII said: Kevin said: I think one of the main clarifications that's needed is where do bugs associated with modules go? For example it has been mentioned a few times that the scale of two maps in relation to the the tokens is off (corrected by doubling the size of the map, redrawing dynamic lighting, resetting map scale, and re-positioning monsters). Should this be opened in the bug forum, or someplace else? It's actually easier to change the unit scale to 0.5 then rescaling the map and redoing the dynamic lighting and such. That is true, and should work well on these maps, but on larger maps it tend to make things rather small.
So before I jump in. With people using OC worlds and stuff, If I purchased this would I also be able to use the tokens/maps/infosheets ect. in my own campaign or will they all be tied to the official campaign
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Lee M. said: So before I jump in. With people using OC worlds and stuff, If I purchased this would I also be able to use the tokens/maps/infosheets ect. in my own campaign or will they all be tied to the official campaign Any time you create a new campaign, you can choose to have all of the content from a module you've purchased stuffed into the campaign immediately. From there, you can add or remove things from the campaign to your heart's content. If you have an already existing campaign that you want to use some of this content in, your only option is the Transmogrifier tool, which requires a subscription.
Did this partnership have any conditions along with it? Will similar deals be made with other RPG creators? Will there be any restrictions on some roll20 functionality? And will we get anything free out of this?
One concern I have with the upcoming Storm King's Thunder, is how the large amount of content will be handled. &nbsp;Lost Mines isn't a good example, because it is a relatively small campaign, as compared to a full hardcover adventure. Kevin can certainly attest that having very large campaigns all in the same Roll20 game can cause some loading time issues, and in extreme cases, lag while on the map. &nbsp;Our long-term Rise of the Runelords campaign was plagued by long loading times (sometimes over 5 minutes). &nbsp;What we found to fix it, was to break the game into separate campaigns for each chapter. &nbsp;Now this campaign concluded a couple years ago, and Roll20 has fixed most of those issues. &nbsp;But I'm starting to experience some longer loading times in Kevin's Princes of the Apocalypse campaign, now that he's finished prepping for the entire campaign. A full hardcover campaign has a lot &nbsp;of content, and we don't typically prep journals for all the text, and pictures for every creature/NPC/etc. &nbsp;Will there be options for loading portions of the campaign into separate games, to improve loading times?
Ziechael said: You never 'lose' the data, the attributes created will always exist on a character (autocalc'd values won't however...), the only issue is that they are no longer displayed in the user friendly way that character sheets provide unless &nbsp;the sheets utilise the same naming conventions. Are you sure? I can't go back and check because I already completed a conversion process, but I swear that, when I changed sheets the last time, some of the standard attributes were lost. In other words, when I looked at the boxes with core attribute data, many were empty. I could be wrong because it was a few months ago, but it seemed as if I lost much more than just the sheet display. I hope you're right about eventually sorting all of this out. The sheet makers certainly do an amazing job, so I'm optimistic. For those of you thinking about canceling a hard cover order for Storm King's Thunder, I hope you might consider buying both the hard copy and the Roll20 version to support both companies. I'm not sure if I will run that adventure path on Roll20, but I'm keeping my pre-order for the hard copy regardless. Of course, if you're on a budget, it's understandable if you prefer to cancel, but I would hate to see WotC lose revenue as a result of licensing its content to Roll20. Then again, if the Roll20 version generates more net profit dollars than the hard copy due to printing costs, then maybe it's actually a win for WotC! That would be interesting to know.
Andrew said: One concern I have with the upcoming Storm King's Thunder, is how the large amount of content will be handled. &nbsp;Lost Mines isn't a good example, because it is a relatively small campaign, as compared to a full hardcover adventure. If you check out Brian's post a couple of spots above yours, he seems to indicate that you can load the entire campaign content but then remove anything you don't want. And it sounds like you can then use the Transmogrifier to copy any elements to another existing campaign. So hopefully you could remove what you don't want and reduce the load on your game server, or you could simply break the adventure into separate campaigns, as you mentioned that you did with Princes of the Apocalypse.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Greg said: Ziechael said: You never 'lose' the data, the attributes created will always exist on a character (autocalc'd values won't however...), the only issue is that they are no longer displayed in the user friendly way that character sheets provide unless &nbsp;the sheets utilise the same naming conventions. Are you sure? I can't go back and check because I already completed a conversion process, but I swear that, when I changed sheets the last time, some of the standard attributes were lost. In other words, when I looked at the boxes with core attribute data , many were empty. I could be wrong because it was a few months ago, but it seemed as if I lost much more than just the sheet display. By 'boxes with core attribute data', are you referring to fields on the Character Sheet Tab , or Attribute fields on the Attributes & Abilities Tab ? If you're referring to the former, check the latter; you'll likely find the 'lost' data.

Edited 1469819706
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Greg said: So hopefully you could remove what you don't want and reduce the load on your game server Your concern is appreciated, but rest assured that games which utilize large numbers of assets affect the servers used by&nbsp;Roll20 negligibly. :) Reducing the number of Characters / on-screen assets used by a game may, however, be beneficial for users accessing the game using less powerful computers.
This is awesome news! &nbsp;Are there any plans to release the other modules? &nbsp;Specifically, PoTA as that is the one my group just started?

Edited 1469820721
SkyCaptainXIII said: Kevin said: I think one of the main clarifications that's needed is where do bugs associated with modules go? For example it has been mentioned a few times that the scale of two maps in relation to the the tokens is off (corrected by doubling the size of the map, redrawing dynamic lighting, resetting map scale, and re-positioning monsters). Should this be opened in the bug forum, or someplace else? It's actually easier to change the unit scale to 0.5 then rescaling the map and redoing the dynamic lighting and such. That's a great workaround to the issue! I guess you still have to resize the tokens but it definitely less of a hassle. I can confirm that there are dynamic lighting issues with dead ends in the Wave Echo Caves. Easily fixed but it should be fixed in the module. I wonder how quickly it would be fixed...
Silvyre said: By 'boxes with core attribute data', are you referring to fields on the Character Sheet Tab , or Attribute fields on the Attributes & Abilities Tab ? If you're referring to the former, check the latter; you'll likely find the 'lost' data. I'm referring to the attributes and abilities tab, not the character sheet tab.
This is awesome news. I would however like to agree with some of the others here who have expressed concerns about the price. Personally, I would love to see wizards include a serial number or QR code with the printed version that would serve as a discount coupon for the digital version. That way, those of us who like to support the local gaming shop ( or who just like to have a physical copy) don't feel like they are getting hosed ;) I have no problem paying whatever it costs to translate and enhance the content for a digital presentation. I just don't see why we should have to pay the cost of the 'licensing fee' on top of buying the hard copy.

Edited 1469833930
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Greg said: I'm referring to the attributes and abilities tab, not the character sheet tab. If both the old and new sheets some of the same Attribute names, here are some possibilities that may explain 'blanked' Attribute values: Most likely: the field associated with a 'blanked' Attribute was inadvertantly cleared/overwritten by a user. The new Character Sheet created duplicate (blank) Attributes; the originals still exist somewhere on the Attributes & Abilities tab. Hypothetical/unlikely: the value(s) of a 'blanked' Attribute were changed by an API Script or Sheet Workers as the result of an input validation routine.

Edited 1469843856
Not really impressed I just paid premium price to discover some of the maps aren't formatted correctly... but buyer beware I guess. EDIT - in fact is there any way I can cancel the purchase and get a refund? I assume it'll be updated but the idea was to get a module I wouldn't have to work too much on.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Diem said: Not really impressed I just paid premium price to discover some of the maps aren't formatted correctly... but buyer beware I guess. EDIT - in fact is there any way I can cancel the purchase and get a refund? I assume it'll be updated but the idea was to get a module I wouldn't have to work too much on. As the bugs continue to get worked out (the missing monsters etc) the module will become more robust. The rush of excitement to get it out quickly means that the alpha release won't be the effortless version you dreamt of... HOWEVER... fear not valiant GM, you can just start a new game using the module each time it is announced that things have been updated until it IS the effortless version you crave. IF you are intent of revoking your purchase then please contact the team directly to discuss that possibility (<a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>).
Dumb question--Does every player have to buy the content or just the DM? I am new to D&D and Roll20 and want to get my friends into it.

Edited 1469894148
Silvyre
Forum Champion
O V. said: Does every player have to buy the content or just the DM? Like with other Marketplace assets, when a user purchases a module and then becomes the Creator of a game, the players and co-GMs within that game may enjoy that purchase freely.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
O V. said: Dumb question--Does every player have to buy the content or just the DM? I am new to D&D and Roll20 and want to get my friends into it. Purchasing a module in the Roll20 Marketplace gives you options when creating a new campaign. Once the campaign has been created, it functions the same as any other campaign, whether it has module content or not. Since, obviously, the players are not involved in the campaign creation screen, they have no need to purchase the module. =)
Great news. Ofc I had to get both modules on release. Cant wait to see the others be released.... Will help loads
Ziechael said: Diem said: Not really impressed I just paid premium price to discover some of the maps aren't formatted correctly... but buyer beware I guess. EDIT - in fact is there any way I can cancel the purchase and get a refund? I assume it'll be updated but the idea was to get a module I wouldn't have to work too much on. As the bugs continue to get worked out (the missing monsters etc) the module will become more robust. The rush of excitement to get it out quickly means that the alpha release won't be the effortless version you dreamt of... HOWEVER... fear not valiant GM, you can just start a new game using the module each time it is announced that things have been updated until it IS the effortless version you crave. IF you are intent of revoking your purchase then please contact the team directly to discuss that possibility ( <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> ). Would be nice if the modules had a way of auto updating so you don't have to start a new module each time there is an update as this could get tedious for some GMs if they do a lot of custom parts to the game
Patrick B. said: This is awesome news. I would however like to agree with some of the others here who have expressed concerns about the price. Personally, I would love to see wizards include a serial number or QR code with the printed version that would serve as a discount coupon for the digital version. That way, those of us who like to support the local gaming shop ( or who just like to have a physical copy) don't feel like they are getting hosed ;) I have no problem paying whatever it costs to translate and enhance the content for a digital presentation. I just don't see why we should have to pay the cost of the 'licensing fee' on top of buying the hard copy. If only.... would save a fortune for people like me who have it all
I tend to view it as a "Labor" fee.&nbsp; You're paying not for the material, so much as for the work done to integrate that material into a full-fledged Module integrated with Roll20 features.&nbsp; That alone is worth the value to me, really. @Pord - You really wouldn't want a module updating itself on you after you've started your campaign.&nbsp; It would be absolutely horrible to have any custom changes, progress, etc lost due to an update&nbsp;&nbsp; ( just look at the fuss that usually arises when the community Character Sheets get updated )
Congratulations!
Andrew said: Stephen J. said: It seems that you can only use the content from the modules in a new game currently. Will we be able to incorporate them into existing games whether it be in whole or in part? You can Transmogrify content over to other campaigns, just make an LMoP campaign and start moving things over. Cool, now to just figure out how to do that.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Stephen J. said: Andrew said: Stephen J. said: It seems that you can only use the content from the modules in a new game currently. Will we be able to incorporate them into existing games whether it be in whole or in part? You can Transmogrify content over to other campaigns, just make an LMoP campaign and start moving things over. Cool, now to just figure out how to do that. It is not hard. Create the campaign with the module like normal then go into the campaign you wish to transmogrify the material to. Click on the settings tab inside the game and scroll down to transmogrifier and click on it. A menu will pop up and you can select your games you wish to move items from and to. Click and drag what you want.

Edited 1470157478
I'm about halfway through a Phandelver game myself so I got this to see what it would be offering and, uh, seems nice? I'm a little disappointed by the vision blocking layer lines not being thinner as well as being fully snap to grid, which in some cases means the VBL line is seen before the wall behind it, so it just appears to the player as a void instead of a wall that blocks vision just behind it. Sometimes this entirely obscures doors. I'm really glad they use the same system I do with color-coordinated doors/walls in almost exactly the same way. I never picked that up from a tutorial, but I guess we're all smart here :P. Also, some of the tokens just being a "token" and not art? I know there's only two but it feels kinda bad when it's just "this means wolf" instead of any of the dozens of official wolf art Hasbro has access to. I think because I have my own assets (I bought the high resolution maps from the artist's page) I don't think I'll be swapping to this pre-made module, but it's a good effort. I really hope the full price one cleans up a lot of the mistakes I see in this.
Pat S. said: Stephen J. said: Andrew said: Stephen J. said: It seems that you can only use the content from the modules in a new game currently. Will we be able to incorporate them into existing games whether it be in whole or in part? You can Transmogrify content over to other campaigns, just make an LMoP campaign and start moving things over. Cool, now to just figure out how to do that. It is not hard. Create the campaign with the module like normal then go into the campaign you wish to transmogrify the material to. Click on the settings tab inside the game and scroll down to transmogrifier and click on it. A menu will pop up and you can select your games you wish to move items from and to. Click and drag what you want. Before anybody breaks their head looking for this, it's a Pro-only feature.
Are there plans to release the Tyranny of Dragons adventures? I'm learning how to be a DM currently, as well as getting familiar with Roll20. I plan to find a regular group, run them through Mines of Phandelver and transition those characters into Tyranny of Dragons. Another thing I'm curious about is if you basically get all the information that's in the hardcover versions of these adventure modules? All text, etc. (I haven't even loaded a module in Rol20 yet, so forgive my ignorance)
I really hope they offer full upgrades to the 5e compendium - the SRD is nice but frustrating when it doesn't have something and I have to go searching in the books. they should model fantasy grounds system as well, sell the individual books and sell tokens as well

Edited 1471134733
Yeah! You get me a 5e monster manual, that I can drag and drop directly onto the play field, that have attacks built in, with all the HPs rolled, and graphics... and I will buy it in 2 seconds flat. THAT simple. Even if you had to pay for a subscription for the 'integration' of the monster manual. I'm in. Making monsters, and tying up time, and searching for art, and doing all the sheet creation. Is super annoying. Drag and drop token mooks... FTW!
Allen, etc. &nbsp;I'm not part of Roll20, but here's my guess -- licensing at this level, etc. takes A LOT of work, legalities (and potentially cost), not to mention ongoing support. &nbsp;I'm sure if Roll20 could have all core books and adventures of all editions of all RPGs up tomorrow, they would. I'm looking forward to everything people are mentioning (more modules, more monsters, etc.) -- but I'm extremly happy with what we have. &nbsp;Let's take a moment and remember a few weeks ago we didn't even have modules (adventures), and a few short months ago we didn't even have SRD! &nbsp;Let's have some appreciation for what has been accomplished!
I bought both the Phandelver and preordered the Giants adventure, but judging from what's there in the Phandelver module, what are the chances of things being a little more polished in the full complete release? General typos, missing art, out of scale maps, and the absolute thickest, wall-covering unconnected lines in the Vision Blocking Layer are making me skeptical of getting a group together to tackle the new release next month. I know it's a ton of data entry and the majority of what's there is absolutely great, but I'm very skeptical of not having problems with future releases.
Greetings Zenith, thanks for sharing your concerns. We're always able to improve on the modules if there are issues with things like typos, missing art, or Dynamic Lighting, can you email your LMoP bugs to <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> so I can add them to be corrected? We certainly are making any updates as needed. As for your concern for the next adventure, I can tell you that our team has already put in well over 300 hours of prep time, we added more folks to help, and are doing everything we can to produce the highest quality product possible. That said, if you're unsatisfied, feel free to ask us for a refund. While we hope to wow you, we don't expect you to keep it if you're not happy. Looking forward to Sept 6th where I hope we can show you a better experience!
I'm sorry if this question a) has already been answered (couldn't find the answer above) or if it b) seems just stupid, but ... ... do I need to have a Plus or Pro Account to be able to use all the features the Phandelver-Module has built-in?
Ser Duncan Pennytree said: I'm sorry if this question a) has already been answered (couldn't find the answer above) or if it b) seems just stupid, but ... ... do I need to have a Plus or Pro Account to be able to use all the features the Phandelver-Module has built-in? Yes. Plus at least.&nbsp;
So what would be missing if I'd buy the module and try to run it with a free account?
Gid
Roll20 Team
The only thing you'd be missing in Phandelver is the dynamic lighting functionality on a free account. But you still can use the fog of war tool to hide areas of the dungeon crawls.
Thanks for the info. It it's just that, it still sounds to me like 20 bucks well spent.
Rawss said: Awesome news! Now how long do I have to wait for PotA and Strahd???? I am also interested in whether these and the other 5e Campaigns will eventually be supported by Roll20. &nbsp;
Does the LMOP campaign come with any additional maps beyond those in the printed version? &nbsp;I am wondering if they added any others that could be used for additional encounters like the ambush or some of the other side quests.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There are no maps included outside the maps that are a part of the print module. &nbsp;More can be added easily enough once you've created your Game from the Module. &nbsp;There is a blank page setup for one-off encounters.
I'm curious about what all is included in the module. Would someone please answer for me: For the Storm King adventure, will we get a pdf of the actual module, or will we need to buy the book separately in order to run the game? Will the maps be player versions, and will there be indicators on the GM layer for secrets and traps?&nbsp; Is dynamic lighting set up on the maps?&nbsp; Is there a pre-made soundtrack?&nbsp; Will all of the monsters be included, with macros for their various abilities?

Edited 1471906869
Nolan T. J.
Roll20 Team
Bast L. said: I'm curious about what all is included in the module. Would someone please answer for me: 1. No PDF, but everything is integrated via handout's and stats. There's no information in the book form of Storm King's Thunder &nbsp;that isn't in our adaptation... and further we were allowed to use some citation materials, so we got to pull from other D&D resource books in a bunch of places. I think people are going to be really surprised by how in depth this thing is. 2. When we were able, we adjusted the maps to move indicators to the GM layer to make a more player-focused experience. 3. Yuuuuup. I think there are something like 40 Maps total - with Dynamic Lighting setup where necessary throughout the entire adventure.&nbsp; 4. No. You'll still have access to the regular methods of adding soundtrack, but there's no content we have specifically for the adventure. 5. Yes; 200+ monsters with proper NPC character sheets have all been created... we're still waiting on some approvals to show things or else I'd just drop in a screenshot here, but in addition to putting the appropriate monsters in their encounters, there's a "cast" page that is so huge it took my breath away when I first saw it. I'm really excited about the value of the module. It is months &nbsp;worth of content packed into a single purchase.&nbsp;
Nolan T. J. said: I'm really excited about the value of the module. It is months &nbsp;worth of content packed into a single purchase.&nbsp; Awesome!!
Thanks for answering, sounds great.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Brett M. said: Nolan T. J. said: I'm really excited about the value of the module. It is months &nbsp;worth of content packed into a single purchase.&nbsp; Awesome!! From what I know of the content in Storm King's Thunder vs what's in Horde of the Dragon Queen + The Rise of Tiamat , "months" seems like a low estimate! &nbsp;My gaming group (5 hours weekly) would probably take 1-2 years to get through all the content. &nbsp;=D
When I came back to dnd, I started our group off with Horde of the Dragon Queen but I wasn't a fan at all of that book and ended going into a different direction. Elemental Evil looked interesting, but not my groups style. I'm really interested in Storm King's Thunder, just waiting for some reviews or previews of the book. If it's good I can't wait to hop on picking it up for roll20, I can't imagine the amount of work you guys are putting into setting it all up.&nbsp;