Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monster Manual Official Bug Thread

Gid
Roll20 Team
Scott said: Using the 5E OGL, with the following default sheet settings: Query Advantage Do not auto roll damage Monsters imported from the MM do seem to follow the default sheet setting for rolling advantage (have tested it both under Query and Auto roll).  However, they do not follow the damage roll setting.  No matter what the default sheet setting is, it will auto roll damage.   Since imported monster sheets are able to see one setting, I would think it should be able to see both?  Is this a known issue, or do I have something set wrong? Thanks! This is a known issue, yeah. It's a current limitation to the OGL5E Sheet. The next version of the OGL5E sheet will have customization options to adjust compendium drop token's setup to your personal preference too.

Edited 1488413225
Steve K. said: Tokens sometimes taking a long time to appear when first importing the monster should now be fixed. Let us know if you're still experiencing a delay of more than a few seconds. I'm actually still having this issue, unless this will only be fixed for new campaigns and not existing ones. It sometimes takes over 30 seconds for it to show up. EDIT: just tested on a new campaign, still happening
Gid
Roll20 Team
Braden P. said: Steve K. said: Tokens sometimes taking a long time to appear when first importing the monster should now be fixed. Let us know if you're still experiencing a delay of more than a few seconds. I'm actually still having this issue, unless this will only be fixed for new campaigns and not existing ones. It sometimes takes over 30 seconds for it to show up. EDIT: just tested on a new campaign, still happening Braden, I ran a test under your account with one of your Phandelver games and monsters were propagating in under five seconds for me. So I suspect this issue isn't linked specifically due to your account or your games, but something client side. Do you have any browser addons/extension or LastPass running in the background that could be interrupting the Javascript that runs to get the character sheets created?
I bought the Monster Manual book and it seems incomplete to me. The OGL supports spells (for ease of clicking) but it seems like they're just entered as text. Should they not be clickable?
Soul said: I bought the Monster Manual book and it seems incomplete to me. The OGL supports spells (for ease of clicking) but it seems like they're just entered as text. Should they not be clickable? If I'm not mistaken, spells were not added to each monster's sheet due to performance concerns. Large spell lists being imported and loaded every game can have a rather significant impact on your Roll20 experience/load times if you have several monster entries in the journal with extensive spell lists. My suggestion: if you plan to use a specific monster, just drag and drop the relevant spells to its sheet during your session prep. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.
Dan
Plus
Sheet Author
Franky H. said: Daniel F. said: Can't drag and drop Night Hag. All other hags works Does this persist on a new campaign? I'm not experiencing any issues with it. I don't know, I'm working on the same campaign for the last 4 months, I can't make a new one. I will try to clone and see if it still persists. Also Revenant shows that same misbehaviour.
Dan
Plus
Sheet Author
Daniel F. said: Franky H. said: Daniel F. said: Can't drag and drop Night Hag. All other hags works Does this persist on a new campaign? I'm not experiencing any issues with it. I don't know, I'm working on the same campaign for the last 4 months, I can't make a new one. I will try to clone and see if it still persists. Also Revenant shows that same misbehaviour. Just tested cloning it doesn't work either, neither for Night Hags nor Revenant. I think the problem is when the monster has variants and other things, I don't know exactly.  If I open a brand new NPC character and drag and drop into it, it works but then I don't have the token, neither the background and the texts on Bio page, which is really bad =/
Gid
Roll20 Team
Jyro X said: Soul said: I bought the Monster Manual book and it seems incomplete to me. The OGL supports spells (for ease of clicking) but it seems like they're just entered as text. Should they not be clickable? If I'm not mistaken, spells were not added to each monster's sheet due to performance concerns. Large spell lists being imported and loaded every game can have a rather significant impact on your Roll20 experience/load times if you have several monster entries in the journal with extensive spell lists. My suggestion: if you plan to use a specific monster, just drag and drop the relevant spells to its sheet during your session prep. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. That is exactly the case, yes. When a creature had an offensive spell on their spell list, we would create an action for it so you could roll for it from there.

Edited 1488576416
Gid
Roll20 Team
Daniel F. said: Franky H. said: Daniel F. said: Can't drag and drop Night Hag. All other hags works Does this persist on a new campaign? I'm not experiencing any issues with it. I don't know, I'm working on the same campaign for the last 4 months, I can't make a new one. I will try to clone and see if it still persists. Also Revenant shows that same misbehaviour. What Franky was recommending was to just create a new blank 5E test game and drag the Night Hag and Revenant in that to see if they populate correctly there. That way you'll know if the issue you're seeing is tied to the Monster Manual in general or something specific within your 4 month game.

Edited 1488838335
Dan
Plus
Sheet Author
Kristin C. said: Daniel F. said: Franky H. said: Daniel F. said: Can't drag and drop Night Hag. All other hags works Does this persist on a new campaign? I'm not experiencing any issues with it. I don't know, I'm working on the same campaign for the last 4 months, I can't make a new one. I will try to clone and see if it still persists. Also Revenant shows that same misbehaviour. What Franky was recommending was to just create a new blank 5E test game and drag the Night Hag and Revenant in that to see if they populate correctly there. That way you'll know if the issue you're seeing is tied to the Monster Manual in general or something specific within your 4 month game. It is tied specifically to my game somehow. I created a brand new and it works, but I have been facing issues when dragging different monsters into the map in my already existing game. Is there something I can do to enable the feature in my game? For now I'm opening two games, and using transmog all the time to make it work xD but it's more work :(
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Daniel F. said: It is related to the my game. I created a brand new and it works, but I have been facing issues when dragging different monsters into the map. Is there something I can do to enable the feature in my game? For now I'm opening two games, and using transmog all the time to make it work but it's more work :( If you have a creature of the same name in your journal, you won't be able to import a new version of the same name. Could that be the issue?
Dan
Plus
Sheet Author
Steve K. said: Daniel F. said: It is related to the my game. I created a brand new and it works, but I have been facing issues when dragging different monsters into the map. Is there something I can do to enable the feature in my game? For now I'm opening two games, and using transmog all the time to make it work but it's more work :( If you have a creature of the same name in your journal, you won't be able to import a new version of the same name. Could that be the issue? That is not it, even if I copy the monster from another game through the transmog, I can't drag it into the map. Nothing happens when I do it. In other words for pulling in a monster from the Monsters Manual I have to: - Copy the monster npc sheet through the transmog into my game - Copy a map that has the token though the transmog into my game, and copy the token out of the map Basically any operations with some monsters from the monster manual (not all of them so far I've seen it on Night Hags, Scouts, Revenants but there might be more) don't work. Either trying to get the token or trying to get the NPC sheet.
Gid
Roll20 Team
What's the name of your game that you have been having trouble dragging these monsters into?

Edited 1488851115
Dan
Plus
Sheet Author
Kristin C. said: What's the name of your game that you have been having trouble dragging these monsters into? Guys I screwed up! Steve K was right. Forgive me There was a character that I wasn't seeing with the same name, and that is why. It's my fault, you guys are doing an amazing job sorry for taking your time unnecessarily  I might have gotten lost when I manually copied and had a hangout lost with the same name. Even the drag and drop the token is working, it just takes sometimes few minutes but it does render in the map
Gid
Roll20 Team
Glad to hear that everything is cleared up for you, Daniel.
Beemer said: While working with the Monster Manual, I have found the following issues: - Drag & drop functionality is not working for Acolyte. No token is dropped on screen, no NPC sheet created. - Drag & drop functionality is not working for Blood Hawk. No token is dropped on screen, no NPC sheet created. - Drag & drop functionality is not working for Dire Wolf. No token is dropped on screen, no NPC sheet created. - Drag & drop functionality is not working for Giant Elk. No token is dropped on screen, no NPC sheet created. - Drag & drop functionality is not working for Goblin. No token is dropped on screen, no NPC sheet created. - Drag & drop functionality is not working for Goblin Boss. No token is dropped on screen, no NPC sheet created. - Drag & drop functionality is not working for Hobgoblin. No token is dropped on screen, no NPC sheet created. - Drag & drop functionality is not working for Orc. No token is dropped on screen, no NPC sheet created. so far, these are the only issues I have found with regard to animals. I am using Chrome,  version 56.0.2924.87 Just throwing this out there.  I am still having issues dragging a Goblin to the map.  Goblin Boss worked though.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Did you double check to make sure you didn't already have a character journal entry called "Goblin" in your game, Ron? The automated process checks journal entry titles and the process doesn't take place if it thinks there's already a character journal available (so you don't end up with 20 different "Goblin" NPC journal entries in your game). It'll drop a token down, but it won't be linked properly.
Kristin C. said: Did you double check to make sure you didn't already have a character journal entry called "Goblin" in your game, Ron? The automated process checks journal entry titles and the process doesn't take place if it thinks there's already a character journal available (so you don't end up with 20 different "Goblin" NPC journal entries in your game). It'll drop a token down, but it won't be linked properly. I know what issue you are referring to. I do not have a colliding Journal entry called "Goblin".
Gid
Roll20 Team
What is happening (or what isn't happening) when you drag a Goblin onto the Tabletop? Is it an issue with the Token, the journal entry/NPC sheet, or both? Does this issue occur in a brand new blank game or only with specific games you have?
Kristin C. said: What is happening (or what isn't happening) when you drag a Goblin onto the Tabletop? Is it an issue with the Token, the journal entry/NPC sheet, or both? Does this issue occur in a brand new blank game or only with specific games you have? Kristin C. said: What is happening (or what isn't happening) when you drag a Goblin onto the Tabletop? Is it an issue with the Token, the journal entry/NPC sheet, or both? Does this issue occur in a brand new blank game or only with specific games you have? Thanks for the follow ups. Nothing happens.  The character sheet isn't created.  The compendium entry doesn't open (as it does with other mobs I add this way).  It's as if I never dragged and dropped at all. This is failing on 2 of my existing campaigns.  I just created a new, empty campaign and it worked as expected. Neither of the existing campaigns has a Goblin-based character already.
When searching for products by Wizards of the Coast neither the monster's manual or the new tales of the Y. portal show up. 
Cause it's only available as a pre-order right now.
The Monster Manual is not just pre-order.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Rabulias said: The Monster Manual is not just pre-order. This is a  known bug . 
Gid
Roll20 Team
Rodolfo M. said: When searching for products by Wizards of the Coast neither the monster's manual or the new tales of the Y. portal show up.  We discosvered this issue a couple days ago and we're looking into getting that fixed. Thank you for keeping us on our toes, Rodolfo!
Gid
Roll20 Team
Ron said: Kristin C. said: What is happening (or what isn't happening) when you drag a Goblin onto the Tabletop? Is it an issue with the Token, the journal entry/NPC sheet, or both? Does this issue occur in a brand new blank game or only with specific games you have? Kristin C. said: What is happening (or what isn't happening) when you drag a Goblin onto the Tabletop? Is it an issue with the Token, the journal entry/NPC sheet, or both? Does this issue occur in a brand new blank game or only with specific games you have? Thanks for the follow ups. Nothing happens.  The character sheet isn't created.  The compendium entry doesn't open (as it does with other mobs I add this way).  It's as if I never dragged and dropped at all. This is failing on 2 of my existing campaigns.  I just created a new, empty campaign and it worked as expected. Neither of the existing campaigns has a Goblin-based character already. Ron, what's the name of the two games that are having issues with the Goblin entry? That way I can take a look under the hood.
Kristin C. said: Ron said: Kristin C. said: What is happening (or what isn't happening) when you drag a Goblin onto the Tabletop? Is it an issue with the Token, the journal entry/NPC sheet, or both? Does this issue occur in a brand new blank game or only with specific games you have? Kristin C. said: What is happening (or what isn't happening) when you drag a Goblin onto the Tabletop? Is it an issue with the Token, the journal entry/NPC sheet, or both? Does this issue occur in a brand new blank game or only with specific games you have? Thanks for the follow ups. Nothing happens.  The character sheet isn't created.  The compendium entry doesn't open (as it does with other mobs I add this way).  It's as if I never dragged and dropped at all. This is failing on 2 of my existing campaigns.  I just created a new, empty campaign and it worked as expected. Neither of the existing campaigns has a Goblin-based character already. Ron, what's the name of the two games that are having issues with the Goblin entry? That way I can take a look under the hood. The Fugitives and Prince of Undeath

Edited 1489609774
Gid
Roll20 Team
Ron, I checked both of those games. Under the Languages folder for each game, you have a character entry named "Goblin". That's why the drag and drop for Goblin doesn't currently work, because you already have a character entry in your Journal using the same name.

Edited 1489613406
Kristin C. said: Ron, I checked both of those games. Under the Languages folder for each game, you have a character entry named "Goblin". That's why the drag and drop for Goblin doesn't currently work, because you already have a character entry in your Journal using the same name. To expand on this: If you're having trouble like this in the future, you can simply do a name search in the bar at the top of the journal tab and it will search all folders and sub-folders for matching entries. I know it can be hard to find problem items sometimes when dealing with a large amount of folders and sub-folders. Another practice I highly recommend is tagging your journal entries with useful tags. Some of my most used tags are "PC", "NPC", "Monster", "Plot", "Quest", "crX". It makes quickly searching your journal for different items a breeze and is probably one of the more under-utilized features of Roll20's interface. As an addendum, @Devs: could we get an option to automatically add these kinds of tags to creatures we drag/drop from the Compendium? I would love it if we could automatically get the following tags added upon drag/drop and creation of a new creature/journal entry: Challenge Rating "CR[X]" Environment "Hill", "Mountain", "Forest", etc. Type "Humanoid", "Dragon", "Monstrosity", etc. Source "MM1", "VG1" If this can be done, that would be amazing and save me a ton of prep time!
Tagging of the MM entries would be awesome.
Joel M. said: Mark P. said: When I drag two of the same type of monster over on to the map from the MM, I get two tokens, but only a single Journal entry. Is that normal? That's the intention - the first time you drag it out it adds to the Journal - this way you can then drag from the journal for multiple copies, etc. This seems counter-intuitive at best. Dragging from the Monster Manual should create multiple journal entries (numbered in succession if previous copies exist). What's the sense in being able to drag in multiple copies of one NPC? They all share the same stats/character sheet doing this (useless for combat, health tracking, making one instance stronger or weaker), making a goblin/orc/ANY group with multiple of the same enemy time consuming to create, given that the journal does not have a right click duplicate option
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ray S. said: Joel M. said: Mark P. said: When I drag two of the same type of monster over on to the map from the MM, I get two tokens, but only a single Journal entry. Is that normal? That's the intention - the first time you drag it out it adds to the Journal - this way you can then drag from the journal for multiple copies, etc. This seems counter-intuitive at best. Dragging from the Monster Manual should create multiple journal entries (numbered in succession if previous copies exist). What's the sense in being able to drag in multiple copies of one NPC? They all share the same stats/character sheet doing this (useless for combat, health tracking, making one instance stronger or weaker), making a goblin/orc/ANY group with multiple of the same enemy time consuming to create, given that the journal does not have a right click duplicate option Having many character sheets in one campaign will slow the campaign down, so there's a real detriment to having multiple copies of one NPC. If you really need multiple copies, just rename the existing one... but health tracking can be done on a per-token basis, which is MUCH cheaper resources-wise than duplicating the whole character.
Ray S. said: Dragging from the Monster Manual should create multiple journal entries (numbered in succession if previous copies exist). What's the sense in being able to drag in multiple copies of one NPC? They all share the same stats/character sheet doing this (useless for combat, health tracking, making one instance stronger or weaker), making a goblin/orc/ANY group with multiple of the same enemy time consuming to create, given that the journal does not have a right click duplicate option <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a> The monster tokens do not have their health bars linked to the character sheet. This allows you to use one character sheet for a group of monsters that are all alike, such as a group of goblins raiding the countryside. The hit points on each TOKEN are tracked separately. So you can make their hit points different on each token without affecting the others. If you want a unique goblin, you'll need to duplicate the goblin sheet and adjust the new sheet to make that goblin unique, such as increasing hit dice and giving it some different kinds of weapons or armor.
Kristin C. said: Ron, I checked both of those games. Under the Languages folder for each game, you have a character entry named "Goblin". That's why the drag and drop for Goblin doesn't currently work, because you already have a character entry in your Journal using the same name. Curses! I forgot about those. My apologies and gratitude!
Thanks for the feedback Jakob and SkyCaptainXIII I had about 2/3rd's of the solution and just completely misread/misunderstood the situation with tokens. That simplifies things a lot and hopefully should also resolve some other issues i've encountered.
Ive noticed a few monster when dragged onto a map the actual info for combat is not there, when clicked on it it opens a blank character sheet. Is there a way to fill this out so it is not incomplete? 1) Goblins and hobgoblins stats info shows as a blank charicter sheet. &nbsp;2) Is there a way to create our own monsters or named monsters and save them in the same maner as the monster manual? I am a advide table top player switched to roll20, love the system just need to learn it.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
ProfessorKiz said: Ive noticed a few monster when dragged onto a map the actual info for combat is not there, when clicked on it it opens a blank character sheet. Is there a way to fill this out so it is not incomplete? 1) Goblins and hobgoblins stats info shows as a blank charicter sheet. &nbsp;2) Is there a way to create our own monsters or named monsters and save them in the same maner as the monster manual? I am a advide table top player switched to roll20, love the system just need to learn it. 1) Do you have an existing character called Goblin or Hobgoblin in your game? If so, remove them and try re-importing. 2) There is not custom compendium functionality at this time. It is something we're considering
SkyCaptainXIII said: The monster tokens do not have their health bars linked to the character sheet. This allows you to use one character sheet for a group of monsters that are all alike, such as a group of goblins raiding the countryside. The hit points on each TOKEN are tracked separately. So you can make their hit points different on each token without affecting the others. If you want a unique goblin, you'll need to duplicate the goblin sheet and adjust the new sheet to make that goblin unique, such as increasing hit dice and giving it some different kinds of weapons or armor. The health bars not being linked to the character sheet does have one unfortunate side effect: When it's not linked, I have to do the math to update hitpoints when a monster gets damaged. When it's linked, I just have to put in '-23' in to the health tracking bar and it calculates it for me. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to just type in the damage with a minus. AD
Adrian D. said: The health bars not being linked to the character sheet does have one unfortunate side effect: When it's not linked, I have to do the math to update hitpoints when a monster gets damaged. When it's linked, I just have to put in '-23' in to the health tracking bar and it calculates it for me. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to just type in the damage with a minus. The tokens do come with hit points already set. So if you drag a goblin onto the map directly from the compendium, it will create a Goblin token with 7/7 hit points in Bar 1. By not linked, it means that the tokens hit points are not linked to the character sheet... so that multiple tokens can be used without changing one token affecting all the rest.&nbsp;

Edited 1489861583
Gid
Roll20 Team
Adrian D. said: The health bars not being linked to the character sheet does have one unfortunate side effect: When it's not linked, I have to do the math to update hitpoints when a monster gets damaged. When it's linked, I just have to put in '-23' in to the health tracking bar and it calculates it for me. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to just type in the damage with a minus. AD You should still be able to type "-23" in a token bubble and still have it autocalculate regardless if the bar is linked to an attribute or not. (click on the image to see the animated GIF example)
I don't know if someone has already referenced this.&nbsp; When I load the Giant Crocodile directly from the MM I found there was no avatar or token assigned to it.&nbsp; I can load the character sheet, but it is empty of either.&nbsp; Naturally, I simply assigned a token for it, but I'm wondering whether or not I'm the only one who had this problem.
Nichademus said: I don't know if someone has already referenced this.&nbsp; When I load the Giant Crocodile directly from the MM I found there was no avatar or token assigned to it.&nbsp; I can load the character sheet, but it is empty of either.&nbsp; Naturally, I simply assigned a token for it, but I'm wondering whether or not I'm the only one who had this problem. Did you already have an entry for the giant crocodile somewhere in your journal? Does this issue occur even in a new, blank campaign?
Jyro X said: Nichademus said: I don't know if someone has already referenced this.&nbsp; When I load the Giant Crocodile directly from the MM I found there was no avatar or token assigned to it.&nbsp; I can load the character sheet, but it is empty of either.&nbsp; Naturally, I simply assigned a token for it, but I'm wondering whether or not I'm the only one who had this problem. Did you already have an entry for the giant crocodile somewhere in your journal? Does this issue occur even in a new, blank campaign? I am actually in the process of creating a new campaign and building my library by challenge rating.&nbsp; Every other npc has moved over without a problem, but when I searched for giant crocodile the name appeared on the side, but no image to accompany it.&nbsp; And when I dragged it onto the VTT, it loaded the character sheet into my library, but nothing appeared on the VTT.&nbsp; It was only when I opened the character sheet did I find it void of any avatar or default token.&nbsp; There weren't (and still aren't) even any graphics in the Bio & Info section.&nbsp; I've since attached a token to act as default, so it won't slow down my game.&nbsp; I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I also created a new campaign and it loads the same as before without any graphics.&nbsp; So far I'm up to adding CR9 npc's and it's the only one I've found like this.
Nichademus said: Jyro X said: Nichademus said: I don't know if someone has already referenced this.&nbsp; When I load the Giant Crocodile directly from the MM I found there was no avatar or token assigned to it.&nbsp; I can load the character sheet, but it is empty of either.&nbsp; Naturally, I simply assigned a token for it, but I'm wondering whether or not I'm the only one who had this problem. Did you already have an entry for the giant crocodile somewhere in your journal? Does this issue occur even in a new, blank campaign? I am actually in the process of creating a new campaign and building my library by challenge rating.&nbsp; Every other npc has moved over without a problem, but when I searched for giant crocodile the name appeared on the side, but no image to accompany it.&nbsp; And when I dragged it onto the VTT, it loaded the character sheet into my library, but nothing appeared on the VTT.&nbsp; It was only when I opened the character sheet did I find it void of any avatar or default token.&nbsp; There weren't (and still aren't) even any graphics in the Bio & Info section.&nbsp; I've since attached a token to act as default, so it won't slow down my game.&nbsp; I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I also created a new campaign and it loads the same as before without any graphics.&nbsp; So far I'm up to adding CR9 npc's and it's the only one I've found like this. Me too, no Bio picture or Token for giant crocodile. I just purchased the MM .
Gid
Roll20 Team
For some reason the token for that Compendium entry got dropped. If you delete your Giant Crocodile entry from your Journal Tab and then drag and drop a new version of the Giant Crocodile, you should have the token now. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Nichademus!
Giant Crocodile is now fixed thank you.
I am having some problems dragging monsters to tabletop. Dragging from compendium to tabletop, it works most of the time, but it can take 10 secs doing it for the first time. Is this normal? Dragging from journal to tabletop, it rarely works. These are journal entries created when first dragging monster from compendium. Otherwise it's work a treat.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Erudo said: I am having some problems dragging monsters to tabletop. Dragging from compendium to tabletop, it works most of the time, but it can take 10 secs doing it for the first time. Is this normal? Dragging from journal to tabletop, it rarely works. These are journal entries created when first dragging monster from compendium. Otherwise it's work a treat. There is a delay before the token generates on the Tabletop for the very first time. When you drag and drop a Compendium entry to the Tabletop, it first needs to create a journal entry and transfer the bio, statblock, and attacks over to this new entry. Then it creates a Token, pulls the HP and AC for Bars 1 and 2 from the newly made Character Journal's Attributes and then links the token to that journal. As for having trouble dragging the journal entry to the tabletop to create a token, are you making certain you're dragging the token by its journal name and not the icon that has the three horizontal bars that appears to the entry's left (this icon is to resort that entry's order&nbsp;elsewhere in the Journal tab)?