Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Old] Tales of the Yawning Portal Official Bug Report Thread

Kristin C. said: Brother Sharp said: Sorry if this has been asked before but how does updating modules work? Do we get a button to update like SKT on the game page? If so, what would the update do to maps that already have tokens on them or on character sheets that have already been changed before? Once we have the patch developer completed, I'll be able to better answer that question. Once that's underway I can grab all the other various issues that people are reporting on the other Tales adventures. Since you are still developing it, may you forward word to the developers that it would be nice if we had a split update to maps and token data? It would devastate my ongoing game if it was to refresh all the converted sheets from OGL to shaped for example. I can always start a new game with the updated map and grab it from there, but it would be preferred to have a more fluid way.

Edited 1493180431
Kristin C. said: Ed S. said: Good, because I ran Tomb of Horrors over the weekend and have a list. When you're able, Ed, add a post on this thread with the list of issues you've encountered. I'll add them to my list of needed patch fixes. FYI major spoilers ahead. A number of problems with this translation to VTT stem from the fact that the original dungeon was meant to be played in a Theater of the mind style and the map doesn't always jive with the description on the page. These descriptions have been copied from the original so discrepancies abide, which is not necessarily your fault but a defect of the adventure in general.  I will try to stay on point with the things that are inherit to the Roll20 platform as much as possible.  Dynamic Lighting Well, as mentioned early in this thread the dynamic lighting is very sloppy to the point where it effects gameplay in certain areas.  1. Right off the bat, area 3 is opened up to the players without any dynamic lighting blocking the passage. The entrance is supposed to be ambiguous.  2. The door at area 4 is supposed to be concealed by the plaster and not discernible unless the plaster is removed.  The dynamic lighting clearly shows the door . 3. The map itself in area 10 clearly shows where the concealed passages are, the dynamic lighting could be adjusted to hide it better.  4. Area 13 should have a second back wall available in the dynamic lighting to hide the secret passage that goes under the room.  5. Room 18A needs another line of dynamic lighting for the thick webbing that is blocking the bottom of the stairs.  6. Area 24 is missing the dynamic lighting door. 7. The pillars in room 25 are very nice. Thank you for that. 8. The secret door behind the throne (room 25) is pretty obvious because the dynamic lighting bulges out there.  9. Better alignment of the dynamic lighting around the doors in area 1 so it isn't so obvious that the door are not real.  Map Elements  A number of small changes need to be addressed on the map to make running this on a VTT go smoothly.  1. Area 2 the sliding block on the right side should be a separate element so the DM can move it over the passage way and block the players in as described in the adventure.  2. Please add the green devil head to the main passageway at area 6. There map clearly has them on the walls at area 25 so that map element exists. It should be shown and proudly as its one of the main features of the module.  3. False and True, the apparent false door at area 23 is missing from the map. It should be visible to the players. 4. As mentioned above area 10 shows the concealed passages too clearly and I would like to see them covered up better on the map. 5. Can we get the Tomb of Horrors title moved to the DM layer, it ruins immersion having the players tromp all over the name of the adventure.  Creatures  There aren't many but some fixes would be nice.  1. Would you put some, or at least one, poisonous snake in room 21 on the DM layer, so it's ready to go. 2. The Greater Zombie, change the name to Acererak or at least lich, so the players aren't painfully aware that it's a fake.  3. I would like a better place holder token for Siren. The players are supposed to be interacting with a beautiful fey creature, not a red button.  Handouts Last but most certainly not least. The handouts for the original dungeon are one of the best features and they are sadly absent from this rendition. Sure we have a couple nice color slides but are missing out on a lot of the content from the old handouts. VTT is a visual medium and the perfect place for handouts.  1. I know the handouts are free on the WotC site, but I would like to see most of them included in the adventure so I don't have to download them and then upload then into my game to show the players.  2. I can't believe we didn't get an updated version of the green devil head, we just have the map compass.  3. The instructions written for area 20 say to show that handout immediately which should not be the case. The Spikes are not apparent in the pit until after the players enter it. The Text with the link to the pit handout should be after the paragraph about the spike trap and read "After the players activate the trap reveal Handout:Area 20"  I know there was some other stuff but I don't remember now and it's getting late. Just know that I had to do a lot of last minute fixing to run this module.

Edited 1493573953
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Will C. said: Anyone else waste their money on this add-on? The maps are useless. They left the traps clearly marked on the map. There are big gaping holes in the walls where secret doors are. It looks like some one literally just copied the DM's map from a pdf of the original module. After enjoying the quality of the Sunless citadel add-on, I am seriously disappointed in Forge of Fury.

Edited 1493944471
Gid
Roll20 Team
We officially have a patch for White Plume Mountain addon live on Production. When you go to the Game Details page of a game using the Addon, you'll see verbiage underneath the game title of patch 1.1 being available for White Plume Mountain. Patch Notes for 1.0 1. Traps and hidden terrain in Room 10, and corridors 18 and 3 are now covered on the battle map. These trap pieces are now on the GM Layer to reveal when the GM is ready to do so and it will be noted on the "Locations in the Dungeon" handout when mentioned. 2. We corrected a typographical error in the "Locations in the Dungeon" handout. In section 17. The Boiling Bubble there was a misplaced open parenthesis that has now been removed. 3. The token for the Huge Giant Crab was displaying the incorrect HP. This has been corrected to 161 and the corrected token has been linked to its Character Journal. 4. The Handout, "Handout: Vampire", had a broken thumbnail on the Journal tab. This has been fixed. This patch only affects these items. If you've moved tokens around or relocated handout folders, the patch shouldn't alter anything other than what's listed. We've added some intelligence to our patching system that retains your custom folder structure/item organization on the Journal tab.
White Plume Mountain looks great, thank you very much Kristin C !
Wonderful news Kristen.  Sunless Citadel and WPM now seem great.  I am assuming its just a matter of time to fix the listed bugs in the other 5, now that the whole patching procedure is in place!   By my rough notes, altho this launch may have been a little rough, it has led to some great coding that will benefit all future roll20 releases: - Ability to patch Add-ons - Intelligence to recognize and protect customized folder structured and hierarchies - At least one bugfix in the Compendium itself (Barghest) - pseudo folder (Character/Handout) fix/intelligence for the Add-on system in general That is a heck of a lot of coding work above and beyond just changing tokens and maps and such, and i just wanted to say thank you to the Dev team.  All of this hard won progress will make every future 5e product a better value. Thanks!
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thank you for the kind words, Matthew. Now that we've got the patching development squared away, we can address the concerns folks find of the other Tales addons. Like the content Ed provided for Tomb of Horrors (Thank you for that, by the way, Ed).
Kristin C. said: Thank you for the kind words, Matthew. Now that we've got the patching development squared away, we can address the concerns folks find of the other Tales addons. Like the content Ed provided for Tomb of Horrors (Thank you for that, by the way, Ed). I didn't mind doing it. The run through I did was successful, ie. the party died terrible deaths. 
**Problem** I deleted White Plume Mountain when I saw the map had the traps exposed, then I found out the patch came out so I re-added it. But upon re-adding it the add on "consumed" for lack of a better word one of my pages (the 3rd one in from the left), it deleted it and replaced it with the White Plume Mountain Map. FYI my game is tomorrow 6pm eastern time.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Al B. said: **Problem** I deleted White Plume Mountain when I saw the map had the traps exposed, then I found out the patch came out so I re-added it. But upon re-adding it the add on "consumed" for lack of a better word one of my pages (the 3rd one in from the left), it deleted it and replaced it with the White Plume Mountain Map. FYI my game is tomorrow 6pm eastern time. This could happen if you used the White Plume maps as the basis for another map and then re-installed the White Plume Addon. It would then overwrite the content of the map pages it comes with. We can roll back your game if you give us the name of the game and the morning you wish your game rolled back to.
Steve K. said: Al B. said: **Problem** I deleted White Plume Mountain when I saw the map had the traps exposed, then I found out the patch came out so I re-added it. But upon re-adding it the add on "consumed" for lack of a better word one of my pages (the 3rd one in from the left), it deleted it and replaced it with the White Plume Mountain Map. FYI my game is tomorrow 6pm eastern time. This could happen if you used the White Plume maps as the basis for another map and then re-installed the White Plume Addon. It would then overwrite the content of the map pages it comes with. We can roll back your game if you give us the name of the game and the morning you wish your game rolled back to. Thank You, the campaign name is Greenvale Adventuring and yesterday morning (the 5th) should work. I didnt alter a white plume mountain map, the page removed is actually one of the first I made for this campaign, it was made before I bought the add on
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We've rolled your game back Al B.
Is there a way to not have character sheets whiped and still add the modules provided?
In Forge of Fury, the aftermath mentions a regular handaxe and warhammer that bear the smith-mark from areas 14 and 23. These areas don't actually mention these items at all. On another note, is there a way to make it so that imported sheets from the add-ons acknowledge the default options for the game? It's a bit of a pain to have to go in and change everything afterwards.
any ETA on the bugfixes to remaining 5 modules, and the character erasing bug?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Bad DM [Matthew P.] said: any ETA on the bugfixes to remaining 5 modules, and the character erasing bug? I'm not aware of any character issues with the Addons at this time. Can you provide steps to recreate it?
Steve K. said: Bad DM [Matthew P.] said: any ETA on the bugfixes to remaining 5 modules, and the character erasing bug? I'm not aware of any character issues with the Addons at this time. Can you provide steps to recreate it? No, I got a refund on Yawning Portal until it is improved.  A few posts up Teun posted it was still erasing characters (May 11th), which I thought another person had reported earlier, and there had been no reply from Roll20 to either, so assumed people were working on it. I just checked, and see no one else but Teun reporting this issue so lets assume add-ons are working great.  Question retracted sorry :D But now that we have add-ons working great, do we have an eta on bugfixes for the 5 of 7 addons that have not been bigfixed please?  
Gid
Roll20 Team
Bad DM [Matthew P.] said: But now that we have add-ons working great, do we have an eta on bugfixes for the 5 of 7 addons that have not been bigfixed please?   I've been working on a rather large project these past couple of weeks. Once that's off my plate though, I can address the patches. I like to give pre-patch periods plenty of wiggle room before I jump into them, just so I give GMs enough time to write in with their list of issues.
I am not sure if it has been mentioned but in the Forge of Fury lot of the Secret passages seem to be on the token layer instead of the gm layer.. Didn't realize till my players pointed it out ~ Is this a mistake or is it supposed to be this way ?
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
I ran part of "The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan" last night and noticed that a piece of dynamic lighting was missing on the "Lower Chambers & First Tier" Map. There should be dynamic lighting across the secret door at area 16. 
Also, it would be really nice if the maps could be configured such that north is UP, it makes things really confusing when reading the room descriptions.
Kirsty said: I ran part of "The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan" last night and noticed that a piece of dynamic lighting was missing on the "Lower Chambers & First Tier" Map. There should be dynamic lighting across the secret door at area 16.  Be warned that the Area 54 handout incorrectly links to Area 1 as well.  

Edited 1496156519
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for the heads up BadDM!
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Good news, Adventurers! We have released a patch for all Tales from the Yawning Portal Add-Ons and created a new bug thread for you to report any new issues. To check out what’s new, please visit the  Announcement page. To report a bug, please visit the new Tales from the Yawning Portal  Bug Forum