Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Benny J. said: My biggest wonder, most of all, is how long can I expect to be playing a certain game at a time? Can I make a move in a game and then leave and come back? Do I have to stand around and complete the game through? I generally don't like to stand at a desk for long periods of time, so that might complicate things if it's the latter. Benny. If you like being able to post a move then leave and come back later, it sounds like a text game (play by post -forum based or asynchronous text in chat game) is right up your alley. If this is the case then come join  Knights of the Written Word 2 (make an interest post in the forum) and look around. There are variety of games recruiting right now.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian H. said: Vince said: It sounds like you're doing it correctly Brian. Here's an example of it working...  Is this similar to how you have your attack set up?  Does this happen on a new character or just the one?  Thanks- Vince - I was doing it wrong. I actually had the boxes switched. I was putting 1d6 cold in the Type box and I just put Melee in the box I should have had the damage in. Switched those around and everything's gravy. Thanks for the help. I love these kind of problems.  ;-P  Have a good weekend.
Hi everyone! So I am new to roll20 but have a frustrating problem. I am making a campaign and want music to play in the backround when my players are on the world map page. I have the page set to play music when it loads, but it doesn't play the song at all. If I go into the jukebox and press play it will work, but only then. I don't want to have to remember to press play on a bunch of stuff at the start of every screen. Can anyone help me out?  Thanks! -Alex-
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Can't be 100% but try moving the player ribbon off the page and then back on to allow the 'play on load' setting to activate... to test you could try logging in as a player to see if the music plays.
PREFACE: I am new to D&D, so I apologize in advance if my vernacular is inaccurate as it pertains to D&D gaming. Please bear with me, and thank you in advance for any help afforded. New to D&D, and I am trying to determine the best (most fun and efficient) way to play with my 2 brother and me. Roll seems great as it takes much of the heavy lifting off the shoulders of the GM. That said, we will undoubtedly start with the Lost Mine of Phandelver module, and I am concerned Roll won't account for the fact there are only three of us (as opposed to the 4-6 recommended). If we did the TTV, I could (as an example) halve the various damage values, etc. to account for the reduced members, but I want to know whether Roll could also make such adjustments within the module.

Edited 1500968193
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Jesse, welcome to Roll20. It is certainly a great place to take some of the strain off of a new GM's shoulders! You could  run with half damage to give the party a fighting chance but you'd have to go through and amend all of the monsters damage outputs to reflect the change which could be somewhat tedious (or use mental arithmetic at the point of damage... shudder!) . An alternative would be to reduce the number of foes being faced by removing some of their tokens... that then gives you the flexibility to bring them back in as a second wave should it be too easy for the players with reduced numbers?

Edited 1500979034
Background: Hi there! My name is Gareth, I haven't played D&D for a few years now and even then i would consider myself a novice. I started playing 4E (I can hear some boo's already lol) a few years back but had to give it up due to real life issues. However now i have more time on my hands and I've recently purchased the 5E players handbook.  Roll20: I heard about Roll20 from watching Youtube videos' as well as Twitch. So i decided to jump into it myself, seeing as i don't know many people near to myself that play D&D. D&D Characters': So as stated I'm teaching myself 5E, mainly towards being a player rather then a DM, but if a chance comes by where i can learn to be a DM, then i will surely give it a go.  My characters i usually run with are Human Ranger and Dwarf Fighter. Lord of the Rings is my inspiration for these characters, but however i do put my own twist and backstory onto them, so they aren't a complete copy of Aragorn and Gimli. But what i like about my characters is that they ain't afraid to charge in and get their hands dirty. That's not to say that Wizards etc can't do this, but in my mind and the way I'am in real life, I'm more of a hands on kind of guy, I would rather leave the intelligence to someone else.  What do i seek: First and foremost, I'm hear to make friends and to enjoy a good campaign as well as primarily to have fun. If there is someone willing to teach me the game by including me in their own campaign, then please message me. I would love to hear from you.  Thank you for reading my short story about myself and i look forward to hearing from you guys.  Regards Gareth
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Gareth and welcome to Roll20! Great intro and I'd certainly keep a copy of that for any game applications you might make ;) Check out the  OP for the best way to get started here.
Thank you for the warm welcome Ziechael
So I'm new to Table Top games, never played one before in my life, my next door neighbour has gotten me into D&D and we've been making a character for his campaign but I want to get some practise in before our first session. Where would be a good place to start? Thanks in advance guys!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Drew said: So I'm new to Table Top games, never played one before in my life First off, welcome to Roll20 and TT gaming in general Drew :) Drew said: my next door neighbour has gotten me into D&D and we've been making a character for his campaign but I want to get some practise in before our first session. Secondly, your neighbour rocks and should be revered, also your idea is admirable and shows great commitment to the upcoming campaign! Drew said: Where would be a good place to start? Finally, check out the  OP , it tells you everything you need to know to get started here. Good luck with all your rolls :)
Hello! I am DMing a game using Roll20 for the first time and would like to stream video to my players so they can see me. Unfortunately, I am using a Windows Surface and it is defaulting to the rear camera which doesn't work. Is there any way to adjust the setting so it is using the front camera instead?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The only option I see on the internet for doing this is to go into the device manager and disable the rear facing camera. DISCLAIMER: I don't have a surface or a windows computer, so I'm basing this purely on the internet.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Megan D. said: I am using a Windows Surface and it is defaulting to the rear camera which doesn't work. Is there any way to adjust the setting so it is using the front camera instead? Here's one potential solution .
Hi there all. Kinda need help navigating through roll20 currently i cannot find any of my old LFG posts, so i have no idea whether someone has replied, or if the game is still searching etc. All of my "player application" posts etc, seem to be unaccessible, and my notifications have dissapeared once ive seen them once, meaning i cannot reply a second time to my posts. Also i had an invite to a game and when i clicked the link, it was broken... Any help?
Vicus the Bard said: Hi there all. Kinda need help navigating through roll20 currently i cannot find any of my old LFG posts, so i have no idea whether someone has replied, or if the game is still searching etc. All of my "player application" posts etc, seem to be unaccessible, and my notifications have dissapeared once ive seen them once, meaning i cannot reply a second time to my posts. Also i had an invite to a game and when i clicked the link, it was broken... Any help? Vicus the Bard, the only way to go back to LFG posts/forums is to use your browser's bookmarks to remember the page. In regards to broken link few possibilities: your invite was canceled, the game was deleted by creator, the creator of game kicked a player after sending the invite.
I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere, but I'm a DM & 1 of my characters is a Werewolf, I'm just wondering if there's a status that a player can activate to resemble this? The all in one increase to strength, dex, con, & natural armor
I was wondering if anyone in here would be willing to teach me on how to be a dm.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Kevin Q. said: I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere, but I'm a DM & 1 of my characters is a Werewolf, I'm just wondering if there's a status that a player can activate to resemble this? The all in one increase to strength, dex, con, & natural armor What rpg system and sheet Kevin?  The regular Pathfinder sheet has buffs built-in which could handle buffing up to 6 attributes per buff.  Not sure how the 5e sheet's, or others handle buffs.  Depending on your sheet, there may be an API script solution like CharsetAttr.  API scripts are a pro perk however...

Edited 1501877080
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
INXT23 said: I was wondering if anyone in here would be willing to teach me on how to be a dm. Welcome to Roll20 INXT23. &nbsp;What system are you playing? &nbsp;Are you specifically asking how to be a dm using roll20? Youtube has some great actual-play vids of people playing rpg's, many of which are done using roll20. &nbsp;Cody's vids are a great resource also ( <a href="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCly0Thn_yZouwdJtg7Am62A/playlists" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCly0Thn_yZouwdJtg7Am62A/playlists</a> ) Learning to dm/gm usually starts by learning a system as a player. &nbsp;You can learn a lot about gm'ing by being a player. &nbsp;Good and bad. &nbsp;;-) &nbsp;Roll20 has a Looking for Group area that can help you get into a game. &nbsp;Also, there are lot's of resources on the web on how to become a better gm. &nbsp;
Thank you! =)

Edited 1501945903
I have a question. So i'm planning out a new Campaign and am goign to be DMing for the first time ever, as well as using Roll20 for the first time. Would it be better for me &nbsp;to (after writing the story and general goings on and encounters) make a game and pre-make all the assets on multiple different pages or just hop in with everyone and make the pages in roll20 as we go through the story? whats the best way to approach this, since DMing for the first time seems a little daunting.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ian. It all depends on whether you like games that are on the fly where the GM thinks on his feet (improv basically) or ones that are more structured such as a module. There are a few free modules on the marketplace that you can create a game with and learn from them. The&nbsp; master's vault is one of them.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Ian P. said: I have a question. So i'm planning out a new Campaign and am goign to be DMing for the first time ever, as well as using Roll20 for the first time. Would it be better for me &nbsp;to (after writing the story and general goings on and encounters) make a game and pre-make all the assets on multiple different pages or just hop in with everyone and make the pages in roll20 as we go through the story? whats the best way to approach this, since DMing for the first time seems a little daunting. No matter what you plan as a gm, the party will always do something unexpected.&nbsp; ;-)&nbsp; I usually over prepare trying to cover all scenarios only to be forced to "wing it" when the party decides to timetravel instead of going left...&nbsp; If you are running a story path of your own design, keep it loose.&nbsp; Think of it more as a series of encounters that you can dynamically adjust to the parties actions.&nbsp; Never let the players know they caught you unprepared, unless you want them to think they did,&nbsp; muhhhhhaaaaa....&nbsp; You can have maps/minions/encounters already created on roll20, but use more theater of the mind to transition from one pre-made encounter to the next.&nbsp; Hint:&nbsp; also have maps on hand for areas that DO NOT have anything significant.&nbsp; This helps keep the players on their toes.&nbsp; Good luck.&nbsp; Have fun.
Vince said: Kevin Q. said: I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere, but I'm a DM & 1 of my characters is a Werewolf, I'm just wondering if there's a status that a player can activate to resemble this? The all in one increase to strength, dex, con, & natural armor What rpg system and sheet Kevin? &nbsp;The regular Pathfinder sheet has buffs built-in which could handle buffing up to 6 attributes per buff. &nbsp;Not sure how the 5e sheet's, or others handle buffs. &nbsp;Depending on your sheet, there may be an API script solution like CharsetAttr. &nbsp;API scripts are a pro perk however... 3.5. What I'm hoping for is something that can not only mark the enhancements, but also account for daily usage limits.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A potential solution is to have 2 sheets for the player to use, one with the normal stats and one as the werewolf. The player can then just drag the appropriate token onto the VTT when the transformation happens and remove the other one (there may be some manual hit point adjustments needed though with this method). The alternative is (if the game creator &nbsp;is a pro subscriber) to utilise the power of the API, then you could use ChatSetAttr to do this.
Ziechael said: A potential solution is to have 2 sheets for the player to use, one with the normal stats and one as the werewolf. The player can then just drag the appropriate token onto the VTT when the transformation happens and remove the other one (there may be some manual hit point adjustments needed though with this method). The alternative is (if the game creator &nbsp;is a pro subscriber) to utilise the power of the API, then you could use ChatSetAttr to do this. Well, I'm the creator/DM. And honestly I'm not even going to consider paying for extra features until I have the current features down.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Understandable... and sensible lol. I'd suggest the multiple sheets option then, gives you everything you need with as little fuss as possible (you can just duplicate their main sheet and then change the bits that need changing).
First let me preface this by saying that I am in awe of the amount of hard work, time, and community effort goes into this website...I really...really want to help, and support the cause here. I'm already purchasing one of your Roll20 jerseys... Anyway My question is, is it possible to upload to your library, as a GM, more than one image at a time? Currently, when I'm in the VTT, and I want to upload pics of characters, maps, concept art etc...I can only upload 1 picture per upload? Is this the only way currently, or is there something I'm missing/overlooking to support multiple image uploads at a time?&nbsp; Thanks a bunch and again, I really hope to support this great grand website...It's a real testiment to pooling together the community to help.

Edited 1502354296
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Horizon_Brave, you can absolutely upload more than one image at a time. If you select all of the ones you want (up to 10 images at a time) and simply drag the files onto the VTT they'll all upload at once :) Check out the&nbsp; wiki for full details.
I like to research apps. before I subscribe or pay for it. I already own all three core manuals-Dungeon Master's Guide; Player's Handbook; Monster Manual, what I'm wondering is if I join this app. do I have to buy the manuals again or is there a way to enter or what ever it is to show that I do have these manuals. I'm also a computer illiterate, all the help that can be given is appreciated. Thank You
OK, just joined up with Roll20, though I've been playing RPGs for quite some time.&nbsp; Primarily a DM/GM, I was planning on using this because a few of my players in my prospective group have transportation problems, and also as a way of organizing both the GM and player material.&nbsp; (The background is homebrew, the campaign is original).&nbsp; I can only seem to primarily find things for while the game is running, not the info/prep, unless I'm looking at it wrong. I think what I need to ask, iand I may be putting it incorrectly, is there a way to make a "compendium" for the campaign?&nbsp; Basically an expandable players guide to write up and expand upon as they explore the world and and learn more/get more options.&nbsp; Also is there somewhere I can create all the needed NPCs (including complex ones with PC level complexity) and then put the stats into the game itself.&nbsp; (Create them and then put them to the vault?&nbsp; It's just what I've seen so far, seems to be more for the more minor encounters, not for the "big bad behind it all."&nbsp; How can I Get these set up? Same thing for new items, spells, feats, etc. (The game is a modified 3.5/Pathfind ruleset) Thanks in advance
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Rene L. said: I think what I need to ask, iand I may be putting it incorrectly, is there a way to make a "compendium" for the campaign? &nbsp; This is an oft requested feature and something the devs have said they want to do (Steve K. is particularly passionate about it, check some of the Q&A videos:&nbsp; <a href="https://youtu.be/cRrxsfMYCW8?t=1557" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/cRrxsfMYCW8?t=1557</a> ). &nbsp;My guess would be stay tuned... &nbsp; With the current feature set, you can setup handouts and characters in the game which can then be shared with players as needed. &nbsp;I have a section in my games called "Rules" where I throw in some additional things I do. &nbsp;Plus and Pro Subscribers have access to the Journal entries from the Game Details page, which can be a descent reference when you don't want to load the whole table. &nbsp;There is also the possibility for some API solutions with a Pro Subscription.
looking for john smith. John with an 'h'. And T-dogg
Hello. I'm trying to build my own D&D 5e Monster Manual as the cost for buying it is a bit prohibitive for me (I'm Brazilian and the exchange rate from my currency to USD is quite unfavorable at the moment), specially considering I already bought the hardcover. However, the NPC entries I make for the monsters using the OGL character sheet often break after some time (without any changes on my part), making my library of monsters somewhat unreliable. I have two examples to illustrate: 1) I set up all the monsters for Lost Mines of Phandelver in a game and checked that they worked. We didn't play for two weeks and when I came back half of the monster sheets were wiped. The entries were still there, but they were completely blank. Both sheet and token information were gone and I had to redo all of them. 2) Yesterday I imported a Priest from the Vault and the token action macros for spells were broken. I went to the original game I imported it from and tried to roll these spells directly from the character sheet (not using the macro) and got the same error ("KpgvYQa2kSfgyCynp2z|repeating_attack_-KpgquiCmTlZDoHX1x0t_attack" appears in chat instead of the roll). This happened to all spells that had an attack output (as opposed to a spellcard output). Am I building my macros wrong? How can I prevent monsters I create to "break" over time? It's very frustrating to drag a monster mid game and find out his actions are broken. Thank you. &nbsp;
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, Lincon B. Have you been switching between Character Sheets? For example, were you importing a Character that was using the 5e Shaped or 5e Community sheet into a 5e OGL Game?

Edited 1503292539
Still new here, been tinkering with this macro & I've got some of it done, but needing a bit of help please. I apologize because it's long. But the macro works for the most part, there's just a few things I want to have added in. I'm inclined to believe that if I can get this down & understand it, that I should be able to apply this to the majority of future macros. If you choose to rewrite it & add in the codes, I just ask that you explain what you added & what did what so I can apply it for use in future macros. This is for a 3.5e campaign... 1. What's the code to have this subtract the expended power points from my character sheet? 2. I have the popup asking what element, it defaults to fire. But is there a way to apply the elements bonus in the macro? Cold & Fire get +1 damage per power point. Sonic does -1 damage per power point. And if Electricity is chosen, is there a way to have it ask if the target has metal armor to be able to apply the +3 to attack rolls & +2 to caster level? Since Cold, Fire & Sonic are all +/- 1 per power point, I figure those should be possible, not certain on electric. &{template:DnD35StdRoll} {{spellflag=true}} {{name=@{character_name} }} {{subtags=Betty casts [Energy Ray!](<a href="http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyRay" rel="nofollow">http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyRay</a> )}} {{School= Psychokinesis }} {{Level= Psion/Wilder 1}} {{Cmpnts=Auditory}} {{Cast Time=Standard}} {{Range= Close ( [[25 +[[({floor(@{casterlevel}/2)*5}kl1) ]] ]] ft)}} {{Target= 1 creature }} {{Duration= Instantaneous}} {{Save?= None}} {{Spell Resist.= Yes}} {{CL check: = [[ 1d20+@{casterlevel}+@{spellpen} ]] vs SR}} {{compcheck=Concentration= [[ {1d20 + [[ @{concentration} ]] }&gt;?{Concentration DC=15+Spell Level or 10+Damage Received|0} ]] }} {{succeedcheck=Success!}} {{failcheck=Fail! }} {{check= An energy ray flys from Betty's pointed finger,}} &{template:DnD35Attack} {{attack=[[ 1d20 + [[ @{rangedattackbonus} ]] ]] vs Touch AC}} {{notes=@{rangedattacknote} }} {{checkroll=hitting for [[ ?{Power Points (1s)?|1}d6} ]] ?{Energy Type?|Fire} damage.}} {{notes= Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You create a ray of energy of the chosen type that shoots forth from your fingertip and strikes a target within range, dealing 1d6 points of damage, if you succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray. Cold: A ray of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. Electricity: Manifesting a ray of this energy type provides a +3 bonus on your attack roll if the target is wearing metal armor and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance. Fire: A ray of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. Sonic: A ray of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness. This power’s subtype is the same as the type of energy you manifest. Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6). }}
Please I need help. I'm 100% pure noob. I've watched a ton of videos and read a lot. I am getting roll20 but the player's handbook is a mountain of 300 pages staring down at me. I need to get my character sheets set up as I have a session tomorrow morning and a different one for Sunday night. One of the sessions is D&D 3.5e and the other 5e. That doubles how much studying I need to do. Please take pity on me. I really want to get plugged into this great community. I will be on Discord- Bloodwine Sot #5492
In a 3.5 macro, how do I cap the result? Example, ray of enfeeblement. 1d6 + (1 per 2 CL maximum 5)

Edited 1503270351
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
here's an example. [[ [[ 1d6 ]] [roll] + [[ {floor(@{casterlevel}/2),5}kl1 ]] [mod] ]]
ty
hey, ive only just been interested in D&D and found roll 20, can someone help me create a character? &nbsp;i have no idea where to actually start
Have to be in a campaign and then the DM has to give you a character sheet
Silvyre said: Hi, Lincon B. Have you been switching between Character Sheets? For example, were you importing a Character that was using the 5e Shaped or 5e Community sheet into a 5e OGL Game? Sorry about the delay. No, I haven't switched between character sheets. I've always used OGL.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Lincon B. said: Silvyre said: Hi, Lincon B. Have you been switching between Character Sheets? For example, were you importing a Character that was using the 5e Shaped or 5e Community sheet into a 5e OGL Game? Sorry about the delay. No, I haven't switched between character sheets. I've always used OGL. Okay; I've copied your posts over to the sheet's main thread for greater accessibility to the Devs. It's best if further troubleshooting takes place in there. Thanks!