Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

My Audio Feedback Thread

StateoftheArt said: also running into issues with uploading tracks.  i have one that is 14.5mg that showed 0% forever and another that is 13.7mg that is greyed out, the spinner is spinning but it doesn't even show a percent and i can't clear it. Is there any pattern with which tracks upload and which don't? Have you tried smaller audio files just to test?
I'm getting an issue where my uploaded tracks won't play later. They play fine when I first upload, sort, play them, etc. But when I close roll20, and open it later, the tracks won't play.

Edited 1550866909
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I too am having trouble uploading tracks.  I'm on pretty slow DSL if it helps.  Any time I get a file bigger than about 4-5mb, it stalls universally at the 80-90% mark.  I'm well under the 20mb limit, I'm talking like 7-8mb tracks.  The tracks work fine and I've even tried to use an assortment, it seems entirely linked to the file size - i.e. if it takes too long to upload, it won't.

Edited 1550866988
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Cullen E. said: StateoftheArt said: also running into issues with uploading tracks.  i have one that is 14.5mg that showed 0% forever and another that is 13.7mg that is greyed out, the spinner is spinning but it doesn't even show a percent and i can't clear it. Is there any pattern with which tracks upload and which don't? Have you tried smaller audio files just to test? I am definitely able to upload videos of 3MB or smaller 100% of the time, any larger it gets iffy and by 5MB they just won't go past the last 10%.
So, the Best Practices Wiki page says the OGG file type is supported by the Jukebox but when I go to upload an .ogg file, it tells me the filetype is *not* supported.  Which is it? Also, to help troubleshoot uploading issues, can someone at Roll20 confirm whether or not any post-upload processing is done on audio files?  For example, resampling or transcoding to different formats?  I ask because it looks like the spinning circle indicator is present while the file is actually uploading, but then it disappears and is replaced by a progress bar.  The progress bar is what often gets stuck.  It happens in the same place for a particular file.  I'm wondering if this is because this is a processing/transcoding step that is failing due to an issue with a particular file.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I just tested and was able to upload and play an .ogg file. No warnings. Have you tried a different .ogg file? There might be an issue with that particular one. As for post-processing, I remember it was discussed at one point, but I don't remember any details. I know graphics are, for performance reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was not true for audio.

Edited 1550896447
Jesse
Plus
I have tried transcoding the same mp3 file to ogg using both Audacity and Adobe Audition.  Both of those refuse to upload at all, give the "you can't upload files of this type" error.  Just tried transcoding a completely different mp3 to ogg and it still gives the same error trying to upload it.  This is with Firefox.  I'll give it a test in Chrome. EDIT: Neither ogg file will upload in Chrome, either.  Same "you can't upload files of this type" error. EDIT:  The ogg files both "uploaded" in Chrome.  The smaller, 3.6mb file also processed and became available.  The larger, 10.2mb file, dies at the same place on the progress bar as it does in Firefox when uploaded as an mp3, but at least Chrome isn't spouting the "you can't upload files of this type" error.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, my test was on the Chromebook, so that might be part of the equation.

Edited 1550910256
Even when I compress an mp3 file to 800kb it fails to upload because anything longer than a minute always freezes for me. :(
No problems uploading (and any audio hitches were from my end) but I've noticed; I can play about 4 or 5 tracks, either my own uploaded OR from Table-Top Audio / Incomptech and then... nothing.  no matter which track or what source, I get bupkis.  Re-loading the page is fine and things go back to "normal" but if I'm in the middle of a game, that's gonna seriously interfere with narrative flow if I have to hit [Refresh] and re-log back in every 4 to 5 tracks.

Edited 1550973048
Seems like a lot of the tracks I have that are 30 minutes long (they come out to about 14.5 mb or so in that range) fail to upload with the 413 error. It's getting a bit frustrating because I have like 10 tracks of that length (they're extended tracks) and they all fail to upload despite being under the limit... Edit: I can kinda confirm length is an issue because I've cut some of those down to 15 minutes and they uploaded fine.
Wow. It just seems starkly incompetent that a VTTRP company cannot produce a basic audio uploader that works. I'm sure there are plenty of college students that design the APP more competently, more quicker and for beer and pretzels. 

Edited 1551021058
I can definitely confirm that something is not right with audio uploads larger than 10mb. While files under 10mb uploaded, and are playing perfectly, anything above leads me to this gigantic error message, and I can't even read a damn thing in this error because it's just so long. Any fixes or workarounds for this would be much appreciated Post scriptum note: All the files downloaded is music ~10 minutes of length, and it still fails. Sizes vary from 13-15 mb, but in the "my audio" screen they get capped to 14.4mb
At this point, based on reports and behavior I've witnessed, I'm going to say the issue is not with the actual uploading of the file but with whatever post-processing Roll20 is doing to audio files on their end.  Either their processor is dying due to some characteristic in larger files or perhaps it's running longer than they have set to allow and getting terminated automatically. Hopefully Roll20 can sort it out soon.

Edited 1551027816
I can only say I can't even upload anything... Or rather, I can but then I can't -do- anything with it? Uploading a 3.5 mp3 file, I get the spinning wheel and progress bar as intended, but once it finishes there is just a giant X on top of the file(s). Underneath it says clear file. Dragging and dropping or anything doesn't work either, since as soon as I mouse over the file(s) I get a red textbox with a ton of html code. ( <!DOCTYPE html> <html lang="en"> <head> <meta charset="utf-8"> <title>Roll20: Online virtual tabletop for pen and paper RPGS and board games</title> and so on and so forth) Attempted in both chrome and firefox, chrome is clean of addons etc. Log: Reorder by ZORDER thumb.gif:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) app.js:546 Reorder by ZORDER app.js:550 Object app.js:549 EVENT: addedfile app.js:549 File app.js:549 EVENT: sending /audio_library/upload:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 () app.js:549 EVENT: complete app.js:549 EVENT: addedfile app.js:549 File app.js:549 EVENT: sending /audio_library/upload:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 () app.js:549 EVENT: complete app.js:562 window resize app.js:543 Final set zoom! app.js:542 UPDATE GL SIZE! app.js:543 Final set zoom! app.js:562 window resize app.js:543 Final set zoom! app.js:542 UPDATE GL SIZE! app.js:543 Final set zoom!
Huh.  First error log I've seen.  By chance are you out of storage space or really close to your limit?
Scott J. said: Wow. It just seems starkly incompetent that a VTTRP company cannot produce a basic audio uploader that works. I'm sure there are plenty of college students that design the APP more competently, more quicker and for beer and pretzels.  Honestly, it is one of my biggest problems with Roll20 as a whole. Not just in regards to the audio issue. They have been at this for years, and across those years have gotten not just our money, but licensing deals from Wizards, Paizo, etc. And issues that have existed since the start are still there, and new issues pop up all the time. They have been "working on" the issue with how the map space expands into white space and the like at certain zooms for SEVEN YEARS. New issues like the little line that pops up where card decks are supposed to be in the bottom right of the screen, which me and every player in my game, and games I play in, can replicate? "We can't replicate this issue". The zoom scroller issue when trying to use the numbered option on the left side? Ignored. And how much they have broken, and still not fixed, since putting out the animated/gif update. Something they should have rolled back until they could fix/figure out the issues, but haven't. And now? Now this audio stuff. At a certain point you just have to get exasperated by it all. C'mon, Roll20. We want you to be great.
Limite de 4Go??? ou bien??? Pour les fichiers audio j'entends... parce que je veux pas être vexant mais ça marche pas vraiment votre limite 20Go d'upload sur les telechargement des fichiers audio.

Edited 1551038958
Jesse
Plus
Keep in mind Roll20 isn't backed by millions of dollars in investment capital. It was founded with a ~$40k Kickstarter.  Its revenue streams are solely subscriptions, content sales, and what I imagine is a tiny stream from advertising here.  Those "licensing deals" mean they get to pay Wizards and Paizo for the right to spend more of Roll20's money converting content into Roll20 form in the hope that players will find it useful and buy it. So yeah, a lot of things here are chronically broken or unpolished.  They have a limited number of devs to throw at problems and they often have to focus on things that generate cash instead of spending it.  Roll20 recently had a community event for amateur coders to help work on new ideas and fix old ones.  Guess they didn't offer enough beer and pretzels because none of those were magically fixed by college students in a weekend.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Xiao said: Limite de 4Go??? ou bien??? Pour les fichiers audio j'entends... parce que je veux pas être vexant mais ça marche pas vraiment votre limite 20Go d'upload sur les telechargement des fichiers audio. The limit on uploading audio files is 20 MB, not 20 GB.

Edited 1551039817
I've finally uploaded and organized all of my sounds (literally thousands). When I went into my game room today, none of the sounds will play within my organized playlists. They still play within the uploaded My Audio section, but trying to get them to play within a playlist from the Jukebox doesn't play the sounds, and it attempts to play endlessly...
First off, @Roll20 Team, whoever worked on this deserves a big congratulations because as far as I'm concerned, this is fantastic. I've uploaded almost 2 gb of audio so far with some minor stalling here and there, but otherwise it works great.  Now for the conflicts.  I've had problems in a game already where audio isn't playing, even though I've uploaded it into My Audio. It simply won't play. When I test it out in My Audio, it either has to take a large amount of time to load, or requires multiple attempts at clicking on it after waiting periods in order to function which really kills the mood of gameplay. Additionally, many have stated this before myself, I've had problems uploading audio where it simply stalls out and never finishes. After multiple attempts, it works with larger mp3s, but it happened to me a gratuitous amount of times while uploading the 2 gb.  Other than those two issues, everything else has worked great. Keep up the good work and I look forward to more updates.
I am having trouble uploading tracks as well, it stalls when the upload is almost complete. I've tried waiting for hours to no avail. It sounds like I have the same problem than Robert R. Unfortunately I can't upgrade my internet, so if the problem is linked to my DSL, I hope something can be done, as I use a lot of music in my games. Thanks for your work.
Moving report here: Whiteboard  said: When I try to upload certain MP3 files, I get this error. The strange thing is that some do successfully upload but others do not.
I'm having hangups, any song over 2mb's seems to finish as in the bar looks complete but then the song never gets added to the playlist. I've tried uploading a 2.2 mb song and the bar goes all the way then hangs up, I've uploaded a 2.0 mb song successfully but never anything larger then that. All files are in mp3 format. while I do have poor Internet, less then 5mbps download and 1mbps upload i've never had a problem loading maps or images well over 2mb so hopefully we can get this issue solved as I know others are having the same problem with My Audio. I am not getting this long error people are reporting just a hangup like freeze. Browser is Firefox. thanks.
I've tried uploading a few sound effects that are only about 100 KB in MP3 format, and they seem to be making zero progress. There is a translucent white bar behind the spinner (which I'm guessing is the progress indicator), and while the spinner keeps moving, the progress bar has not changed. I have been waiting for 20+ minutes and the file still has not uploaded. I performed a speed test to make sure my internet was not being hindered, and had an upload speed of 22.85 Mbps, so I don't understand why it is not working. If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Quick summary: spinner has never stopped, and small audio files are not making any progress on upload.
From a game master, that is too busy running games and living life to spend as much time with this forum as he should, (that is why despite more than a thousand hours I have never commented on anything, I don't hate you or the community, for the protocol): From the bottom of my heart, thank you. The ability to upload my own stuff means the world and even though fanburst was the player I used most and it inconveniences me that all my playlists have to be remade, I understand that the rampant disreguard of copyright in that is not something you want to have sort of integrated. Bottom line though, having ALL the control is amazig. Seriously the best new feature that has been added ever since I started using this website and there have been some great new features in the past.
I see a lot of people are having this issue, but i guess i'll explain my issue too. when ever i try and upload anything over 2-3mbs it stops at the very end and never finishes. i tried clearing my cache, i tried different browsers, i tried different file types, i even tried leaving it for 3 hours. nothing worked.
oui 20 Mo je voulais dire mais bon, je pense qu'on avait compris. Dans tout les cas, je n'arrive pas à mettre mes musiques alors que je suis abonné au de là de 3Mo au lieu de 20.... Et pour le coup j'ai utilisé toutes les manipulations de débogage, etc... donc je pige pas... 
@Stephanie B. - Do you have any update regarding this yet? I did check my original files. I was uploading m4a files, however, even after converting them to mp3 I ran into the same stalling issue. The m4a files upload also do play seemingly without issue. Should this work? The Wireshark trace of the file uploading shows a mass of TCP Dup ACK and TCP Retransmission traffic, and it seems that from my PC the file transmission just stops as if it believes it has either sent all the data, or it is no longer being prompted to send more. Are you able to recreate this issue now? Is there anything further I can do to help troubleshoot?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Dresdon, We're still working on it. I am about to reach out to a few more folks to get more files. Your info is very helpful; we're investigating whether there's something odd going on once it gets encoded and put onto Roll20's servers that might be causing it to fail.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Mouse, Matthew B., and Pakki, Can you please send your audio file by email to <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> with "ATTN:Stephanie" in the subject? We're gathering some more samples that have failed for users to figure out what might be causing the issue. Pakki: Can you send both versions of your files-- the long 30-minute version, and the cut-down 15 minute version? Mouse said: I can only say I can't even upload anything... Or rather, I can but then I can't -do- anything with it?&nbsp; Matthew B. said: I see a lot of people are having this issue, but i guess i'll explain my issue too. when ever i try and upload anything over 2-3mbs it stops at the very end and never finishes. i tried clearing my cache, i tried different browsers, i tried different file types, i even tried leaving it for 3 hours. nothing worked. Pakki &nbsp;said: Edit: I can kinda confirm length is an issue because I've cut some of those down to 15 minutes and they uploaded fine.

Edited 1551120563
So I've noticed that any songs over 5 minutes seem to encounter this upload indefinite stall that a few people have mentioned, regardless of filesize. It's a song length issue, not a filesize issue.Which makes no sense. And when I say 5 minutes I think I literally mean exactly 5 minutes. If it's even a second over I think it stalls.&nbsp; At least that's what's been happening on my end... I see some people have gotten 15 minute songs up so I'm really not sure..
I've been having problems with uploading. All the files I try to upload stop about half way through.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Can you please send one of your 5-minute files that fail to <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> with "ATTN:Stephanie" so we can take a look? Angry_Rope said: So I've noticed that any songs over 5 minutes seem to encounter this upload indefinite stall that a few people have mentioned, regardless of filesize. It's a song length issue, not a filesize issue.Which makes no sense. And when I say 5 minutes I think I literally mean exactly 5 minutes. If it's even a second over I think it stalls.&nbsp; At least that's what's been happening on my end... I see some people have gotten 15 minute songs up so I'm really not sure..
I have sent you a song, Stephanie. I hope it helps. It's a very odd bug.

Edited 1551130447
Small update for the sake of the devs: I've attempted to upload a song that's less than 5 megabytes, but over 5 minutes. I believe it's 5 minutes and 5 seconds. That too has stalled and failed. Oh and I've done all the cache clearing and browser switching expected of me. I don't know if the console will provide anything but I can upload that too.
Angry_Rope said: So I've noticed that any songs over 5 minutes seem to encounter this upload indefinite stall that a few people have mentioned, regardless of filesize. It's a song length issue, not a filesize issue.Which makes no sense. And when I say 5 minutes I think I literally mean exactly 5 minutes. If it's even a second over I think it stalls.&nbsp; At least that's what's been happening on my end... I see some people have gotten 15 minute songs up so I'm really not sure.. FYI, The 5m song theory doesn't align with what I am seeing. The track I was trying to upload is Twin Elms from the Pillars of Eternity soundtrack, which is 9.5MB as an m4a or 8.5MB as an mp3. Track length in either case is 4:41

Edited 1551132337
The only difference between us is you're Pro and I'm Plus. That could have something to do with it? You could try sending me the song and I can try to upload it?
Another small update: My friend who has a Pro account can upload the songs I cannot. I made him a DM on my game and he can actually upload the songs I can't directly into my playlist... So I have a work-around which is great. His internet is much faster than mine but I don't think that's a factor. I left it for a very long time and it always stops in exactly the same way. The Plus/Pro aspect I think is worth investigating.&nbsp;

Edited 1551133608
Jesse
Plus
It could be an internet speed issue on your part if the upload process has a time limit on the server side and is getting terminated before the upload can complete.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks, Angry_Rope; I did get your audio file. We will not ignore the possibility that it's a Plus/Pro issue. However, I have a Free account I use for testing which also cannot recreate the issue.
This is such a frustrating issue. Almost all of my uploads stop at either halfway or a little over halfway. Originally my workaround was to upload through my laptop, but I am getting the same issues through that now as well. I am on campus internet, but I tested it with a phone hot spot and I got the same thing, so it is seemingly a Roll20 thing. If literally any progress is made on this, please respond.
I'm having problems with long audios. The progress bar freezes at ~75% forever. It doesn't matter the file size or type, and I've tried different browsers, different roll20 games, mp3 and ogg, and so on. Once in a while it does give me a 413 error, I just got one on a 7.5mb file that's 25 minutes long. It seems like anything that goes longer than ~15 minutes messes up.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, all. We pushed some code this morning that, while not directly related to My Audio, does give you a one-click method to remove all Fanburst and Soundcload tracks from your game.
I created a new game called Jukebox and was able to upload all my audio files there without a problem. My thought was to use this game to transmogrify the tracks to various games I run. They seemed to play fine this weekend and the audio upload tool was great! However, last night, in an existing game, after deleting all the fanburst tracks then transmogrifying the uploaded tracks, my players could hear the tracks and I as the GM could not. I should specify I deleted the tracks and transmogrified the new ones this last weekend to test things. A few tracks seemed to play fine initially but I never tried every track that I transmogrified.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As I understand it, you shouldn't need to transmogrify My Audio at all. It's a music library. You can add them while logged into any game. They only appear "in your game" if you add them to the jukebox or playlist to that game from the My Audio tab. In other words, it's a feature that works for any user, not just Pro with Transmogrifier.
Just a thought about this. Does the Roll20 backend start processing uploading audio before the whole file has been transferred? If so, with a crappy upload speed like mine is it possibly re-encoding the file faster than I can upload it and then getting stuck.
I've been having trouble uploading songs myself. I couldn't upload anything above 2mb at first, then I tried the clear the cache thing and I was able to upload things up to 3mb. What really strikes me as odd is that the same song I tried to upload to my account and failed due to being stuck at uploading indefinitely, a friend of mine was able to. 4min42s long, 4.5mb. I tried with different browsers (Opera, Firefox and Chrome) to no avail.&nbsp; I'm honestly very frustrated with this. With Fanburst going down, the 5usd weights a lot on my budget due to the harsh usd to brl conversion rating. The only reason I'm paying solely for the audio feature so I can play multiple layers of SFX easily for my games. Please fix, guyses. :C
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well, I have to say I've had absolutely no issues uploading music or playing it.&nbsp; None at all.&nbsp; There might be a time out issue going for users with poor internet.&nbsp;&nbsp;