Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Bar Redesign Bug Thread

What the ? So i changed my tokens to show all and all i see is just bar 1? If you are going to do drop boxes then make sure they work! Really upset that i have been working for a month on my new module and i'm almost done and now this happens? Doesn't anybody test this stuff to make sure it works before releasing it to the public??????????????
Adding my voice to having an option to have the bars above the token. Due to this update, I have hidden all the bars from my tokens to see the artwork. 
It's great to see Roll20 trying to improve what is already an outstanding product. Personally I like the overlapping bar on the tokens and appreciate that Roll20 made the update as a response for the many people calling for enabling bars within the tokens.  I do think that an option with greater flexibility in placing the token bars, their size, etc., would be positively received by all.   It's great to hear the feedback from the community.  I would suggest that those providing feedback (1) think of everyone in the community who might not have the same perspective as them and (2) stay constructive and positive. One question for Keith... keithcurtis said: I realize this is not a perfect solution, but you can recover some of the central art by moving status icons to the bottom in the settings tab. I looked in settings and couldn't find this setting.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but Keith could you be more specific, or show a screen shot?  I'd send you a PM about this but perhaps I'm not the only one?  :-)
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Scott P. said: keithcurtis said: I realize this is not a perfect solution, but you can recover some of the central art by moving status icons to the bottom in the settings tab. I looked in settings and couldn't find this setting.&nbsp; I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but Keith could you be more specific, or show a screen shot?&nbsp; I'd send you a PM about this but perhaps I'm not the only one?&nbsp; :-) Not Keith, but you can find the setting here:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/My_Settings#Game_Settings" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/My_Settings#Game_Settings</a> This is in game (just under the part where you adjust the token bar colors), not on the out of game Settings page. You'll only see it if you are the GM of the game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is true, it is a game-wide in-game setting:
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
The bars I can live with, it's the status indicators covering everything that has me vexed. Now we can't see the tokens at all - everyone is a status bar and a pile of status icons... with a color behind it that might have once been the character token.&nbsp;
Can please someone from dev team respond in this thread with their plans and timelines to fix tokens?
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Just wanted to chime in, after having now run several sessions using the new bar system, I am incredibly happy with this update. It is a definite improvement over the old system (at least for my style of playing). While I am sure that more options and tweaks to this system (as suggested by others in this thread) will make it better and help out other players who want to use the bars in different ways, I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work on this to the Devs, and let you know it is a much appreciated quality of life improvement!
Hi everyone! Sorry for the delayed response here! There were a few things added to the known issues list and you can view those additions here . Real quick, I have seen the token bar overlapping the token being brought up a lot so I just wanted to reiterate that it is in fact a known issue, there is some functionality missing there that we are fully aware of and intend to rectify. We understand the temporary workaround outlined in&nbsp; Known Issue 1 &nbsp;is not the ideal scenario so this is very high on the priority list for this update. Now on to questions! Regarding Overseer's post : Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce this issue on our end. Could you provide some steps you used to set up a token preferably in a new game so we can ensure we are not missing anything. Thanks! To that end, it would also be wise to check and make sure that any addons or extensions are disabled while creating the new game just to be sure there are no interfering aspects from that end Regarding Chris S.'s post: Could you provide some screenshots of your token settings and what it is you are seeing? We were not able to replicate this behavior so steps to reproduce (ideally in a new game) would also be appreciated to pin point the issue. Thank you! Regarding Marek's post: It is hard to tell exactly what might be the cause here. Could you provide us with the name of the game and map so we can take a closer look? We will need to see what settings are in play here to help pin down the issue. Regarding Brian A.'s post: It almost seems you might be having a similar issue to Marek's. Could you clarify what you are running into exactly? Screenshots, settings, a name of a game that we can peek into would all be helpful. Thank you! Regarding John C.'s post: We are seeing this behavior on our end to. It is going to need some additional investigation from the dev team to nail down. I have added this to the known issues list. Regarding John C.'s 2nd post: We were able to reproduce this on our end as well. This has been added to the known issues list. Keep the reports coming everyone, and thank you!
I like the numbers (for the most part) but hate the placement since it covers the token artwork I spent time putting together, I'd be especially pissed if I'd bought tokens from the marketplace that I now couldn't see much of thanks to this update. I've been playing on Roll20 since 2014 and this is the first time I've heard of the majority of bars being above the token as a "bug" that needed fixing. The "work around" makes it no better either and I'm surprised the toggle option people in the thread are suggestion wasn't something you'd already thought to put in since a large portion of your users seem to very much prefer their token art not being obstructed, original functionality or not be damned. Also shifting the icons to the side means they're covered up by the lowest bar, which if you're not using a blank bar, means at the worst you basically can't see them and at best it looks like poor/cluttered UI design.

Edited 1556231127
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
While I haven't been filling in the maximum value on 2 of the bars so they won't show, I am another person using all 3 bubbles for info.&nbsp; With that being the case, I don't have a blank bar to activate to bring the main bar above the token.&nbsp; I'm sure it would be more bother than simply having the text toggle, but would it be possible for the bars to become narrower when the text is disabled?&nbsp; I also have a lot of maps with cells set at .5.&nbsp; That really doesn't make the bars look so great right now.

Edited 1556283353
I think I'm the only person here who actually LIKES the placement of the bars. I love that the first bar covers the top of the token. It stops it impeding on the token above. - Please, if Roll20 DOES change this due to pressure, please, please, please have an option to set the token position BACK to this new way!&nbsp;
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm glad someone said it... I like it too, having been used to the floating one previously it took a hot minute to adjust but other than having to redesign a couple of tokens that had key details higher up on them I've not been inconvenienced by this at all. I also agree that a toggle for alternative behaviour sounds like a great way to give everyone what they want out of this :) godthedj said: I think I'm the only person here who actually LIKES the placement of the bars.
These new bars are definitely a improvement over the previous iteration but, and this may just be myself and my group, we miss the overflow on the bars. it was just a fun feeling to watch an enemies bar go so far into the negatives and just stretch so far that it covered multiple squares.
I was one of the people requesting bars over the tokens. I like art, but I need to be able to see the bars, and with a lot of tokens on the map things get impossible to see really quickly. Thank you for making the change! One idea: in addition to custom settings, could adding some hover behavior help? Have a default bar position and a hover bar position. When you hover over a token, you could have the bars slide up away from the art. If you want to go the full customization route, have two user settings, one for default bar position and a second for hover bar position? Not sure it's the best solution out there. Just a thought...&nbsp;
Amxal said: These new bars are definitely a improvement over the previous iteration but, and this may just be myself and my group, we miss the overflow on the bars. it was just a fun feeling to watch an enemies bar go so far into the negatives and just stretch so far that it covered multiple squares. We really liked the overflow, too.
Michael's post says it all for me. Need to see the token art!
Drespar said: Hi everyone! Sorry for the delayed response here! There were a few things added to the known issues list and you can view those additions here . Real quick, I have seen the token bar overlapping the token being brought up a lot so I just wanted to reiterate that it is in fact a known issue, there is some functionality missing there that we are fully aware of and intend to rectify. We understand the temporary workaround outlined in&nbsp; Known Issue 1 &nbsp;is not the ideal scenario so this is very high on the priority list for this update. Now on to questions! Thank you very much!
Brian A. said: Michael's post says it all for me. Need to see the token art! Thank you! Also was unaware about the overflow for the bars being removed, that's a shame too because it was fun to show massive damage or overcharged health. From what I remember of the old set up too you could see the health of vertically adjacent tokens easily by bringing the bottom token to the front in the right click options which would make their health bar appear over the token in the above square. A simple option to toggle (or even a setting to adjust/access the placement values) would've been a brilliant way to not cause issues with this update and hopefully it'll be something that gets added, although setting up the offset for every (placed or default) token will be a pain with ~50 sheets in my game.
Regarding Marek's post: It is hard to tell exactly what might be the cause here. Could you provide us with the name of the game and map so we can take a closer look? We will need to see what settings are in play here to help pin down the issue. Keep the reports coming everyone, and thank you! It's happening on all maps, within any game I play. If you need a specific game to check, I'm running one called "Starfinder: Travelling the Stars".
New design decapitates tokens... would really appreciate moving the bars up a bit.
I'd also like the bar at least the green one as it reflects health in my players tokens to be just above the top of the token please, HP numbers are nice but not being able to see each characters token face is not so good. I see the work around or just do the 1 box and 20/20 Health but not as quick to adjust.&nbsp; Red bar I have as AC so 1 box filled not a prob, green HP covers face, Blue bubble/bat are usually for spells, powers, channels remaining so again 2 box fill in so token can get to be kinda ugly and has a video game effect I and my players are not looking for please. Hope we will get something soon Tom(GM) and about 24 of my players players :)
I absolutely hate this new update.&nbsp; For one, the experimental features thing in apply default settings isn't there on my account at all.&nbsp; Token settings is just blank.&nbsp; I'm also experiencing lag in the system, its taking me 2-3 minutes to update a single token's HP and I've gone back to using pen and paper to track HP because this lag is just too slow.&nbsp; It wasn't lagging like this before the update.&nbsp; Also, whose bright Idea was it to set the "edit" checkboxes all to the "on" position when this was rolled out?&nbsp; You can't even set it up in the game settings where you can set up the defaults for tokens so you still have to manually edit the damn tokens anyway... Very annoying.&nbsp; I'm probably going to hide every one of these "bars" now as they're getting in the way of the token and don't look nice either.&nbsp; You've forced me to spend hours of prep time just undoing this damn update since it rolled out.&nbsp; I've had to edit many tokens manually because of this update and I'm not particularly happy about it.&nbsp; This update has caused me to edit tokens and delete many from maps to readd them after setting up new versions with all those edit checkboxes set to off.&nbsp; Along with having to set the damn things to "hidden".&nbsp; Thanks alot for this useless update I didn't ask for, much less the extra work its caused me to have to do for my game.
Resetting the marker position has never worked for me. I choose bottom and nothing happens the status bar remains at the top. What is wrong?
never mind answered my own question
Have the people who want the bars above the token never run into the problem of an enemy or ally token in the square above obscuring the bar? And if you bring the token to the front, then it obscures the bottom of the art on the nearby token, so...something is going to be obscured. Just curious.
Re: Michael's Post Also shifting the icons to the side means they're covered up by the lowest bar, which if you're not using a blank bar, means at the worst you basically can't see them and at best it looks like poor/cluttered UI design. This certainly seems to be a bug. I have added it to the Known Issues list.
Re: Marek's follow up It's happening on all maps, within any game I play. If you need a specific game to check, I'm running one called "Starfinder: Travelling the Stars". Thank you for that extra information. Taking a closer look at the game you mentioned I was unable to reproduce this behavior. Looking at the backend I did see there were some script injections in the game from an extension. My suggestion would be to ensure any extensions are disabled, if it persists after that, try creating a new game while the extension is disabled and see if you are able to reproduce it there.
Spren
Sheet Author
Chris S. said: Have the people who want the bars above the token never run into the problem of an enemy or ally token in the square above obscuring the bar? And if you bring the token to the front, then it obscures the bottom of the art on the nearby token, so...something is going to be obscured. Just curious. Sure. This happens all the time, and it is annoying, but it's temporary. Move the token away from the other token and all is well again. With the new bars you don't get that option, you just get a permanently obscured token and that's it. They've mentioned it's on the list to fix though so hopefully we see something soon.
Chris S. said: Have the people who want the bars above the token never run into the problem of an enemy or ally token in the square above obscuring the bar? And if you bring the token to the front, then it obscures the bottom of the art on the nearby token, so...something is going to be obscured. Just curious. Sure but that token covered is usually not that players or monsters turn , and for me and most of my players covering up the head area seems quite a problem compared to covering a name plate or the lower half of a token.&nbsp; And one can as you said pop the token to front if it is active so players and GM;s ca see the pic specifically. My end result so far is HP and all other stats are only in one box so no bar and they just use the bubble for up and down HP, but now none can see a bar and HP is a pretty big deal,&nbsp; I used to usually have all players just see the old green health bar once they got to know each other so they have some idea on HP of others in combat. But no this won't happen, wait and see I guess, only other thing is one can have a lot of space above thew head so new bar&nbsp; not blocking face or sometimes half the figure in the pic depending on their position.&nbsp; I use full square token pics for players, NPC's and monsters, the round ones just don't do it for me sadly/ Tom
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
From what I'm seeing, there are definitely two camps of folks who want the bar either inside or outside of the token's area. Since these are fairly mutually exclusive, hopefully the Roll20 solution will offer a toggle of some kind.

Edited 1556393343
Chris S. said: Have the people who want the bars above the token never run into the problem of an enemy or ally token in the square above obscuring the bar? And if you bring the token to the front, then it obscures the bottom of the art on the nearby token, so...something is going to be obscured. Just curious. Why yes we ran into that scenario and we fixed it by bringing the bottom token to the front, temporarily the bottom of the token was obscured whilst they were next to each other and that was fine. It was much better than this mess, where without the empty bar a large portion of the token is permanently obscured. Funny thing is the situation is no better than previously if you have more than one bar, so while you previously only have parts of a token being obscured you've still got that problem even when they're not vertically adjacent. Additionally any status icons are now always &nbsp;obscured when tokens are vertically adjacent as no matter their placement either the bars from below will cover them or, if aligned to the sides, their own token's bars cover them. God forbid you have those icons top aligned because then you'll see none of that token artwork: The numbers were nice, but the rest of this update was a downgrade.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think this is a perfect time to implement the 'show bars on hover' suggestion that has been around for a while, would solve most issues in this thread in my opinion ;)
Thanks for the replies everyone.&nbsp; I appreciate your time helping me see your use case.
Hello, happy to see the development efforts. It would be nice to have an input box that takes a float to allow users to set the amount offset for bars and status icons. +1 on hover status suggestion too.
I really dislike this change.&nbsp; I understand the intent and like it, but I'll need to modify all my tokens to include white space at the top (which is awkward since most token art is already skewed vertically).&nbsp; Revamping all my tokens mid campaign isn't really feasible so I would also like an option to go back to the old bar style and position or an option to specify the location of the bars with the new system. Until these types of options can be implemented I would strongly suggest reverting the change as it has a large impact on a number of games.
This does not seem like an improvement. Please reduce the size of the bars on larger maps as they obscure too much of the token. I'm running DoTMM and both my players and I all dislike this new layout. A toggle feature from old settings to new cannot be that hard to implement. Going by the amount of "Old ways" supporters in this thread, I think they have the majority vote. These changes should be reverted and the "New way" should be toggleable by playing around with game settings.
When can we see a fix for this? Are the devs currently working on one? What is the statis with this issue? Some feedback would be nice.
Asher. In regard to DoTMM - I ended up increasing the map to DOUBLE the usual size, and putting the scale back to 1. All the token bars then effectively 'shrank' back to the better, more manageable size. - Just remember to drag and resize the other layers like dynamic lighting too. There is an example of my DoTMM campaign in a screenshot in this thread further up.
Daedalus said: I really dislike this change.&nbsp; I understand the intent and like it, but I'll need to modify all my tokens to include white space at the top (which is awkward since most token art is already skewed vertically).&nbsp; Revamping all my tokens mid campaign isn't really feasible so I would also like an option to go back to the old bar style and position or an option to specify the location of the bars with the new system. Until these types of options can be implemented I would strongly suggest reverting the change as it has a large impact on a number of games. godthedj &nbsp;said: Asher. In regard to DoTMM - I ended up increasing the map to DOUBLE the usual size, and putting the scale back to 1. All the token bars then effectively 'shrank' back to the better, more manageable size. - Just remember to drag and resize the other layers like dynamic lighting too. There is an example of my DoTMM campaign in a screenshot in this thread further up. Between these two posts alone it's amazing how much work this "improvement" has caused the end user that wouldn't have to be done otherwise.
So I have a curious problem happening in my game after the token update involving some custom tokens and their custom Monster sheets. I created some new versions of goblins, using the 5e compendium Goblin and Goblin boss sheets as a base and then editing those sheets, and then uploaded my own (custom) artwork for the tokens (got the artwork off google search actually). Namely I created Goblin Wizards and Goblin Priests (and some regular goblins with a female token appearance for variety) to add to a dungeon to shake things up a bit. However, it seems now as my players played through a portion of this dungeon tonight that the custom tokens are bugged. When i try to edit the HP of one single token all tokens connect to the sheet for that one have their HP adjusted as well. Which is odd when the original 5e tokens don't act that way with their tokens (each token has a separate HP that doesn't effect other similar 5e tokens) yet these custom tokens seem to when they shouldn't. The result being that goblins that should be at full health end up appearing as they aren't when a similar goblin takes damage.
Huntress said: So I have a curious problem happening in my game after the token update involving some custom tokens and their custom Monster sheets. I created some new versions of goblins, using the 5e compendium Goblin and Goblin boss sheets as a base and then editing those sheets, and then uploaded my own (custom) artwork for the tokens (got the artwork off google search actually). Namely I created Goblin Wizards and Goblin Priests (and some regular goblins with a female token appearance for variety) to add to a dungeon to shake things up a bit. However, it seems now as my players played through a portion of this dungeon tonight that the custom tokens are bugged. When i try to edit the HP of one single token all tokens connect to the sheet for that one have their HP adjusted as well. Which is odd when the original 5e tokens don't act that way with their tokens (each token has a separate HP that doesn't effect other similar 5e tokens) yet these custom tokens seem to when they shouldn't. The result being that goblins that should be at full health end up appearing as they aren't when a similar goblin takes damage. Did you make them as Mook tokens?&nbsp; If they're linked to the character sheet this "bug" you found is going to happen.&nbsp; Try deleting the tokens from the custom sheet and setting them up as Mook tokens, that should fix this error...

Edited 1556598759
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's the wiki link &nbsp;for linking tokens to journals (as characters and as mooks). And here's a video that just steps through the same steps.

Edited 1556620496
Yeah, I suffered a similar error myself&nbsp; while back. I'm sure it's simply because the tokens HP is LINKED to the ONE character sheet, presumably called 'Goblin'. On the token bars, make sure that the HP Bar (presumably the top green one) is NOT linked to the goblin characters HP. Because they're all linked to the same character, when that character looses HP, then everyone linked to the same character will ALSO loose HP.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone! This morning we pushed out code that makes the token bar placement configurable. You can read about it in the release notes here . The token bar placement is now configurable. On the token settings dialog box, there is now a "Bar Position" setting, where you can select Above, Top Overlapping, Bottom Overlapping, and Below. Please note that you can change the&nbsp; location of the status icons &nbsp;for your game if they're in the way of the token bars.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Very, very nice!

Edited 1556652814
Would you please fix it so the token setting are applied to the default tokens attached the sheets? Currently when we save and apply the default settings the tokens on the tabletop get updated but the tokens that we can pull from a journal have not had the changes applied to them.
Stephanie B. said: Hi, everyone! This morning we pushed out code that makes the token bar placement configurable. You can read about it in the release notes here . The token bar placement is now configurable. On the token settings dialog box, there is now a "Bar Position" setting, where you can select Above, Top Overlapping, Bottom Overlapping, and Below. Please note that you can change the&nbsp; location of the status icons &nbsp;for your game if they're in the way of the token bars. Huzzah! Ed S. said: Would you please fix it so the token setting are applied to the default tokens attached the sheets? Currently when we save and apply the default settings the tokens on the tabletop get updated but the tokens that we can pull from a journal have not had the changes applied to them. The default tokens have never automatically updated to match the ones added to a table top, it's all there in this wiki link &nbsp;that Keith provided earlier.
You are talking about a different thing. What am stating is that when the global game settings changes for the tokens are applied in the settings tab, they are not applying to the default tokens in the journal. So if I turn off the numbers in my game and apply the changes all the tokens on the tabletop have their number turned off but if I pull a new goblin from the journal onto the table top, boom it still has the numbers! That's because those settings haven't been applied like they should be. Michael said: The default tokens have never automatically updated to match the ones added to a table top, it's all there in this wiki link &nbsp;that Keith provided earlier.