Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Please fix the 5e Compendium, it's awful.

Score + 191
+1 Many results seem to end up opening up unrelated pages that do not lead anywhere; the combat page is a common one already mentioned by the OP. Other searches for keywords in the books, especially the PHB, just don't find anything when you'd expect these to be the most obvious candidates for search words, e.g., half cover, obscured, darkness, bright light.
+1 Links to things found in core books (example: Dodge action) point to other products instead like "Wardlings Campaign Guide". I'm like what? You can't show me Dodge before I buy this new book? Things like that make the Compendium only useful for drag and drop, you need to get physical books or pdfs to be able to read them! Cant spent any more money on this half a product (that is still sold at full price). Please fix compendium linx so I can help new people learn DnD.
Kenton said: Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The Compendium - both in the Virtual Tabletop, as well as the external tool - are being worked on. We enhanced the Compendium Search  not too long ago, and we are not finished yet. This reply was made a year ago. Where are we with this? I am so annoyed at myself for trusting that you'd ever sort these issues out, and I carried on buying the books on Roll20 which are now useless to me.
This is still a problem.
Streaky H. said: This is still a problem. It has not even been tackled by Roll20 devs since it arised... so yeah... It does NOT seem Roll20 cares much about it... as well as dark mode for their own sheets... ALL they need to do is HIRE someone who specifically looks at those compendiums and does NOTHING else... First THIS Compendium, then maybe custom compendiums as a next big project...
Bought a lot of books trusting that the compendium would be something a CS student wouldn't feel ashamed of. This was a bad mistake. Just buy your content on D&D Beyond, the headache transcribing it is much less than the headache trying to access content you paid for in roll20's interface. Otherwise, caveat emptor -- use the compendium for your gaming tasks for a session, then consider your purchases.  Solutions: 1. Synchronize licensing with D&D Beyond so I can buy content once and/or get a 90% discount cross buying.  2. Fix the compendium. A well designed filter mechanism, an infinite scroll view for flipping through pages...really, just knock off D&D Beyond's UX, it's great. Oh, also sort out the load times.  3. Refunds for a non-functional product.
+1 I am sad to say that me and my group won't be buying any more books here at Roll20 until the books we already bought works at least as good as the physical copies some of us have. Any normal PDF works better than licensed adaptations and that's just... Depressing...
The 5e compendium is only useful for occasional, partial look-ups, and providing pre-filled information for (most but not all) character/game needs. It is worthless to try to 'read' in any contiguous way. I have no idea why it has to be this way and how any licensing wouldn't extend to a literal, contiguous, searchable, navigable version of the books. It is a pretty low bar compared to everything else that the compendium already is, but a necessary one to meet for folks to easily find info. Most games im in, people need yet another copy, be it electronic or physical, to actually find anything.
+1, although I'd rephrase it as "Please enhance compendium search" The limitations of the 5E compendium may be Roll20's choice, since it looks to be structured as a reference tool rather than a tutorial, but that problem is rooted in the 5E books themselves.  Try figuring out how stealth really works, the rules are not nicely organized in one place. But they could make it a lot more useful if you could just find things in it better.  The index in the paper books is pretty horrible, and nearly anything would be an improvement. But it's hard to call the current compendium search function an improvement on the paper index. I recently purchased the Player Bundle to test out the charactermancer, which I'd not previously used since I have a shelf full of books I don't want to re-buy.  And it works for that, sort of.  But the compendium in-game, while hardly useless, is crippled by the lack of a good search capability, and that's true whether you're using the SRD, 5E, or anything else.  For example: I enter the words "paladin smite" (no quotes) in the in-game compendium search bar. Neither SRD (from my test account in a game using the SRD) or 5E (from my normal account in my new game that has the books shared with it) turn up ANY results. A search on "paladin" turns up three pages in SRD and 14 in 5E, so it definitely knows the content is there. But it's apparently searching by handout title or a really weak set of keywords, rather than content, because "Divine Smite" is described in the Paladin handout, and the various smite spells in the Paladin Spells handouts (both those are alphabetized, but you have to know to look for Searing Smite or Thunderous Smite, etc. in them, because "paladin smite" doesn't find any of that. For a player trying to figure out what this "smite" stuff people are talking about means, before building a paladin character, or  a DM trying to quickly assemble an NPC, it's effectively useless. I don't need 14 long handouts, I need the one where my question is answed, preferably highlighted the way keyword-searching in a PDF would work. I use google search on the web for that kind of search, which works well, and also gets me rules discussions on redit and stackexchange as a side effect.  But the in-game compendium would be really enhanced with a content-aware seach capability, particularly for more obscure compendium content like adventure modules, that haven't been (illegally) replicated word for word on websites. And that would give me more reason to buy those other books electronically, something I lack today (particularly with the hardcover, unindexed as most are, sitting on my bookshelf). Search is one of the biggest value-adds of electronic media over paper, and really needs a better implementation.
+1 and I'll second what Ken S. describes. The search function in the compendium could be much more user-friendly. Using Google (or your favorite brand of) search to find things has advantages, but not every player is well versed in effective use of search engines. Many people that accesses the internet daily don't actually know much about it or the devices they use to access it.  Ken S. said: +1, although I'd rephrase it as "Please enhance compendium search"
Agreed. I have been satisfied with the table top elements of Roll 20 but it feels generally unpolished in some areas, like simply reading the compendium. I think it would improve the overall feel of the platform tremendously if there were a little more thought put into the user experience of all the available features.
This doesn't even mention the spelling mistakes & grammar mistakes, traits of items that are missing for drag and drop functionality (weapons missing range, and other details) Imagine actually finding what you are looking for, and the information looks right, but then it comes to 'Drag & Drop' anything can happen. Drag and drop the sling into a NPC sheet, range of 5 ft.? Okay thanks Roll 20. The scary thing is I found this in 5 minutes, and its been here for years and years, is there no quality control?  Imagine paying full price + paying for Drag and gruop functionality and you have to double check every line of info because who knows what else can be wrong in here, if they can't handle the range of a sling from the most basic 'EK' package, how are they going to handle data entry in their expansion packs? I would be so embarrassed.   What a bad joke.