Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Allow players to view multiple - GM selected - maps

Score + 135

Edited 1615316811
Hi all :) apologies if I missed anything, poking around the forum, to check if this idea was already raised, found a closed suggestion thread from 4 years ago: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3128994/allow-players-to-view-multiple-maps" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3128994/allow-players-to-view-multiple-maps</a> Morgan, allow me to C&amp;P your original text and re-phrase it with some more examples :) *************&nbsp; &nbsp;UPDATE&nbsp; ************* POSSIBLE INTEGRATION: Maybe as an additional Icon like the icons(i.e. Archive / Settings / Delete) appearing when GM hovers over maps with the mouse. Would be quick and easy :-) If player wants to com back to the current main map, they just need to select the map with the player ribbon on it. GM would get some sort of option to force all players back onto the Ribbon marked map. POTENTIAL FEATURES &amp; BENEFITS: 1.) Allowing players to re-visit world or town maps even while exploring a dungeon or other map-centric area. This way each player can zoom in and out as they like, to double-check things(e.g. names, specific buildings, etc.) on already discovered areas of dungeon levels, overland maps, etc. IMO Journal entries would not work, as they typically shows the full area, displaying all GM relevant hints. 2.) Allowing characters to reference back to previous locations in a dungeon or other large structure&nbsp; without GM intervention , not disrupting game experience for the other players. 3.) Players are not allowed to move their tokens for the and back, it is just to view and zoom in already explored areas of other GM pre-approved maps 4.) NPC interaction,&nbsp; player could quickly check on referenced maps, check for or notes written there by the group, or add some new notes on the map/landingpage/homebase.&nbsp; 5.) This would be also useful for players when the GM is offline, or currently not available 6.) GM do not need API access, adding to the overall roll20 experience Thanks!
This, definitely.&nbsp; Being able to allow players to toggle between a local map and a campaign map on their own would be awesome.&nbsp;
This definitely sounds like a great idea to implement!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Agreed! I love this idea.&nbsp;
Yeah, I really like this idea, could be really handy as a player
My players asking quite often to swap maps just to double check some new details or locations hinted at by a treasure-map, then back onto the dungeon map to continue the game. Suppose it will save time and keep traction on the game, if just one of the players checks on the half-discovered overland-map instead of the whole group.

Edited 1591480526
And think about NPC interaction: In a dungeon, the player characters encounter an NPC, who propose a deal. Go to city XYZ give this to 123, then pls. go into the woods called abc. One of the players then says, wait! Is the dragon's hoard of 456 located nearby this wood? I think it was a valley hidden in that wood. You know, the dragon still angry about our incursion. Imagine this player could quickly check one or two of the overland maps displaying such details, or notes written there by the group. This would speed up decision and map load times not affecting whole group.
I really like this idea.
This does sound like a great idea! Great for having a map of an area so the players can go back and look at it while they explore instead of having to move them back and forth.

Edited 1593067682
Rain
KS Backer
A possible (partial) workaround in the meantime might be to make map handouts for the players. That wont really work for all the non-static things on the map, of course. You could perhaps take a screenshot of the state the map was in when the players last left it and use that?
Yeah sure, I can do that. It is sort of limited though (i.e. players cannot draw or text on maps, just adding comments, etc.)&nbsp; and crowding up the Journal with handouts, naming them is also tricky as you as GM typically wants meaningful names ;) Would be really helpful and adding to the gaming experience to allow (as GM) players to swap on map level anytime they like, and do some checks or notes directly on the map.
There's an API for this!
Not sure to understand what your point is Jim. Can you explain please?
Will bump this up. I tried something very similiar awhile ago and it's not voted for enough <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7557454/allow-players-to-switch-maps-while-dm-slash-gm-is-offline-ones-they-have-permission-to" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7557454/allow-players-to-switch-maps-while-dm-slash-gm-is-offline-ones-they-have-permission-to</a>
Marco M.
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
this would be great: having a corkboard map where the players can link the clues and a current map, would make any investigative game great

Edited 1596907125
Joshua, your topic and this one are basically asking for the same feature. And is still an "open" idea. Hummm... wonder if it is possible to merge both forum topics? Does anyone know if that is possible? Sums up the votes to more than 50, a good push for the topic I think. :)

Edited 1599257069
Does anybody know if and how to topics can be merged? Any specific&nbsp; procedure that can be triggered or followed?
*casts Revive Dead*&nbsp; This thread needs to be revived anyway!
There are several APIs that achieve this by the way... MapChange and PageNavigator are both 1-click

Edited 1612445868
When you start using those APIs however you will inevitably find a problem... players can send themselves around maps with commands, but you can't move the player ribbon in the same way! This is obviously a pain for the GM and why there is a separate suggestion for that here (feel free to upvote!):&nbsp; Allow GM to switch maps via API
+1

Edited 1615075801
Marco M.
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Alessandro, I found a pretty cool work around that uses an existing API (it will be pro user only sadly but works like a charm &nbsp;INSTRUCTIONS add the mapchange API to your game add in front of all your pages [GM] . For example, if a page was called Apartment , now it will be called [GM] Apartment (this is important because otherwise the players would be able to access all the pages in the game at any time, but it's not necessary if they only use the buttons you create for them) Create a new page with an unique title, in my case corkboard (it can easily be the landing page of your campaign) Now create 2 macro button available to all players a. corkboard !mc move --targed corkboard b. rejoin !mc rejoin&nbsp; Now your players will be able to get into the corkboard (or any other page you desire) every time they want to review the case or add new connections. And they will come back to current play area by pressing rejoin. I was trying to do the same using the **navigate pages** API, but I couldn't understand how that API is supposed to work...&nbsp; This works really good for investigative games. Here an example of the result More important mapchange doesn't clone tokens, so they will only show the previous map (you can remove the GM from each page to allow them more and more mobility, and create a button showing all allowed maps) previousmaps !mc menu All the non GM maps will be shown and they will be able to move by clicking a button

Edited 1615316584
Thanks for the tip Marco. Detected this scrip&nbsp; some time ago but was not sure how well it works during gaming. Will give it a try, definitively. Nevertheless I see a strong potential benefit to have such feature natively supported in-game. I understand that there are some scripts available that allows some sort of map navigation. Also understood that such scripts are dependent of the API sandobox's availability and resiliency, as well as by potential interference existing with other scripts. I still hope that this sort of idea by any chance gets investigated by roll20 development team. allow me to sum up here this Idea again: POSSIBLE INTEGRATION: Maybe as an additional Icon like the icons(i.e. Archive / Settings / Delete) appearing when GM hovers over the map with the mouse. Would be quick and easy :-) If player wants to com back to the current main map, they just need to select the map with the player ribbon on it. GM would get some sort of option to force all players back onto the Ribbon marked map. POTENTIAL FEATURES &amp; BENEFITS: 1.) Allowing players to re-visit world or town maps even while exploring a dungeon or other map-centric area. This way each player can zoom in and out as they like, to double-check things(e.g. names, specific buildings, etc.) on already discovered areas of dungeon levels, overland maps, etc. IMO Journal entries would not work, as they typically shows the full area, displaying all GM relevant hints. 2.) Allowing characters to reference back to previous locations in a dungeon or other large structure without GM intervention , not disrupting game experience for the other players. 3.) Players are not allowed to move their tokens for the and back, it is just to view and zoom in already explored areas of other GM pre-approved maps 4.) NPC interaction,&nbsp; player could quickly check on referenced maps, check for or notes written there by the group, or add some new notes on the map/landingpage/homebase.&nbsp; 5.) This would be also useful for players when the GM is offline, or currently not available 6.) GM do not need API access, adding to the overall roll20 experience
Just found I'd like this feature and seen this post.&nbsp; Saw no action for a while but have upvoted. I'm running Curse of Strahd for D&amp;D 5e.&nbsp; Multi-layered caslte dungeon, lots of towers.&nbsp; Want players to be able to see maps that I permit to get better idea of where they are and how floors fit together.&nbsp; This feature would be very useful.
I agree that this feature is needed. Pro users can use the Map Change script, but it should still be part of the basic Roll20 package.
+1 Agreed. Useful feature for longer campaigns where players want to refer to maps, etc.
+1 this is a great suggestion. I'm nearly 2 years into my campaign and I'd love to give the players a bigger window.
I would have a number of uses for this. My players have their own lodgings in several cities they travel to frequently, and this would speed things up. They also have access to reference maps that are too complex for handouts, and a landing page with a gallery of important NPC's, and a complex puzzle they are collecting pieces to solve.
+1
Cornelius F.
Pro
Compendium Curator
This will be quite great whenever my players (again) decide to split the party...
+1 this needs to be done.&nbsp;
+1 A lot of times I disclosure locations on Global Map, but players can't see them unless I drag&amp;drop on that map, and then back again. A little&nbsp;cumbersome. Far better if they can freely switch between current map and a bunch of maps I allowed for this feature.
+1 This would help tremendously in games with dynamic overworld maps, strongholds, and the like, which often can't be handled well by handouts.
+1&nbsp; Yes please.
This should definitely be added, my DMs would both find this really useful.
+1
+1 top request from my players
I wanted this last month when I was running a naval encounter.&nbsp; I had to move between a big picture view of four sailing ships in combat and a micro map with two characters sneaking onboard a warship.&nbsp; I am trying out MapChange this week in order to give the players a social interaction board which will keep a catalog of notes on each NPC and hopefully help them to make connections and "remember" the clues I'm dropping.&nbsp; But they need to be able to move in and out of this map fluidly as it will take place during several other encounters.&nbsp; If this works as described, it will be AWESOME!&nbsp; But as I'm not normally a pro subscriber, I would love to see this functionality made into a feature.&nbsp; (I was going to run two instances of Roll20 in separate campaigns but that would be much more cumbersome.)
This is not meant as a 'dig', but a question. Wouldn't it be a simple matter to use the MapChanger API as a basis for this as it manipulated the map view correctly. The only real additions would be tweaks for an interface and automatically logging creation, archive and deletion of maps which could be solved by 'Only log those selected'? I only have limited programming knowledge and realize that there are more complex things going on and direct code injection or use may not be compatible.
I like this idea.
I soooo wait this feature, i can make shops (the players can chek the things on the self), diffrent sceenes, save lot of&nbsp; time and create immersion.
The MapChange API (MOD) has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's been a while and worth bringing up again. Here's a link to a YouTube video by Nick Olivo that describes it:&nbsp;<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3pt03SfR4" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3pt03SfR4</a>
Rick A. said: The MapChange API (MOD) has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's been a while and worth bringing up again. Here's a link to a YouTube video by Nick Olivo that describes it:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3pt03SfR4" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3pt03SfR4</a> With the new Map Folders I hope this script still works. But other than that I assume there will soon be a way without scripts...
I saw the link to this thread in the Map Folders thread, and thought it was worth a development vote.&nbsp;
I really need this
This would be amazing to have!